HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers invite Russian Prospect Vladimir Tkachev to Training Camp

Old
08-14-2014, 11:34 AM
Dabomb

vCash: 500
Tkachev, Zharkov, Yakimov, Slepyshev.... one of them's gotta work out... right? RIGHT?

Dabomb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 11:35 AM
backhandsauce

backhandsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 11:36 AM
backhandsauce

backhandsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 11:37 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
I honestly hope they sign him, a guy like Hamilton will be pushed out, so the amount contracts should level out, and you improve your prospect depth.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 11:52 AM
LTIR

vCash: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
Slepyshev-Yakimov-Tkachev on the 3rd line. Make it happen Oilers!!
Make it happen Barons you mean

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 12:01 PM
LTIR

vCash: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilTastic View Post
the Oilers baffle me sometimes....they don't want the almost exact same talent in Toni Rajala at 5' 10" and 165, but they want Connor and Kellen Jones in the system, both at 5' 9" and 165 and now Tkachev at 5' 8" and 165. just baffling!
One kid wanted to leave NA and go for KHL $$... The other wants to leave KHL and give NA a shot.

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 12:06 PM
OilBuoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilTastic View Post
the Oilers baffle me sometimes....they don't want the almost exact same talent in Toni Rajala at 5' 10" and 165, but they want Connor and Kellen Jones in the system, both at 5' 9" and 165 and now Tkachev at 5' 8" and 165. just baffling!
From what I understand, the only reason Toni Rajala was released is because he didn't see an NHL opportunity for himself in Edmonton last season and preferred to play in Europe for more money as opposed to the AHL and asked to be released from his NHL deal.

The Jones twins are in the Oilers system but are signed to AHL deals. They do not count against Edmonton's 50 contract limit and are technically free to sign an NHL deal with any other team if they so choose. Playing in OKC or Bakersfield allows the Oilers and their staff to keep tabs on them without 100% committing to them which is win-win from an Edmonton POV.

Tkachev is another small forward who oozes skill. He is very shifty and may be able to survive by eluding bigger defenders. Time will tell but it could end up being a very good move for the organization if he pans out. From watching him play in Moncton, I'm positive he will impress enough at camp to earn a contract. I'm looking forward to seeing what type of player he can become at the next level.

OilBuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 12:15 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Like the move. No risk. He does well we sign him, if not what do you lose?

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 12:19 PM
OilBuoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Like the move. No risk. He does well we sign him, if not what do you lose?
Plus if Edmonton signs him, his contract won't count against the 50 contract limit this year once he's sent back to junior. His contract will slide. This same rule applies to Nurse and any other junior aged player (excluding 20s) who spends the season at the junior level.

OilBuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 12:25 PM
OilTastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilBuoy View Post
From what I understand, the only reason Toni Rajala was released is because he didn't see an NHL opportunity for himself in Edmonton last season and preferred to play in Europe for more money as opposed to the AHL and asked to be released from his NHL deal.

The Jones twins are in the Oilers system but are signed to AHL deals. They do not count against Edmonton's 50 contract limit and are technically free to sign an NHL deal with any other team if they so choose. Playing in OKC or Bakersfield allows the Oilers and their staff to keep tabs on them without 100% committing to them which is win-win from an Edmonton POV.

Tkachev is another small forward who oozes skill. He is very shifty and may be able to survive by eluding bigger defenders. Time will tell but it could end up being a very good move for the organization if he pans out. From watching him play in Moncton, I'm positive he will impress enough at camp to earn a contract. I'm looking forward to seeing what type of player he can become at the next level.
^fair enough. i wasn't sure when it came to the stories on the Jones boys and Rajala, so thanx for clearing that up. having said that, i actually don't mind the signing. Tkachev was ranked #60 for NA players on the CSS 2014 final draft rankings, so it's a low risk, potentially high reward for the Oilers.

OilTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 03:19 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

I'm just surprised that a "loophole" like this exists. I thought every player under 20 had to go through the draft and couldn't be a "free agent" but obviously there is precedent for this so hopefully the Oilers are watching for more opportunities like this out there.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 03:25 PM
Moreaupheus
Tracing the dream

One question, can he do shootout spinorama's?

Moreaupheus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 05:36 PM
Tw0Shoes

They also have another small guy in Arcobello. That being said, it'll be at least 5 seasons before Tkachev will even have to clear waivers by the look of things(still has 2 years of junior before he's an over-ager) . The team will look vastly different by that point and might have a position for a skilled winger.

Tw0Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 08:03 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhandsauce View Post
Hmm. He actually keeps his stick on the ice.

Nice goal.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 08:27 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

looks like a player that a team could take a chance on but are the Oilers even a good fit here?

too many finesse players there already, though if he shines maybe someone gets moved?

still a long way to go before that happens though.

Hardyvan123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 08:43 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Yes this is a small finesse player... but let's say over the next few years the Oilers beef up their team with a few larger players like Draisaital/Chase/Moroz/Khaira/Yakimov/Slepyshev (and even some fringe prospects like Ewanyk/McCarron) etc.

Suddenly the forwards as a group aren't so small collectively.. so there is room for a few smaller forwards when they are mixed in with more beef. Right now yes... it's more of the same but if all goes as planned the Oilers aren't going to stay small and as easy to push around as they are now (hopefully).

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 11:54 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
looks like a player that a team could take a chance on but are the Oilers even a good fit here?

too many finesse players there already, though if he shines maybe someone gets moved?

still a long way to go before that happens though.
Right. We won't know until 2018 whether or not it was a good idea but there is little downside.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2014, 12:29 AM
SupremeTeam16

Get him signed and let him tear up the Q next season. Never know he could grow a couple inches fill out and quickly turn into a real option. Nice to have a few skilled players in the system who can potentially slot on when injuries hit.

SupremeTeam16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2014, 12:57 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Never hurts giving skill a look.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2014, 03:01 AM
tiger_80

No risk, if they give him contract. He's small, but he's probably a least 3-4 year project. By then the make-up of the team may be very different.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2014, 03:04 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Tkachev, Zharkov, Yakimov, Slepyshev.... one of them's gotta work out... right? RIGHT?
Well, sounds like Zharkov is pretty much a bust at this point. Yakimov is the only one who may have a real shot to make it one day, since he's already coming to the AHL.

Old
08-21-2014, 05:01 PM
robbiezyg

vCash: 1234
seems like this guy epitomizes perimeter play haha

robbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 08:28 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
This this and more this. I don't understand the move.

Is he a right winger as well?

Wow, we potentially found Omark version 2.0.

I suppose these kind of moves don't hurt but I am completely lost as to why we are even bothering. Our winger depth is ridicules, his skill set not needed, and I am not even sure why he would want to sign here since he has such a small chance of making the team in the next 5+ years.
Because he's a 4 years' project in the best case scenario. Who knows what roster looks like at the time. It never hurts to have a prospect with high upside in the pool.

Old
08-21-2014, 10:23 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

The one big positive for Tkachev is that he will continue to play in Moncton next year. Historically, Moncton plays a defense first system. Hopefull Tkatchev will learn some good habits there that will make him successful at the pro level.

Fixed to Ruin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 10:42 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
I guess some people are forgetting the size in our forward prospects coming up. No issues giving a 5'8 skilled forward a tryout. In a few years the look of our roster will be different.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote