HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Coyotes Firings

View Poll Results: Do You Want Don Maloney to stay with the NYR?
Yes, I believe he's really important to us 49 87.50%
No, I believe he's not that important 1 1.79%
Don't Know, I just don't have inside info to make a call 4 7.14%
Don't Care, He's is easily replaceable 2 3.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-11-2007, 08:58 PM
BwayBshirt

vCash: 500
OT: Coyotes Firings

with phoenix firing mike barnett as gm, they'll be looking for a replacement. and it's being discussed in the main nhl board:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=368847

according to bob mckenzie, one rumored candidate is our assistant gm don maloney(of course some of us think of him as the real gm).
http://www.tsn.ca/tsn_talent/columni...sider_trading/

i might be getting ahead of myself here, but my question is simply, how many of you want maloney to go and how many want him to stay? or do you care if he stays at all?

i personally would not want him to go because i feel, regardless of how really involved he is in things, he is the main cog of the front office. to me anyway it appears as if he has had much more say in how things are going since the lockout; i don't really have any big beefs with this team. i like how things are right now and i believe if he stays with the organization longer term the future looks to be promising too. but that's just me.

what do you think?

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 09:20 PM
eco's bones

I don't know what the situation is between Maloney and Sather but Maloney seems to have a lot if not more input into the actual construction of our team. Sather almost seems to be a absentee kind of GM at times or someone more concerned with management above the personnel level. Maloney it seems to me is already doing a lot of what a GM does and can be at least looked at as the heir apparent and one that might not have to wait that much longer to be properly anointed. He should stick around. I will add also that he's had a long term connection to the team as has his brother. Why go elsewhere?

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 09:26 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

The simple fact that another franchise would want him as a gm signifies that he has value.

Beyond that hes done a lot in getting this team back to where it is now and where it is headed in the future and i would like to see him enjoy the benefits of that down the road. Will he be pushed out by Messier and Sather? He might. Its a shame though the guy has passion, serious passion for the game and the rangers.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Onion Boy

I'd imagine that Maloney would want to stick around here to see his labors over the past few years come to fruition. Alot of his draftees have yet to develop.

I'm sure we pay him more than Phoenix would anyway.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 10:33 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I definitely get the sense that Don is being groomed for the GMship. If the Rangers win the cup in the next 1-3 years, I see Sather stepping down and Don taking over the remaining reins he doesn't currently handle.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 12:10 AM
frozenrubber

Tenure

One fact overlooked by most Ranger fans is this is Don Maloney's 9th season in a prominent role with the Rangers.

While much is made of the Rangers recent success, Don had his hands on 6 consecutive, very ugly, seasons.

However, if you want to talk about job security, if he survived this, he'll survive anything w/in the Ranger organization. It all comes down to aspirations. He'll have a job w/ the Rangers as long as he shows up to work.

Maloney's current role is something that is debatable as well. While many believe that Glen Sather has all but removed his belongings from his office, I see Maloney as not much more than a very personable, friendly mouthpiece for the organization.

As a person, I have the greatest respect for him. As a hockey mind, I think he's better than average but not premiere by any stretch of the word in the NHL.

He failed as the Islanders GM, unable to shape the team with his vision. That is where I think his limitations truly are. Torrey mentored and groomed him to be GM. But when you look around the league, some of most successful GMs have a team concept/vision. Brian Burke does, Lou Lamarillo most certainly does.

From this and multiple interviews, and a few times I've had the great chance of meeting him and speaking for a few minutes, he just seems like the consummate #2. Hell, in the usually ego-driven professional ranks, the guy has no qualms of working and listening to others' point of view.

Don's passion and knowledge of the system can't be questioned. He is possibly the greatest ambassador the Rangers have.

As I see it, a 12 year old could manage to drive a car just fine 95% of the time. It's for the other 5% that you need someone with better skill. This sums up my take on Don Maloney's aptitude for being a successful General Manager.

If the Coyotes do offer him the job, I wish him the absolute best of luck and I'm sure the Rangers would not get in his way. But if Don left, I have no doubt the Rangers could find another person with consummate hockey knowledge to fill in.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 01:19 AM
in the hall

maloney is probably the only guy in our front office/coaching staff that i have the utmost confidence in. i hope he does not go

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 02:53 AM
Kashew*

Send a message via AIM to Kashew* Send a message via MSN to Kashew*
maloney goes to PHO and messier is the new NYR GM

Kashew* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 07:26 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Don Maloney isn't just the Rangers assistant GM.Kevin Allen of USA Today wrote about it in his playoff preview.He included a Behind the scenes segment for each team.For the Rangers

Quote:
Rangers assistant GM Don Maloney has a much broader power base than most assistant GMs
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...dictions_N.htm

The Phoenix job isn't a good job.Whoever takes the GM job,will still have the glare of Wayne Gretzky getting in the way.As long as Wayne has his hands in the operation,he is still the top dog in Phoenix.That is a losing organization

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 07:35 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

If you read this comment,the Coyotes want an experience GM

Quote:
"The future of this team is young, talented players," said Shumway, who took the Coyotes job after Jerry Moyes took over controlling ownership a year ago. "We need a general manager who has experience building a franchise from the inside out. The franchises that you see now that are successful start off with their own talent that they can develop in their minor leagues."
http://www.recorder.ca/cp/hockey/070411/h041167A.html

Craig Patrick?Pat Quinn?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 08:56 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
If you read this comment,the Coyotes want an experience GM

http://www.recorder.ca/cp/hockey/070411/h041167A.html

Craig Patrick?Pat Quinn?
Bobby Clarke?

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 09:20 AM
shoothepuck

Don't see Don leaving to work for Wayne.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 09:39 AM
Levitate

I think a teams entire ownership and management should get punched in the face when they start this crap while teams are still in the playoffs. No one needs a distraction.

Yeah, it's not quite the same as trying to steal a coach away in the middle of the playoff run, but still.

I'm just being unreasonable.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
He failed as the Islanders GM, unable to shape the team with his vision. That is where I think his limitations truly are. Torrey mentored and groomed him to be GM. But when you look around the league, some of most successful GMs have a team concept/vision. Brian Burke does, Lou Lamarillo most certainly does.
When people go through their routine worshipping of Maloney and bashing of Sather, I really tend to think they have no idea he was ever GM of the Isles and sucked big time. He really screwed up that organization during that time.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Fletch

Perhaps...

Maloney wasn't ready for the GM job while in Long Island...

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Maloney wasn't ready for the GM job while in Long Island...
Agreed.

One thing I like about Maloney is that he allows others to do the job they have experience in and he actually listens to their opinions. A good manager helps connect the dots and doesnt try to reinvent the wheel.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote