HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boy, do we ever need a new scoreboard

Old
04-09-2007, 11:18 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHanson View Post
I don't think the league likes it being shown on the video screen during the review.
That's really a bunch of crap. If they make the right call it shouldn't matter.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 11:19 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The current garden does have it's own charm. However, they need to do a couple things.

1. Get rid of the venders in the crowd. We have a food area, we don't need jackasses walking in front of us during play blocking our view.

2. Have the ushers do their jobs. If the ushers actually cared and made sure people don't go to their seats during play, things would be much better.

Of course there's still the fact that if you sit behind the net or on the corner you usually can't see the back of the net on your side and if people stand up you can't see anything at all unless you yourself stand up.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 11:22 PM
GetPucksDeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatzism View Post
[*]Some gimmicky scoring thing like the smoke breathing logo in BUF or the flame-throwers in CGY. Sounds stupid, but I'm childish.
"

And these suckers will be the difference in the Atl/NYR series! That flame is the size of a VW Beetle.

GetPucksDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 11:24 PM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyF27 View Post
The current garden does have it's own charm. However, they need to do a couple things.

1. Get rid of the venders in the crowd. We have a food area, we don't need jackasses walking in front of us during play blocking our view.

2. Have the ushers do their jobs. If the ushers actually cared and made sure people don't go to their seats during play, things would be much better.

Of course there's still the fact that if you sit behind the net or on the corner you usually can't see the back of the net on your side and if people stand up you can't see anything at all unless you yourself stand up.
Well, what I hear from my out of town friends who have seen games at the Garden is that it has its "quirks." And I agree to a certain extent that it's quirks and charm and so on that make a place unique, and Lord knows the last thing I want in a new building is Staples Center East or even FleetShawmutTDBanknorthCenter Garden South, but the current Garden is beyond outdated. Charm and history will follow. Hopefully the fuchsia seats, league-worst ice, narrow hallways, and bathroom lines will not.

Old
04-09-2007, 11:27 PM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetNoneIn View Post

And these suckers will be the difference in the Atl/NYR series! That flame is the size of a VW Beetle.
Didn't know you had flame-throwers, too. Still, that bird head thing looks like the illegitimate spawn of the Tampa Bay Lightning and the Anaheim Ducks' unis.

Old
04-09-2007, 11:29 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetNoneIn View Post

what would we have, a Flamming shield?! Whoah that will get me PUMPED. UP.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 12:00 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 12:20 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHanson
I don't think the league likes it being shown on the video screen during the review.
I've heard that too, but I remember even as recently as earlier this season they would show replays..then they just...stopped. It's dumb. If they don't like their refs being second-guessed or proven wrong, they should...you know..get competent officials.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 01:30 AM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
And when is this renovation supposed to take place? I remember reading and taking a survey on proposed upgrades and such several years ago, and I thought the renovation was going to happen last summer...but it didn't. I just assumed ownership figured there was no point in dumping millions into a renovation when they might be building a new garden in a few years.
Exactly what i was thinking

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 01:33 AM
TheZherdev

Quote:

If they did their job then there would be no way for me to sneak from the 300 level seats to the purple seats now would there!

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 01:40 AM
zacn

Yeah, I really disagree with this post. Fix the screens that show the replays, fine, but leave the old time scoreboard for penalties, score, shots and time. Why does everything have to look sleek and cutting edge? If that's the way people want it, why stop there? Let's get "cool" looking jerseys with a giant ranger (whatever that is) on the front of it. Tradition is great and a place like the garden should keep it's retro look. One day you know that the expansion franchises who are trying to bring people in with flashy gimmicks are only going to stop that and try to copy our crappy looking scoreboard.

zacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 09:23 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
If they did their job then there would be no way for me to sneak from the 300 level seats to the purple seats now would there!
haha, the 300s are better anyway

Old
04-10-2007, 11:20 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
haha, the 300s are better anyway
no, they are not. but to each his own. i always find it odd that people try and diss the seats down low. honestly, how many people would choose to sit in the 400's if front row at the glass was the same price? i konw i'd sit there if i could afford them. they don't cost 5x the $ for no reason. yes, the fans are better in the 400's...but if you're looking to watch the games with fans you can go to a bar. the main reason you go to the Garden is to see your team play, and that part is most enjoyable the closer you are to the action.

Old
04-10-2007, 11:26 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I go to the garden to enjoy watching a hockey game with 18,200 other people. Sitting in an area where there's fans screaming, yelling and chanting is much better than sitting close where people are too busy talking business or about their personal lives than to watch the game.

If everyone in the Garden was like those people in the red seats I wouldn't go to the games.

Old
04-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Dash2110

If I want the best views and angles, I'd watch every game on TV. I go to the games because of the atmosphere. Some people prefer being as close to the action as possible, and I can definitely respect that, but I rather sacrifice distance to be with some fans I can enjoy the game with. It's great talking about players with the people around me, giving each other high-fives when the Rangers, score, etc. Even more so now that I really can't have an experience like that down here when I watch a game.

Don't get me wrong, I've had club seats before, and it's a great experience being so close to the action. But I rather sit up in the 300s and 400s and just feel like I'm more in the "lifeline" of the Garden. Just my preference, that's all.

Dash2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 12:13 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
What!? The Garden is fine... you don't need a new arena or any updates! Its got history, and its historic!

If people want gimmicks like "light bands" and "modernization", then I'm sure they can hop across the river to a particular arena opening next year...

But in all honesty... as someone said earlier: the Garden is all about making money, so as long as its barely working... don't expect it to be replaced. The new Garden is an eventuality that will occur when the current arena has reached the limit of its economical viability. So basically, when the cost of operating the place exceeds the revenue brought in by ticket sales and advertisements, you'll have a new arena no time flat!

Even better, if the Rock is as big of a success as us Devs fans think it will be, it may spur the owners of the Garden into action in their renovation/construction plans.

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 12:28 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

They've been talking about a new MSG for a while. They need to make a building with more seating capacity that has a good view and most importantly makes the sound funnel towards the ice. You want the players to hear everything, make the arena very loud so that you have a real home ice advantage.

Old
04-10-2007, 12:43 PM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
What!? The Garden is fine... you don't need a new arena or any updates! Its got history, and its historic!

If people want gimmicks like "light bands" and "modernization", then I'm sure they can hop across the river to a particular arena opening next year...

But in all honesty... as someone said earlier: the Garden is all about making money, so as long as its barely working... don't expect it to be replaced. The new Garden is an eventuality that will occur when the current arena has reached the limit of its economical viability. So basically, when the cost of operating the place exceeds the revenue brought in by ticket sales and advertisements, you'll have a new arena no time flat!

Even better, if the Rock is as big of a success as us Devs fans think it will be, it may spur the owners of the Garden into action in their renovation/construction plans.
Actually, having the boxes up on the 9th and 10th floors is a big part of this economic viability running out on the current MSG. Any new building is going to have MORE boxes that are at mid-level. That is where the really big bucks are. That's why they should re-examine the price structure for seats and make the seats immediately below the boxes more expensive than the ones even closer to the ice... assuming, of course, that the boxes are at the level everyone would want to be sitting at anyway.

Old
04-10-2007, 12:49 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatzism View Post
Actually, having the boxes up on the 9th and 10th floors is a big part of this economic viability running out on the current MSG. Any new building is going to have MORE boxes that are at mid-level. That is where the really big bucks are. That's why they should re-examine the price structure for seats and make the seats immediately below the boxes more expensive than the ones even closer to the ice... assuming, of course, that the boxes are at the level everyone would want to be sitting at anyway.
I agree with everything you said...except for the pricing structure of seats below the boxes. Why should those be more expensive than ones at the glass?

Old
04-10-2007, 01:47 PM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I agree with everything you said...except for the pricing structure of seats below the boxes. Why should those be more expensive than ones at the glass?
I know... doesn't make much sense. But that's how it was when I was in Montreal for school. The first two rows cost as much as the "club" seats that were at mid level between the two sets of boxes. Everything below the boxes, except for the first two rows behind the glass, was cheaper.

Old
04-10-2007, 03:24 PM
blue2noise

They are looking at also putting boxes UNDER the ice level. Then you walk up three steps and the seats are the first 3 rows.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 03:32 PM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
They are looking at also putting boxes UNDER the ice level. Then you walk up three steps and the seats are the first 3 rows.
Sort of like at Air Canada Centre, right? I think that's why the first several rows are always empty at the beginning of periods. The one game I went to there, you could walk around that ice-level hallway and see players and schmooze with people and eat cocktail franks. Cocktail franks! I thought it was pretty interesting.