HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

San Jose Sharks #9 Prospect

View Poll Results: Who is San Jose's #9 prospect
Rourke Chartier 0 0%
Daniil Tarasov 3 6.12%
Sean Kuraly 14 28.57%
Matt Tennyson 11 22.45%
Travis Oleksuk 0 0%
Noah Rod 6 12.24%
Gabryl Boudreau 4 8.16%
Barclay Goodrow 0 0%
Eriah Hayes 0 0%
Tye McGinn 6 12.24%
JP Anderson 0 0%
Troy Groesnick 3 6.12%
Alexis Vanier 2 4.08%
Alex Shoenborn 0 0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-03-2014, 11:38 AM
SJSharks39

vCash: 500
San Jose Sharks #9 Prospect

1) Mirco Mueller-40.57%
2) Nikolai Goldobin-70.15%
3) Chris Tierney-52.70%
4) Konrad Abelthauser-68.00%
5) Julius Bergman-46.67%
6) Freddie Hamilton-27.69%
7) Michael Brodzinski-27.08%
8)Dan O'Regan-27.27%

Again, if anyone feels I have missed a prospect, please tell me and I will add him to the next poll.

SJSharks39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2014, 01:23 PM
Episkey
Nitrox

vCash: 1010
For the 3rd straight time, Tye McGinn.

Episkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2014, 06:24 PM
SwolePatrol
Eberle=Clutch

4th time Alexis Vanier

SwolePatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2014, 09:23 PM
SactoShark

vCash: 3000
Groesnick. Sounds like he's moved himself into the #1 role in Worcester. And I don't think Niemi is coming back for another term.

SactoShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2014, 11:30 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Really surprised O'Regan won that last one. He's small and he scored at about .6PPG in his 2rd year in college? On top of that, he had an NHL player on his line up until that point... makes you think

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2014, 11:49 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Really surprised O'Regan won that last one. He's small and he scored at about .6PPG in his 2rd year in college? On top of that, he had an NHL player on his line up until that point... makes you think
Nieto wasn't an NHL player at the time. Hell, he was barely an NHL player until halfway through this season. Anyways, O'Regan showed skill his freshman year but at this point, our prospect ranking should be more like tiers.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 12:59 AM
SactoShark

vCash: 3000
What's going on with Galimov? If I recall, there was a lot of late-round steal kinda hype to him.

SactoShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 03:27 AM
Le Rosbeef

We should hope Noah Rod, as a 2nd round draft pick, has more upside than 9th in our relatively weak prospect pool, no?

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Sharksrule04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Rosbeef View Post
We should hope Noah Rod, as a 2nd round draft pick, has more upside than 9th in our relatively weak prospect pool, no?
He should be, but too many people here vote for "NHL Ready" level as opposed to max potential.

No way Tennyson should be getting votes over Rod. Tennyson will never be more than a #5/6 d-man, he's one of those guys who looks good in the levels he's playing at because he reached his max earlier than most, but he doesn't have a high ceiling.

Hamilton is another one with same situation. Neither one should have been above Rod IMO.

Rod should have probably been #6. I also think fans aren't familiar with him yet so they are hesitant to vote him. Its not like he's played in the CHL and had a ton of coverage, so basically people are just going off of the prospects game and the small amount of writing on him.

Sharksrule04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 10:28 AM
SJSharks39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksrule04 View Post
He should be, but too many people here vote for "NHL Ready" level as opposed to max potential.

No way Tennyson should be getting votes over Rod. Tennyson will never be more than a #5/6 d-man, he's one of those guys who looks good in the levels he's playing at because he reached his max earlier than most, but he doesn't have a high ceiling.

Hamilton is another one with same situation. Neither one should have been above Rod IMO.

Rod should have probably been #6. I also think fans aren't familiar with him yet so they are hesitant to vote him. Its not like he's played in the CHL and had a ton of coverage, so basically people are just going off of the prospects game and the small amount of writing on him.
The reason I put it into a poll is so people can vote on who THEY feel is the top prospect. There are no boundaries to that. If they value NHL readiness more then that is what they will vote for.

Old
08-04-2014, 12:08 PM
boredatwork

I think a 5/6 pmd even with limited upside is more valuable in todays NHL than a 3rd liner with unknown potential. So I voted Tennyson over Rod.

boredatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 02:33 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Rosbeef View Post
I have Rod as a top 10 (I'd rank him right at 10). Want to see another year from him but I do think he has good potential and could break top 5 at the end of the year.

08-04-2014, 02:34 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
No way Tennyson should be getting votes over Rod.
This.

Patty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Sharksrule04

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks39 View Post
The reason I put it into a poll is so people can vote on who THEY feel is the top prospect. There are no boundaries to that. If they value NHL readiness more then that is what they will vote for.
I never said people can't vote for who THEY feel like voting for. I was simply giving the reason for why Rod isn't higher on our list.

That being said I still think it's ridiculous to vote for NHL readiness. 4th liners and 5/6 dmen are extremely easy to find. You can sign one off free agency for under 1.5M. The goal of drafting/signing young prospects is for them to grow into something more valuable to the team and be a difference maker. Depth is imperative to winning but it's a lot harder to acquire players who are top 9 forwards/top 4 dmen so I place much higher value on the young guys who have that upside.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I encourage people to vote for those players if they value NHL readiness but I will say I am happy they aren't running/scouting for my team.

Old
08-05-2014, 10:37 AM
SJSharks39

Quote:
I never said people can't vote for who THEY feel like voting for. I was simply giving the reason for why Rod isn't higher on our list.

That being said I still think it's ridiculous to vote for NHL readiness. 4th liners and 5/6 dmen are extremely easy to find. You can sign one off free agency for under 1.5M. The goal of drafting/signing young prospects is for them to grow into something more valuable to the team and be a difference maker. Depth is imperative to winning but it's a lot harder to acquire players who are top 9 forwards/top 4 dmen so I place much higher value on the young guys who have that upside.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I encourage people to vote for those players if they value NHL readiness but I will say I am happy they aren't running/scouting for my team.
I feel like most scouts put some sort of emphasis on NHL readiness. Maybe not a huge one. But they still put some.

Old
08-05-2014, 12:38 PM
Sharksrule04

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks39 View Post
I feel like most scouts put some sort of emphasis on NHL readiness. Maybe not a huge one. But they still put some.
Agreed, but I think that happens more with top end talents at least in terms of the draft. You'll see some players go a few spots earlier or have some higher ratings because they may not be a #1 D-man but they are a 2 or 3 and can help the team out now, or maybe sooner than some of the potential #1 Dmen. I think you'll also see teams who need help immediately jump at some of those players.

Old
08-05-2014, 04:34 PM
SJSharks39

Quote:
Agreed, but I think that happens more with top end talents at least in terms of the draft. You'll see some players go a few spots earlier or have some higher ratings because they may not be a #1 D-man but they are a 2 or 3 and can help the team out now, or maybe sooner than some of the potential #1 Dmen. I think you'll also see teams who need help immediately jump at some of those players.
That is very true. I completely agree. I think that teams like Detroit have had the most success drafting in the NHL. The reason being that they don't reach for NHL readiness but instead go for the highest upside. They are only able to do this because they have a competitive team in the NHL and don't need the help whereas a team like Edmonton need instant help, so they may go for someone that is more NHL ready and end up rushing their prospects. But they did a good job with Nurse last year in my opinion.