HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-13-2014, 03:26 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by tv14 View Post
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=163405

Aside from being small, he seems to have really good numbers. Any one know if the amount of games played was due to an injury??
not an injury

it's because he was in europe

so he actually played in the KHL and MHL(russian junior) before arriving in Moncton.

If we were to sign him, would he stay in Moncton? That's my biggest question.

Old
08-13-2014, 03:29 PM
oilz89

vCash: 500
Wait... Tkachev was supposed to be drafted in the 2014 draft but he didn't get drafted?!?! Look at those numbers. I mean aside from the size he could be something. A real Wildcard. He's either another Omark or something real good

Old
08-13-2014, 03:32 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
not an injury

it's because he was in europe

so he actually played in the KHL and MHL(russian junior) before arriving in Moncton.

If we were to sign him, would he stay in Moncton? That's my biggest question.
I could be dead wrong--but I think because he played in Q he has one more year of draft eligibility. Could be wrong, I thought if he was 19 by october 1st he might be a ufa--but becuase he is 18 on the first I think he might have one draft to go. Rules changed for Europeans last year so I am not sure. Perron was drafted when he was 19 and went undrafted his first time around

Old
08-13-2014, 03:37 PM
oilz89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I could be dead wrong--but I think because he played in Q he has one more year of draft eligibility. Could be wrong, I thought if he was 19 by october 1st he might be a ufa--but becuase he is 18 on the first I think he might have one draft to go. Rules changed for Europeans last year so I am not sure. Perron was drafted when he was 19 and went undrafted his first time around
So is he on an invitation to training camp or did we sign him?

It's funny seeing now how Perron wasn't drafted his first time around isn't it? Makes you see just how precarious and enigmatic drafting can be

Old
08-13-2014, 04:00 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
There's been a lot of solid NHL players that were never drafted at all... many goalies especially.

The draft is a crapshoot when you are looking at 18 year olds... the hit to miss ratio is obviously pretty bleak once you get outside the 1st round.

Old
08-13-2014, 08:32 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
The Hurricanes invited Sergey Tolchinsky to camp last summer after going undrafted and signed him out of camp. I think there must be a certain window they can do so in.

Old
08-13-2014, 08:42 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Yes, there's a period in the Summer where you can sign someone who has been passed over that ends sometime right after training camp. After that date, they go back into the draft pile.

Old
08-13-2014, 09:01 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Penner and Setoguchi still out there as UFA's. Both would be solid additions... I'll keep banging that drum so when the Oilers go down with a string of injuries I can say... told ya so.
Penner would be good. Probaly better than Pouliout. If he has mindset hell have to play a bottom 6 role here beef a good depth guy

Old
08-14-2014, 12:12 PM
BowDangles

The difference between Penner and Pouliot is their overall effort level. Penner skates around like he wants nothing to do with hockey while Pouliot bangs and crashes and is usually first one on the puck in the corners.

Old
08-14-2014, 03:02 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
The difference between Penner and Pouliot is their overall effort level. Penner skates around like he wants nothing to do with hockey while Pouliot bangs and crashes and is usually first one on the puck in the corners.
I guess that's why one has a $4 million x 5 year contract and the other is still a UFA floating around... probably seriously considering his options to go over and play in Europe at this stage.

I know the Oilers wouldn't do it... but I'd throw a 1 year minimal contract at Penner... ~$1-1.5 million.

The guy can still play and would be excellent depth. When he wants to play he's a solid big-bodied 3rd liner... and when he is disinterested he's still a solid 4th liner.

He's not the type of player Eakins or MacT will likely bring on board... but for his cost you won't find a better depth player now.

Same goes for Setoguchi... but he's likely even a better pickup... bit younger, likely better offensively and more physical.

If both those guys can be picked up for 2-3 million combined... it's basically a risk-free move.

It might be both those players last kicks at the can in the NHL before they permanently have to look for work overseas if they want to stay in pro hockey so they "should" have incentive this year to actually get the rag out if they want to stay in the NHL.

Worst case is they are complete crap and the Oilers waive them half way through the season... cap hit is minimal either way.

Best case is they are solid bottom 6 contributors and obviously can step up the lineup when injuries hit.

Old
08-14-2014, 03:13 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

the only downside to this for us as fans would be if he isnt panning out as a legit prospect but somehow acquires nuthuggers that posts in every thread about how he never got a legit chance like omarklovers

Old
08-14-2014, 03:15 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 147
Quote:
I guess that's why one has a $4 million x 5 year contract and the other is still a UFA floating around... probably seriously considering his options to go over and play in Europe at this stage.

I know the Oilers wouldn't do it... but I'd throw a 1 year minimal contract at Penner... ~$1-1.5 million.

The guy can still play and would be excellent depth. When he wants to play he's a solid big-bodied 3rd liner... and when he is disinterested he's still a solid 4th liner.

He's not the type of player Eakins or MacT will likely bring on board... but for his cost you won't find a better depth player now.

Same goes for Setoguchi... but he's likely even a better pickup... bit younger, likely better offensively and more physical.

If both those guys can be picked up for 2-3 million combined... it's basically a risk-free move.

It might be both those players last kicks at the can in the NHL before they permanently have to look for work overseas if they want to stay in pro hockey so they "should" have incentive this year to actually get the rag out if they want to stay in the NHL.

Worst case is they are complete crap and the Oilers waive them half way through the season... cap hit is minimal either way.

Best case is they are solid bottom 6 contributors and obviously can step up the lineup when injuries hit.
I have to agree. I have to think someone has offered these guys a camp invite at the very least, but haven't agreed because they want some guaranteed money.

Old
08-14-2014, 03:17 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
the only downside to this for us as fans would be if he isnt panning out as a legit prospect but somehow acquires nuthuggers that posts in every thread about how he never got a legit chance like omarklovers
That's what the ignore function is for.

Old
08-14-2014, 03:58 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I have to agree. I have to think someone has offered these guys a camp invite at the very least, but haven't agreed because they want some guaranteed money.
I don't think they are at the point of accepting camp invites just yet... they have a whole month until camp even opens. Penner is probably holding out hoping that one of the California teams comes knocking because he seems to love it there.

I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of them have offers on the table from teams that they just don't find attractive. I'm not quite sure where they would fit in on the Edmonton roster though?

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-xxx/Arco-Yakupov
Pouliot-Draisaitl-Purcell
Hendricks-Gordon-Lander/Gazdic/Arco/Joensuu

Because of the abundance of wingers I doubt Edmonton tables an offer. If one of them were a centre than sure.

Old
08-14-2014, 06:48 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
That's what the ignore function is for.
Lol.
Those threads are great for humor though. Go back and read the "oilers will regret this" threads on omark, nilsson, schremp, pos, blah blah....brule, on and on. Now its Gagner will be a 70-80 point player elsewhere...when no other team wanted him and phoenix took him for free if steve ate most his cap.

Yup, 30 head coaches, and Gms and their support staff looked at Gagner and said...ummm nope one said...we will take him for free.

Gags really shouldnt be in this talk with the others because he can actually play in the nhl unlike the others...same with cogs. But he will never be what the potential said he could be...and the contracts that that hope paid for. Paid for by hope filled dreams and illusions. Now people look at reality and his game.

Old
08-14-2014, 09:08 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
I don't think they are at the point of accepting camp invites just yet... they have a whole month until camp even opens. Penner is probably holding out hoping that one of the California teams comes knocking because he seems to love it there.

I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of them have offers on the table from teams that they just don't find attractive. I'm not quite sure where they would fit in on the Edmonton roster though?

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-xxx/Arco-Yakupov
Pouliot-Draisaitl-Purcell
Hendricks-Gordon-Lander/Gazdic/Arco/Joensuu

Because of the abundance of wingers I doubt Edmonton tables an offer. If one of them were a centre than sure.
Well I consider Joensuu a waste of space on the roster... so he gets buried... no loss there.

Setoguchi is better than all of Hendricks/Lander/Gazdic so he makes sense as an upgrade there as well.

Obviously guys like Hendricks/Lander/Joensuu/Gazdic aren't players that you want playing in the top 9... and certainly not in the top 6 so when injuries hit... a guy like Setoguchi makes much more sense in the lineup than the current alternatives.

I can see the point with "too many wingers" and sure I'd prefer a #2C as well.. but obviously they aren't rolling around "free" to pick up... and MacT has made it clear they are willing to roll with what they have down the middle right now.

I just like the idea of depth in the lineup and Penner/Setoguchi deliver that.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Draisaitl-Yakupov
Pouliot-Arcobello-Purcell
Penner-Gordon-Setoguchi
Hendricks-Gazdic

That's a strong forward group... still weak down the middle obviously but definitely strong on the wings. Would be near elite depth on the wings which makes up somewhat for the weak C depth.

You could literally swap around lines 2/3/4 on any given night and give the opposition fits trying to line match... some good balanced depth there.

Old
08-14-2014, 09:14 PM
DeathbyCheerios

Quote:
Well I consider Joensuu a waste of space on the roster... so he gets buried... no loss there.

Setoguchi is better than all of Hendricks/Lander/Gazdic so he makes sense as an upgrade there as well.

Obviously guys like Hendricks/Lander/Joensuu/Gazdic aren't players that you want playing in the top 9... and certainly not in the top 6 so when injuries hit... a guy like Setoguchi makes much more sense in the lineup than the current alternatives.

I can see the point with "too many wingers" and sure I'd prefer a #2C as well.. but obviously they aren't rolling around "free" to pick up... and MacT has made it clear they are willing to roll with what they have down the middle right now.

I just like the idea of depth in the lineup and Penner/Setoguchi deliver that.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Draisaitl-Yakupov
Pouliot-Arcobello-Purcell
Penner-Gordon-Setoguchi
Hendricks-Gazdic

That's a strong forward group... still weak down the middle obviously but definitely strong on the wings. Would be near elite depth on the wings which makes up somewhat for the weak C depth.

You could literally swap around lines 2/3/4 on any given night and give the opposition fits trying to line match... some good balanced depth there.
There is 0 chance Penner comes here or we go after him. Setoguchi could be a great pick up. Hendricks - Gordon - Setoguchi could be a great 4th line

Old
08-14-2014, 09:32 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyCheerios View Post
There is 0 chance Penner comes here or we go after him. Setoguchi could be a great pick up. Hendricks - Gordon - Setoguchi could be a great 4th line
Yeah i think management and the coaches will prefer a Hendricks with a pulse over humbug Penner. That is coming from someone who doesnt mind Penner and thinks he has a good hockey IQ. I just think that ship sailed three years ago and Hendricks has an actual pulse.

Old
08-14-2014, 11:20 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Pouliot was about a 20 games away from being out of league before he picked up his bootstraps, got hot on a line that clicked and the rest is history. 5 teams in 5 years, we'll see what happens... I'd take Penner over Pouliot most days.

Old
08-15-2014, 02:59 AM
shogun99

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
Lol.
Those threads are great for humor though. Go back and read the "oilers will regret this" threads on omark, nilsson, schremp, pos, blah blah....brule, on and on. Now its Gagner will be a 70-80 point player elsewhere...when no other team wanted him and phoenix took him for free if steve ate most his cap.

Yup, 30 head coaches, and Gms and their support staff looked at Gagner and said...ummm nope one said...we will take him for free.

Gags really shouldnt be in this talk with the others because he can actually play in the nhl unlike the others...same with cogs. But he will never be what the potential said he could be...and the contracts that that hope paid for. Paid for by hope filled dreams and illusions. Now people look at reality and his game.
I think Gagner's ceiling is a 65 points, while being a defensive liability. I always thought he'd be good on a team like Winnipeg with big wingers like Ladd and Wheeler.
I do want to see how he performs in a structured Phoenix system though.

Old
08-15-2014, 10:06 AM
joestevens29

The thing about Penner is look at other big bodied players in this league. They are all streaky and go into slumps. In the end the guy did end up with 35 points in 67 games while playing 14:30 a night. He also found a way to stay out of the box. Teammates also liked him and his sense of humor. Might be a good guy to join the vets and younger players together.

I can't see how bringing him in would hurt.

Old
08-15-2014, 02:52 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

LOL here is HFboards when there is a trade incoming or signing:

Old
08-15-2014, 03:20 PM
KMart27

Quote:
The thing about Penner is look at other big bodied players in this league. They are all streaky and go into slumps. In the end the guy did end up with 35 points in 67 games while playing 14:30 a night. He also found a way to stay out of the box. Teammates also liked him and his sense of humor. Might be a good guy to join the vets and younger players together.

I can't see how bringing him in would hurt.
With Anaheim he had 32 points in 49 games and the majority of those points came while he was playing with Getzlaf and Perry. Despite that, Anaheim still chose to trade him to Washington where he had 3 points in 18 games. We all know he is lazy and there must be a reason why Anaheim chose to trade him. I don't see any reason for the Oilers to consider him at all.

Old
08-15-2014, 06:18 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
LOL here is HFboards when there is a trade incoming or signing:

This made me laugh a little.

Old
08-15-2014, 06:46 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Polaris GTFO my comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
I think Gagner's ceiling is a 65 points, while being a defensive liability. I always thought he'd be good on a team like Winnipeg with big wingers like Ladd and Wheeler.
I do want to see how he performs in a structured Phoenix system though.
I don't watch him hit 18 28 46 points in Arizona this season, I think he has determined that he is what he is.

Closed Thread