HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2014, 10:30 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 900
I hope Penner retires so Oiler fans will stop talking about him.

Old
08-15-2014, 11:09 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
I'm with ya.

Old
08-16-2014, 12:45 AM
oilinblood

vCash: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Well, i hate to burst your bubble but alot of hfoil dont know time is linear. Every season theres quaks that want cow eyes torres. Its as much a comedy board as a hockey talk board. Hell...why not zdeno ciger.

Seriously, i think 80% of the people that post occassionally on this board only know oiler players and have no concept of time.

Penner had a good run with the Oilers and i am amazed at what MacT got out of him. There is no doubt Renneys job was easier thanks to Penner being happy MacT was gone and trying to show him up. The guy had a good hockey IQ...something MacT always pointed out but if he had the drive....he would have been a crazy good hockey player.

Old
08-16-2014, 05:26 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
Well, i hate to burst your bubble but alot of hfoil dont know time is linear. Every season theres quaks that want cow eyes torres. Its as much a comedy board as a hockey talk board. Hell...why not zdeno ciger.

Seriously, i think 80% of the people that post occassionally on this board only know oiler players and have no concept of time.

Penner had a good run with the Oilers and i am amazed at what MacT got out of him. There is no doubt Renneys job was easier thanks to Penner being happy MacT was gone and trying to show him up. The guy had a good hockey IQ...something MacT always pointed out but if he had the drive....he would have been a crazy good hockey player.
Might want to brush up on your recent Oiler history before taking a broad swipe at 80% of the fans on the forums(hint: Renny was not the head coach the year after Mact left).

Old
08-16-2014, 10:58 AM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Might want to brush up on your recent Oiler history before taking a broad swipe at 80% of the fans on the forums(hint: Renny was not the head coach the year after Mact left).
Yes, but Penner was still an Oiler in 2010-11 when Renney was head coach. Although I guess that would be more showing up Quinn?

Old
08-16-2014, 02:46 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Penner would be an outstanding buy low candidate. Say what you will about him but he could be a good bottom 6 player for us. If he's on our 4th line then our 4th line would be instantly improved. Swap him and Gazdic when we need someone to kick some ass. That said I would not give Penner a multi year deal.

08-16-2014, 02:48 PM
Soundwave

I wouldn't mind Setoguchi or Penner, but I think it would just tempt Eakins to mismanage Yakupov even further by giving him more options to play over Yakupov on a whim rather than developing the kid.

So I'm OK with them passing. If Penner or Seto could play center obviously this would be a different story.

Old
08-16-2014, 03:32 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Penner would be an outstanding buy low candidate. Say what you will about him but he could be a good bottom 6 player for us. If he's on our 4th line then our 4th line would be instantly improved. Swap him and Gazdic when we need someone to kick some ass. That said I would not give Penner a multi year deal.

This would be ideal. Penner on the 4th providing skill. Put in Gazdic against rivals if the game is expected to have some facepunchers

Old
08-16-2014, 04:33 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
That would be fantastic. Unfortunately, I can't see MacT being interested.

Old
08-16-2014, 09:51 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
I didnt say he was head coach the year MacT left.

Old
08-16-2014, 10:00 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
Yes, but Penner was still an Oiler in 2010-11 when Renney was head coach. Although I guess that would be more showing up Quinn?

Renney was the one who made the system and renney was the one in charge of the practices in year one (a planned change of power that was supposed to take two seasons but tambo felt the change had already happened and moved the timeline forward). Quinn was in charge of the bench and approved the system. Renney took the reigns during that year and was given official title of head coach in 2010-11 where TR would be given full control.

Pacing 60 pts and 30 goals for both seasons under Renney...

Just saying.

Old
08-17-2014, 01:17 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Hell...why not zdeno ciger.
What's his Corsi? Outzone%?

Old
08-17-2014, 06:26 AM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Renney was the one who made the system and renney was the one in charge of the practices in year one (a planned change of power that was supposed to take two seasons but tambo felt the change had already happened and moved the timeline forward). Quinn was in charge of the bench and approved the system. Renney took the reigns during that year and was given official title of head coach in 2010-11 where TR would be given full control.

Pacing 60 pts and 30 goals for both seasons under Renney...

Just saying.
On a wing and a prayer. Exactly how would Penner a.) get a regular shift in the top six and b.) agree to a bottom six role and sign here. Just sayin

Old
08-17-2014, 07:24 AM
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I wouldn't mind Setoguchi or Penner, but I think it would just tempt Eakins to mismanage Yakupov even further by giving him more options to play over Yakupov on a whim rather than developing the kid.

So I'm OK with them passing. If Penner or Seto could play center obviously this would be a different story.
Penner played a bit of center here, and I thought he looked good there. He has a good defensive game and IQ and was at least average on the draw iirc. I still think he's a good option that can play up and down the lineup in any position.

To be fair, I haven't seen much of Penner lately, but I think being held accountable by the fans is a good thing for a guy like him. He had his best years, and a couple bad ones also, while here. Give him a 1 year, it's a low-risk high reward scenario in my eyes.

Old
08-17-2014, 09:29 AM
Mr Sakich

Interesting concept. In 2009/10, he took the 4 th most draws and finished at 48%. His most common linemates were all kids ( Gagner, cogliano, brule, Nilsson ) so he should be at least 50% with more experienced wingers

His coach that year - Craig mctavish

Old
08-17-2014, 09:38 AM
Dipsydoodles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
Interesting concept. In 2009/10, he took the 4 th most draws and finished at 48%. His most common linemates were all kids ( Gagner, cogliano, brule, Nilsson ) so he should be at least 50% with more experienced wingers

His coach that year - Craig mctavish
But I thought MacT's last year as coach was 08-09; wasn't 09-10 the start of the epic fail?

Old
08-17-2014, 11:23 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipsydoodles View Post
But I thought MacT's last year as coach was 08-09; wasn't 09-10 the start of the epic fail?
Just checked and you are correct. Still, he might be a good plan b for center or if we trade a winger for a center

Old
08-17-2014, 12:09 PM
gqmixmaster

vCash: 50
oilers should invite him to camp to see whats what with Penner just in case he still has that pancake recipe

Old
08-17-2014, 12:52 PM
rockinghockey

Can't believe fans still want Penner let it go there is no room in the top 9 for him

Old
08-17-2014, 01:06 PM
Zap Brannigan

injuries happen, you can't ever have enough good hockey players

Old
08-17-2014, 01:30 PM
Rebuild the Rebuild

vCash: 300
I think Malone is a better buy-low candidate for the 4th line. He wants to get back out there and prove himself, and he's in better shape than Penner. I love Penner he's a nice guy, but definitely doesn't fit the system, especially with Eakins running the show.

Old
08-17-2014, 01:48 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joensuu View Post
I think Malone is a better buy-low candidate for the 4th line. He wants to get back out there and prove himself, and he's in better shape than Penner. I love Penner he's a nice guy, but definitely doesn't fit the system, especially with Eakins running the show.
How many DUI's has Malone had? I wouldn't want him in Edmonton for that alone if I lived there. Part of his contract should state that he needs to be Taxi'd or ride shotgun

Old
08-17-2014, 02:10 PM
Rebuild the Rebuild

vCash: 300
Quote:
How many DUI's has Malone had? I wouldn't want him in Edmonton for that alone if I lived there. Part of his contract should state that he needs to be Taxi'd or ride shotgun
Can't just write someone off like that. Should the same rules apply for MacT? No. Malone could go out there and show that what he did wasn't him and try to make a positive impact on the team right away.

Old
08-17-2014, 02:35 PM
iCanada

vCash: 400
Quote:
Can't just write someone off like that. Should the same rules apply for MacT? No. Malone could go out there and show that what he did wasn't him and try to make a positive impact on the team right away.
Not really the same.

MacT did it once, and then changed himself.

Malone has been caught and charged like 20 times. lol. Only reason he isn't in jail for life is thew coin in his pocket.

Old
08-17-2014, 02:55 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
MacT's incident ended up with far worse results where a life was lost. That said every time that Malone gets in his car loaded that same outcome is a possibility. Malone is in his 30's and is still doing this stuff, the guy seems to have some serious issues and unless he deals with them I wouldn't want him driving around in my community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
Not really the same.

MacT did it once, and then changed himself.

Malone has been caught and charged like 20 times. lol. Only reason he isn't in jail for life is thew coin in his pocket.
Yeah if MacT got caught loaded behind the wheel again after that he should be locked up and have the key thrown away.

Closed Thread