HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Does the Caps firesale start now?

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2004, 02:15 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps
I agree, and don't forget two things

1) we've already been ranked #2 in prospect depth with Semin, Ouellet, Eminger, Fehr, Gordon, Sutherby, Johansson, Stana, Yonkman, and now Laich.

2)We're in the running for Ovechkin, Malkin, Barker, and Olesz. If we trade Kolzig, Lang, and Gonchar to contenders for 2-3 blue chip prospects before the deadline, you'll see a decline in wins, and it may just put us over the top in the Ovechkin lottery.

Our prospects will be uncontested, and playing for a coach like Hanlon, who excells at cultivating young talent.
1. the penguins only chance to win a hockey game the rest of the year are its remaining games with the capitals.

2. the capitals have 10 or more roster holes as of today. if they trade lang, gonchar and kolzig, they will have zero elite players and 3 or 4 nhl level players.
thats scary

Old
02-18-2004, 02:18 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
1. the penguins only chance to win a hockey game the rest of the year are its remaining games with the capitals.

2. the capitals have 10 or more roster holes as of today. if they trade lang, gonchar and kolzig, they will have zero elite players and 3 or 4 nhl level players.
thats scary
we don't need last place; in fact, it's been bad lottery luck the last several years.

Old
02-18-2004, 02:19 PM
punchy1

I had totally forgotten your org depth in prospects. Add in Ove (a tough deal as the Pens are in the running now and appear to be just awful enough to lock it up) and or
Malkin,Olesz etc and you lot could be one heck of a team in two years. Say a deal that brings you a teams first for the next two years for any one of the top players you have to move plus a solid young player were to come your way. You have three players in Kolzig,Lang and Gonchar that are all highly sought after right now. I would feel fair market value for any one of them would be a first rounder and a grand young player in return, maybe more for Kolzig as talented goalies like him are hard to find. Very deep for you lot.

Would the Leafs deal Cokacola and a 2nd and a 5th for Gonchar? I bet they would. I am truly awful at suggesting deals (if that bit of brilliance isn't evidence enough) but you get the idea. You land one NHL lock (maybe not a top 2 but lock still) young (rookie or prospect) defencemen and a 1st round pick coupled with a later round or second tier prospect for Gonchar and you have greatly improved. You add the same for Lang and it becomes silly. Now, knowing that everyone with any shot at the cup would LOVE to have Witt and you know you will get more for him than he is worth (a first and third plus?).

You add in all of the talent and picks you could land for Kolzig,Lang,Gonchar and Witt to go along with what you have recieved in the Gonchar deal (I feel you got less than value but as said, I am not good at this) to go along with your amazing depth and you might just be THE team to beat in two years.

It is hard as a fan of any team to say "two years from now" when we all want to win today but, as a Kings fan, we have had to do that over the past two years and are finally in step to see the fruition of that way of building a team.

We have Frolov,Cammelleri,Barney,Brown and Gleason all doing very well in thier time with the Kings (some have gone up and down but none of them look like a bust at this point and if anything, look grand) and have Pushkaryov,Kanko,Hogeboom,Rome,Grebeshkov and so many more waiting on the farm. Many of whom will be ready next year. The only reason we are winning at all is due to our vast depth of solid young players and mix of grand vets.

The fact is that we can go out and sign Vets every off season to add to our core of talented kids and that is what we have started to do. You lot, with your gross amount of young talent on the farm, by adding to it with moving these players, could become a dynasty easily. You truly do have the makings. In three years the players you get for these lads will start making an impact on your team. Your great young players already on your roster will be your core vets. When I look at your team on paper, you look right scary a couple years down the road.

Old
02-18-2004, 02:24 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
I probably wouldn't give fair value considering Carter's qualifying offer would have to be $2.8 mil, and Burke would probably let him walk as a UFA then pony up that cash. What about a 2nd rounder straight up? Or maybe Jason King and a 3rd? Do the Caps have any depth d-men or solid defensive centers they could add to a deal?
King and a 3rd for Carter? SOLD, don't forget to get your parking validated.

Do we have any depth defensemen? That's pretty much all we have besides Witt and Gonchar. Doig, Kwiatkowski, Rohloff, take your pick.

Solid defensive center? How about a shiny, slightly used, Jeff Halpern with fairly low mileage? Or a Trent Whitfield? Halpern has been playing great over the last 2 months so he might cost a little bit but he's worth it, trust me.

Oh, Mike Grier would look good in a 'Nucks jersey, wouldn't he?

Old
02-18-2004, 02:27 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
When I look at your team on paper, you look right scary a couple years down the road.
Well, that is the hope, at least. Time will tell. I am hoping they can turn Gonchar into Colaiacovo plus, and draft Barker. A core of Barker, Eminger and Colaiacovo would be very nice to watch maturing together for the club. Add Yonkman, who should shake off his injuries someday, and maybe Cutta if he can get his act together, and the Caps may have a defense worth having, down the line. They are stacked in goal with prospects.

The forwards are riddled with big, two-way WHL players, and you can't go wrong with that mix. The whole prospect pool has a distinctive WHL feel, actually. Anything can happen, and it's grim right now, but there does seem to be a method to McPhee's madness. Does it erase the current pain, no; but it helps.

Old
02-18-2004, 02:30 PM
EroCaps

I'm not sure we'll be a team to beat in two years, but three or four?..

Old
02-18-2004, 02:33 PM
dats-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus
Hudler and Kronwall for Lang? Yeah, I could see that.
Hudler and Kronwall for Lang isn't going to happen there's no way....

IMO Bondra is a better player than Lang and he got a great prospect and a pick and you want two great prospects for Lang???

Not going to happen....

Old
02-18-2004, 02:35 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats-13
Hudler and Kronwall for Lang isn't going to happen there's no way....

IMO Bondra is a better player than Lang and he got a great prospect and a pick and you want two great prospects for Lang???

Not going to happen....
Lang is twice the player Bondra is at this point.

Old
02-18-2004, 02:39 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I would hardly say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM
well, not that i like to do this, but, "txpd" seems like a pretty intelligent person from what i've read. s/he said:

"The Capitals will not trade robert lang unless they get quality young players that they can successfully plug into their top 6 forwards and top 4 defensemen.
Some combination of Zetterberg, Hudler, Kronwall or Fischer."
You could call those players stars....maybe in the future...but they are NOT stars now.

Old
02-18-2004, 02:58 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Lol

Quote:
any depth at defenseman?? ha...god, i hurt myself laughing at that.
you want jason doig?

BBWaahahahaahha....yeah...we've got tons of them just laying around. So many in fact...that we can't seem to get the regular NHL dmen in the lineup.

Old
02-18-2004, 04:34 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
any depth at defenseman?? ha...god, i hurt myself laughing at that.
you want jason doig?
I said depth defenseman, ie: guys who are 5th/6th d-men on most teams. I'd pass on Jason Doig though. Washington probably isn't a good fit to get d-men from though, unless Witt was available...

Old
02-18-2004, 04:40 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus
King and a 3rd for Carter? SOLD, don't forget to get your parking validated.
Don't know if I'd trade King and a 3rd straight up, kind of hoping Washington had a depth d-man to throw in...

Quote:
Do we have any depth defensemen? That's pretty much all we have besides Witt and Gonchar. Doig, Kwiatkowski, Rohloff, take your pick.
Hmm, other then Witt, I don't see a fit. I think the Canucks are looking more for a guy who can play 15-20 min/game if needed in the post-season.

Quote:
Solid defensive center? How about a shiny, slightly used, Jeff Halpern with fairly low mileage? Or a Trent Whitfield? Halpern has been playing great over the last 2 months so he might cost a little bit but he's worth it, trust me.
Halpern? I'd love to have him. A 3rd line of Cooke-Halpern-Linden would be gold in the post-season. Not sure what his value is though, probably have to overpay to get him. Adding Carter and Halpern would be a solid move by the Canucks, salary may be a bit of a problem though. What about something like this:

To Canucks

Anson Carter
Jeff Halpern

To Caps

Jason King
R.J. Umberger(2nd round pick in '04 if not re-signed by June 1st)
3rd round pick

Again, I'm not sure what Halpern's value is to the Caps.

Quote:
Grier would look good in a Nucks jersey
He would, but if the Canucks get another 3rd liner, I would think they would get a center to allow Linden to move over to RW where he is most comfortable. Getting Halpern would allow that.

Last edited by Peter Griffin: 02-18-2004 at 04:47 PM.
Old
02-18-2004, 04:41 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
I said depth defenseman, ie: guys who are 5th/6th d-men on most teams. I'd pass on Jason Doig though. Washington probably isn't a good fit to get d-men from though, unless Witt was available...
i know what you said..and i am still laughing. the caps have gonchar and witt and then they are all doig class or less. the caps have no 5th/6th on most teams defensemen...not one.

Old
02-18-2004, 04:46 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
i know what you said..and i am still laughing. the caps have gonchar and witt and then they are all doig class or less. the caps have no 5th/6th on most teams defensemen...not one.
Well, you said "depth at defense". The Canucks have depth at defense, Detroit has depth at defense, but no depth defensemen? That is pretty sad... :p

Old
02-18-2004, 06:50 PM
KM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon
You could call those players stars....maybe in the future...but they are NOT stars now.
ah, sorry for not being clear. i guess i meant < insert player of value here > and not someone like dandenault, who, according to your radio play-by-play guy (or maybe CC) is who they want.

Last edited by KM: 02-18-2004 at 08:13 PM.
Old
02-18-2004, 06:54 PM
AEKaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps
Lang>Bondra

Lang is not even close to what Bondra is.
Take it from people that have watched them both play.
Lang is a fluk player. He doesn't have great talent. He's alright.
I was happy he left Pittsburgh, even for nothing. Obviously I would of loved a return, but he's way way way overated.

Old
02-18-2004, 07:54 PM
bigeasy

witt and lang

how can you be fighting for the scoring lead and be overrated? and i think the caps will hold on to witt as one of the building blocks.

Old
02-19-2004, 01:02 AM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeasy
how can you be fighting for the scoring lead and be overrated? and i think the caps will hold on to witt as one of the building blocks.
The guy obviously has a grudge against Lang, hes going around to all the teams boards where Lang trade rumors are posted and smearing the guy.

Old
02-19-2004, 01:44 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. kØUkLØs
Lang is not even close to what Bondra is.
Take it from people that have watched them both play.
Lang is a fluk player. He doesn't have great talent. He's alright.
I was happy he left Pittsburgh, even for nothing. Obviously I would of loved a return, but he's way way way overated.
You dont lead the league in scoring while being a fluke.

[QUOTE]To Canucks

Anson Carter
Jeff Halpern

To Caps

Jason King
R.J. Umberger(2nd round pick in '04 if not re-signed by June 1st)
3rd round pick
[QUOTE]

^I love it! Two more RHS which the club desperatly needs. Maybe some Cap fans can fill us in on Halpern's salary?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm taking a proposal to the Caps board

Old
02-19-2004, 02:05 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon
Show me where any "Credible" Caps fans expected a star back for Lang.
That's like asking someone to show you a nice, friendly, outgoing, tree-hugging serial killer.

People who say dumb things can't be credible. But that doesn't change the fact that some people say dumb things :p

Old
02-19-2004, 02:06 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeasy
how can you be fighting for the scoring lead and be overrated?
You answered your own question.

Closed Thread