HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

tix still available in atlanta, now discounted...

Old
04-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Lou's Koolaid
I live here

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9 View Post
Beats being a team that has 3 Cups in 10 yrs and another 1st place visit and the Devils still can't sellout a F'in playoff game and actually offer discounted tix as to not be totally humiliated when they have empties all over the CAA!

If a team can't sellout a playoff game they simply have no business being in that market.
If you live in N.J and your a Ranger than you can blame yourself.Sorry there isn't enough Devil fans to make you happy.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 04-11-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Lou's Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 07:23 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetNoneIn View Post
To say that the city which put on the largest Olympics the world has ever seen is a crappy sports town is myopic.
It might have been the largest, but it was also by and large considered to have been a disaster.

04-11-2007, 07:45 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
That is pathetic. This league needs contraction.

I agree, If you cannot sell out a playoff game than you should not b in the leauge.
So sad & dissapointing.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 07:55 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
To say that the city which put on the largest Olympics the world has ever seen is a crappy sports town is myopic.

Competition for sports dollars here is tough. You can't see a seasons worth of ACC basketball in NYC. You cant go to SEC football in NYC. etc. etc. Atlanta has things you can't do in NYC. (shocking I know).

The hardcore base of Thrasher fans is a mix of nothern transplants and southerners who became hockey fans back when the Flames were here. But for transplants, they have to decide to give up on their old team and become Thrasher fans, otherwise, they just come out twice a year when the team they grew up with is in town. I've seen a grown man change jerseys in the middle of a Flyer/Thrasher game depending on who is winning. It's tough to let go and give your heart to the expansion club. I still occasionally wince at the sight of the spoked B.

Atlanta's population is 50% black. They are not natural hockey fans. Nonetheless, black attendance at Philips is up every year, and is now at the point where blacks in the stands aren't 'token.'

But all this takes time. The team invests a lot in supporting youth hockey. Those kids are future season ticket holders, just as so many middle aged guys like me that I meet at games played hockey as kids up north.
Dude, I don't mean to be rude, but it's a widely held opinion that Atlanta sports fans are awful at supporting their teams. I've heard announcers talk about it on both national baseball and basketball broadcasts. I have a friend who's lived in Atlanta for 10 years and he says that they're awful. The Braves don't draw (despite being the best team in the NL for 14 years). The Hawks don't draw. The Thrashers don't draw. I honestly don't know about the Falcons. That's at LEAST 3 of the 4 major sports teams.

And don't throw out college sports and other events, please - the measuring stick of how important sports is to a town is how it supports its major teams day-in, day-out. A couple of golf tournaments and a couple of NASCAR races don't matter - that's not having a rooting interest, that's attending an event. And besides, New York has Big East basketball (including the championship tournament every year), big golf tournaments, a horse race that you might have heard of, etc., etc.... and yet the teams in the four major sports (including two in football and two in baseball, soon to be two in hoops) still manage to sell out their games.

It's foolish to even put NY and Atlanta in the same sentence when it comes to sports. That's not a value judgement about which city is a better place to live (hey, I would've loved your weather a week ago), but it is true.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 08:04 PM
GetPucksDeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I agree, If you cannot sell out a playoff game than you should not b in the leauge.
So sad & dissapointing.
So you're saying the Sens should be out of the NHL?

GetPucksDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 08:07 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
So you're saying the Sens should be out of the NHL?
If it means the Rangers get Spezza and Heatley, absolutely.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 08:16 PM
GetPucksDeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It might have been the largest, but it was also by and large considered to have been a disaster.
You got a point there.
Not totally, but aspects of it sure were.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's about dollars people - you can't dismiss college football and NASCAR just because your town doesn't have them. The Atlanta NASCAR track seats 124,000 and they sell it out twice a year - that's a quarter of a million in attendance at prices higher than baseball tickets. UGA sells out over 100,000 seats for 7 dates a year, and alumni have to fork over $2k just for the right to buy tickets. G-Tech's numbers are probably 60% of that. Add it up and your looking at 1.5 mil in attendance that ISN'T spent on pro sports. The Falcons sell out EVERY game. That's a tough ticket.

Is Atlanta a GREAT sports town? No. It's fickle has hell. You'd better win, or your playing to empty seats. But it can and is doing an okay job with its NHL team. Hockey is not on life support in GA.

GetPucksDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Lundqvist102

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
I don't think its fair to make you defend your city...but just pointing out that virtually 100% of football games are sold out regardless.

Lundqvist102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 09:35 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Dude, I don't mean to be rude, but it's a widely held opinion that Atlanta sports fans are awful at supporting their teams. I've heard announcers talk about it on both national baseball and basketball broadcasts. I have a friend who's lived in Atlanta for 10 years and he says that they're awful. The Braves don't draw (despite being the best team in the NL for 14 years). The Hawks don't draw. The Thrashers don't draw. I honestly don't know about the Falcons. That's at LEAST 3 of the 4 major sports teams.
It's common knowledge that Atlanta fans will put up with mediocre teams year after year since, frankly, there simply is not enough fans to actually give a real ****.

Atlanta is not a sports town.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote