HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

tix still available in atlanta, now discounted...

Old
04-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
tix still available in atlanta, now discounted...

just wanted to let you know, i just got a call from the thrashers trying to sell me tix. theyve still got a ton of tix left, and theyre even discounting em to get rid of em.

if you wanna make the drive here, you can still get some tickets.

just go to the thrashers site, get the # for the atlanta spirit, call, buy.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 04:37 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Jesus H Christ. Not sold out for their first playoff appearance? Discounted????!!

Hopefully we'll fill that arena and make it hard on the Thrashers fans.

This post is for Peter Prucha

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 04:45 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Jesus H Christ. Not sold out for their first playoff appearance? Discounted????!!

Hopefully we'll fill that arena and make it hard on the Thrashers fans.

This post is for Peter Prucha
Beats being a team that has 3 Cups in 10 yrs and another 1st place visit and the Devils still can't sellout a F'in playoff game and actually offer discounted tix as to not be totally humiliated when they have empties all over the CAA!

If a team can't sellout a playoff game they simply have no business being in that market.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Tek_Jansen

Send a message via AIM to Tek_Jansen
Penguins are my team, though I currently live in Atlanta. I think I'll wait to see if Penguins come here.

Tek_Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

what was really funny though was when the guy was like, ok, well i se eyouve already got your tickets for the first round, how about the second round, will you be interested in seeing the thrashers in the second round. i said, well, id like to help you out, but i'll be watching the Rangers on TV in the second round.

Took him a few seconds to get what i was talking about

Old
04-11-2007, 05:27 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
what was really funny though was when the guy was like, ok, well i se eyouve already got your tickets for the first round, how about the second round, will you be interested in seeing the thrashers in the second round. i said, well, id like to help you out, but i'll be watching the Rangers on TV in the second round.

Took him a few seconds to get what i was talking about
hahaha! lol

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 05:30 PM
VJ Rangerfan

Send a message via AIM to VJ Rangerfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Jansen View Post
Penguins are my team, though I currently live in Atlanta. I think I'll wait to see if Penguins come here.
You'll have to wait a few more years, b/c its not happening this one!

VJ Rangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 05:35 PM
GarretJoseph*

when i think about this, its pretty sad.

did quebec, winnipeg or hartford have trouble selling out in the playoffs?

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Balej20*

That is pathetic. This league needs contraction.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 05:51 PM
The Sneak

Don't fret kids. The games will be sellouts. And when the newbs of Atlanta get their taste of playoff hockey they'll be back. It's been what? 30 years since the last NHL playoff game in this town?

By the way, NY must be hockey crazy right now with all 4 NY/NJ teams in the post season. I'm sure it's all over the back pages. I'm a bit jealous

The Sneak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 05:56 PM
MasonRanger

Send a message via AIM to MasonRanger
Atlanta is just one of those towns where should not be a hockey team. The NHL should contract about 4 teams I think, it will further concentrate the talent and they won't have to worry about teams not even selling out home playoff games.

And the fact that the Devils still can't sell out is just hilarious.

MasonRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 06:00 PM
GetPucksDeep

Puhleeze.

It takes a while to grow hockey fans - it's like a hardwood forest, not a lawn.

Atlanta's average attendance this year was greater than the capacity of the Winnipeg arena, so that argument can die here and now.

A good run in the playoffs (which they'll have, 2nd round at least ) will do wonders for their season ticket base next year. The Thrashers own the rights to the arena (beer parking food, etc) and I believe are #5 in the league in corporate sponsorship. Owners bought the team so cheap they have little downside risk. Don't worry about them making money.

Atlanta's a tough and fickle sports town, with two major college football and hoop programs close by as well as two major NASCAR races and assorted golf tournaments (the toughest ticket in sports down the road last week) and four pro- sports.

The metro area also supports an ECHL hockey team, and they and the Thrashers have been known to draw a combined 30,000 for hockey on a Saturday night in Atlanta.

ps - as of yesterday, Scotia wasn't sold out either. So who wants to contract the Sens???

GetPucksDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 06:05 PM
MasonRanger

Send a message via AIM to MasonRanger
If NHL Hockey in Atlanta can't compete with a minor league hockey team, golf, and cars making left turns for 4 hours then I would be worried.

MasonRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Dash2110

I don't know about calling for contraction in Atlanta yet. The fans that do show up look very enthusiastic. Evidently the base is just not that large right now. I say give them the window of opportunity to prove they can be a viable hockey town, and if you want to contract, turn your attention to the teams that have been around significantly longer and still have low levels of support.

Dash2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Nich

this only validates my opinion that Atlanta has the worst fans ever

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
this only validates my opinion that Atlanta has the worst fans ever
I was watching the Nats-Braves game last night and they said they can't draw despite over a decade of dominance in the division. There were only 18,000 last night despite beautiful weather.

As for the Thrashers poster above who invoked Winnipeg, why don't we compare the respective populations of greater Atlanta and greater Winnipeg.

Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

If I didnt have school and had a way to get off of work for atleast a day or two I would drive down there in a heart beat. However I cannot

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 06:31 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
when i think about this, its pretty sad.

did quebec, winnipeg or hartford have trouble selling out in the playoffs?

lol WHAT PLAYOFFS?

hahaha

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 06:40 PM
GetPucksDeep

To say that the city which put on the largest Olympics the world has ever seen is a crappy sports town is myopic.

Competition for sports dollars here is tough. You can't see a seasons worth of ACC basketball in NYC. You cant go to SEC football in NYC. etc. etc. Atlanta has things you can't do in NYC. (shocking I know).

The hardcore base of Thrasher fans is a mix of nothern transplants and southerners who became hockey fans back when the Flames were here. But for transplants, they have to decide to give up on their old team and become Thrasher fans, otherwise, they just come out twice a year when the team they grew up with is in town. I've seen a grown man change jerseys in the middle of a Flyer/Thrasher game depending on who is winning. It's tough to let go and give your heart to the expansion club. I still occasionally wince at the sight of the spoked B.

Atlanta's population is 50% black. They are not natural hockey fans. Nonetheless, black attendance at Philips is up every year, and is now at the point where blacks in the stands aren't 'token.'

But all this takes time. The team invests a lot in supporting youth hockey. Those kids are future season ticket holders, just as so many middle aged guys like me that I meet at games played hockey as kids up north.

Old
04-11-2007, 06:55 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530

I wish I could get down to Atlanta..I'm going to game 4 but it's so frustrating seeing this.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetNoneIn View Post
To say that the city which put on the largest Olympics the world has ever seen is a crappy sports town is myopic.

Competition for sports dollars here is tough. You can't see a seasons worth of ACC basketball in NYC. You cant go to SEC football in NYC. etc. etc. Atlanta has things you can't do in NYC. (shocking I know).

The hardcore base of Thrasher fans is a mix of nothern transplants and southerners who became hockey fans back when the Flames were here. But for transplants, they have to decide to give up on their old team and become Thrasher fans, otherwise, they just come out twice a year when the team they grew up with is in town. I've seen a grown man change jerseys in the middle of a Flyer/Thrasher game depending on who is winning. It's tough to let go and give your heart to the expansion club. I still occasionally wince at the sight of the spoked B.

Atlanta's population is 50% black. They are not natural hockey fans. Nonetheless, black attendance at Philips is up every year, and is now at the point where blacks in the stands aren't 'token.'

But all this takes time. The team invests a lot in supporting youth hockey. Those kids are future season ticket holders, just as so many middle aged guys like me that I meet at games played hockey as kids up north.
yeah, im definitely not in favor of contraction of the Thrashers, still though, one would like to think they could sell out a playoff game.

regardless, i hope to see most of you down there tomorrow night.

LETS GO RANGERS WOOOOOOOOOT!

Old
04-11-2007, 07:10 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Not everyone who goes to games in the Garden live in NYC. I would say that a large portion live outside of NYC or at least Manhattan.

So saying the half of ATL's population is black means nothing because I'm sure there are suburbs of Atlanta.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 08:02 PM
GetPucksDeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyF27 View Post
Not everyone who goes to games in the Garden live in NYC. I would say that a large portion live outside of NYC or at least Manhattan.

So saying the half of ATL's population is black means nothing because I'm sure there are suburbs of Atlanta.
Metro Atlanta is 50% black - the city is more than 50% black.

Old
04-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetNoneIn View Post
Metro Atlanta is 50% black - the city is more than 50% black.
yeah, that sounds about right.

Old
04-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Leprechaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
just wanted to let you know, i just got a call from the thrashers trying to sell me tix. theyve still got a ton of tix left, and theyre even discounting em to get rid of em.

if you wanna make the drive here, you can still get some tickets.

just go to the thrashers site, get the # for the atlanta spirit, call, buy.
Great...I just read this post right now and five minutes ago i bought tickets for game 5 at the regular price.....

Oh well, just happy to be going to the games.

Also, in regard to the unpopularity of hockey in atlanta, I am not complaining. Tickets are readily available and are far less expensive. Not every team can have a huge, hardcore fan base. And give them time to grow. In just the few months that I have been going to school here I can see the popularity of hockey grow. Obviously it will never be huge, but thats no reason to say that the franchise should not exist. It's a business, and as long as someone can turn a profit from a hockey team in Atlanta, there will be one.

Last edited by Leprechaun: 04-11-2007 at 08:47 PM.
Leprechaun is offline   Reply With Quote