HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Going to the minors

Old
04-10-2007, 07:52 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshutout33 View Post
Jason York learned to skate last year.

News to me; he could borrow my wife's Stamm book if he wants.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 10:56 AM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVIsles View Post
I dont believe in the whole natural talent thing, I believe if you have the heart and desire to make it, you will make it,,, I think some people who appear to be naturally talented, but play like they dont give a ****, are people who might have been pressured when they were younger and never really wanted it for themselves and maybe resent the game

I don't buy that. I don't think there's such thing as "natural hockey talent" but there is certainly such thing as natural athletic ability. You need a hell of alot of it to get anywhere close to the NHL, no matter your heart or desire.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Injektilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkd88 View Post
The question to ask is this: Could you take the other best athletes (just stick with NA Sports for now) and get them in the NHL quickly.

Could Kobe, Dwayne Wade, LeBron, Shaq, Reggie Bush, Tom Brady make it in the NHL with professional training? How long would it take them?

Right now, I don't think they could, skating at the NHL level is just too difficult to master in only a few years. If they'd started playing hockey at age 6, there's probably a decent chance they'd make it, provided all the breaks went their way.

Old
04-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Jeff Goldblum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injektilo View Post
I don't buy that. I don't think there's such thing as "natural hockey talent" but there is certainly such thing as natural athletic ability. You need a hell of alot of it to get anywhere close to the NHL, no matter your heart or desire.
While there may be no such thing as 'natural hockey talent,' many of the specific skills required to be a proficient hockey player come more naturally to some than others. Those who have more of those specific skills will appear to have a 'natural hockey talent,' as the skills they possess are the ones required to be a hockey player.

Jeff Goldblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 11:24 AM
power_def

some great answers!

Wow, I stirred up quite a little thread. Some great answers.

power_def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Injektilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris the Blade View Post
While there may be no such thing as 'natural hockey talent,' many of the specific skills required to be a proficient hockey player come more naturally to some than others. Those who have more of those specific skills will appear to have a 'natural hockey talent,' as the skills they possess are the ones required to be a hockey player.

well yeah, that's basically what i mean. alot of those same natural skills that benefit a hockey player would probably also be very beneficial to other athletes, though maybe not to the same degree.