HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Renney vs. Hartley

Old
04-10-2007, 01:23 PM
dave4

vCash: 500
Renney vs. Hartley

Is there an advantage here for Hartley? Not sure, Renney has done a LOT of good things, but there is still the occasional puzzler like sitting Prucha last week.

How about in-game decisions? Hartley is known for being a good X's and O's guy during the game, do you think he has an advantage over Renney in that regard?

Teams seem evenly matched, maybe we have a slight edge in goal, but maybe Atlanta has an advantage behind the bench. Or maybe Renney will show his stuff.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Nich

yes

Nich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Fletch

It's funny...

I think Hartley has the experience over Renney and the Rangers have a more experienced roster (perhaps not by much) over Atlanta. Definitely makes for an interesting match-up.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I think Hartley's experience will come forward with the way he uses line changes to keep players a bit fresher. There was an article somewhere today about how he used the "last line change" rule to draw out stoppages in play while in Colorado.

Personally, I think our 3/4 lines match-up better than their 3/4 lines and that's where we can do some real damage, although I admit I'm pretty much talking out of the back of my sweater on this. Just a gut feeling.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 01:45 PM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I think Hartley has the experience over Renney and the Rangers have a more experienced roster (perhaps not by much) over Atlanta. Definitely makes for an interesting match-up.
Hartley's been known to pull the occasional Tortorella and completely lose his cool in a game. Would never happen with Tom Renney.

Edit: I have also found it funny over the years that since Hartley's from eastern Ontario and his first language is French, he has some trouble correctly pronouncing his own last name.

Old
04-10-2007, 01:59 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
Is there an advantage here for Hartley? Not sure, Renney has done a LOT of good things, but there is still the occasional puzzler like sitting Prucha last week.

How about in-game decisions? Hartley is known for being a good X's and O's guy during the game, do you think he has an advantage over Renney in that regard?

Teams seem evenly matched, maybe we have a slight edge in goal, but maybe Atlanta has an advantage behind the bench. Or maybe Renney will show his stuff.

Say what you want about sitting Prucha but look at how he came back. Maybe it was just the right time to do it.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 02:07 PM
dave4

Yeah, it's six in one, half a dozen in the other. Did Prucha score a goal because Renney lit a fire under him, or did Prucha prove Renney never should have scratched him? You can argue both sides.

Bottom line is Renney will be his record in the playoffs this year. No injuries to fall back on, nothing out of the ordinary going on, as long as Jagr doesn't take a swing at anybody we're as healthy as we've been all year.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 02:48 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
Yeah, it's six in one, half a dozen in the other. Did Prucha score a goal because Renney lit a fire under him, or did Prucha prove Renney never should have scratched him? You can argue both sides.

Bottom line is Renney will be his record in the playoffs this year. No injuries to fall back on, nothing out of the ordinary going on, as long as Jagr doesn't take a swing at anybody we're as healthy as we've been all year.
*ding* we have a winner...

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 02:52 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Renney made a comment in today's Newsday about maybe doing too much preparation last year for the playoffs, partly because of the poor way they ended the season. Preparation was a big part of what he did last year to help the team, but he also noted that having momentum going into the playoffs, like the Rangers have now, is also key.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 03:26 PM
philbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatzism View Post
Hartley's been known to pull the occasional Tortorella and completely lose his cool in a game. Would never happen with Tom Renney.

Edit: I have also found it funny over the years that since Hartley's from eastern Ontario and his first language is French, he has some trouble correctly pronouncing his own last name.
It seems Hartley loses his cool quite often. Although I like a coach in control, I also like one that shows his passion from time to time, Unfrotunately Renney does that far too infrequently.

philbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 08:26 PM
True Blue

Until Renney shows any different, advantage to Hartley.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 10:33 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

There was a game earlier in the year where Hartley pulled Hedberg for the SO, after he played a good game, in favor of the Cold Lehtonen.

tsk tsk Atlanta Loss

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 06:33 AM
Ola

Time will tell.

Though, I haven't been impressed with Hartlys work with Atlanta so far in the big picture. I defenitly wouldn't swap coaches, it seems likely that Atlanta would have made the PO's last season and been a big contender this season, while we would be gooing on our 9th straight... Allot of people rank him really high after his years in Col. Though take another look at that roster, Roy, Blake, Bourque, Foote, Forsberg and Sakic among many many others. I be damned but wouldn't Slats have a shot at winning a cup with that team??? Anyway I think Hartly is a really throughout and good "coach", but I am not impressed with how Atlanta is playing, I don't think their style is close to optimal with the new rules.

Atlanta got a pretty good roster, they weren't too shabby last season either. The fact that they might have made the PO's with a top 10 goaltender doesn't impress me at all. Last season they only outshoot the other team 45% of the time, so they can hardly only blame their goalie for not making the PO's, looking at the firepower they got thats hardly impressive...

They never really seems to dominate games. They squezzed into the PO's this season with one of the most talented lineups in the league.

I think our team game is pretty darn impressive and that for a "retooling" team Renney have gotten damn good results lately.

At the same time, it will be a close series, anything can happend. Looking at the games last night, all but one pretty much were coinflips, posts hit in OT both ways all over the board almost. There are very small marginals. Hartly got allot

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 07:52 AM
shoothepuck

Until Renney starts to scratch his head and looked puzzled, then it's advantage Hartley.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 09:03 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

as much as it kills me to say this. i think its advantage Renney. I think hes been coaching really well as of late, particularly against the Habs, and Leafs the team looked well prepared for the other teams attack. hes a good x's and o's guy, but you still scratch your head at some of his more idiotic moves.

Still though, Renney has been pretty damn good as of late.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
as much as it kills me to say this. i think its advantage Renney. I think hes been coaching really well as of late, particularly against the Habs, and Leafs the team looked well prepared for the other teams attack. hes a good x's and o's guy, but you still scratch your head at some of his more idiotic moves.

Still though, Renney has been pretty damn good as of late.
Yeah, but at the same time, a coach can make a marginal impact during a PO's.

So often "great" coaches gets a ton of cred after winning the Cup, its like they were 50% of the team, then the next season they loose in the 1st round. Since thoose teams got great rosters, if they had a coach who were that great, shouldn't he always have the same success? The best players often scores allot of pts season after season...

Tortorella loved the spotlight after Tampa won, and could talk endlessly about how his moves won the games for them. Had Torts lost it last season when Tampa looked extremely flat in the PO's? The same with Crawford, he missed the PO's with Van last season. Hartly missed them with Atlanta. Hitch got his team to the cellar of the entire league. Keenan have sucked at soo many places after he won here.

Look at the coaches who won cups the last decades, like 90% have failed after that.

I've heard so many coaches say that if you haven't got something in place for the PO's, its too late. IMO, if you look over a 3-4 year period a coach can have a huge impact. Over shorter periods of time its much more marginal...

Old
04-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Scotty Bowman. 28 playoff appearances, 9 Stanley Cups.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Fletch

For all the heat..

Keenan's taken, he went to the playoffs in 11 straight coached seasons, one Stanley Cup, three losses in the finals, twice losing in the third round, once in the second and the remaining four in the first round. Not a horrible stretch of 11 seasons with three teams.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Scotty Bowman. 28 playoff appearances, 9 Stanley Cups.
IMO Scotty is by far the best coach ever, look at how he always adjusted with the game over diffrent eras.

Though he only won with Montreal, Pitts and Detroit. Three teams with tremendous amount of talent.

Old
04-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
IMO Scotty is by far the best coach ever, look at how he always adjusted with the game over diffrent eras.

Though he only won with Montreal, Pitts and Detroit. Three teams with tremendous amount of talent.
I can't say he's the best ever when he won cups with teams that were destined to win them anyway. Come on, those teams were all loaded with all stars. When didnt Scotty win a cup? Oh yeah, when he was coach of Buffalo in the 80's.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 02:13 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Funny how well teams with tremendous talent do.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Black Tank

Hartley makes a lot of adjustments during the game, but Renney's strength lies in his pre-game planning and if Renney can stick with it and roll 4 lines, he matches up well. The Rangers run into trouble when IMO Renney panics and turns it into the Jagr Straka show.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Ola

The first two periods were exactly like I expected. ATL got no transition game worth mentioning, when they win the puck defensivly it comes back at them right away far too often.

ATL are really well coached, no doubt. They follow their gameplan really well. But I don't belive in their gameplan for a second.

Besides maybe 3-4 misstakes ATL played a really good game tonight, our 1st played extremely well but the rest of the team was so-so. Still we owned them for 2 periods. I defenitly like our game allot more then ATL and would say that its a clear 1-0 Renney so far, though its a long series and ATL are well coached. Its possible that they can turn this around, thats for sure. A series like this can change at any second. Though I love how it looked tonight. Only questionmark was Lundqvist.

Old
04-12-2007, 09:07 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Dunno about questionmarking Lundqvist

goal 1. excellent tip-in

goal 2. he gets run into by a fallen ranger and barely even gets bakc to the area of the puck before the shot goes in.

goal 3. pretty big giveaway though on top of his game coulda prolly stopped.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 09:34 PM
BwayBshirt

after game 1, i think if you're a rangers' fan you have to be pretty pleased with renney tonight.

the thrashers' best players were shut down, barely got any wiffs of scoring chances.

interestingly, they mentioned on the fsn south broadcast(which was the feed i received here in nh) that the coaching staff was aware of the fact the rozsival defers to jagr too much on the pp when they're playing the same side and he needs to shoot more. so on the pp goal he was on the opposite side away from jagr and what do you know...one timer and a goal.

and also, was it just me or when girardi misplayed the puck that lead to atlanta's 3rd goal the young man, as good as he has been, was properly benched for the duration of the 3rd period? i swear i didn't see him on the ice after that...which was the proper decision because he was already looking kind of shaky to me even before that.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote