HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rogers Place Construction Thread

Old
08-10-2014, 10:28 PM
Hockey Fan #751

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
this is why I hate cold temperatures...crappy, icy roads, bundling up to start your car and leaving your house

at least if your car breaks down in the summer all you have to do is find some shade and chill...in the winter you literally have to keep warm to save your life

Yeah, summer in Edmonton. Summer in, say, Houston and you would be in big trouble.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 10:35 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

In Arizona people walk around with a couple 4 liter jugs of water wherever they go. If they don't, they could die just as fast.

Temperature is funny like that. Too much of either is a bad thing. But no, Edmonton is definitely worse considering the comparable hot weather has more sex appeal.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 11:04 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
this is why I hate cold temperatures...crappy, icy roads, bundling up to start your car and leaving your house

at least if your car breaks down in the summer all you have to do is find some shade and chill...in the winter you literally have to keep warm to save your life
Well heres a strange thing. Get in a car accident on a hot day and it'll take about half an hour to become critically ill, even die, if you happen to be knocked out in a closed vehicle.

Dressed with a reasonably good winter jacket you could survive several hours in an enclosed vehicle in the same situation in -25C weather.

People kid themselves. Dress accordingly and you get into very little difficulty ever in a winter climate. But be trapped somewhere in the heat and hot sun for even a little period of time and you're done for.

Heat is lethal and quick. I would say more deadly. Certainly in the world many more people die from heatwaves than they do from cold exposure.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 11:09 PM
alphahelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Well heres a strange thing. Get in a car accident on a hot day and it'll take about half an hour to become critically ill, even die, if you happen to be knocked out in a closed vehicle.

Dressed with a reasonably good winter jacket you could survive several hours in an enclosed vehicle in the same situation in -25C weather.

People kid themselves. Dress accordingly and you get into very little difficulty ever in a winter climate. But be trapped somewhere in the heat and hot sun for even a little period of time and you're done for.

Heat is lethal and quick. I would say more deadly. Certainly in the world many more people die from heatwaves than they do from cold exposure.
And how many people live in very cold climates vs. hot climates? The numbers are probably about equal right?

Just pickin' on ya.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 11:21 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
tbh I prefer -25C to +35C. I would melt in Phoenix.
Man I'm the exact opposite! I would way rather be in +35 weather than -25 everyday of the week!

Like others have already said, the other negative factors that come along with cold weather far out way any that you get with being too hot, at least IMO

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 11:39 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
And how many people live in very cold climates vs. hot climates? The numbers are probably about equal right?

Just pickin' on ya.
haha, yeah I know.

But still, severe heat can kill a toddler or pet left in a closed car in the sun in around 15-30mins. Pretty much guaranteed in an hour. The same toddler even reasonably dressed would survive hours left in a car in the cold.

not that anybody should ever do either, just saying.

I'm just posting this because people figure its somehow automatic that cold weather is more dangerous.

Old
08-10-2014, 11:43 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Man I'm the exact opposite! I would way rather be in +35 weather than -25 everyday of the week!

Like others have already said, the other negative factors that come along with cold weather far out way any that you get with being too hot, at least IMO
Negative factors of heat are things like hurricanes, Typhoons, Crocodiles, poisonous snakes, all sorts of creepy reptiles, a lethal insect kingdom we have no knowledge of here.

Virtually nothing other than a big bad bear is gonna kill me here..

Old
08-11-2014, 12:05 AM
vegas4ever

Quote:
Negative factors of heat are things like hurricanes, Typhoons, Crocodiles, poisonous snakes, all sorts of creepy reptiles, a lethal insect kingdom we have no knowledge of here.

Virtually nothing other than a big bad bear is gonna kill me here..
yeah, small thing like a tornado in 1987 might disagree with you.

vegas4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 01:13 AM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post

Yes, but I'd rather be in -35 than +45.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 08:30 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

So... How about that arena, hey?

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 09:27 AM
PETRYDISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
So... How about that arena, hey?
Ya im confused, I thought I selected the weather thread by accident haha.

PETRYDISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 08:55 PM
Cawz

They were talking about this on the news here in Calgary the other day - a Calgary developer buying up a bunch of property up there.

http://www.660news.com/2014/08/10/ca...opportunities/

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
They were talking about this on the news here in Calgary the other day - a Calgary developer buying up a bunch of property up there.

http://www.660news.com/2014/08/10/ca...opportunities/
I'm skeptical since my natural reaction as an Edmontonian is to assume everything Calgary related is an intricate plot against us.

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 09:26 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
I'm skeptical since my natural reaction as an Edmontonian is to assume everything Calgary related is an intricate plot against us.
Yeah, understandable, except that the chance to make money will always trump any inter-provincial rivalry.

Old
08-11-2014, 09:44 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Yeah, understandable, except that the chance to make money will always trump any inter-provincial rivalry.
Multiple developers from out of town are looking at buying property and capitalizing on the City fronting half a billion for a new arena.

Trouble for Edmonton is if that happens a lot of profit continues to go out of the city to other Corporations, head offices etc. That are not located here...

Wheres the Edmonton developers on this. If Edmonton is digging deep to pay for an arena one would think there should be interest in keeping the surrounding benefit a local benefit.

Old
08-11-2014, 09:50 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Multiple developers from out of town are looking at buying property and capitalizing on the City fronting half a billion for a new arena.

Trouble for Edmonton is if that happens a lot of profit continues to go out of the city to other Corporations, head offices etc. That are not located here...

Wheres the Edmonton developers on this. If Edmonton is digging deep to pay for an arena one would think there should be interest in keeping the surrounding benefit a local benefit.
Dunno. Good question.

If not Edmonton, at least its someone from another Alberta City investing

Old
08-11-2014, 10:56 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Polaris GTFO my comp

Quote:

This is just silly like saying having Petro cans here or esso stations are trouble. because the head offices are not here, you do realize majority of cities do not have head offices, and if people did not invest there it would severly hamper their economy. And worst case senerio is Main street starts building here creating jobs property taxes and other spin offs. And do you really think a person in Edmonton would spend his profits all here. another old man yells at cloud post from you. The city wants as many investors investing in the city no matter where they are from.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 11:18 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob Fail View Post
This is just silly like saying having Petro cans here or esso stations are trouble. because the head offices are not here, you do realize majority of cities do not have head offices, and if people did not invest there it would severly hamper their economy. And worst case senerio is Main street starts building here creating jobs property taxes and other spin offs. And do you really think a person in Edmonton would spend his profits all here. another old man yells at cloud post from you. The city wants as many investors investing in the city no matter where they are from.
Having all of our industry outsourced to multinationals who grab our resources and run and make all the profits from it IS a huge problem and is what separates this province from Norway. Some people realize this.

Of course having all investment outsourced limits the benefit to economy.

In anycase my point is interesting. Lots of local people and movers and shakers were saying that if only the city digs deep and fronts this half billion that the impetus will be enough for these developers to commit more now in building the downtown and keeping some of the benefit here. Where are these people now? Just words right? The investors swooping in are from Calgary and Toronto primarily. At least that's not multinational..

But it won't be doing much for the Edmonton economy other than increasing some tax base hopefully eventually and providing more service sector jobs and brief construction jobs.

Old
08-11-2014, 11:32 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Polaris GTFO my comp

Quote:
Having all of our industry outsourced to multinationals who grab our resources and run and make all the profits from it IS a huge problem and is what separates this province from Norway. Some people realize this.

In anycase my point is interesting. Lots of local people and movers and shakers were saying that if only the city digs deep and fronts this half billion that the impetus will be enough for these developers to commit more now in building the downtown and keeping some of the benefit here. Where are these people now? Just words right? The investors swooping in are from Calgary and Toronto primarily. At least that's not multinational..

But it won't be doing much for the Edmonton economy other than increasing some tax base hopefully eventually and providing more service sector jobs and brief construction jobs.
How do you think cities grow and keep expanding ? Please replacement stay off business topics because , honestly you have no idea how they work or what spin offs come from them. The arena development is already creating a boom downtown we have not seen since the 70's and you're saying this is having minimal impact. Just drop it .

Old
08-11-2014, 11:39 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
How do you think cities grow and keep expanding ? Please replacement stay off business topics because , honestly you have no idea how they work or what spin offs come from them. The arena development is already creating a boom downtown we have not seen since the 70's and you're saying this is having minimal impact. Just drop it .
I never said it had minimal impact. It would have much more impact if investment was local.

Given our affluence as a province and as a city I think a reasonable question can be asked about why more investment isn't local.

Indeed thinking in Norway, and belief in the importance of national industries there would be the direct opposite level of thought that occurs here.

Norwegians are not taking their resources for granted. They realize depletion of non renewable resource is something facing their children. To that end they are committed to retaining the most assets possible from their development and exploitation of natural resources and are diversifying their economy as much as possible. That level of longterm thinking doesn't even occur here and won't as long as the gravy train is running.

Old
08-11-2014, 11:47 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Polaris GTFO my comp

Quote:
I never said it had minimal impact. It would have much more impact if investment was local.

Given our affluence as a province and as a city I think a reasonable question can be asked about why more investment isn't local.

Indeed thinking in Norway, and belief in the importance of national industries there would be the direct opposite level of thought that occurs here.

Norwegians are not taking their resources for granted. They realize depletion of non renewable resource is something facing their children. To that end they are committed to retaining the most assets possible from their development and exploitation of natural resources and are diversifying their economy as much as possible. That level of longterm thinking doesn't even occur here and won't as long as the gravy train is running.
Norway has a population of 5 million they have increased a million over last 40 years, There immigration laws are one of the most strictist in the world, they have a small population and a load of resources. This ship has sailed in canada years ago , it would mean Alberta shutting its borders kicking out all multi national corporations and hoarding all its wealth to itself. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Old
08-11-2014, 11:51 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1250
"Rogers Place Construction Thread"

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 11:53 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Norway has a population of 5 million they have increased a million over last 40 years, There immigration laws are one of the most strictist in the world, they have a small population and a load of resources. This ship has sailed in canada years ago , it would mean Alberta shutting its borders kicking out all multi national corporations and hoarding all its wealth to itself. You're comparing apples to oranges.
Unfortunately, I think you are correct here. Our politicians sold us out long ago. Probably started around the time Getty was Premier.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 11:55 PM
samiam

Quote:

I would like it better too if there was a local investor that was snatching up land & developing properties around the arena. But the simple fact of the matter is that there is NOT. We shouldn't complain too hard about out of city investors taking a leap of faith in our town and investing, when there is nobody local willing to step up.

Although not ideal, outside investment is still getting us jobs, a much higher tax base for the city to draw from, and some new life into an area that's needed it for waaay too long.

samiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 12:04 AM
rboomercat90

Quote:

Could it be these local people simply don't exist anymore? I don't know the answer to this but it could explain why this city was so stagnant for almost thirty years.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote