HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Taylor Leier (2012, 117th overall, Philadelphia)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-08-2014, 09:55 PM
  #1
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
LW Taylor Leier (2012, 117th overall, Philadelphia)

Didn't see a thread on him but he put up pretty big numbers for Portland last season. Will likely be on the Phantoms next year.

Here's a highlight video I made:


Last edited by PhilaFlyers: 08-08-2014 at 10:51 PM.
PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 10:25 PM
  #2
The Dream
User Registered
 
The Dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,736
vCash: 500
Nice. I could see him playing a Matt Read type role for us in a few years.

The Dream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 10:59 PM
  #3
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?
 
Roo Mad Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,022
vCash: 500
If he pans out I think he could be a very good 3rd liner. Good skater, gritty, decent offensively and a good two way player who has intangibles.

Very good progression from his draft year.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 12:52 AM
  #4
The Rage Kage
Registered User
 
The Rage Kage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,056
vCash: 500
I know it could change, but right now our 2012 draft is looking promising, Laughton, Stolarz, Ghost, and Leier

The Rage Kage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 05:30 AM
  #5
Frankenstein
Registered User
 
Frankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
If everything pans out for Leier how long until he makes the NHL?

Frankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 11:11 AM
  #6
The Dream
User Registered
 
The Dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
If everything pans out for Leier how long until he makes the NHL?
Probably 2 more years in the AHL if everything goes fine. And then he will be up with the big club in a 3rd line role.

The Dream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 10:03 PM
  #7
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage Kage View Post
I know it could change, but right now our 2012 draft is looking promising, Laughton, Stolarz, Ghost, and Leier
Yes it is.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 02:11 PM
  #8
PumpkinBomb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 736
vCash: 500
Portland's system is sort of weird.

They dominate the WHL, and the players look amazing in the dub. But then it doesn't really fool the scouts and a lot of these players get drafted in the 2nd round or later, and then have about the same nhl success as their draft positions show.

When i watched some of the portland playoff games on shaw this year I never once thought leier was a threat on the ice like some of their other players. But at the same time he looked better than a lot of them as well.

Does that make any sense? Like he had zero flash to his game, but would just grind it out. You don't really notice him either way, but he would be a plus player and on the score sheet at the end of the game.

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 03:32 PM
  #9
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 9,023
vCash: 500
I think he's a better prospect than Cousins.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 04:08 PM
  #10
The Dream
User Registered
 
The Dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post
Portland's system is sort of weird.

They dominate the WHL, and the players look amazing in the dub. But then it doesn't really fool the scouts and a lot of these players get drafted in the 2nd round or later, and then have about the same nhl success as their draft positions show.

When i watched some of the portland playoff games on shaw this year I never once thought leier was a threat on the ice like some of their other players. But at the same time he looked better than a lot of them as well.

Does that make any sense? Like he had zero flash to his game, but would just grind it out. You don't really notice him either way, but he would be a plus player and on the score sheet at the end of the game.
So... pretty much Matt Read. At the end of the season you look back at the stats and see Matt Read has 20 goals. And you don't remember a single one.

The Dream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 05:49 PM
  #11
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,974
vCash: 0
3rd line ceiling. I think at the NHL level he`s more of a grinder than a scorer. A Read-type of player isn`t a great comparison IMO.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 06:03 PM
  #12
The Dream
User Registered
 
The Dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by R S View Post
3rd line ceiling. I think at the NHL level he`s more of a grinder than a scorer. A Read-type of player isn`t a great comparison IMO.
Read isn't a finesse guy. He is a defensive guy that has an underrated shot.

Taylor Leier - Sean Couturier - Matt Read, could be one of the best shutdown lines in the NHL in a couple years.

The Dream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 06:18 PM
  #13
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,974
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dream View Post
Read isn't a finesse guy. He is a defensive guy that has an underrated shot.

Taylor Leier - Sean Couturier - Matt Read, could be one of the best shutdown lines in the NHL in a couple years.
Say what you want about Read, he`s still a guy that has scored (or been on pace for) 20+ goals in each of his first 3 NHL seasons. I don`t think Leier will provide that type of production, especially right off the hop in his NHL career.

And I`m not a hater, his development has been fantastic, I just think his numbers have definitely been inflated by playing in Portland with some very highly skilled and smart players.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 06:20 PM
  #14
The Dream
User Registered
 
The Dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by R S View Post
Say what you want about Read, he`s still a guy that has scored (or been on pace for) 20+ goals in each of his first 3 NHL seasons. I don`t think Leier will provide that type of production, especially right off the hop in his NHL career.

And I`m not a hater, his development has been fantastic, I just think his numbers have definitely been inflated by playing in Portland with some very highly skilled and smart players.
Neither do I, but I don't think it is inconceivable for him to be a 30-35 point guy who plays good D.

The Dream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 01:50 AM
  #15
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 5,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post
Does that make any sense? Like he had zero flash to his game, but would just grind it out. You don't really notice him either way, but he would be a plus player and on the score sheet at the end of the game.
Yeah that's fair. That's how I feel about him as well. He's a guy that can wear a bunch of different hats and that's how he will provide value to a team. He's a safe player. Probably what made him appealing to Team Canada, even though he didn't make much of an impact during the tournament. Low ceiling-high floor kind of guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dream View Post
So... pretty much Matt Read. At the end of the season you look back at the stats and see Matt Read has 20 goals. And you don't remember a single one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R S View Post
3rd line ceiling. I think at the NHL level he`s more of a grinder than a scorer. A Read-type of player isn`t a great comparison IMO.
Agreed. Read is a better goal scorer and skater. 20+ goal scorer while playing more of a defensive role without much PP time. I don't see Leier getting near 20 goals/season. Probably not a PP guy either.


Last edited by FLYguy3911: 08-13-2014 at 01:57 AM.
FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 01:08 PM
  #16
Haanz
Registered User
 
Haanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 86
vCash: 500
I think Ben Smith would be a better comparable for Leier than Read. Versatile bottom 6 guy.

Haanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 01:31 PM
  #17
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 11,837
vCash: 500
Read is one of the most underrated players in the league. No way in hell does leier come close to producing what he does.

I see leier as being a bit better than Darroll Powe. Maybe a 8- 10 goal guy who can put up 30 pts.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 03:54 PM
  #18
Colin Black
Cut back, Smokey!
 
Colin Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington State
Country: United States
Posts: 117
vCash: 500
As much as I hate the Winterhawks (Everett fan), Taylor Leier was an incredible captain for their 2013-2014 roster. Tough, skilled, devoted, tons of heart, and excellent defensively. I really hope he pans out for Philly.

Colin Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 08:52 PM
  #19
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,581
vCash: 500
Matt Read isn't a fair comparable from the get-go because he's 28 and has very little mileage on him compared to most 28 year-old players. He came into the NHL already developed in every way. Most prospects don't have that advantage or look that good from the start.

Not saying Leier is capable of being a 25 goal guy like Read has been but this is probably the best Read will ever be and his development path was pretty nice for him.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 10:41 PM
  #20
The Rage Kage
Registered User
 
The Rage Kage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,056
vCash: 500
Yah for all we know at 28 leier could be a 20 goal scorer

The Rage Kage is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.