HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off season training players & prospects!!!

Old
08-10-2014, 12:37 PM
beaterson

vCash: 500
I hope RNH is juicing, not like they test for it anyway

beaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 12:47 PM
spOiler

Leon could be the perfect center for yak he plays dry similar to galchenyuk but probably has a better pass with a slightly worse shot. Could work out well.

spOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 01:06 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
I never once praised that he did a good job last year, but nice attempt at putting words in my mouth....it's a failure on your part with the reading comprehension though. I'll make it easier for you - to imply that you would know how to do the job better is asinine on an EPIC level. Read it slowly if it helps.
I'll make it easier for you to comprehend as well... there are plenty of excellent NHL head coaches that have been hired before and since Eakins was gifted his 4 years here in Edmonton.

Poor coach... under performing team... correlation... I think so.

You may need bifocals as well... never said I wanted to coach... I said I'd fire his ass if it was me in charge after his and the team's performance last season... so I want to be GM.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Neatman

Quote:
I never once praised that he did a good job last year, but nice attempt at putting words in my mouth....it's a failure on your part with the reading comprehension though. I'll make it easier for you - to imply that you would know how to do the job better is asinine on an EPIC level. Read it slowly if it helps.
Im sorry but that's horrible logic. And the arrogance of your response reflects the arrogance of our clueless coach.

You dont necessarily need to be an expert to judge whether someone is doing a good job. Especially not in a field with such simple objective (wins) and subjective (player performance) outcomes.

Are you telling me NHL coaches are the only ones who could tell that Dallas Eakins doesnt have a clue? You dont need to be an 'expert' on dumpster fires to know one when you see it.

It's fine that you want to defend Eakins, but you have nothing but faith to go on. Lets hope he can turn himself around.

Neatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Neatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spOiler View Post
Leon could be the perfect center for yak he plays dry similar to galchenyuk but probably has a better pass with a slightly worse shot. Could work out well.
The key is whether they can cycle together and whether Yakupov can learn how to sneak into open spots for one-timers. Those are the two things holding him back from being a 40-50g scorer imo.

Old
08-10-2014, 01:41 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
I'm confused. Draisatl is now buds with Yakupov? Or is it Yakimov? Too many "Yaks"involved.
Drai and Yak1 (yakupov). Although all 3 do hang out

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I'll make it easier for you to comprehend as well... there are plenty of excellent NHL head coaches that have been hired before and since Eakins was gifted his 4 years here in Edmonton.

Poor coach... under performing team... correlation... I think so.

You may need bifocals as well... never said I wanted to coach... I said I'd fire his ass if it was me in charge after his and the team's performance last season... so I want to be GM.
Fair enough, so I guess just take my original statement you misread and apply the armchair GM aspect of it. It's still asinine to an EPIC level that you think you can do a better job.

Thanks for the clarification though.

On a side note...this team was under performing long before Eakins was hired, so to pinpoint just him as the reason is disingenuous.

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 02:14 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticOrange View Post
Saw a tweet today saying Nurse is up to 6'5, 208.

He is going to be an absolute force. I hope he makes the Oilers make some very tough decisions.
yeah nurse could end up playing at around 220-225... with his frame and skating ability, he could be a physical force, that's for sure

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 02:19 PM
jadeddog

as far as RNH feeling a little slower after putting on 10-15 pounds, that totally makes sense.... "new weight" will almost always slow you down at first, even if its muscle weight... it takes some time to turn that new weight into explosiveness, and sometimes it never actually happens, sometimes you have to drop some weight to gain that speed back

people are ENTIRELY too caught up in weight anyhow when talking about the improvements young players need to make.... its *strength* that matters, increased weight is just often a bi-product of increased strength... people focus on weight because its something thats much more easily measurable and appears on websites.... if hockeydb.com posted VO2 max, or squat numbers, or any other strength statistic that matters to hockey players, we wouldn't focus on weight so much.... but they don't, so we do

back to RNH.... if he really is taking the strength program seriously, which by all accounts he is, then his strength will be improving.... that is all that counts

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatman View Post
Im sorry but that's horrible logic. And the arrogance of your response reflects the arrogance of our clueless coach.

You dont necessarily need to be an expert to judge whether someone is doing a good job. Especially not in a field with such simple objective (wins) and subjective (player performance) outcomes.

Are you telling me NHL coaches are the only ones who could tell that Dallas Eakins doesnt have a clue? You dont need to be an 'expert' on dumpster fires to know one when you see it.

It's fine that you want to defend Eakins, but you have nothing but faith to go on. Lets hope he can turn himself around.
So you're comparing observing a dumpster fire to grading how a professional coach is doing in the NHL?? I didn't know the job was as simple as just wins and losses to quantify. LOL Thanks for proving my original point. That must be a comfortable armchair you got there!

Well done sir, I especially like how you introduced "logic" in your statement.

Old
08-10-2014, 02:30 PM
shogun99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
as far as RNH feeling a little slower after putting on 10-15 pounds, that totally makes sense.... "new weight" will almost always slow you down at first, even if its muscle weight... it takes some time to turn that new weight into explosiveness, and sometimes it never actually happens, sometimes you have to drop some weight to gain that speed back

people are ENTIRELY too caught up in weight anyhow when talking about the improvements young players need to make.... its *strength* that matters, increased weight is just often a bi-product of increased strength... people focus on weight because its something thats much more easily measurable and appears on websites.... if hockeydb.com posted VO2 max, or squat numbers, or any other strength statistic that matters to hockey players, we wouldn't focus on weight so much.... but they don't, so we do

back to RNH.... if he really is taking the strength program seriously, which by all accounts he is, then his strength will be improving.... that is all that counts
I've spent a years wrestling and the strongest guys I've wrestled against were taller guys in the 180-195 range. They had a good mix of speed, strength and cardio. The heavier guys had better strength but couldn't keep it at that level for to long.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Neatman

Quote:
So you're comparing observing a dumpster fire to grading how a professional coach is doing in the NHL?? I didn't know the job was as simple as just wins and losses to quantify. LOL Thanks for proving my original point. That must be a comfortable armchair you got there!

Well done sir, I especially like how you introduced "logic" in your statement.
It's a touch ironic that you berated a previous poster for poor reading comprehension, then suggested that I only mentioned wins as a metric for success. Did you miss when I wrote right next to it that subjective measures such as player performance exist too? Are you suggesting that it takes an NHL coach to see that Eakins may be the issue when the Oilers 3rd last with almost every player regressing

Id continue discussing this with you, but it would be a waste of my time. You're comfortable telling everyone they have no place to judge Eakin's coaching unless they're a professional coach. So what are you doing here? Shouldnt you be on a forum discussing coaching with other NHL coaches?

Im really at a loss to why someone can act so arrogantly while providing no evidence supporting their points. Goodluck with fighting the good fight .

Old
08-10-2014, 03:08 PM
OiledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaterson View Post
I hope RNH is juicing, not like they test for it anyway
I hope not. See Timmonen, Kimmo.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 04:26 PM
Bergeron47

Booya's logic is flawed to an EPIC level

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 06:49 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
It's a touch ironic that you berated a previous poster for poor reading comprehension, then suggested that I only mentioned wins as a metric for success. Did you miss when I wrote right next to it that subjective measures such as player performance exist too? Are you suggesting that it takes an NHL coach to see that Eakins may be the issue when the Oilers 3rd last with almost every player regressing

Id continue discussing this with you, but it would be a waste of my time. You're comfortable telling everyone they have no place to judge Eakin's coaching unless they're a professional coach. So what are you doing here? Shouldnt you be on a forum discussing coaching with other NHL coaches?

Im really at a loss to why someone can act so arrogantly while providing no evidence supporting their points. Goodluck with fighting the good fight .
I'll admit to missing that player performance part. Noted. However my original statement was regarding armchair GMs and armchair coaches inferring that they could do a better job...which is BS...anyway you want to slice it. Does that make me arrogant or a realist? BTW I like how you keep calling me the "nom de jour" for Eakins (arrogant) like its part of some class system used to describe posters that don't conform to anti-Eakins mob mentality. It's a classy touch...

Old
08-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Boy, let's all pile on Booya for thinking, apparently incorrectly, that Eakins just might be a better coach than all of you.

He's obviously way off track. Everyone knows that the coaches and Managers on this board are 10X better than the people actually hired to do the job.

It's apparently very obvious that the job is really simple.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 08:16 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Boy, let's all pile on Booya for thinking, apparently incorrectly, that Eakins just might be a better coach than all of you.

He's obviously way off track. Everyone knows that the coaches and Managers on this board are 10X better than the people actually hired to do the job.

Today I learned that HF Oilers can be a better coach than Eakins.

Everyone should get their resume ready. Maybe they might take into account post count and years active.

Tad Mikowsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 08:23 PM
McArthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post

Everyone should get their resume ready. Maybe they might take into account post count and years active.
lol... SEE: Line Combinations thread

McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 08:58 PM
Neatman

Quote:

Quote:

Are you guys having trouble telling the difference between posters saying they could do a better job than Eakins and posters saying Eakins is doing a bad job?

I havent seen anyone claiming that they could do a better job coaching the Oilers. Meanwhile, in almost a year of arguing I have yet to see someone form a convincing argument that Eakins is a capable NHL coach.

How about some of that instead of your non-stop strawman arguments. No one here is claiming to be a coach.

Old
08-10-2014, 10:00 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Are you guys having trouble telling the difference between posters saying they could do a better job than Eakins and posters saying Eakins is doing a bad job?

I havent seen anyone claiming that they could do a better job coaching the Oilers. Meanwhile, in almost a year of arguing I have yet to see someone form a convincing argument that Eakins is a capable NHL coach.

How about some of that instead of your non-stop strawman arguments. No one here is claiming to be a coach.
He isn't capable.....yet. But after this year, even to Nov or Dec, we'll know if he ironed out his rookie coach issues.

I'm sure his boss gave him a few little tidbits of pertinent info after the season was over.

But to me, some posters have come across as knowing more than Eakins about coaching. Put it down to my perspective of things. Can't say if it's right or wrong, but it is what it is, which it is.......you foshiz?

Old
08-11-2014, 12:53 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

This is all supposed to be fun discussion (which hopefully we don't all take too seriously)... but honestly we can all give our appraisals and opinions on players/coaches/Gm's.

We've all watched a ****load of hockey in our lives (for me personally 35+ years of viewing) and while we're not yet worthy of being Sutton-level experts... I think we can still make judgements on quality of players/coaches and how well teams are run.

Do we get it wrong sometimes... yes... are we completely and totally full of **** collectively... nope.

Experts and professional obviously get things wrong as well... or else busts wouldn't be drafted, teams wouldn't be **** the bed bad and players wouldn't underperform far below expectations.

I don't think any of us claim to be elite level coaches or GM's... and yes it IS more complicated than it looks with many complexities behind the scenes than we are aware of... but that doesn't mean we can't collectively evaluate and assess performances and even get some of those evaluations right sometimes even though we aren't experts and elite level hockey minds.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 01:13 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
This is all supposed to be fun discussion (which hopefully we don't all take too seriously)... but honestly we can all give our appraisals and opinions on players/coaches/Gm's.

We've all watched a ****load of hockey in our lives (for me personally 35+ years of viewing) and while we're not yet worthy of being Sutton-level experts... I think we can still make judgements on quality of players/coaches and how well teams are run.

Do we get it wrong sometimes... yes... are we completely and totally full of **** collectively... nope.

Experts and professional obviously get things wrong as well... or else busts wouldn't be drafted, teams wouldn't be **** the bed bad and players wouldn't underperform far below expectations.

I don't think any of us claim to be elite level coaches or GM's... and yes it IS more complicated than it looks with many complexities behind the scenes than we are aware of... but that doesn't mean we can't collectively evaluate and assess performances and even get some of those evaluations right sometimes even though we aren't experts and elite level hockey minds.
That all fine. That's what these boards are about.

But piling on to one particular poster while he gives his appraisal and opinion does nothing but create a fetid pool of mud that is hard to track through. Evaluate and assess all you want, just don't pile on to someone whose evaluation and assessment doesn't conform to yours, that's all.

And it works both ways.

BTW Nexttothemoon, I'm not singling you out especially, I just wanted to respond to this post's idea is all.

Old
08-11-2014, 01:22 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spOiler View Post
Stauffer has said quite a few times that nuge put on close to 15 lbs during the season under Eakins and that it slowed him down. So no surprise he's working on his legs and skating
I don't buy it honestly. He would look noticeably bigger at 15 pounds heavier, he still looked the same in post game interviews with his gear off.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Beerfish

Quote:

Okay lets play that game. It's very apparent that Eakins is a magnificent coach and is Scotty bowmanesque because MacT loved the guy and hired him with a fat 4 year deal. It's blatantly obvious that he is so good, it's pretty well that simple.

Take a statement, totally miss the point, post a totally foolish and outlandish post to back up your arguement, did I just do that right?

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 01:27 PM
Beerfish

Quote:

Yeah they might drop from 3rd last in the league being 40 points out of the playoffs to being 2nd last in the league being 45 points out of the playoffs.

From the posts i've seen people are saying he's a bad coach and did a poor job, simple as that. Evidence from last year really suggest they are correct.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote