HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most Valuable Oiler #11

View Poll Results: Who do you think is the next most valuable Oiler?
Ben Scrivens 40 45.45%
Jeff Petry 31 35.23%
Mark Fayne 13 14.77%
Andrew Ference 0 0%
Benoit Pouliot 2 2.27%
Victor Fasth 0 0%
Teddy Purcell 0 0%
Other 2 2.27%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-15-2014, 02:21 PM
SephF
[b][/b]

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Not voting. If your goalie is not a top 10 in here then you should be last in the league and we know Scrivens is better than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechking View Post
If we don't have a goalie in the top 11 we're in serious trouble. Scrivens here.
We got Scrivens for a 3rd, what would you think if we traded Petry for a 3rd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Petry has no value.

He will be on waivers and will be out of the league in three years or less.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2014, 02:44 PM
Mr Positive

vCash: 600
Save percentage isn't everything. Dubnyk has taught me that the eye test is perhaps more important than hard stats when it comes to goalies.

Scrivens looks more like what we need a goalie to be. We need an active, athletic goalie who can challenge the opposition on clear looks. We don't have the players to play a defensive system where a goalie gets screened a lot (often by his own players) where surface area is a huge asset. Scrivens' stats took a bit of a hit moving from LA to Edmonton, but we also made a decent upgrade on D for next season so I expect him to improve on his late season stats with Edmonton.

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2014, 02:50 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
Save percentage isn't everything. Dubnyk has taught me that the eye test is perhaps more important than hard stats when it comes to goalies.

Scrivens looks more like what we need a goalie to be. We need an active, athletic goalie who can challenge the opposition on clear looks. We don't have the players to play a defensive system where a goalie gets screened a lot (often by his own players) where surface area is a huge asset. Scrivens' stats took a bit of a hit moving from LA to Edmonton, but we also made a decent upgrade on D for next season so I expect him to improve on his late season stats with Edmonton.
Very good comment. Dubnyk .920 in 12-13, last year he was what?

The big issue we will have is whether or not Scrivens or Fasth for that matter can step up and be a starter. It's nothing to play 20 games with a crap team in front of you, but if our team defense doesn't improve greatly neither guy will be able to steal the #1 job. Unless of course the other one really sucks this year.

It's why I don't mind having these 2 guys. 2 guys that should at times make a case for being the starter, but at times will probably lay an egg and look like Dubnyk did.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2014, 02:58 PM
NHLTradeRumors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
Yeah but value to the team is not the criteria.

I voted Petry.
If value to the team is not a criteria, why are these threads called "most valuable players". Most fans are using value to their team/other teams as their criteria when voting.

NHLTradeRumors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2014, 03:11 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Trades View Post
If value to the team is not a criteria, why are these threads called "most valuable players". Most fans are using value to their team/other teams as their criteria when voting.
It's trade value. Trade value is value, therefore a player with high trade value would be valuable.

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote