HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Prospect Stats and Discussion - Part 2 - Updated March 25th

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-05-2014, 06:46 PM
  #676
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 15,245
vCash: 500
@coreypronman
Very interested to watch Darnell Nurse tonight. Probably got unfairly dinged after his average U20 performances last year. Big EDM contingent in to watch a few of their players including Nurse, MacTavish in the house.

Ritchie-Reinhart-Duclair
Dickinson-Lazar-Point
Perlini-Bennett-Hawryluk
Paul-Gauthier-Chase

Morrissey-Ekblad
Nurse-McKeown
Morin-Fleury

Jarry and Fucale splitting the net.


Chase & Nurse in action, game time is 5:00PM.

http://stats.hockeycanada.ca/game/sh...ferrer=1253933



An Aside... EOK twitter re-tweeted this: "Edmonton Oil Kings forward @CurtisLazar95 will now wear #26 internationally for Canada in honour of Kristians Pelss. #PlayForPelssy"

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 07:11 PM
  #677
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,762
vCash: 500
Damn, that Lazar kid is all class. Such a great ambassador for the Oil Kings.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 05:03 AM
  #678
McGlassbangers
Registered User
 
McGlassbangers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: McFinland
Country: Finland
Posts: 4,068
vCash: 97
Darnell Nurse is 6'5, 208lbs.

McGlassbangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 11:52 AM
  #679
Zaddy Zads
Klefsson
 
Zaddy Zads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbangers View Post
Darnell Nurse is 6'5, 208lbs.
Where did you find that info?

Zaddy Zads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 03:24 PM
  #680
McGlassbangers
Registered User
 
McGlassbangers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: McFinland
Country: Finland
Posts: 4,068
vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5255 View Post
Where did you find that info?
Neate Sager ‏@neatebuzzthenet Aug 6
Asked @OHLHoundPower's Darnell Nurse now 6-foot-5, 208, if he was on the Michael Phelps diet; "Mom's cooking," he said. #OHL #WJC2015

McGlassbangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2014, 07:46 PM
  #681
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,762
vCash: 500
via @DubFromAbove


Article on the Giants, and more specifically Jackson Houck
Quote:
Of course, playing a quicker and more up-tempo style requires fast players. Fortunately, speed and explosiveness was something that both Houck and Geertsen focused on in the offseason. Geertsen’s time in the gym was spent doing a lot of lower body work. “Mostly just lots of sprinting and squats and cleans for explosive power,” he describes. “I need to be faster, it’s a fast game. I need to be faster at this level and the next level, so speed is something I worked on.”

Houck, on the other hand, completely changed his offseason routine. “I changed my trainer up,” Houck says. “I moved to Ladner and worked out with Ian [Gallagher]. I’ve never had a trainer that pushed me like that. Definitely Ian helped me a lot.”

“I did more lower body lifting this year to really get my lower body power up. And on the ice I did some power-skating. [Ian]’s a tough trainer, they’re long work outs, but it all pays off.”
Ian Gallagher is Brendan's father and also trains Lucic.


Edit: Also, I didn't realize Rajala had such a good season in Sweden last year (13g 17a in 37 games). It'll be interesting to see how he fares next season with Phillip Larsen in Khanty-Mansiysk.


Last edited by 40oz: 09-02-2014 at 09:53 PM.
40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2014, 02:31 AM
  #682
OilBuoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 217
vCash: 500
So the KHL season starts today and both Anton Slepyshev (Salavat Yulaev - http://en.khl.ru/clubs/salavat_yulaev/team/) and Daniil Zharkov (Torpedo: http://en.khl.ru/clubs/torpedo/team/) are absent from their team's rosters. Could they both be coming to Oilers rookie camp or could they both have been cut from their teams and assigned to their minor league affiliates (VHL)?


Last edited by OilBuoy: 09-03-2014 at 02:58 AM.
OilBuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2014, 03:11 AM
  #683
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyMcOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,527
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilBuoy View Post
So the KHL season starts today and both Anton Slepyshev (Salavat Yulaev - http://en.khl.ru/clubs/salavat_yulaev/team/) and Daniil Zharkov (Torpedo: http://en.khl.ru/clubs/torpedo/team/) are absent from their team's rosters. Could they both be coming to Oilers rookie camp or could they both have been cut from their teams and assigned to their minor league affiliates (VHL)?
That's interesting. Perhaps injuries? Even then, they might be listed.

Maybe they are coming to rookie camp.

AlowlyMcOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2014, 06:30 AM
  #684
OiledUp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilBuoy View Post
So the KHL season starts today and both Anton Slepyshev (Salavat Yulaev - http://en.khl.ru/clubs/salavat_yulaev/team/) and Daniil Zharkov (Torpedo: http://en.khl.ru/clubs/torpedo/team/) are absent from their team's rosters. Could they both be coming to Oilers rookie camp or could they both have been cut from their teams and assigned to their minor league affiliates (VHL)?
They're both right there on the links you listed. Or am I missing something?

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2014, 06:55 AM
  #685
OilBuoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
They're both right there on the links you listed. Or am I missing something?
Looks like the rosters were updated since last night. So much for that theory. I was also told last night after I made my post that there was no way either player would be in Penticton next week. Hopefully these two guys have much better seasons than last year in the KHL.

OilBuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2014, 01:00 PM
  #686
saska sault
Registered User
 
saska sault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Country: Canada
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Soo Greyhounds fan here, what is the general thought on how long Nurse will be staying with the Oilers? Most Hounds fan figure he will be back at some point due to the free agent signings and other prospects with a little more grooming ahead of him... Does he come back after exhibition, after a few games, or do many in Edmonton think he has a good shot of making the big club? Thanks.

saska sault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2014, 01:08 PM
  #687
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 45,074
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by saska sault View Post
Soo Greyhounds fan here, what is the general thought on how long Nurse will be staying with the Oilers? Most Hounds fan figure he will be back at some point due to the free agent signings and other prospects with a little more grooming ahead of him... Does he come back after exhibition, after a few games, or do many in Edmonton think he has a good shot of making the big club? Thanks.
Depends on what he does in camp, but I suspect he'll see atleast the 8 game tryout.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2014, 05:07 PM
  #688
Zaddy Zads
Klefsson
 
Zaddy Zads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,076
vCash: 500
In other news: Erik Gustafsson (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15372), the swedish D-man we didn't sign, had two goals and two assists in Frölundas 7-3 victory over swiss side Geneve-Servette. 3 of the points came on the PP. He's now up six points in three games in Champions Hockey League.

Sure, it's very early, but he looks to have a big season. Still can't get my head around why we didn't sign him. It's not like we're overflowing with skilled offensive D-men who can QB the PP. Besides, with him playing in Sweden, he wouldn't be subject to an eventual logjam on D in OKC, so I really don't see the problem. Oh well.

Zaddy Zads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2014, 12:21 PM
  #689
McRobbiezyg
Registered User
 
McRobbiezyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5255 View Post
In other news: Erik Gustafsson (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15372), the swedish D-man we didn't sign, had two goals and two assists in Frölundas 7-3 victory over swiss side Geneve-Servette. 3 of the points came on the PP. He's now up six points in three games in Champions Hockey League.

Sure, it's very early, but he looks to have a big season. Still can't get my head around why we didn't sign him. It's not like we're overflowing with skilled offensive D-men who can QB the PP. Besides, with him playing in Sweden, he wouldn't be subject to an eventual logjam on D in OKC, so I really don't see the problem. Oh well.
i'd bet the glut of left handed defenseman had a lot to do with it

McRobbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2014, 01:01 PM
  #690
Zaddy Zads
Klefsson
 
Zaddy Zads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiezyg View Post
i'd bet the glut of left handed defenseman had a lot to do with it
And yet we drafted another one in William Lagesson when plenty of other options was available. Sure, the timeline is not exactly the same for these two players (especially since Lagesson seemingly is heading to college) but still. If they were so worried about adding yet another LHD it would've made sense to draft a rightie, which they didn't.

Zaddy Zads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2014, 01:17 PM
  #691
McRobbiezyg
Registered User
 
McRobbiezyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5255 View Post
And yet we drafted another one in William Lagesson when plenty of other options was available. Sure, the timeline is not exactly the same for these two players (especially since Lagesson seemingly is heading to college) but still. If they were so worried about adding yet another LHD it would've made sense to draft a rightie, which they didn't.
this is true Gustafsson would've taken up a contract spot now, lagesson doesn't for another 5 years. in 5 years we could have a glut of rhd's. i'd like to point out that no team signed him or re-drafted him either

McRobbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2014, 10:04 AM
  #692
Lacaar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saska sault View Post
Soo Greyhounds fan here, what is the general thought on how long Nurse will be staying with the Oilers? Most Hounds fan figure he will be back at some point due to the free agent signings and other prospects with a little more grooming ahead of him... Does he come back after exhibition, after a few games, or do many in Edmonton think he has a good shot of making the big club? Thanks.
He'll have to have a strong training camp to get 9 games. Will have to beat out Klefbom or Marincin (Keith Aulie too but don't think that will be hard). He's going to have to demonstrate ability in both ends of the rink. Not just defence and not just offence. Toughness, grit, skating I don't think he has anything to prove there. Just show he can think the game well enough to contribute in pre season.

Once he gets his 9 games he'll have an even tougher battle ahead. I think he'd have to make an impact, perhaps even a significant impact on the games to stay. Not just tread water and make a play here or there but show consistency shift to shift.

You probably have a better idea if he can do that then me obviously.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2014, 04:43 PM
  #693
OilBuoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 217
vCash: 500
Some stats from today's games for Oilers prospects and RFAs in the KHL

Daniil Zharkov vs Ugra
6:12 TOI, 2 SOG, 4 Hits, 4 PIM for Roughing + Tripping. Looks like a high event game despite low TOI

Anton Slepyshev vs Vityaz
8:29 TOI, 1 SOG, 1 A.
Icetime still down but picks up a primary assist on an even strength goal by Iikka Hekkinen

Philip Larsen vs Torpedo
26:17 TOI, 1 SOG, 2 PIM for high-sticking.
Icetime leader amongst all players in this game

Roman Horak vs Salavat Yulaev
14:22 TOI, 2 SOG, 0 PTS/Hits/Blocked Shots

OilBuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2014, 04:56 PM
  #694
Aceboogie
Registered User
 
Aceboogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 21,938
vCash: 500
Slepyshev needs to come to the AHL asap and get prime icetime.

Its sort of a blessing in disguise hes getting shafted for ice time. His development is hurt by the lack of ice time, and might indicate hes not progressing as hoped, however it might motivate him to come to the AHL to get a shot at the NHL. If he was getting prime KHL time and prime money, I doubt hed make the transfer

Aceboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2014, 07:10 PM
  #695
nexttothemoon
darkness.myoldfriend
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,124
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Slepyshev needs to come to the AHL asap and get prime icetime.

Its sort of a blessing in disguise hes getting shafted for ice time. His development is hurt by the lack of ice time, and might indicate hes not progressing as hoped, however it might motivate him to come to the AHL to get a shot at the NHL. If he was getting prime KHL time and prime money, I doubt hed make the transfer
I agree... Zharkov especially is basically rotting away in the KHL. 6 minutes per game is "goon time" in the NHL. He won't develop well with that ice time unless he is just going to turn into a psuedo-goon.

Zkarkov is going on 21 as well... so it's not as if he's a green 18 year old getting that type of ice time.

Slepyshev I think will likely come over if I had to guess. He has the talent and most talented players want to play at the highest level... just my speculation but I bet he makes the trip over as soon as the KHL playoffs for his team conclude.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2014, 07:20 PM
  #696
Aceboogie
Registered User
 
Aceboogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 21,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I agree... Zharkov especially is basically rotting away in the KHL. 6 minutes per game is "goon time" in the NHL. He won't develop well with that ice time unless he is just going to turn into a psuedo-goon.

Zkarkov is going on 21 as well... so it's not as if he's a green 18 year old getting that type of ice time.

Slepyshev I think will likely come over if I had to guess. He has the talent and most talented players want to play at the highest level... just my speculation but I bet he makes the trip over as soon as the KHL playoffs for his team conclude.
I don't really have any faith in Zharkov as a prospect. Perhaps he can cut it as a depth AHL guy, but if he stays in the KHL its no loss to me. Like you said, he is older and really hasn't shown much.

Slepyshev on the other hand has always been a more highly regarded prospect. He was ranked 17th by Pronman in 2012 and was impressive at the WJC. I think he has decent potential. Plus with Yakimov coming over, hopefully it gets him to come over too.

Aceboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2014, 03:28 AM
  #697
OiledUp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,392
vCash: 500
Yeah, the Slepyshev situation is far from ideal. The thing is every time I watched Ufa last season Slepyshev looked better than Hartikainen but Harti got all the opportunity. Have to think it has something to do with the coach prefering veteran players or guys with a track record. Or they know he's leaving at the end of the year, maybe there's merit to the rumour that he was trying to break his contract to come over to NA, and he's being punished. But in that case why keep him on the roster and not send him down?
With Zharkov it seems to be mainly lack of skill.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2014, 03:14 AM
  #698
nexttothemoon
darkness.myoldfriend
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,124
vCash: 50
From what I've seen of Zharkov (admittedly not a lot)... the guy seems to have decent hands and he certainly has the size.. that's two huge factors that lead to success... decent puck skills and size.

Whats missing is likely hockey iq and the ability to put it all together. Again I haven't seen enough of him to make any completely accurate assessments but the Hartikainen comparision may be fitting... there's another guy who looks like he has the body and drive to be an NHL player but just doesn't have what it takes at that level.

The lesser leagues are littered with players who have 2/3/4 valuable assets to their game.. size, skill, speed etc.. but sometimes what's missing is the iq and ability to put it all together and reach their full potential... a player who ends up being less than the sum of their parts so to speak.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2014, 11:49 AM
  #699
McGlassbangers
Registered User
 
McGlassbangers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: McFinland
Country: Finland
Posts: 4,068
vCash: 97
Oilers prospects on the nhl.com top-60 prospect ranks:

Kimelman:
16. Leon Draisaitl
22. Darnell Nurse

Morreale:
15. Leon Draisaitl
20. Darnell Nurse

Masisak:
8. Darnell Nurse
13. Leon Draisaitl

Scout A:
5. Leon Draisaitl
12. Darnell Nurse
57. Laurent Brossoit

Scout B:
12. Leon Draisaitl
25. Darnell Nurse

Scout C:
6. Leon Draisaitl

Overall:
9. Leon Draisaitl
18. Darnell Nurse

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7...d=nhl:topheads

McGlassbangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2014, 01:22 PM
  #700
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,283
vCash: 500
Are Klefbom and Marincin graduated?

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.