HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Director of Analytics

Old
08-11-2014, 07:03 PM
jol

vCash: 500
Director of Analytics

Team has hired Brian MacDonald for this position:
"A couple of weeks ago, the Leafs hired Kyle Dubas, a 28-year-old "analytics guru" who is known for his new-aged hockey analytics insights. Last week the New Jersey GM, Lou Lamoriello, announced the hiring of Sunny Mehta to head up the new Analytics Department of the Devils organization. Mehta is a former professional poker player who was brought in to apply his skills of advanced statistics to sports. Just this week the Edmonton Oilers hired the analytics forerunner, Tyler Dellow and the Florida Panthers hired Brian MacDonald as their Director of Analytics."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/emily-...orts&ir=Sports

Anybody know if this is a new position? I think this is good thing for the team and will help them greatly.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 08:13 PM
coopdaloop123

He visited the team a few times last season. He's a former math professor from West Point and a very nice guy. He's into a stat known as advanced plus/minus which is a good indicator of a players $ value. Hoping to talk to him more before the season starts.

coopdaloop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 07:32 AM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopdaloop123 View Post
He visited the team a few times last season. He's a former math professor from West Point and a very nice guy. He's into a stat known as advanced plus/minus which is a good indicator of a players $ value. Hoping to talk to him more before the season starts.
I'm sure team will use this, owners are in computerized trading business and seems that owners have known MacDonald earlier.
In last soccer World Cup, Germany took Analytics to new level. They bought application from SAP (data warehouse?), hired 40 students to run application. Database had something like 7 million records about each player (own and opponents).Sure it helped them to win the cup, but of course some other aspects also helped them.
Anyways, good tool.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 08:49 AM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Interesting, thank you.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 12:06 PM
Cats2TheCup

I was hoping we'd follow suite with the new analytics phenomenon sweeping through the hockey world. I figured we'd be one of the last teams to hop that train. Glad to see things have changed around here with the Violas. Good, competitive move.

Cats2TheCup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 12:30 PM
coopdaloop123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats2TheCup View Post
I was hoping we'd follow suite with the new analytics phenomenon sweeping through the hockey world. I figured we'd be one of the last teams to hop that train. Glad to see things have changed around here with the Violas. Good, competitive move.
Team was actually ahead of the curb in some regards. Macdonald spent some time with the organization last season.

coopdaloop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 12:39 PM
EnforceTheLaus
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Team was actually ahead of the curb in some regards. Macdonald spent some time with the organization last season.
If some of the twitter talk is true (I'll try to find it) the org was talking analytics in drafting all the way back to drafting Huberdeau.

EnforceTheLaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 02:17 AM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

vCash: 487
Quote:
Did Vinnie know him prior with the West Point connection?

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 02:20 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnforceTheLaus View Post
If some of the twitter talk is true (I'll try to find it) the org was talking analytics in drafting all the way back to drafting Huberdeau.
Damn that's impressive. It would also explain the success we've had with draft picks in recent history compared to our first 15 years.

JonathanHuberdoh is online now   Reply With Quote