HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2014 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2014, 08:06 PM
hockeylegend11

vCash: 500
spits

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
Chiming in....I'd rather head for the bottom of the tank. Don't think I could handle that guy in sect 4 who yells ' I a fraidy cat' for a whole season. Rather wait for bargains during training camp, maybe another Diodati falls our way. Rather trade Brown than Burns. Burns has much more potential. Agree we need a backup goalie but Paterson will be too expensive. Would take Kuchmey back in a heartbeat.
Bottom line if you're trading good picks it better be for a top 6 forward or a top 2 Dman who will play here 2 years. Meanwhile I'd love to hear the GM's secretary say 'Warren there's a call for you, it's Logan. He replies which one........
Burns has more offensive upside then Brown, Brown is better defensively, more trade value not that I am promoting it goes to Burns
Having said that a lot of youth on the back end moving forward , not counting Murphy, there are 10 or 11 youngsters with varying degrees of skill sets and 1 or 2 will be moved sometime in the future, not near, depending on how things shake out

Old
08-07-2014, 08:11 PM
hockeylegend11

Because of the lack of quality o/a players I too would have welcomed back Kuchmey were it not for the bailout episode, can't get past that one, him being here would allow Johnston and maybe Billings to get oodles of JrB work, maybe 1 would ready by trade deadline

Old
08-08-2014, 12:38 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Rayzor

Instead of dealing for Brown, assuming no deal has been agreed upon, would you be in favor of dealing for Saginaw's Jake Paterson being rumoured to be returned by Detroit, as well as o/a dman Max Iafrate from Kitchener, those 2 along with Vail would give Windsor amongst the best o/a group in the loop
Paterson would cost a couple of picks plus Fontinos, while Iafrate would cost Burns plus a pick or 2
That being said, Kitchener may take a run at Paterson and keep Iafrate, while other teams such as Peterborough and Kingston would be interested in both Paterson and Iafrate
What say you?
I would be fine with Paterson, at the end of the day Paterson would have a lot to prove as an OA goalie where ever he might play. I think Fotinos is an average goalie and that isn't a bad thing but I think we have seen plenty of average goaltenders the last 3+ years in Windsor. It's time to aspire for better than average. I think Iafrate would be an upgrade but that depends what happens with Marchese etc. In regards to Sanvido being drafted the Stars selected 9 players, 6 D and 1 G. Pressure is on Sanvido to distinguish himself as a player and their last selection. I doubt you see the Stars sign all 6 D.

Old
08-08-2014, 05:00 AM
hockeylegend11

Rayzor

I agree about Patterson, he definitely would be out to prove something and would be an upgrade, as for Iafrate, agree on him being an upgrade, would have no problem at all him taking an o/ a spot over marchese.
My guess is Spits won't spend picks especially 2nds for o/a's will wait till next year
Not saying they won't make moves at the trade deadline but I think their thinking is beyond this year
I know this may sound ambitious but I feel Windsor gets 2 of Warren,Keller or Fischer to play here next year
And keep your eye on another American kid, Evan Wisocky a center uncommitted Center who is coming to camp this year
He is my dark horse American player who could be ready next year
That would be interesting if he plus say Keller and Warren join next year
Imagine this group upfront, Kirwan -HoSang-Vertiy,Foss-Moore-Digiacinto,Warren-Shea-Keller,Miller-Luchuk-Povo, with Wisocky, Manchurek, maybe Soberg instead of Shea or Poco, a 1st rounder, another euro maybe 2 depending on Soberg and even Yazkov
Yazkov can really put himself in the mix or out of the mix, its up to him
You throw in what I think is a talented but young, d corps that will gain much needed experience this coming season, noise from the Spits will come next year
I expect to see some this year but not nearly as much next
Goaltending more so then forwards or d will be in my view scrutinized, dissected, worked on leading to next year
If Fotinos can only be average, it will be addressed, if he can elevate and maintain his game fine, otherwise the clock is ticking in this area
Should be a fun time during the next 3 years

Old
08-08-2014, 06:15 AM
hockeylegend11

Rayzor

Forgot to address Sanvido, re Dallas
From what I have been told and its not from the Spits, is he is really putting in the work this summer, is much much more stronger almost 230 pounds and seems to recognize what he has to do to get to the next level
We have all been critical of his slower then expected development, my feeling is that the light switch came on once he was drafted and feel we will see a large measurement of improvement over the next 2:years as he tries to garner a pro contract

Old
08-08-2014, 07:32 AM
youngblood10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Rayzor

Forgot to address Sanvido, re Dallas
From what I have been told and its not from the Spits, is he is really putting in the work this summer, is much much more stronger almost 230 pounds and seems to recognize what he has to do to get to the next level
We have all been critical of his slower then expected development, my feeling is that the light switch came on once he was drafted and feel we will see a large measurement of improvement over the next 2:years as he tries to garner a pro contract
Not denying Sanvido has struggled but I've always cut the kid some slack for one the big fellows take time to put it all together more often then not. Second, generally speaking it takes dmen two seasons before they become a reliable commodity on the back end in the league. This is a big season for Sanvido, the training wheels are off. If he has put in the work I think he will be rewarded and have a key role with the Spits this season.

Old
08-08-2014, 03:10 PM
punch1943

Adam Bateman gets Invite

As per Sean Lafortune
Sean Lafortune ‏@SeanLafortune
The Saint John Sea Dogs have invited former Windsor Spitfires defender Adam Bateman to training camp.

Old
08-08-2014, 04:15 PM
Duke Guy

Bateman joins another former OHL 1st round pick in St. John, Mitchell Dempsey.

Old
08-08-2014, 11:47 PM
big papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Guy View Post
Bateman joins another former OHL 1st round pick in St. John, Mitchell Dempsey.
Maybe a fresh start will help both of them out

Old
08-12-2014, 01:38 PM
Zedder
Rookie User

Any thoughts on who will take on leadership roles with the team this season? I assume if Vail returns he'll be Captain, but who fills that role if he doesn't return? Does Ho-Sang get a letter on his jersey this season?

Old
08-12-2014, 02:50 PM
OHLTG

I don't think you'll see Vail with the C, mainly because he didn't even have an A last year. I can't see Ho-Sang with a letter, either, because there's too much negativity in his off-ice game to deal with that.

If I'm guessing...

Povorozniouk will get an A, as he seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

I could see one of Foss, Brown, or Sanvido in the same boat. Give a younger guy a chance to take a leadership role. I'd go as far as saying Sanvido COULD be captain material.

Another A to Murphy? I don't know how he is off the ice, but he's one of the veterans. Same with Milne.

Ideally, I'd like to see a mixture of young and old, just to give a youngster a chance at developing that leadership role that could get him a C down the road.

Old
08-12-2014, 05:02 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I don't think you'll see Vail with the C, mainly because he didn't even have an A last year. I can't see Ho-Sang with a letter, either, because there's too much negativity in his off-ice game to deal with that.

If I'm guessing...

Povorozniouk will get an A, as he seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

I could see one of Foss, Brown, or Sanvido in the same boat. Give a younger guy a chance to take a leadership role. I'd go as far as saying Sanvido COULD be captain material.

Another A to Murphy? I don't know how he is off the ice, but he's one of the veterans. Same with Milne.

Ideally, I'd like to see a mixture of young and old, just to give a youngster a chance at developing that leadership role that could get him a C down the road.
IMHO Things will get sorted out during the exhibition season. I don't see a C on anyone at this point. As for 'A' I could see Provo, Sanvido, Murphy ..somebody who will be on the ice often....

Old
08-12-2014, 07:18 PM
ForestGlade
Paja Tipo Sombrero

vCash: 450
Why is nobody talking about the 40th anniversary celebrations? Four different decade nights! Four possible retro jerseys! THE RETURN OF THE TOMBSTONE! And a jersey retirement during NHL All-Star Weekend! It could be anybody!

Old
08-13-2014, 10:14 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestGlade View Post
Why is nobody talking about the 40th anniversary celebrations? Four different decade nights! Four possible retro jerseys! THE RETURN OF THE TOMBSTONE! And a jersey retirement during NHL All-Star Weekend! It could be anybody!
Given the Spits wait awhile before retiring numbers it won't be anybody from the recent Mem Cup teams - so I'll guess either Jovanovski or Bowler. I'll guess the latter, as it will set up Bill taking over coaching in a years time and he put up ridiculous numbers in his four years here - 467 points in 250 games. Eddie only played two years here, but was first overall pick into the NHL - It could go either way with him eventually IMO.

EDIT! Rereading it being during All-Star weekend makes me believe it more likely to be a current NHLer - so Jovanovski could be the guy.

From the Mem Cup teams - who eventually is in the rafters. Ryan Ellis is an ABSOLUTE Lock,with Hall probably next likely, but I wouldn't put him in the same sureness category as Ellis even. Henri would be a possibility as well I guess, but a long shot given the Spits are very selective with their retired numbers.

Those would probably be my guesses for next four - Bill Bowler this upcoming season, Jovanovski in a year or two than Ellis probably in a decade and then Hall 15 years. Timing of latter two predicated on the length of their NHL careers (ie Ellis will likely be retired sooner while Hall could still be playing awhile longer).

Last edited by Ottomatic: 08-13-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old
08-13-2014, 10:21 AM
RayzorIsDull

I am guessing Jovanovski as well, he's quite close to retirement.

Old
08-13-2014, 10:29 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I am guessing Jovanovski as well, he's quite close to retirement.
Billy Bowler should definitely be in the rafters. But the timing says current NHLer and only Eddie fits that bill. I'm not sure two years service time here is enough truth be told, but first overall pick playing in the NHL as a 18 yr old, with the upcoming season being his 20th(!!), a local kid to boot who went to Riverside Highschool I guess counts for something.

Old
08-13-2014, 10:33 AM
ohlws

Didn't Bowler wear #9? A number now retired for Adam graves? I could be mistaken but if not maybe they would just add his name to the banner in the rafters of something along those lines.

Old
08-13-2014, 10:35 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlws View Post
Didn't Bowler wear #9? A number now retired for Adam graves? I could be mistaken but if not maybe they would just add his name to the banner in the rafters of something along those lines.
Is it already retired - From Bowler's wiki -

On December 10, 2011, Bill saw his number 9 retired for the Windsor Spitfire's. He will be the eighth player in Windsor Spitfire history to have his jersey forever hang from the rafters.

Old
08-13-2014, 10:47 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Billy Bowler should definitely be in the rafters. But the timing says current NHLer and only Eddie fits that bill. I'm not sure two years service time here is enough truth be told, but first overall pick playing in the NHL as a 18 yr old, with the upcoming season being his 20th(!!), a local kid to boot who went to Riverside Highschool I guess counts for something.
I really hope it isn't a player from the Memorial Cup teams. I guess the other possibility is Steve Ott but I would hope they wait some more before doing that.

Old
08-13-2014, 12:19 PM
spitz fan 4ever

Quote:
I really hope it isn't a player from the Memorial Cup teams. I guess the other possibility is Steve Ott but I would hope they wait some more before doing that.
I believe Steve OTT and Eddie jovanovski, wore the same #14.....sound about right??

Old
08-13-2014, 03:49 PM
ohlws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Is it already retired - From Bowler's wiki -

On December 10, 2011, Bill saw his number 9 retired for the Windsor Spitfire's. He will be the eighth player in Windsor Spitfire history to have his jersey forever hang from the rafters.
And from Graves wiki:

Number #9 was also retired for Graves by his junior hockey team, the Windsor Spitfires.

Old
08-13-2014, 04:26 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitz fan 4ever View Post
I believe Steve OTT and Eddie jovanovski, wore the same #14.....sound about right??
Yes it's kind of cool some of the greats have all shared the same number on the other hand it would be nice if all these great players had their own number to start a legacy of some sort.

For example I don't think it's a coincidence nobody has worn #4 for the Spits since Hall played his last game in Windsor and I hope nobody does.

Old
08-13-2014, 05:08 PM
spitz fan 4ever

Quote:
Yes it's kind of cool some of the greats have all shared the same number on the other hand it would be nice if all these great players had their own number to start a legacy of some sort.

For example I don't think it's a coincidence nobody has worn #4 for the Spits since Hall played his last game in Windsor and I hope nobody does.
yeaah. and if we get into it more, a couple of good defenceman that shared #6, in tim gleason and ryan ellis

Old
08-13-2014, 06:47 PM
etr102

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitz fan 4ever View Post
yeaah. and if we get into it more, a couple of good defenceman that shared #6, in tim gleason and ryan ellis
Joel Quenneville also wore #6. He's already in the rafters as a 'honoured' but not 'retired' jersey.

Old
08-13-2014, 07:02 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr102 View Post
Joel Quenneville also wore #6. He's already in the rafters as a 'honoured' but not 'retired' jersey.
I believe Gleason and Ellis have been "honored" as well. I just wish they could retire jerseys of these guys they have numerous numbers to choose from.

Closed Thread