HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-15-2014, 10:30 PM
  #651
Puritania
Skooma Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,043
vCash: 900
I hope Penner retires so Oiler fans will stop talking about him.

Puritania is offline  
Old
08-15-2014, 11:09 PM
  #652
Dorian2
Positional Bias.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
I hope Penner retires so Oiler fans will stop talking about him.
I'm with ya.

Dorian2 is offline  
Old
08-16-2014, 12:45 AM
  #653
oilinblood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,702
vCash: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
I hope Penner retires so Oiler fans will stop talking about him.
Well, i hate to burst your bubble but alot of hfoil dont know time is linear. Every season theres quaks that want cow eyes torres. Its as much a comedy board as a hockey talk board. Hell...why not zdeno ciger.

Seriously, i think 80% of the people that post occassionally on this board only know oiler players and have no concept of time.

Penner had a good run with the Oilers and i am amazed at what MacT got out of him. There is no doubt Renneys job was easier thanks to Penner being happy MacT was gone and trying to show him up. The guy had a good hockey IQ...something MacT always pointed out but if he had the drive....he would have been a crazy good hockey player.

oilinblood is offline  
Old
08-16-2014, 05:26 AM
  #654
Tarus
Fire Mact
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
Well, i hate to burst your bubble but alot of hfoil dont know time is linear. Every season theres quaks that want cow eyes torres. Its as much a comedy board as a hockey talk board. Hell...why not zdeno ciger.

Seriously, i think 80% of the people that post occassionally on this board only know oiler players and have no concept of time.

Penner had a good run with the Oilers and i am amazed at what MacT got out of him. There is no doubt Renneys job was easier thanks to Penner being happy MacT was gone and trying to show him up. The guy had a good hockey IQ...something MacT always pointed out but if he had the drive....he would have been a crazy good hockey player.
Might want to brush up on your recent Oiler history before taking a broad swipe at 80% of the fans on the forums(hint: Renny was not the head coach the year after Mact left).

Tarus is offline  
Old
08-16-2014, 10:58 AM
  #655
Delicious Pancakes
Registered User
 
Delicious Pancakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Penner's spare tire
Country: Canada
Posts: 764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Might want to brush up on your recent Oiler history before taking a broad swipe at 80% of the fans on the forums(hint: Renny was not the head coach the year after Mact left).
Yes, but Penner was still an Oiler in 2010-11 when Renney was head coach. Although I guess that would be more showing up Quinn?

Delicious Pancakes is offline  
Old
08-16-2014, 02:46 PM
  #656
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
The Oilers Best
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,463
vCash: 500
Penner would be an outstanding buy low candidate. Say what you will about him but he could be a good bottom 6 player for us. If he's on our 4th line then our 4th line would be instantly improved. Swap him and Gazdic when we need someone to kick some ass. That said I would not give Penner a multi year deal.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
08-16-2014, 02:48 PM
  #657
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 25,368
vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind Setoguchi or Penner, but I think it would just tempt Eakins to mismanage Yakupov even further by giving him more options to play over Yakupov on a whim rather than developing the kid.

So I'm OK with them passing. If Penner or Seto could play center obviously this would be a different story.

Soundwave is offline  
Old
08-16-2014, 03:32 PM
  #658
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Penner would be an outstanding buy low candidate. Say what you will about him but he could be a good bottom 6 player for us. If he's on our 4th line then our 4th line would be instantly improved. Swap him and Gazdic when we need someone to kick some ass. That said I would not give Penner a multi year deal.

This would be ideal. Penner on the 4th providing skill. Put in Gazdic against rivals if the game is expected to have some facepunchers

topchowda is offline  
Old
08-16-2014, 04:33 PM
  #659
s7ark
Moderator
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Penner would be an outstanding buy low candidate. Say what you will about him but he could be a good bottom 6 player for us. If he's on our 4th line then our 4th line would be instantly improved. Swap him and Gazdic when we need someone to kick some ass. That said I would not give Penner a multi year deal.
That would be fantastic. Unfortunately, I can't see MacT being interested.

s7ark is offline  
Old
08-16-2014, 09:51 PM
  #660
oilinblood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,702
vCash: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Might want to brush up on your recent Oiler history before taking a broad swipe at 80% of the fans on the forums(hint: Renny was not the head coach the year after Mact left).
I didnt say he was head coach the year MacT left.

oilinblood is offline  
Old
08-16-2014, 10:00 PM
  #661
oilinblood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,702
vCash: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
Yes, but Penner was still an Oiler in 2010-11 when Renney was head coach. Although I guess that would be more showing up Quinn?

Renney was the one who made the system and renney was the one in charge of the practices in year one (a planned change of power that was supposed to take two seasons but tambo felt the change had already happened and moved the timeline forward). Quinn was in charge of the bench and approved the system. Renney took the reigns during that year and was given official title of head coach in 2010-11 where TR would be given full control.

Pacing 60 pts and 30 goals for both seasons under Renney...

Just saying.

oilinblood is offline  
Old
08-17-2014, 01:17 AM
  #662
oilers_guy_eddie
Registered User
 
oilers_guy_eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Intolerable climate
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 10,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
Hell...why not zdeno ciger.
What's his Corsi? Outzone%?

oilers_guy_eddie is offline  
Old
08-17-2014, 06:26 AM
  #663
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,066
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
Renney was the one who made the system and renney was the one in charge of the practices in year one (a planned change of power that was supposed to take two seasons but tambo felt the change had already happened and moved the timeline forward). Quinn was in charge of the bench and approved the system. Renney took the reigns during that year and was given official title of head coach in 2010-11 where TR would be given full control.

Pacing 60 pts and 30 goals for both seasons under Renney...

Just saying.
On a wing and a prayer. Exactly how would Penner a.) get a regular shift in the top six and b.) agree to a bottom six role and sign here. Just sayin

Tedi is offline  
Old
08-17-2014, 07:24 AM
  #664
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil
 
PeakOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I wouldn't mind Setoguchi or Penner, but I think it would just tempt Eakins to mismanage Yakupov even further by giving him more options to play over Yakupov on a whim rather than developing the kid.

So I'm OK with them passing. If Penner or Seto could play center obviously this would be a different story.
Penner played a bit of center here, and I thought he looked good there. He has a good defensive game and IQ and was at least average on the draw iirc. I still think he's a good option that can play up and down the lineup in any position.

To be fair, I haven't seen much of Penner lately, but I think being held accountable by the fans is a good thing for a guy like him. He had his best years, and a couple bad ones also, while here. Give him a 1 year, it's a low-risk high reward scenario in my eyes.

PeakOil is offline  
Old
08-17-2014, 09:29 AM
  #665
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,098
vCash: 500
Interesting concept. In 2009/10, he took the 4 th most draws and finished at 48%. His most common linemates were all kids ( Gagner, cogliano, brule, Nilsson ) so he should be at least 50% with more experienced wingers

His coach that year - Craig mctavish

Mr Sakich is offline  
Old
08-17-2014, 09:38 AM
  #666
Dipsydoodles
Registered User
 
Dipsydoodles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
Interesting concept. In 2009/10, he took the 4 th most draws and finished at 48%. His most common linemates were all kids ( Gagner, cogliano, brule, Nilsson ) so he should be at least 50% with more experienced wingers

His coach that year - Craig mctavish
But I thought MacT's last year as coach was 08-09; wasn't 09-10 the start of the epic fail?

Dipsydoodles is offline  
Old
08-17-2014, 11:23 AM
  #667
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipsydoodles View Post
But I thought MacT's last year as coach was 08-09; wasn't 09-10 the start of the epic fail?
Just checked and you are correct. Still, he might be a good plan b for center or if we trade a winger for a center

Mr Sakich is offline  
Old
08-17-2014, 12:09 PM
  #668
gqmixmaster
Registered User
 
gqmixmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,574
vCash: 50
oilers should invite him to camp to see whats what with Penner just in case he still has that pancake recipe

gqmixmaster is offline  
Old
08-17-2014, 12:52 PM
  #669
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,548
vCash: 500
Can't believe fans still want Penner let it go there is no room in the top 9 for him

rockinghockey is offline  
Old
08-17-2014, 01:06 PM
  #670
Zap Brannigan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 883
vCash: 500
injuries happen, you can't ever have enough good hockey players

Zap Brannigan is offline  
Old
08-17-2014, 01:30 PM
  #671
Rebuild the Rebuild
Registered User
 
Rebuild the Rebuild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 677
vCash: 300
I think Malone is a better buy-low candidate for the 4th line. He wants to get back out there and prove himself, and he's in better shape than Penner. I love Penner he's a nice guy, but definitely doesn't fit the system, especially with Eakins running the show.

Rebuild the Rebuild is offline  
Old
08-17-2014, 01:48 PM
  #672
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
The Oilers Best
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joensuu View Post
I think Malone is a better buy-low candidate for the 4th line. He wants to get back out there and prove himself, and he's in better shape than Penner. I love Penner he's a nice guy, but definitely doesn't fit the system, especially with Eakins running the show.
How many DUI's has Malone had? I wouldn't want him in Edmonton for that alone if I lived there. Part of his contract should state that he needs to be Taxi'd or ride shotgun

Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
08-17-2014, 02:10 PM
  #673
Rebuild the Rebuild
Registered User
 
Rebuild the Rebuild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 677
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
How many DUI's has Malone had? I wouldn't want him in Edmonton for that alone if I lived there. Part of his contract should state that he needs to be Taxi'd or ride shotgun
Can't just write someone off like that. Should the same rules apply for MacT? No. Malone could go out there and show that what he did wasn't him and try to make a positive impact on the team right away.

Rebuild the Rebuild is offline  
Old
08-17-2014, 02:35 PM
  #674
iCanada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,202
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joensuu View Post
Can't just write someone off like that. Should the same rules apply for MacT? No. Malone could go out there and show that what he did wasn't him and try to make a positive impact on the team right away.
Not really the same.

MacT did it once, and then changed himself.

Malone has been caught and charged like 20 times. lol. Only reason he isn't in jail for life is thew coin in his pocket.

iCanada is offline  
Old
08-17-2014, 02:55 PM
  #675
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
The Oilers Best
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joensuu View Post
Can't just write someone off like that. Should the same rules apply for MacT? No. Malone could go out there and show that what he did wasn't him and try to make a positive impact on the team right away.
MacT's incident ended up with far worse results where a life was lost. That said every time that Malone gets in his car loaded that same outcome is a possibility. Malone is in his 30's and is still doing this stuff, the guy seems to have some serious issues and unless he deals with them I wouldn't want him driving around in my community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
Not really the same.

MacT did it once, and then changed himself.

Malone has been caught and charged like 20 times. lol. Only reason he isn't in jail for life is thew coin in his pocket.
Yeah if MacT got caught loaded behind the wheel again after that he should be locked up and have the key thrown away.

Bryanbryoil is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.