HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Handzus?

Old
04-11-2007, 02:06 PM
HABSMANIA21*

vCash: 500
Handzus?

I was reading chicago sun times and they wrote about Tallon offering him a contract and him yet to sign and they said he may be not too big on re signing with the Hawks

What do you think?

HABSMANIA21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 02:08 PM
GSK*

Just make a search there was another thread about him he wanted more then 4 millions per years..

BTW I not really understand what you are trying to said.

GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Big D

I doubt that Handzus will get over 4 million $ considering his injuries and his last full season in Philly.

He would be a really good signing for us, especially if we lose Bonk. He can play PP, PK and is very big, fast and strong on the puck. Exactly the type of centre we need behind Koivu. He could finally bring some offensive pressure to our third line, something we haven't had much of in the last decade.

Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Subban Fan

Not good enough to fill a spot on our top 2 lines and too expensive for our 3rd line...I say pass...

Subban Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 03:19 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
I doubt that Handzus will get over 4 million $ considering his injuries and his last full season in Philly.

He would be a really good signing for us, especially if we lose Bonk. He can play PP, PK and is very big, fast and strong on the puck. Exactly the type of centre we need behind Koivu. He could finally bring some offensive pressure to our third line, something we haven't had much of in the last decade.
If he doesn't get $4M, it will be close to that amount simply based on numbers, skills and his intangibles. There is only a handful of guys with that size/skill combo. The big injury is a concern.

Definitly not going to be sought after to be put on a third line, unless it's on an amazing contender.

He could be a good top 6 player on the Habs, though.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 03:27 PM
tritone

Handzus = Gamble

I honestly don't see that the Habs are in a situation that necessitates any gambling.
The youngsters are filling in well and I believe there will be a fair share of UFA possibilities that provide less of a risk than Handzus.

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 03:28 PM
flappuck

Handzus = Younger Bonk

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:

Handzus is slower than cold molasses running up a hill. He was even slow by Flyers standards. Any scouting report will tell you this.

Don't want him. Slow, injury-prone, and obviously thinks he's a lot better than he is if he's asking for $4 million.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
If he doesn't get $4M, it will be close to that amount simply based on numbers, skills and his intangibles. There is only a handful of guys with that size/skill combo. The big injury is a concern.
There are only a handful of average big men who don't excel at any one thing and aren't overly physical but get hyped because of their size?

In all seriousness, I would agree that he gets close to 4 million. He's a versatile player who can play in any situation and a guy who brings size down the middle. Might not put up huge numbers, and isn't much of a scorer, but is definitely an asset to any team that has him for his size, skill and ability to play in all situations.

And is there really an injury concern? Other than this season, which was admittedly a very serious injury, he has played close to 82 games every year. We'll have to see how he recovers and knee injuries can be tricky, but if the knee is fine, I don't think calling him injury prone is quite accurate. Again though, knee injuries can be tricky, so you never know.

Quote:
Definitly not going to be sought after to be put on a third line, unless it's on an amazing contender.

He could be a good top 6 player on the Habs, though.
Agreed. He's going to a top 6 guy wherever he signs, unless it's a team like Tampa Bay, but could they even afford him?

He could be a good centerman for us if the "stars" don't align with us. Okay bad pun, but if our saviour Danny B. choose to stay with the Sabres, we're going to be looking at guys of Handzus' caliber at the center position. If we're looking at "star" forward, specifically at center, and Briere and Gomez are gone, management needs to decide if we want to tie up money in a "secondary-scorer" like Handzus or just shore up the blueline and look for something via trade.

Personally that's what I'd do. Focus on defence, make sure it's improved and look for top line contributors via FA. If guys like Handzus are what's left, I'd look for trades, or just stand pat at forward and wait for the dealine.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 04:01 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
Handzus = Younger Bonk
Exactly. Instead of paying $4 million for a player that might have an impact, why not spend $6 million on a player that will have an impact?

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komi#1 View Post
Not good enough to fill a spot on our top 2 lines and too expensive for our 3rd line...I say pass...

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

just say no to handzus... unless he's supplemetnal to something else...

given the trouble we had with #15... we should only be offering money to proven top 6 and top 4 talent... (although if you'd have told me #15 couldn't play top 6 anymore at the start of the year i wouldn't've believed you)... we're deep enough propect-wise to have the luxury of cheep 3rd and 4th liners with upside over the next few seasons... this really is an offseason we should add an impact top flight performer becasue of that prospect depth.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
There are only a handful of average big men who don't excel at any one thing and aren't overly physical but get hyped because of their size?

In all seriousness, I would agree that he gets close to 4 million. He's a versatile player who can play in any situation and a guy who brings size down the middle. Might not put up huge numbers, and isn't much of a scorer, but is definitely an asset to any team that has him for his size, skill and ability to play in all situations.

And is there really an injury concern?
My concern is that I would be uncomfortable bidding on a player based on an 8-game look. The knee is a question mark but it's more the approach to bids. I already hate the fact UFAs love to make you pay for past seasons but can live with it. But in his case, it's just an awfully small sample.

I know you were kidding but I kind of agree that he is coveted (not hyped) because of his size. But size with that amount of skills is a rarity. His two-way play was really great (haven't seen him this season, though). I could see a Handzus-Kovalev combo, with Higgins or Kost maybe. Provided I was stuck with Kovalev, of course

I think he is the kind of player who would make the Habs a LOT less solvable 5 on 5. So he makes the whole roster better because he provides options.

Old
04-11-2007, 04:28 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Seriously, no. I love collecting second-tier players and all, but I'd rather have Grabovsky on the team.

04-11-2007, 05:07 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIK HABSFAN View Post
I was reading chicago sun times and they wrote about Tallon offering him a contract and him yet to sign and they said he may be not too big on re signing with the Hawks

What do you think?
No thank you. He scored less than 15 goals in 05-06, then had a serious injury in 06-07.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Winston Wolf

As someone else stated, Handzus is quite slow. He however, is not a younger Bonk, not even close. Handzus will do whatever it takes for the team, proven by how little time he missed with the Flyers even though he was injured quite a few times. I honestly can't even remember how many times Handzus has played hurt for the Flyers, but I certainly wouldn't label him injury prone because of one bad injury, although it is a legitimate concern. His injuries are usually just nagging things from him blocking shots or taking other punishment, but he doesn't miss any time over them. This guy is a warrior through and through, definitely someone Montreal could use. How many forwards on this Habs' roster would play with one shoulder or with another excruciating injury? Certainly not Bonk or too many others. That is character right there, the type of guy who is worth his weight in gold during a long playoff run.

Handzus will play any role asked of him, whether it is a more defensive minded one, or he can be a solid second liner capable of 55-60 points with decent linemates, and is still responsible in his own end. He's not physical in the least bit, but he makes up for it with good defensive awareness.

Radek Bonk, on the other hand, had the potential to be great, but he lacks the desire and intensity. He had the desire his first year in Las Vegas, but then just got complacent. His first year in North America, he was nasty, and just absolutely ran over every thing in sight. Then by the end of the year, he had already cemented himself as a top 3 selection, he stopped trying so hard and was having a little too much fun in Vegas and he's never been the same player since.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Handzus is not bad, but if we are going to sign a center I would rather him be a tier 1 not a tier 2 type.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Seriously, no. I love collecting second-tier players and all, but I'd rather have Grabovsky on the team.
I dont think Grabovsky is going to fill the "big body center" position at all Zeus is very versatile can kill penaltys center a scoring line play a checking line spot.

Hes something to consider atleast, alot of money will be tied up in the D this offseason.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 05:36 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:

we need a center in front of koivu...not behind

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
we need a center in front of koivu...not behind
Bah, it's like sex. In front or behind, doesn't really matter as long as you are scoring

More seriously, I think all this talk of "#1 this, #2 that, #3 such" is extremely overrated at HF. Habs need to roll a minimum of two well-rounded scoring lines with some chemistry, unless they get elite talent that can eat huge minutes. Those type of guys are extremely uncommon.

Old
04-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Bah, it's like sex. In front or behind, doesn't really matter as long as you are scoring

More seriously, I think all this talk of "#1 this, #2 that, #3 such" is extremely overrated at HF. Habs need to roll a minimum of two well-rounded scoring lines with some chemistry, unless they get elite talent that can eat huge minutes. Those type of guys are extremely uncommon.
Haha....Couldn't have said it better myself Vlad.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 08:17 PM
RavenX

I like what Handzus brings but at 4 million, why not just re-sign Bonk for less. Chances are that Handzus would just be regulated to the 3rd line, there are cheaper alternatives out there.

RavenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 12:12 AM
chitownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_X View Post
I like what Handzus brings but at 4 million, why not just re-sign Bonk for less. Chances are that Handzus would just be regulated to the 3rd line, there are cheaper alternatives out there.
Handzus is playing the UFA game and if he gets the same offer from another team higher than the Hawks, he will gladly leave Chicago for greener pastures even though the pay is the same.

However, Savard wants him to center a line with Havlat on it to boost the scoring potential of the Hawks, so that could be an enticement.

So, he is going to wait until July 1 and consider the offers and if the Hawks come in with the highest, he will resign in Chicago. However, I am thinking that if he gets a comparable or slightly lower offer from another team, he will gladly depart.

chitownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 08:44 AM
J-D

Depends on the price.

Replacing Bonk is IMO 2nd on the priority list because I'm not sure Lapierre and/or Chipchura are ready to fill Bonk's shoes with consitency yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg handzus_65049.jpg‎ (20.6 KB, 3 views)

J-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIK HABSFAN View Post

What do you think?
What do you mean "What do we think"????

Handzus isn't going to improve the Montreal Canadiens so why even bother talking about him!!!!
If we do anything along the lines of signing another 3rd line center, it should be to re-sign Bonk....not to waste more money on Handzus to get the same type of player.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote