HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eugenie Bouchard vs. Li Na | 7:30 PM MST

Old
07-05-2014, 08:37 AM
awesomo
HARD!

vCash: 500
woke up to watch canadian history this morning! go genie

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 09:07 AM
MrM

vCash: 894
excited about this too!

MrM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 09:26 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by goggog View Post
Where in that quote is she referring to Canada? Internationally, Wimbledon >>>>>> Stanley Cup
Yeah your right. I must have been thinking of it from Canada's POV. Add that and the fact I was very tired when writing that.

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 11:18 AM
rosemount289

The other girl................???

The other girl played unreal today.............her volley returns were perfect.

Eugenie did not play badly today............just that her opponent played great.

Take the experience and be better next time.

rosemount289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 11:47 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Wow...got to give credit where credit is due.

Absolute domination by Kvitova. Nerves had nothing to do with this for Genie.
Kvitova is a vastly superior player at this point.

The good news....Genie has a lot of race track ahead of her.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 11:58 AM
schutney

This will be a situation for Genie like the 1983 Oilers with the sweep by the Islanders. The team came back the next year and started the dynasty with the 5 cups in 7 years.

Genie will be back and better than ever. Well done Genie!

schutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 12:52 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 3739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
I love how Eugenie comment about the Stanley Cup:

Reporter: "Is the Wimbledon your Stanley Cup?"

Eugenie: "Wimbledon is much bigger than the Stanley Cup, so you can't compare the two"

Suuuuure Eugenie, like anyone cared about Women Tennis before you showed up in it. Not that I am against her or any dislike in any way, but that comment bothered me. It's like Golf and the NBA in Canada. No one in Canada cared about golf until Mike Wier came into the picture and won the Masters, and Steve Nash started winning MVP's in the NBA.
STOP THE PRESSES!!!

Did a professional tennis player really say that the Wimbledon was more important to her than a Stanley Cup. We might have a national crisis on our hands.

Edit: I just saw your retraction above. My apologies.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 01:03 PM
rboomercat90

I was a little disappointed with Saviano's pre match comments when he was asked how he prepared Bouchard for Kvitova and he responded by saying they didn't worry about what her opponent could do and only focused on what Eugenie does. If that was the case it was a big mistake. Kvitova being the most powerful player she had faced in a while and also a lefty. Bouchard continued to play inside the baseline even when kvitova's shots were getting back to her faster than she could handle them. She wasn't prepared at all to handle them.

Kvitova was awesome today and full credit for her win. Congratulations to Bouchard for another tremendous tournament. Can't wait for the Rogers Tournament and the US Open next month.

Old
07-05-2014, 01:09 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
I was a little disappointed with Saviano's pre match comments when he was asked how he prepared Bouchard for Kvitova and he responded by saying they didn't worry about what her opponent could do and only focused on what Eugenie does. If that was the case it was a big mistake. Kvitova being the most powerful player she had faced in a while and also a lefty. Bouchard continued to play inside the baseline even when kvitova's shots were getting back to her faster than she could handle them. She wasn't prepared at all to handle them.

Kvitova was awesome today and full credit for her win. Congratulations to Bouchard for another tremendous tournament. Can't wait for the Rogers Tournament and the US Open next month.
I completely agree. I was really put off by the dismissal of the a quality opponent like Kvitova in Genies preparation.

A very rookie mistake from a very experienced coach and it definitely hurt Genie today.

Old
07-05-2014, 01:25 PM
OilerPensfan94
Letthemaddnessbegin

vCash: 550
Ugh, so close. Still proud of Genie for making it this far, though .

OilerPensfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 01:46 PM
SLURVE

A view from my armchair. I am proud for Bouchard (accomplishing what no Canadian has ever done) and knowing the world has adopted our Genie; and as Mary Joe FernŠndez stated "a perfect package".

In Bouchard's post-game presser, she answered her questions with poise and honesty giving respect and crediting Kvitova for playing great tennis.

There are many reasons why Bouchard lost today. As we have all heard and watched, it was a combination of Kvitova being in a zone today and the growth of Bouchard.

Kvitova was aggressive with her serves and not hesitating on her next move-very confident and calm. She was precision in making all her skill shots (from angles and placements) which kept Bouchard off her game.

Today, as mentioned, was a stepping stone for Bouchard. A bit of nerves, inexperience in a final's match and difficulties in taking advantage of any holes in Kvitova's game today (which were few). Genie is only 20 and being a poise and competitive, she will learn to adapt and adjust to playing tougher opponents in a final's match. Like many have said, to become a champion, one has to learn from past experiences (the good and the bad) and put it together with a few fall back options in her next slam. Good luck Genie!

SLURVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 07:00 PM
MoneyGuy

This is what she said: "I think Wimbledon is greater than the Stanley Cup." Google it and you'll find in it a Sum story.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 07:19 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLURVE View Post
A view from my armchair. I am proud for Bouchard (accomplishing what no Canadian has ever done) and knowing the world has adopted our Genie; and as Mary Joe FernŠndez stated "a perfect package".

In Bouchard's post-game presser, she answered her questions with poise and honesty giving respect and crediting Kvitova for playing great tennis.

There are many reasons why Bouchard lost today. As we have all heard and watched, it was a combination of Kvitova being in a zone today and the growth of Bouchard.

Kvitova was aggressive with her serves and not hesitating on her next move-very confident and calm. She was precision in making all her skill shots (from angles and placements) which kept Bouchard off her game.

Today, as mentioned, was a stepping stone for Bouchard. A bit of nerves, inexperience in a final's match and difficulties in taking advantage of any holes in Kvitova's game today (which were few). Genie is only 20 and being a poise and competitive, she will learn to adapt and adjust to playing tougher opponents in a final's match. Like many have said, to become a champion, one has to learn from past experiences (the good and the bad) and put it together with a few fall back options in her next slam. Good luck Genie!
I thought she was really classy in defeat and to be honest, I wasn't sure how she was going to react seeing as how she is very outspoken and young. Sometimes that isn't a very good combination but she was very graceful.

Old
07-05-2014, 07:20 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
I thought she was really classy in defeat and to be honest, I wasn't sure how she was going to react seeing as how she is very outspoken and young. Sometimes that isn't a very good combination but she was very graceful.
I agree.

Genie is a very impressive young lady.

As a Canadian its impossible not to feel proud of the her.

Old
08-06-2014, 08:41 PM
rboomercat90

Forgive me for bumping this Eugenie Bouchard thread to talk about Milo's Roanic but I didn't see another tennis thread and didn't feel like starting one.

Is anybody watching the Roanic-Sock match right now? I've never seen so much bad blood in a tennis match before. I keep expecting these guys to drop their rackets and meet at the net and start throwing down. Milo's is pretty much his calm self but Sock looks like he's ready to lose it. I didn't see the first set so I'm not sure if anything happened. I did see Milo's hammer the ball near his head once with Sock trying to stare him down but I don't know if anything else happened.

Old
08-07-2014, 01:23 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Raonic is one cocky dude. Talented and gifted, but extremely cocky.

He completely tooled Arash Madani during their after-match interview.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 01:30 AM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Raonic is one cocky dude. Talented and gifted, but extremely cocky.

He completely tooled Arash Madani during their after-match interview.
I find him really awkward to watch in interviews. Like he's trying to hard to be cool or something. He's getting better but he's got a ways to go.

Old
08-07-2014, 01:43 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
I find him really awkward to watch in interviews. Like he's trying to hard to be cool or something. He's getting better but he's got a ways to go.
The best thing about that interview is that it was Arash Madani. That guy deserved to be tooled, and Raonic just did what a lot of anti-Madanites have wanted to do for a long time, and he did it on public television.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 04:18 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

Best thing about it was Dan Tencer being a tennis expert during Wimbledon and then like "Oh ****, time to get off the expert bandwagon, I know nothing about tennis" timeline of his posts.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 04:38 AM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 100
Anywhere I can find this post-match interview?

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 01:18 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Anywhere I can find this post-match interview?
here you go:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/tennis/raoni...eezed-through/

SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 02:26 PM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle View Post
Thanks bud.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 12:45 AM
Brewster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle View Post
That was satisfyingly awkward.

Hopefully Milos gets a shot at revenge vs Federer later in the tourney!

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 02:09 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

So sad the job that Sportsnet is doing on the Rogers Cup tournament.

Bad enough we have to listen to below average commentary from the likes of Damian Cox but the total and utter lack of schedule updates over the past week has been brutal.

Trying to PVR the Raonic matches was an exercise in futility. Sportsnet didnt even know which channel they were running the coverage on.

Now I go to their brutal website to try and find out when the finals are being broadcast and on what channels and there is nothing to be found.

Their broadcast schedule doesnt even show any tennis matches.

Their "up to date" Live events portion for Sunday on their website has no tennis.

What a s**t show. No comparison between TSN and Sportsnet on virtually any sporting event. TSN is so much better.

Cant wait for their 12 years of top notch quality of NHL coverage to start.

Old
08-10-2014, 02:54 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
So sad the job that Sportsnet is doing on the Rogers Cup tournament.

Bad enough we have to listen to below average commentary from the likes of Damian Cox but the total and utter lack of schedule updates over the past week has been brutal.

Trying to PVR the Raonic matches was an exercise in futility. Sportsnet didnt even know which channel they were running the coverage on.

Now I go to their brutal website to try and find out when the finals are being broadcast and on what channels and there is nothing to be found.

Their broadcast schedule doesnt even show any tennis matches.

Their "up to date" Live events portion for Sunday on their website has no tennis.

What a s**t show. No comparison between TSN and Sportsnet on virtually any sporting event. TSN is so much better.

Cant wait for their 12 years of top notch quality of NHL coverage to start.
Sportsnet is ****ing garbage. The worst thing to happen to sports in this country is their 12 year contract with the NHL. Sportsnet doesn't know their ass from their elbow. I don't know if it's possible to run a network and website worse than they do.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote