HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Newer OT Thread - Earthquake Edition

Old
07-28-2014, 05:24 PM
Philly85
Moody'

vCash: 500
I like the Mighty Kale smoothie from Jugo Juice, that's about it

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 03:12 PM
Beerfish

Now beet tops, those are a delicacy. My raspberry bushes are producing well this year. I am going to freeze a bunch and make some raspberry pear wine this fall I think. (I have a pear tree in my back yard.)

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 03:24 PM
Philly85
Moody'

That sounds amazing

Old
07-29-2014, 07:30 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Now beet tops, those are a delicacy. My raspberry bushes are producing well this year. I am going to freeze a bunch and make some raspberry pear wine this fall I think. (I have a pear tree in my back yard.)
I have a rapsberry bush and there was a hell of a lot more fruit on there when they were still green. I think the birds are eating them because there sure doesn't seem to be as many now...and I've only picked a handful.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 11:38 PM
awesomo
HARD!

kale chips are good

so easy to make

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 01:01 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I have a rapsberry bush and there was a hell of a lot more fruit on there when they were still green. I think the birds are eating them because there sure doesn't seem to be as many now...and I've only picked a handful.
My raspberries weren't very good this year. I'm not quite sure why. Very tasty last year, but just bland this year.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 01:57 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Why are you guys talking about Raspberries in past tense. As if the crop is already done?

Mine are going fine and with a varietal that is longterm to the region and that produces for around 6weeks in a row and with abundant great tasting berries.

Raspberries (at least those varietals suitable to the region) grow like wild here and need next to no maintaining.

If you got canes doing poorly this year I'd wonder whether you bought them from some hardware/gardening store which is the wrong, wrong, wrong, thing to do.

Places like Home Depot, crappy tire etc order whatever they see has attractive price that they can dump on unwitting consumers that assume they're getting varietals actually suitable for the region they're sold in and not South Carolina..

Don't ever assume that.

Best bet for getting great Raspberry locally suited varietal is checking out the neighbors that have the most abundant raspberry canes that are doing well and asking if they didn't mind giving you a few canes(which spread like wildfire anyways)

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 03:32 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Why are you guys talking about Raspberries in past tense. As if the crop is already done?

Mine are going fine and with a varietal that is longterm to the region and that produces for around 6weeks in a row and with abundant great tasting berries.

Raspberries (at least those varietals suitable to the region) grow like wild here and need next to no maintaining.

If you got canes doing poorly this year I'd wonder whether you bought them from some hardware/gardening store which is the wrong, wrong, wrong, thing to do.

Places like Home Depot, crappy tire etc order whatever they see has attractive price that they can dump on unwitting consumers that assume they're getting varietals actually suitable for the region they're sold in and not South Carolina..

Don't ever assume that.

Best bet for getting great Raspberry locally suited varietal is checking out the neighbors that have the most abundant raspberry canes that are doing well and asking if they didn't mind giving you a few canes(which spread like wildfire anyways)
Depends on the type of Raspberry bush, like you said. I have one that is for our zone, which generally fruits in late July to mid August...late August. But like I said earlier, there were a lot more berries earlier and now a bunch have seemed to disappear with no trace.

I think I saw a couple of sparrows with red tinged beaks....so they are probably the culprits.

And the ones I've picked this year are huge and taste fantastic BTW. You gotta wait till they just slide off the plant. If there is any slight opposition for them coming off...and I'm talking pretty slight indeed, don't pick em yet.

Old
08-04-2014, 11:15 AM
Kesselmania

Looking to get into Oil and Gas Industry

Good morning everyone!

I'm a twenty six year old originally from Ontario, moved to Calgary in June of last year for greener pastures. I found a job in my field (recruiting for a staffing agency) and have been doing for almost ten months now. I have realized it potentially will take a long time to make anywhere near close to what I want to be making. Naturally I have been looking into the oil and gas industry. I have been on vacation in Ontario for two weeks now and head back to the YYC August 10th.
When I get back I plan on getting a few of the necessary tickets to make me more attractive to the oil and gas companies. There's a few sticking points that I want to address in this post. Number one I have a surgically repaired knee/ACL (back in 2011), it hasn't given me any problems but I would like to avoid ever getting that surgery again if possible. So a job with tons of kneeling wouldn't be ideal. Also I am not the greatest with heights, so I'd like to avoid a job like that at all costs. Finally I would love to get a job that pays for flights back home. It would be awesome if I could travel home every two/three weeks to see my family.
My friend was recently hired on in Fort Mac as a skilled labourer on the pipeline. He is basically a welder's helper. Says the hardest part of his job is the weather conditions (being out in the sun in long sleeves for 12 hours). He's recommended that I try and be a side boom operator. I would like to get my career started right away and most the side boom operator jobs I've seen have needed experience. Any advice someone in or retired from the industry can provide me in this thread is greatly appreciated. Rigs or pipeline? Labourer or equipment operator? Least physical entry level position? (not afraid of work just re-injury lol) ... Thanks for reading!

Kesselmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 06:16 PM
Philly85
Moody'

you demanding bruh

Old
08-04-2014, 09:42 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Tradesmen are in pretty decent supply right now. If you have too many restrictions, they're just going to find someone else.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 12:10 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Not sure if it was serious post. Coming to an Oiler forum with a Kessel fan name and asking for help? Kind of rules that out from the start.

Next what cushy job can I get for 100K/yr cept I don't want to work, scrared of heights, previous injuries..

Wants more paid plane trips than Alison Redford..

seriously

Put that on a job application and Mcdonalds might be leery. Especially the Kessel part..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 02:24 AM
Fuhryous

Not to sound disrespectful, but good luck with paid plane trips back to Ontario to visit family when you live in Calgary. To put it in perspective, my dad has been a supervisor at a mine north of Yellowknife for about 10-15 years now and works 2 in, 2 out. They fly him from Edmonton to the mine and back, but he is on his own dime to get to/from Edmonton back to where my parents live in Saskatchewan. I also have two nephews who have worked in the oil patch for the last 3-4 years and they have to pay their own way to and from work (the whole distance) and arrange for their own travel. They also live in Saskatchewan, one works at a rig in NE B.C. and the other was at one near Lloydminster.

You might be able to find a job that flies employees to/from a certain location for employment reasons, but that is it.

Fuhryous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 09:49 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

The military used to give us plane rides to various parts of the country for pretty cheap when my Dad was in the military.

Join the forces.

Old
08-05-2014, 04:23 PM
Beerfish

I am going to go on a wasp killing spree pretty soon. Got stung on Saturday right behind the knee and it is still sore and red and swollen. Little bahstads.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 04:35 PM
Fuhryous

Quote:
I am going to go on a wasp killing spree pretty soon. Got stung on Saturday right behind the knee and it is still sore and red and swollen. Little bahstads.
Wasps truly are the a-hole of the flying insect world. They don't like the clothes you wear, they bite. They like the way you smell, they bite. There is no pleasing them. That "One Shot" spray works well, it's also kind of an expanding foam so if they have a nest in behind a crevice, it'll get to them. It's pretty effective at killing them fast too. You can get it at Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire if you don't already have it.

Old
08-05-2014, 04:38 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Ouch, had that before. Mine was very itchy.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 06:37 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
I second the suggestion for the one-shot spray. It works great. Wait until the evening when they're inactive. You can hit it from 15 feet away.

In fact, I was reading somewhere that a cop suggested keeping that stuff in the house for security. If you ever get an intruder it works better than pepper spray.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 11:06 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I second the suggestion for the one-shot spray. It works great. Wait until the evening when they're inactive. You can hit it from 15 feet away.

In fact, I was reading somewhere that a cop suggested keeping that stuff in the house for security. If you ever get an intruder it works better than pepper spray.
Third that motion. I used it on a nest that was on a place under the roof that was impossible to reach without a really long ladder. Pretty much sprayed that stuff right into the bottom hole of the nest. It not only sticks and expands instantely, the aim on the can is pretty unreal.

Old
08-06-2014, 12:25 AM
Fuhryous

One crazy thing I learned about wasps is when you kill them with a fly swatter or the old "injure and stomp" routine, they give off a pheromone that alerts other nearby wasps from their nest that a wasp is under attack. Other drones then come around to see what's up so this is why you will sometimes see one or two more start buzzing around close to you after you've wiped one out.

About 4 years ago, the ********ers started building a nest inside our house from the bottom of our exterior side door casing and up into the pantry wall. At night, we could hear them walking around and buzzing...it was kind of alarming-haha. We knew it was a matter of days before they chewed through the drywall and were in the house. We had to call an exterminator to come wipe them out. I asked if the method he was using would work when he started working and he said "If I have to come back, I'll do it all for free". We never saw him or another wasp near our side door . It was kind of neat what he did, he sprayed some industrial killer all up and down the casing then he took an insecticide powder and more of the spray, then made a paste out of the two. He then filled in their entry with the paste and he said the ones that do come back will die when they touch it or walk along the casing where I sprayed trying to get in. He also said the ones which are currently inside, along with the queen, will all die in a day or two after the paste dries. His reasoning was as the drones try to reopen the entry, they are getting this stuff on them and they will wipe out the nest as they carry it on their legs and bodies back up inside the wall and into the nest.

Just like he said, they were all toast in about 30 hours as we never heard them at all the next evening after he was there.

Old
08-06-2014, 12:49 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

My crazy conspiracy cannundrum of the day:

Was watching CNN tonight and they came up, magically with a possible remedy but not quite cure for Ebola based on 2 Americans with the current strain.

Hmmmm....current strain + recent out break + Africa + unknown beginning = Pharmaceutical company finds this fix.

Fix indeed, the fix is in.

Old
08-06-2014, 07:16 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
My crazy conspiracy cannundrum of the day:

Was watching CNN tonight and they came up, magically with a possible remedy but not quite cure for Ebola based on 2 Americans with the current strain.

Hmmmm....current strain + recent out break + Africa + unknown beginning = Pharmaceutical company finds this fix.

Fix indeed, the fix is in.

It sounds like only individuals are being given the experimental procedure due to the extensive controls and quarantines required to do the tests.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2014, 07:39 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/touch...tml?rel=847766

Good riddance, Ms. Redford.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2014, 12:04 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Ding Dong...

Toss that lying, thieving, corrupt, female mutt in jail.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2014, 12:46 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

So we were sitting in my back yard with a couple we've known for 20+ years and their son comes over.

Saw this kid grow up from 3 months...now he's about 20.

To my surprise, he tells me he's a rapper, I had no idea. I guess he started when he was about 13.

So he asks me if I want to listen to one of his raps, and I say sure. But I don't want you to do a tune you've already written. I want you to give me an improvised free style about your impressions of my back yard...look...there's a BBQ, a patio set, roses, raspberry bushes fire pit, tomato plants, shed etc. You have lots to work with.

He was really reluctant to do a freestyle off the hop, but me and his Dad goaded him into it after 15 minutes. (Being a fairly seasoned vet of the music scene and improve, I wanted to see, really, how good he could do).

To make a long story short, the dude blew me away with some of the beats and words he free styled with, incorporating pretty much everything in my back yard into a very well honed rappers tale, with some really killer inflections on rhythms and patterns and basically telling a heart felt tale.

Does anyone here know of some open rap venues that he could get involved with? This kid is deep and talented indeed.

Last edited by Dorian2: 08-06-2014 at 12:57 PM.