HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PO GDT: Sharks @ Predators - 4.10.07

Old
04-12-2007, 12:51 AM
Nitrous Mafia

vCash: 500
Even though the Preds lost it was one hell of a game to witness in person.

Here's to the series being better than last years.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 12:52 AM
OrrNumber4

Oh, and Radulov was tremendous tonight. He has such confidence with the puck...few rookies would have tried the move he did on the third goal.

He has a huge back of tricks and isn't afraid of using them. He's a humble player to boot.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 12:55 AM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Good game NAS. I thought Radulov played out of his mind all night. Best player on the ice. Also thought Timonen and Webber played good offensive games. Think the Sharks took the play in periods 1&2, and the Preds took over in periods 3-4-5. The one goal by Radulov undressed McLaren. That was embarrassing. Forsberg started off slow but got his nasty on as the game went on. I kind of smiled seeing him trying to play Hannan physically. Sharks best player was Marleau but JT played a good game, as did Grier.

It was fitting the opening game went 2-OT. The teams are pretty even. I like the Sharks offense better than your defense, and like the Preds offense better than the Sharks defense. The goalies are pretty even. Should make for a pretty high-scoring series.

Too bad about the Hartnell hit on Cheech. I didn't see a clear view on the replays, but understand there was a better view on Versus. Obviously it was a knee from the side, and knees aren't meant to bend sideways. Intention? Don't know but the ref to eject him, must have had a pretty clear view.

Back at it Friday. With this one out of our systems, it will be interesting to see what adjustments are made. The Sharks second line at times looked pretty dominating. Foppa's line started to play pretty well too. Sharks tried to sit on a lead and stack play the entry pass in the 3rd period. I don't think Wilson is going to make that mistake again. NAS had an unreal number of take-aways in their offensive zone. I wonder what the adjustment will be there. I expect Pavelski will play Friday if Cheech can't go.

Good luck.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 12:56 AM
Jarnberg

Heres my late thoughts on the game as I'm just now getting around to posting. What a wild game to attend; our craziest playoff game yet at home. First overtime playoff game.

I'll go ahead and throw out that I am disappointed in the result. But at the same time, I recognize that we did fight back when it looked like all was lost. I'll give credit to our boys there. I feel much better about the series after this loss then I did going into the series. Yes at the end of the day we're still down in the series 1-0, but you have to take some positives from this game. Hopefully the team builds on those and puts on a strong performance Friday, as its almost a must win for us.

Give credit to Nabokov, he played outstanding in the overtimes to keep San Jose alive. I thought we were fantastic in the first overtime and really dominated. The second period not so much and we had a few defensive letdowns which ended up costing us. San Jose got some very opportunistic goals and really got to play their game alot.

We really shot ourselves in the foot in the second period. After we scored two goals to take the momentum and lead, we got into penalty trouble that completely killed us. All of a sudden, we were down again and had lost momentum.

I do give credit to the team for coming out in the third period and getting the job done.

Overall, it was an awesome game to see (especially live ). Both teams played some exciting playoff hockey. Yeah my team came up a bit short, but I don't think we are out of this series yet. If anything, this looks like its going to be a crazy series. Oh and, Forsberg and Radulov looked incredible tonight!

On to game two...

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 12:59 AM
Jarnberg

I also think its a shame that these two teams have to meet early on (not knocking any other teams here), but that is how it goes sometimes. I would have have loved to see this match up as a WC Finals game.

Old
04-12-2007, 01:09 AM
Roger Explosion

Really good game tonight, except that we lost.

Hopefully Hartnell won't get suspended but I guess we'll find out tomorrow. We came so close to burying a couple of chances in OT. Once again our powerplay lets us down.

Really good too see us come back from being 4-2 down, takes a lot of heart to do that and I'm positive we will win on Friday.

Roger Explosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 01:28 AM
Jarnberg

I was really disappointed with Legwand and Kariya's offensive play tonight. Kariya played okay, but not nearly as good as he was in last year's playoffs.

I thought Radulov, Forsberg and Dumont were all fantastic out there. They were playing like men on a mission, especially Forsberg. It looked like his game was on an even higher level. I hope we continue to get this play out of these guys, but with our other guys stepping up too.

Old
04-12-2007, 02:25 AM
Crazyhorse

Great game by both teams. It was a treat to watch this match. It is way to early to count out the Preds, they could easily bounce back and steal some games in the Pavillion, have faith my friends!

Radulov played with such intensity, you don't see that to often. He was by far in my book the best Predator.

Anyway, whats the status of Sullivan?

Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 02:55 AM
PeterAngelo
Man's best friend

Darn hockey, I can't sleep. This is precisely why i hate having home ice advantage, drop game 1 and immediately you are in a must win situation. I think most people would figure if the preds head to san jose down 2 its over.

wow that came across as really negative, normally i think of myself as a glass half full kinda guy. still these were my thoughts....

Last edited by PeterAngelo: 04-12-2007 at 02:56 AM. Reason: cause i had to
PeterAngelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 03:42 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by runkletm View Post
I hope Bilros is watching this game. Forsberg has been awesome tonight.
That depends what you compare with. I stand by my statement that hes not the player he once was, but noone can argue his commitment and heart. He threw more hits during the game, than the rest of the players did combined, and he fought and won pretty much every battle. How many take aways did he have? Seemed like he took the puck whenever he was close.

He has lost a huge step and accelerates about as quick as a threelegged turtle, so he almost never gets past his opponant now adays, but he plays a different game, a style that still makes him a important playoff performer.

Joe Thornton must be the most unnoticable superstar ever. Two assists and still totally invisible, just like any other game Ive seen with him.

Timonen was brutal, especially defensively. Sssssoooooo slow.

He needs to step it up..

And they need to use Forsberg more on the PP. Atleast there he can stand still

Btw, I lost 50$ on this game...

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 03:52 AM
Lee Van Cleef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilros View Post
That depends what you compare with. I stand by my statement that hes not the player he once was, but noone can argue his commitment and heart. He threw more hits during the game, than the rest of the players did combined, and he fought and won pretty much every battle. How many take aways did he have? Seemed like he took the puck whenever he was close.

He has lost a huge step and accelerates about as quick as a threelegged turtle, so he almost never gets past his opponant now adays, but he plays a different game, a style that still makes him a important playoff performer.

Joe Thornton must be the most unnoticable superstar ever. Two assists and still totally invisible, just like any other game Ive seen with him.

Timonen was brutal, especially defensively. Sssssoooooo slow.

He needs to step it up..

And they need to use Forsberg more on the PP. Atleast there he can stand still

Btw, I lost 50$ on this game...

You didn't watch the Sharks - Canucks game then, he was a force out there.

Lee Van Cleef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 06:21 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
How was Timonen? I've heard a few people say that he looked terrible. If that is true, I really think this will be his last year with the Preds. For one reason or another, he's just not been all that strong in the last quarter of the season and the playoffs historically. I don't know if he wears down or what, but the Preds are at the point where they probably won't be shelling out $4million for a guy with a bad playoff track record.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 07:01 AM
OILFAN #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
Watch the replay again. If thats a knee then im getting ******** from Jessica Biel right now. Horrible horrible call that lead too 2 PP goals.

It wasn't intentional but that was clearly a knee on knee hit. Pierre McGuire talked to Hartnell in the 2nd intermission and Hartnell himself said it was a knee but felt really bad because in no way was he trying to hurt Cheechoo and it was just a reactionary hit.

OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 07:15 AM
RaiderDoug

Anyone else left with the feeling that we outplayed the Sharks for most of the night?

I thought we had better tempo, showed more grit, finally used our speed, and finally, finally finally started to shoot the puck. Vokoun was very impressive (not relative to the Vokoun of old, but the somewhat mediocre Vokoun of 06-07).

SJ's bacon was saved by Nabby and that horrible call on Hartnell which gave them roughly half the 2nd period on the power play. Not to mention horrible officiating all night.

I never felt better after a game 1 loss. We do have to cut down on the defensive breakdowns.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 07:51 AM
RollingPredFan

Well I know we lost but I'm proud of the guys. They played hard and came up short you can't ask for much else.

I thought in the 1st period, we were outplayed. Vokoun made some excellent saves in that one. Second period we had all the momentum until the Grier goal. Then the barrage of penalties. Some warranted, others debatable. The Nichol 'diving' call.. I am so sick of having diving called on us when IT IS NOT! Then we finally came alive in the 3rd with Rads awesome goal, and we did a great job of keep the puck alive to tie it up. Then Nabakov won them the game in the 1st OT, we had chance after chance and couldn't put it home. The 2nd OT I guess we ran out of gas, and zidlicky got burned, and the rest is history.

Oh yeah and Ron Wilson is the biggest whiner I have ever heard in my life. No one intentionally tries to hit knee on knee you jackass. If you have never heard, hockey is a physical sport I am sorry that Cheechoo got hurt though and hopefully its not too serious and he can return.

Anyways, if we continue to play that way we'll make it a series, if we can stay out of the box it would be nice, if the refs allow it that is.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 08:13 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
How was Timonen? I've heard a few people say that he looked terrible. If that is true, I really think this will be his last year with the Preds. For one reason or another, he's just not been all that strong in the last quarter of the season and the playoffs historically. I don't know if he wears down or what, but the Preds are at the point where they probably won't be shelling out $4million for a guy with a bad playoff track record.
Kimmo was fair.

He seems to be a step, or two, slower than everyone on the ice- particulary when chasing the puck into our zone, or trying to clear the puck from deep in our zone.

The offensive abilities are still there (with the exception of keeping attempted clears in the offensive zone- never been good with that). The defensive positioning and smarts are still there. The speed, while never too impressive, has slowed even further.

Kimmo is a steady, and heady, defenseman. Something a team of very young blueliners really need. I certainly believe he has been very good for Weber. Can we find a similar person cheaper? Probably. Is the money saved worth losing one of the leaders of the team that knows the system in and out. Maybe, especially if that system will change anyway- or maybe not.

David

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
The thing about Joe Thornton is, he doesn't have to be "noticeable". He often has a few guys on him (not so much last night) and dishes off the puck. Whenever he's on the ice, little plays turn really dangerous. I thought he was pretty good last night honestly.

Old
04-12-2007, 09:56 AM
nashtrash25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPredFan View Post
Well I know we lost but I'm proud of the guys. They played hard and came up short you can't ask for much else.

I thought in the 1st period, we were outplayed. Vokoun made some excellent saves in that one. Second period we had all the momentum until the Grier goal. Then the barrage of penalties. Some warranted, others debatable. The Nichol 'diving' call.. I am so sick of having diving called on us when IT IS NOT! Then we finally came alive in the 3rd with Rads awesome goal, and we did a great job of keep the puck alive to tie it up. Then Nabakov won them the game in the 1st OT, we had chance after chance and couldn't put it home. The 2nd OT I guess we ran out of gas, and zidlicky got burned, and the rest is history.

Oh yeah and Ron Wilson is the biggest whiner I have ever heard in my life. No one intentionally tries to hit knee on knee you jackass. If you have never heard, hockey is a physical sport I am sorry that Cheechoo got hurt though and hopefully its not too serious and he can return.

Anyways, if we continue to play that way we'll make it a series, if we can stay out of the box it would be nice, if the refs allow it that is.
If this series stays 5-on-5, Nashville wins. We're the better team at even strength. Let's hope Legwand and Kariya show up sometime soon. If Radulov continues playing with the drive he had last night, he and Forsberg will be tough to stop. I have faith that Dumont will continue to be $$.

I had a bad feeling after failing to convert in the first overtime. You can't leave that many chances on the table and expect to win.

I, for one, could give a crap whether Cheechoo plays. If he's out for the series, it won't bother me a bit. It was a fluke play, and fluke plays happen. It's unfortunate, but that's hockey. San Jose has had remarkable luck with injuries this year. Of their key guys, Thornton played 82 games, Marleau 77, Cheechoo 76, Michalek 78, Carle 77, Grier 81, Ehrhoff 82, Hannan 79, Rissmiller 79, etc. McLaren missed 15 games, Clowe missed 14 and Bernier missed 20. That's it.

When compared with our long-term injuries this season -- Vokoun, Arnott, Sullivan, Erat, Hartnell, Nichol -- I won't feel bad at all if they have to do without a key player.

nashtrash25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 10:35 AM
DayWalk3r
YouTube Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtrash25 View Post
If this series stays 5-on-5, Nashville wins. We're the better team at even strength. Let's hope Legwand and Kariya show up sometime soon. If Radulov continues playing with the drive he had last night, he and Forsberg will be tough to stop. I have faith that Dumont will continue to be $$.

I had a bad feeling after failing to convert in the first overtime. You can't leave that many chances on the table and expect to win.

I, for one, could give a crap whether Cheechoo plays. If he's out for the series, it won't bother me a bit. It was a fluke play, and fluke plays happen. It's unfortunate, but that's hockey. San Jose has had remarkable luck with injuries this year. Of their key guys, Thornton played 82 games, Marleau 77, Cheechoo 76, Michalek 78, Carle 77, Grier 81, Ehrhoff 82, Hannan 79, Rissmiller 79, etc. McLaren missed 15 games, Clowe missed 14 and Bernier missed 20. That's it.

When compared with our long-term injuries this season -- Vokoun, Arnott, Sullivan, Erat, Hartnell, Nichol -- I won't feel bad at all if they have to do without a key player.
You forgot about Forsberg aswell, who has been out almost half of the season.

DayWalk3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 10:36 AM
DocMcKay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
..........but Zidlicky was stuck in a tough spot, and his bad positioning cost us.
I would like to re-emphasize my request for a sniper hiring to take out Zidlicky. He was miserably bad from what I saw. 2 penalties (one of which was terrible). He was also a -2. Not a factor offensively. Yet he still manages to get 26+ minutes of ice time.

I used to be a huge Zids fan. But his fall from grace just blows my mind. I don't understand how he got this bad. The weak aspects of his game are glaringly obvious now. And his strengths have withered and died. I just don't get it.

Right now Zids is our biggest liability.

Anyway, guys....it was truly a great hockey game last night. We may have lost, and I'm still pissed about that. But our guys proved that they would not lay down to the Sharks even when it seemed that nothing was going in their favor. I'll be there Friday....Go Preds!

DocMcKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMcKay View Post
I would like to re-emphasize my request for a sniper hiring to take out Zidlicky. He was miserably bad from what I saw. 2 penalties (one of which was terrible). He was also a -2. Not a factor offensively. Yet he still manages to get 26+ minutes of ice time.

I used to be a huge Zids fan. But his fall from grace just blows my mind. I don't understand how he got this bad. The weak aspects of his game are glaringly obvious now. And his strengths have withered and died. I just don't get it.

Right now Zids is our biggest liability.

Anyway, guys....it was truly a great hockey game last night. We may have lost, and I'm still pissed about that. But our guys proved that they would not lay down to the Sharks even when it seemed that nothing was going in their favor. I'll be there Friday....Go Preds!
This contract & Sullivan's could really come back to bite us in the ass before all is said and done

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 11:01 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingle View Post
Kimmo was fair.

He seems to be a step, or two, slower than everyone on the ice- particulary when chasing the puck into our zone, or trying to clear the puck from deep in our zone.

The offensive abilities are still there (with the exception of keeping attempted clears in the offensive zone- never been good with that). The defensive positioning and smarts are still there. The speed, while never too impressive, has slowed even further.

Kimmo is a steady, and heady, defenseman. Something a team of very young blueliners really need. I certainly believe he has been very good for Weber. Can we find a similar person cheaper? Probably. Is the money saved worth losing one of the leaders of the team that knows the system in and out. Maybe, especially if that system will change anyway- or maybe not.

David
You are right that his speed was never impressive but from the clips I've seen, he's gotten a fair bit slower. Last year, I speculated that maybe he had a back injury or something along those lines because he was dreadfully slow. But it appears to be just a lack of footspeed and not an injury. He's still a good skater, but that lack of straight line speed cost him a lot in the new NHL last year and I would imagine it will continue to do so against a team like the Sharks.

He's probably going to want somewhere close to 5 a year. And paying that for a #3 defenseman who is slowfooted and undersized isn't exactly a smart move in my book. I'd love to keep him on but at what price?

As for Zids, I'm to the point of dumping him. Maybe we can take on another team's 3 mil a year underacheiver. There are plenty of teams that could use his offensive abilities. But it's become more and more pointless to have a player like him on the roster when you have so many other offensively talented players (i.e. men who can run the power play) who don't have the defensive issues that he has. I'd rather have a Mark Eaton type in his place instead.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 11:02 AM
CaptainChara

Send a message via AIM to CaptainChara
Quote:
Joe Thornton must be the most unnoticable superstar ever. (
Just wait. It gets worse.

CaptainChara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 11:04 AM
CaptainChara

Send a message via AIM to CaptainChara
one other thing....

Radulov......

Poor Mclaren.

CaptainChara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 11:11 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I held my breath everytime I heard those train whistles. There was more than once that Tootoo was out while Thornton's line was out, and in our end, that's recipe for disaster.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote