HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

PTD 2014 Thread

Old
08-08-2014, 08:01 AM
ResilientBeast
MLD Draft Czar

vCash: 50
Colorado is excited to complete our top 4 with the selection of Jay Bouwmeester, D

ResilientBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 08:11 AM
Hawkey Town 18

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by papershoes View Post
Edmonton is pleased to select two of their own:

Steve Smith -- Defence

Ryan Smyth -- LW
Steve Smith has already been selected

Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 01:22 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Welcome to the Devils,

Chris Drury, C/LW

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 01:30 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Welcome to the Devils,

Chris Drury, C/LW

quoipourquoi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 01:52 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Seriously, I would have taken Chris Drury, like, a year ago if I had remembered him. I don't know how he fell off my radar.

The Detroit Red Wings select Scott Hannan (1979) as their final defenseman. He will play on the 2nd pairing with Ulf Samuelsson. It came down to him, two other bigger names from the 1990s, and another younger player.

The Detroit Red Wings also select Manon Rheaume (1972).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Globe and Mail, August 29, 1991
Manon Rheaume was 5 when she pleaded with her father to let her be the goaltender for the novice hockey team he coached. Fourteen years later, Rheaume is still in the nets. And last Tuesday she became the first female goaltender to play in a Quebec Major Junior Hockey League game, albeit an exhibition contest.

The wiry, slender-faced Rheaume stopped 15 of 18 shots before a pulled leg muscle forced her to leave midway through the second period. The Trois-Rivieres Draveurs, for whom she played, were leading the Saint-Jean Lynx 4-3 at the time and eventually won 6-5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Globe and Mail, August 29, 1991
Rheaume, whose family is a friend of Draveur coach Gaston Drapeau, earned an invitation because Drapeau was impressed by her play on the Canadian women's hockey team last year. She has compiled the third-best average among the six goaltenders invited to the Draveur camp. One of the six netminders has already been cut because "Manon was better than he was," Drapeau explained.

Rheaume has no aspirations for a professional hockey career. She has registered to attend university in January and is planning to be a teacher. But she has earned plenty of praise for what she has accomplished on the ice in recent weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Globe and Mail, November 27, 1991
Three goals and three stitches and it was all over.

But Manon Rheaume became the first woman ever to play in a regularly scheduled major junior game.

Rheaume, a goaltender with the Trois-Rivieres Draveurs, was called in to replace goalie Jocelyn Thibault midway through the second period in a game last night against the Granby Bisons of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. The match was tied 5-5.

The 2,025 spectators rose to their feet and chanted "Manon, Manon, Manon," as the 19-year-old woman made her historic skate towards the net.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Globe and Mail, September 15, 1992
The Tampa Bay Lightning is a National Hockey League expansion team in its first training camp, which might explain why Manon Rheaume, the woman goaltender from Lac-Beauport, Que., has been the story so far.

Still, Rheaume, who played in the Quebec major junior hockey league last season, has exceeded expectations. "She's not out of place," said the Lightning's vice-president of communications Gerry Helper. "In fact, she's been pretty good. We didn't know what to expect, but she has made some major-league saves."

Rheaume, a training-camp tryout, has played three periods. She recorded a shutout and allowed three goals in each of the two other periods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Globe and Mail, September 24, 1992
The most important thing to Manon Rheaume is that she'll never have to look back and wonder what might have been. The 20-year-old goaltender became the first woman to play in one of the four major pro sports leagues last night when she started for the National Hockey League expansion Tampa Bay Lightning against the St. Louis Blues in an exhibition game.

Rheaume led the team onto the ice to a standing ovation from the crowd in the less-than-full Florida State Fairgrounds Expo Hall, which seats just over 10,000.

The opportunity, not the historical significance, was what made it so special for Rheaume, who began playing hockey with her brothers as a 5-year-old and often dreamed of reaching the NHL.

"For me, it's just a chance to play," she said before the game. "I want to see what I can do. If I don't try, then I don't know what I can do."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Globe and Mail, September 26, 1992
"When I started as an atom, the parents would say 'Why is a girl taking the place of a boy who could make it to the NHL some day?' " Rheaume said. "Later, when all the guys in bantam were drafted by a midget team, I was left behind, not allowed to have a normal evolution as a player.

"I always had to fight for equality because I was a girl."

As such, Rheaume said she had no qualms about accepting the tryout with Tampa Bay, although many skeptics dismissed the move as a publicity stunt.

"The guys were reluctant at first but, after the first practice, I was respected and accepted. I didn't go to practice in makeup, to flirt, I went there to play as hard as everyone else," she said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Globe and Mail, September 28, 1992
A publicity stunt? You betcha. Esposito is trying to nurture a National Hockey League franchise in a state that is supposed to provide safe haven for people who want to escape ice. He needed a gimmick to haul in a few fans and attract some media attention. So what?

Any time a person becomes the first to do something - whether male or female, athlete or astronaut - it's seen as having been contrived to attract attention. So some people will dismiss it as having no other meaningful purpose. And if it's a woman entering male-only territory it attracts a media feeding frenzy.

What should we be making of this one, this woman in the NHL? Rheaume is an adult, capable of making her own decisions. She wasn't being exploited. She was offered an opportunity to gauge her hockey ability at a top level. So she took it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Globe and Mail, November 9, 1992
Last week, when the Atlanta Knights' starting goaltender was called up to Tampa Bay, Rheaume signed a contract and became the Knights' backup goalie. She also became the first female player to sign a professional hockey contract.

In many respects, Rheaume's trip into the male hockey domain represents a microcosm of the female athlete's lot in the sports world. Like many women athletes, Rheaume has had to put up with a lot of silly questions, a lot of sexist comments and a lot of people suspicious of her motives. And, whether she likes it or not, she's expected to be a champion of women's rights.

Rheaume maintains all she wants to do is play hockey and see how good she can be at the professional level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Free Press, April 1, 1993
Ubriaco left a note on her locker: ''Have a cigar. Now you're one of the boys.'' Ubriaco said he hopes Rheaume can play regularly next year, whether for the Knights or another Tampa Bay farm club.

Old
08-08-2014, 02:13 PM
Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post

The Detroit Red Wings also select Manon Rheaume (1972).
Didn't see that coming.

Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 02:25 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Lu View Post
Didn't see that coming.
I'm going to use her as a backup to divert media attention away from my skaters after a big loss. She's the embodiment of Chris Pronger stealing pucks.

Old
08-08-2014, 02:58 PM
Selfish Man
The Wrong Company

Pittsburgh selects Robyn Regrhr, D.

Selfish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 04:41 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Devils select an offensive defenseman who would give up his great hair later in his career to develop a more well-rounded game.

Mathieu Schneider, D

Old
08-08-2014, 05:03 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

With our skipped pick Isles picks Tomas Sandström, W

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 06:38 PM
ResilientBeast
MLD Draft Czar

vCash: 50
The Colorado Avalanche select, Jamie Langenbrunner, RW . He'll help do the dirty work with Stamkos and an undrafted left winger.

Excellent Bio

ResilientBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 06:55 PM
Selfish Man
The Wrong Company

Pittsburgh selects Brian Skrudland, C.

Selfish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 08:22 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Am I up?

Old
08-08-2014, 10:08 PM
papershoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
Steve Smith has already been selected
Oops… Umm…

Andrei Markov -- Defence

papershoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 11:26 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Isles picks Bob Probert, W

Old
08-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Hawkey Town 18

Papershoes was skipped at 6:26 AM EST, Deja Lu has until 12:26 PM EST

Will PM both

Old
08-09-2014, 10:12 AM
Ret

Calgary is proud to select Alexei Yashin, C.

Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 10:27 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selfish Man View Post
Making up picks... Pittsburgh selects Tom Barrasso, G and Glen Wesley, D.
I was wondering when Wesley would go.....underrated IMO.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 11:40 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 800
I'll take Igor Liba, LW.

Bio (thanks to MadArcand): http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=171

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 11:58 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
I'll take Igor Liba, LW.

Bio (thanks to MadArcand): http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=171

Ha! Nice pick! I was sure he was born in the 50s, shame on me.

Old
08-09-2014, 12:49 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

I'm really surprised that Liba is the first non-NHL Euro to go (or second if you include Larionov), but I guess his Golden Stick record makes it plausible.

Old
08-09-2014, 12:53 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
I'm really surprised that Liba is the first non-NHL Euro to go (or second if you include Larionov), but I guess his Golden Stick record makes it plausible.
I think it's his 2-way game that makes him be selected over the guy I suspect you're thinking of

Old
08-09-2014, 12:54 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
I think it's his 2-way game that makes him be selected over the guy I suspect you're thinking of
It's not even just that other guy; it's just about anyone. I don't think most of us even heard of Liba until MadArcand profiled him 2 years ago

Old
08-09-2014, 01:00 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
It's not even just that other guy; it's just about anyone. I don't think most of us even heard of Liba until MadArcand profiled him 2 years ago
Well most non-nhl euros thats considered all time greats were born pre-1960 while most born afterwards has played in the NHL to some extent.

Old
08-09-2014, 01:18 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 800
Quote:
Truth be told, my knowledge of non-NHL players leave much to be desired.I had Liba in the last ATD and thought he fitted in nicely on my 4th line with Kopitar and Guerin.There's obviously one player playing the same position as Liba that was available and better, but I decided not to go down that road.It could be that I missed another better non-NHL player, but either way I don't think it changes much given he's my 12th forward (though I suspect he's higher than that in a vacuum).

Last edited by BenchBrawl: 08-09-2014 at 01:24 PM.
BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote