HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Eugenie Bouchard Discussion Thread

Old
08-10-2014, 02:13 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
So sad the job that Sportsnet is doing on the Rogers Cup tournament.

Bad enough we have to listen to below average commentary from the likes of Damian Cox but the total and utter lack of schedule updates over the past week has been brutal.

Trying to PVR the Raonic matches was an exercise in futility. Sportsnet didnt even know which channel they were running the coverage on.

Now I go to their brutal website to try and find out when the finals are being broadcast and on what channels and there is nothing to be found.

Their broadcast schedule doesnt even show any tennis matches.

Their "up to date" Live events portion for Sunday on their website has no tennis.

What a s**t show. No comparison between TSN and Sportsnet on virtually any sporting event. TSN is so much better.

Cant wait for their 12 years of top notch quality of NHL coverage to start.
I went looking for the semi finals yesterday and noticed they weren't televised on any of the Sportsnet channels. I eventually found them on CBC. Even though I watched most of this tournament I don't remember seeing or hearing anywhere that the semi finals and finals would be shown on CBC. I've hated Sportsnet for years, not so much because of their commentators, those guys are interchangeable for me anyway. What I can't stand is they get so much product that they can't show it all properly. I don't how many times I've been annoyed that I've had to watch a Flames game on Sportnet West or a REPLAY of a Premiership game on Sportsnet One while every other regional channel was showing the Raptors game I wanted to see. I also remember a few years back when Sportsnet West was showing Yankee games everyday while the other regional networks had the Jays game. I sent several emails complaining about programming and not once did they be bother to respond to me.

I think them having hockey is going to suck for the average fan. They still have the rights to many other events and considering the piss poor way they've covered events in the past when they've had scheduling conflicts I can see it getting much worse. I'm sure their plan is just to partner up with as many other networks as possible to ensure these events get televised but unless you already have these channels it's going to cost a fortune. I already have a $200 a month cable bill and don't plan on adding any more to it. I don't need any extra hockey, I'm satisfied with watching the Oilers 82 games a year and maybe an extra game or two per week from another team if I have time. What I'd hate though is to lose access to other sports because of this hockey.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 11:46 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Sportsnet is ****ing garbage. The worst thing to happen to sports in this country is their 12 year contract with the NHL. Sportsnet doesn't know their ass from their elbow. I don't know if it's possible to run a network and website worse than they do.
Yeah its pretty sad. Tough to imagine enduring 12 years of their sub par coverage (TV and Web). Hopefully they manage to improve close to TSN standards sometime during their seemingly eternal contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
I went looking for the semi finals yesterday and noticed they weren't televised on any of the Sportsnet channels. I eventually found them on CBC. Even though I watched most of this tournament I don't remember seeing or hearing anywhere that the semi finals and finals would be shown on CBC. I've hated Sportsnet for years, not so much because of their commentators, those guys are interchangeable for me anyway. What I can't stand is they get so much product that they can't show it all properly. I don't how many times I've been annoyed that I've had to watch a Flames game on Sportnet West or a REPLAY of a Premiership game on Sportsnet One while every other regional channel was showing the Raptors game I wanted to see. I also remember a few years back when Sportsnet West was showing Yankee games everyday while the other regional networks had the Jays game. I sent several emails complaining about programming and not once did they be bother to respond to me.
Thats Sportsnet. They seem to operate in their own little self congratulatory fantasy bubble. Thats the only thing that explains how they can be so out of touch with how low their standards are IMO.

Maybe they are beloved by people who enjoy hockey fluff.

Quote:
I think them having hockey is going to suck for the average fan. They still have the rights to many other events and considering the piss poor way they've covered events in the past when they've had scheduling conflicts I can see it getting much worse. I'm sure their plan is just to partner up with as many other networks as possible to ensure these events get televised but unless you already have these channels it's going to cost a fortune. I already have a $200 a month cable bill and don't plan on adding any more to it. I don't need any extra hockey, I'm satisfied with watching the Oilers 82 games a year and maybe an extra game or two per week from another team if I have time. What I'd hate though is to lose access to other sports because of this hockey.
Agree wholeheartedly.
The amazing thing to me is that some people are actually happy about this deal. I have to say that completely eludes me.

There is NO upside to this IMO.

Getting back to tennis. Genie seems to have fallen to earth with a resounding thud.
Lost in the early rounds in Cincinnati. Too much too fast for Genie.

I expect she will be back in the 15-20 range before 2014 is out.

Meanwhile Milos is cruising along...easily advancing to the 3rd round in Cincinnati. His game is looking much more consistent.

guymez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 11:52 AM
McNihilist

Quote:
Yeah its pretty sad. Tough to imagine enduring 12 years of their sub par coverage (TV and Web). Hopefully they manage to improve close to TSN standards sometime during their seemingly eternal contract.
Eh? TSN? The network that doesn't air the first period of the Oilers game because the Leafs were losing in a shootout to the Islanders? The same network that brought us Pierre McGuire eargasming for 150 minutes straight every time they aired a Penguins game? No thanks to TSN, I'm glad they're out of the picture.

McNihilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 12:46 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilist View Post
Eh? TSN? The network that doesn't air the first period of the Oilers game because the Leafs were losing in a shootout to the Islanders? The same network that brought us Pierre McGuire eargasming for 150 minutes straight every time they aired a Penguins game? No thanks to TSN, I'm glad they're out of the picture.
Its standard practice for a network to conclude a game before airing the next game. Sportsnet does this all the time as well.

As for Pierre McGuire...I never claimed to like all of the on air personalities. I dont think there is a network in existence where that is possible. That said TSN's commentating routinely takes Sportsnet to the woodshed.

Sportsnets top guns are the like s of Kyprios, Shannon, Spector and Cox. Then they follow it up with hockey fluff like nice guy Gene Principe.

Garbage commentating from top to bottom IMO.

At least TSN overall delivers some critical thinking and quality commentating as well as an overall package that makes Sportsnet look like NAIT alumni hour.

Sportsnet has a long ways to go before they can deliver a quality hockey package.

Old
08-14-2014, 02:27 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:

Thats Sportsnet. They seem to operate in their own little self congratulatory fantasy bubble. Thats the only thing that explains how they can be so out of touch with how low their standards are IMO.

Maybe they are beloved by people who enjoy hockey fluff.

Agree wholeheartedly.
The amazing thing to me is that some people are actually happy about this deal. I have to say that completely eludes me.

There is NO upside to this IMO.

Getting back to tennis. Genie seems to have fallen to earth with a resounding thud.

Meanwhile Milos is cruising along...easily advancing to the 3rd round in Cincinnati. His game is looking much more consistent.
At least Genie was a little bit better and a lot more composed in her loss yesterday. I kind of felt embarrassed for her with what happened during her loss to Shelby Rogers in Montreal last week. She couldn't control her emotions and the camera catching her after the first set telling her coach she wanted to leave the court was the low point.

The good news is with another early exit she'll be well rested and should be able to be much more focused for the US open. I suspect she'll return to form for that.

As far as Milos goes, I didn't see his match yesterday, it was over too quickly and I was watching Eugenie play at the same time. I was surprised he lost to Lopez last week because he seemed to be in control (as much as you can be in control when your game plan is to just be relying on your own serve). But two breaks that seemingly came out of nowhere at the end of the first and third sets cost him. The third set especially was frustrating because he had triple break point in that set and ended up losing the game after he committed a couple lazy unforced errors. Outside of this match though, he has looked very good for the last couple months.

Last edited by rboomercat90: 08-14-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old
08-14-2014, 03:15 PM
McNihilist

Quote:
Its standard practice for a network to conclude a game before airing the next game. Sportsnet does this all the time as well.

As for Pierre McGuire...I never claimed to like all of the on air personalities. I dont think there is a network in existence where that is possible. That said TSN's commentating routinely takes Sportsnet to the woodshed.

Sportsnets top guns are the like s of Kyprios, Shannon, Spector and Cox. Then they follow it up with hockey fluff like nice guy Gene Principe.

Garbage commentating from top to bottom IMO.

At least TSN overall delivers some critical thinking and quality commentating as well as an overall package that makes Sportsnet look like NAIT alumni hour.

Sportsnet has a long ways to go before they can deliver a quality hockey package.
Meh, I'm either watching the game with friends, or at a bar, or whatever, so I don't really listen to them all that much anyway. I'll agree that overall, TSN employs better hockey personalities, but as far as their broadcast goes, I've never been impressed by them that much. Sportsnet always makes the beginning of the game available on one of their other channels some how - TSN, not so much.

I mostly mute out the color guys anyway.

McNihilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2014, 01:08 PM
rboomercat90

Raonic laying a world class beating on Fognini right now. These types of matches are few and far between for him but when they do happen they're fun to watch and show how good this guy can be when he puts his mind to it.

Old
09-02-2014, 12:34 AM
DrDrai
Destiny Panic's 2015

vCash: 500
Raonic has a terrible return game it seems, simply no rallies in this game between Nish and him

DrDrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2014, 01:10 AM
Toydarian

Raonic just doesn't have a well rounded game. His serve is obviously an incredible weapon (the best in the game) and the key to his success. His forehand and volley are strong enough to keep him in extended points, but his backhand is weak and below average.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2014, 01:40 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
Raonic just doesn't have a well rounded game. His serve is obviously an incredible weapon (the best in the game) and the key to his success. His forehand and volley are strong enough to keep him in extended points, but his backhand is weak and below average.
The problem is whenever he meets up with a player who has a good return game and can think the game better than he can. That's why he has such a poor record against an aging Federer. It's also why unless he improves his overall game he'll never be able to consistently beat the Djovokic's and Nadal's of the game.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2014, 02:18 AM
rboomercat90

Quote:
He's been better in the last couple months but yeah, you're right. Still frustrating to watch. His primary goal is still to win every set on the strength of his serve. He puts out little effort in return games. He can beat most of the players on the tour with that strategy but not the elite players, have to wonder if he's satisfied with that. Tonight he just ran out of gas and you could see it coming before he was broken in the fourth set.

Old
09-02-2014, 12:47 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
The problem is whenever he meets up with a player who has a good return game and can think the game better than he can. That's why he has such a poor record against an aging Federer. It's also why unless he improves his overall game he'll never be able to consistently beat the Djovokic's and Nadal's of the game.
That's unfair, the only people who can consistently beat the Djokovic's and Nadal's of the game right now are Nadal and Djokovic, and even Djokovic is having trouble against a healthy Nadal these days. Federer could do it in his prime but he's well past his prime (and still one of the top players in the world) The drop off after the top 2 or 3 players is massive.

Ranonic has flaws in his game no question but he plays within himself and it's gotten him a lot of wins. His poor record against an aging Federer is no slight against him, Federer has been beating big servers his entire career, ask Andy Roddick about Federer and his ability to neutralize a big servers game. Federer still has a great service game himself and he is great at getting his racquet on the ball and getting it back into play, once it's a rally he has too much all around game for the big serving guys to compete with.

Last nights match was a close one, Nishikori is an up and coming young player himself let's not forget. It could have gone either way but it looked to me like Raonic simply got tired first and he started spraying his forehand all over the place and his serve faltered. it was a marathon and he wore down first, it happens. I think his biggest thing is that he knows he can play conservative and still win. His serve is maybe the best on tour so he relies on that and doesn't take a lot of chances otherwise. It works against most players, but the top players it doesn't. If he took more chances and forced the issue more I think he does have the game to get some upsets, but he'd probably also lose some more games so right now I think he's just focussed on climbing up the rankings and gaining some more consistency. Eventually I am sure he will try and open things up more.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2014, 04:25 PM
GMofOilers

Raonic needs to play with more emotion, more risk taking. He bores me to death, but I still cheer for the Canadian, if he wasnt Canadian I would for sure cheer against him.

The problem with the big serve is you need to volley with it. If Roddick could of volley'ed with that serve back in the day against Federer, it would of been a totally different outcome.

GMofOilers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2014, 04:48 PM
Barkert Downboy Jr.
Useful Idiot

vCash: 418
Raonic has nothing that can bother Fed because Fed, more-so than most players, exposes Raonic's weaknesses to the nth degree; his weak backhand, below average court coverage, below average net game, average return game and inability to consistently display any sort of touch is why players in the top 10 don't have much trouble with Milos. And also why even though the 6-4;6-4;6-4 scoreline at Wimby and straight sets win in Cincy looked somewhat respectable, they weren't even close to being competitive matches.

He's had dream draws at Wimby and the US Open and has benefited ranking wise from them as such - He's a top 10 player but until he strengthens other areas of his game and doesn't have to rely on his serve so much, he's never going to seriously challenge for a slam. There are simply too many good young players coming up; Kei, Dimi, Kyrgios, Thiem etc. that he'll find himself competing against once the big 3 (Andy Murray isn't there right now) start winding down their careers and I can't see him taking two of those guys out on a consistent basis they way he plays tennis now.

The last two sets against Kei, Milos never seriously challenged Kei's serve.

Barkert Downboy Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2014, 05:49 PM
missinthejets

I just think people are too hard on Raonic and expect him to be something he's not. We are watching an era of tennis that has been flat out dominated by 3 players. Some people want to lump Andy Murray into that group too because he picked up a couple slams but he doesn't belong in that group. Mens tennis right now is all about Djokovic, Nadal and Federer. If they're healthy and playing up to the level they are capable of playing no one can touch them. Now it is likely an era that ends soon as Federer is 33 and Nadal is creeping up in age and can't seem to last more than one season healthy, but they're still far ahead of the comeptition. Raonic is a big server and he'll always be a big server. 6'5 guys rarely move well enough to be anything but so he plays a game that works for him and his limitations. He's been steadily creeping up the standings but instead of people applauding what he has done the focus on what he doesn't do. It's not an easy era to do well as a server, we should applaud the guy for getting to the ranking he has in such a time.

Old
09-02-2014, 06:00 PM
Toydarian

Raonic is obviously a terrific player and he -- as well as Canada -- should be incredibly proud of his accomplishments. He's a top 6 player in the world, that's incredible.

However, it requires something more to win a Grand Slam. You could argue this is the golden age of tennis with the likes of Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, & Murray all playing within the same decade. In order to win an open against any of those 4, in a best of 5 sets, requires much more than what Raonic has shown.

I don't see him winning a grand slam, hope he proves me wrong.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2014, 07:14 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ser Woof View Post
Raonic has nothing that can bother Fed because Fed, more-so than most players, exposes Raonic's weaknesses to the nth degree; his weak backhand, below average court coverage, below average net game, average return game and inability to consistently display any sort of touch is why players in the top 10 don't have much trouble with Milos. And also why even though the 6-4;6-4;6-4 scoreline at Wimby and straight sets win in Cincy looked somewhat respectable, they weren't even close to being competitive matches.

He's had dream draws at Wimby and the US Open and has benefited ranking wise from them as such - He's a top 10 player but until he strengthens other areas of his game and doesn't have to rely on his serve so much, he's never going to seriously challenge for a slam. There are simply too many good young players coming up; Kei, Dimi, Kyrgios, Thiem etc. that he'll find himself competing against once the big 3 (Andy Murray isn't there right now) start winding down their careers and I can't see him taking two of those guys out on a consistent basis they way he plays tennis now.

The last two sets against Kei, Milos never seriously challenged Kei's serve.
Yep, good assessment.

Old
09-02-2014, 07:47 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
Raonic is obviously a terrific player and he -- as well as Canada -- should be incredibly proud of his accomplishments. He's a top 6 player in the world, that's incredible.

However, it requires something more to win a Grand Slam. You could argue this is the golden age of tennis with the likes of Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, & Murray all playing within the same decade. In order to win an open against any of those 4, in a best of 5 sets, requires much more than what Raonic has shown.

I don't see him winning a grand slam, hope he proves me wrong.
but again, there's very few guys who have won a grand slam in the last almost 10 years. Del Potro got one and hasn't done anything since, Murray won 2 and then fell out of the top 10 this year, Wawrinka got the Australian this year but has not done well in the slams since (though better at the US Open) It's an era where your chances of winning a grand slam if your name is anything other than Djokovic, Nadal or Federer is next to impossible. I don't like throwing Murray in there with those other guys. His success was too short lived. Hell of a player but the 3 big names are just so dominant over such a long time they are a cut above. Going to be really interesting to see where things sit in another 3 or so years though. Federer will be on the wrong side of 35, Nadal will be on the wrong side of 30, Djokovic is likely out of his prime, that's when you should look at whether or not Raonic can win a slam.

Old
09-02-2014, 09:06 PM
Barkert Downboy Jr.
Useful Idiot

If he can stay ahead of guys like Kei, Dimi, Kyrgios, Thiem which is no guarantee considering that all of those guys, except maybe Thiem whom is still coming into his own, are all just as good if not better than Milos right now.

Milos is going to have his share of success but he'll have to rely on draw luck and some off performances by his opposition to consistently challenge in slams. Fed will be gone by the end of 2016; although with his new and improved back/racket combo I expect him to be competitive until he decides to hang em up. I'm fanatic in my fandom for the guy but even I'd written him off after 2013 so it's an absolute joy watching him this year - proving age is just a number. Nadal is an old 28; the style he plays has wreaked havoc on his body unfortunately but health permitting he's got another three RG's in him and maybe another US/Aus Open. Nole strikes me as another guy whose style is going to take its toll on him before he hits 30 but he'll contend at every slam for a while yet IMO and will be the odds on favorite at Aus/US Opens for quite a while yet and at RG when Nadal is gone. Murray, who knows; not a fan and not convinced he's going to do much other than win a couple more Wimby's throughout his career.

Baby Fed and Kei are my guys to consistently dominate in the slams from 2016 onwards and of course there'll always be the new batch of young up and comers that will and won't pan out. After this golden age of tennis I just hope we get another couple of bonafide superstars; I don't want to see a half decade of mediocrity with one and done's winning slams.

Last edited by Barkert Downboy Jr.: 09-02-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old
09-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Barkert Downboy Jr.
Useful Idiot

Quote:

Genie, if she drops, won't drop until 2015. With the way tennis rankings work, you defend your points from the year before so following up SF, SF, F at Aus/RG/Wimby respectively will be a tall order. She'll be year end top 10 quite comfortably and should pick up even more points since she has nothing to defend.

Rough patch for Genie but people forget she's only 20 years old. Has maturing to do and the areas of her game she needs to improve on; her first serve consistency, second serve, net play and forehand will come with time. She's got all the tools to make it happen.

Not saying you're one of them guymez but it's disheartening (and expected) to see all the people who had never heard of Genie before this year and started following her at Wimby write her off after a rough month. Young tennis players experience these rough patches all the time and many of them never replicate success they achieve early in their careers but Genie's different - she has to learn that every tournament she enters she'll be considered one of the top dogs and no match is going to be a walk in the park; everybody is going to play her tough. She hasn't quite seemed ready for that aspect of what her success has brought her watching her play in Canada, Cincy and NY.

Old
09-03-2014, 11:16 AM
GMofOilers

Genie will win a slam before Milos. She wants it more, and has a better all around game.

This was a big season for Genie and shes not done yet. She was wore out by the US open and has had some nagging injuires for the last little while that havent had a chance to heal.

GMofOilers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Genie will win a slam before Milos. She wants it more, and has a better all around game.

This was a big season for Genie and shes not done yet. She was wore out by the US open and has had some nagging injuires for the last little while that havent had a chance to heal.
I don't know that I would say that as much as, it's a bit less of a mountain to climb, compared with Milos' competition. That said, I agree she will get one first.

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2014, 11:49 AM
missinthejets

Quote:
Not saying you're one of them guymez but it's disheartening (and expected) to see all the people who had never heard of Genie before this year and started following her at Wimby write her off after a rough month. Young tennis players experience these rough patches all the time and many of them never replicate success they achieve early in their careers but Genie's different - she has to learn that every tournament she enters she'll be considered one of the top dogs and no match is going to be a walk in the park; everybody is going to play her tough. She hasn't quite seemed ready for that aspect of what her success has brought her watching her play in Canada, Cincy and NY.
You have to take into account how volatile the womens draw is too. There are a lot of players on the womens tour who are capable of playing at a high level, the problem is that really only Serena Williams (and even she is faltering a bit with age) can do it on a consistent basis. So you wind up with unexpectedly tough matches all over the place for women because that lack of consistency means the rankings and seedings are so meaningless.

Old
09-03-2014, 12:27 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post

Well in fairness plowing through the Womens tennis world is a hole lot easier than what Raonic faces.

Plus that in the Men's game theres tougher matches at most rounds. In the Womens game theres not nearly as many quality players. Indeed in this tournament the only hope for Bouchard going deep was due to the other dangerous womens players already bowing out of the tourney.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2014, 12:59 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Genie, if she drops, won't drop until 2015. With the way tennis rankings work, you defend your points from the year before so following up SF, SF, F at Aus/RG/Wimby respectively will be a tall order. She'll be year end top 10 quite comfortably and should pick up even more points since she has nothing to defend.
Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Rough patch for Genie but people forget she's only 20 years old. Has maturing to do and the areas of her game she needs to improve on; her first serve consistency, second serve, net play and forehand will come with time. She's got all the tools to make it happen.
I agree. I just think its the rigor of tournament play at a high level combined with the exponentially increasing off court notoriety that has taken a toll on her. It may be 4-6 months before she recovers from that and is able to fulfill her potential.

I think it was too much too soon for Genie.

Quote:
Agreed. I also think she has to be careful not to run herself down and also not let her off court notoriety overwhelm her.

I hope her handlers manage her and the situation effectively allowing Genie is able to fulfill her potential.

She has the tools to be a great player if things are manged properly.