HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Edmonton Eskimos 2014 CFL season is here! Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
08-16-2014, 07:21 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 901
Yet another CFL thriller going on right now with the Riders and Allouettes tied at 4 at half time. Ugliest season ever.

Old
08-16-2014, 07:33 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Yet another CFL thriller going on right now with the Riders and Allouettes tied at 4 at half time. Ugliest season ever.
I have to agree. for overall quality, this is the worst season of CFL football I remember ever seeing.

speaking of ugly, the rider uniforms tonight have to be amongst the ugliest football uniforms ever.

Old
08-16-2014, 07:37 PM
MoneyGuy

vCash: 500
I like the Riders' uniforms. I hate to admit it because I hate the team.

Old
08-16-2014, 07:50 PM
Ser Woof
I Eat Puppies

Obvious PI. Here come the bushleague CFL refs afraid to overturn a call.

Old
08-16-2014, 07:51 PM
Gord
Tesla

sorry.
I think these are really ugly. especially the helmet design
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dariandurantwillford_4779-430x298.jpg‎ (35.8 KB, 20 views)

Old
08-16-2014, 08:00 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
The first thing I thought when I saw them was ugly, then I wasn't sure, they're just really different. One thing for sure though is that the game is ugly. Maybe even worse than last nights game.

Old
08-16-2014, 08:29 PM
iCanada

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Really?

Riders fan here, I think they are atrocious.

-.-

EDIT: Its official, the Riders have worse special teams than the Eskimos. Field goal from the 30 yard line missed, and then the return goes 100 yards. Unreal.

Last edited by iCanada: 08-16-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old
08-16-2014, 09:06 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
Really?

Riders fan here, I think they are atrocious.

-.-

EDIT: Its official, the Riders have worse special teams than the Eskimos. Field goal from the 30 yard line missed, and then the return goes 100 yards. Unreal.
Liked them at first but have changed my mind through the game. They're not ugly but not very well done.

Old
08-16-2014, 09:11 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Tom Higgins is the most useless coach. Ugh, now I remember why he wasn't liked despite winning two GCs in Edmonton.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
08-16-2014, 10:38 PM
Ser Woof
I Eat Puppies

For as bad as the Esks have been the past three weeks, Saskatchewan has looked equally as bad. If not for early Montreal and Ottawa implosions a couple weeks back, those games probably are a lot closer too.

The only team that is unequivocally head and shoulders above the rest at this point is Calgary, and even they've been less than impressive.

Calgary

Saskatchewan
Edmonton/BC

Winnipeg/Toronto

Hamilton

Montreal/Ottawa

Is how I'd tier the landscape of the CFL right now. But overall, very low quality football top to bottom. Esks need to get healthy.

Old
08-16-2014, 11:08 PM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ser Woof View Post

But overall, very low quality football top to bottom. Esks need to get healthy.
healthy, more disciplined and smarter coaching. I'm not liking some of the gambles jones is doing. doesn't seem to be smart football.
and the esks are still taking way too many dumb penalties.

Old
08-16-2014, 11:20 PM
Oil In My Veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
healthy, more disciplined and smarter coaching. I'm not liking some of the gambles jones is doing. doesn't seem to be smart football.
and the esks are still taking way too many dumb penalties.
IMO the penalties alone have been their biggest issue, even with the injuries and risks that Jones has been taking. I think if they can cut down on the stupid penalties some of these games wouldn't even be close.

Old
08-17-2014, 10:11 AM
iCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
IMO the penalties alone have been their biggest issue, even with the injuries and risks that Jones has been taking. I think if they can cut down on the stupid penalties some of these games wouldn't even be close.
I think taking those risks is a good thing.

Makes him unpredictable going forward. Hes lost a lot of them, but at the same time the fact that these fakes have happened rather frequently means the other team has to have a contingency plan for them on any given play.

Thats a good thing. That gives Jones a tactical advantage. Safe fundamental football is great, but the threat of cheesy plays makes playing fundamental football a lot easier.

Not to mention, I guarantee that the guys in the room love those plays.

The example I'll give is the Calgary game we lost. In the moment it looked like we got outcoached, but I dont think we'll see a team pull the same greedy 11 man blitz when we punt for the rest of the year because of that punt fake Jones pulled the next time the Esks kicked the ball. Sure it failed, and the Esks turned the ball over in a a terrible spot, but now they can play fundamental football in the future because teams know that that Fake is in the playbook. They know if they have to play fundamental defence or they will get burned.

Last edited by iCanada: 08-17-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old
08-17-2014, 12:33 PM
MoneyGuy

I agree with iCanada. If that fake punt against Calgary had gone another yard it would have been a brilliant move. I still don't agree with that one because of the risk-reward, but now others teams must always consider that a trick play may be coming. It keeps them off guard.

Old
08-17-2014, 12:44 PM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:

Makes him unpredictable going forward. Hes lost a lot of them, but at the same time the fact that these fakes have happened rather frequently means the other team has to have a contingency plan for them on any given play.

Thats a good thing. That gives Jones a tactical advantage. Safe fundamental football is great, but the threat of cheesy plays makes playing fundamental football a lot easier.

The example I'll give is the Calgary game we lost. In the moment it looked like we got outcoached, but I dont think we'll see a team pull the same greedy 11 man blitz when we punt for the rest of the year because of that punt fake Jones pulled the next time the Esks kicked the ball. Sure it failed, and the Esks turned the ball over in a a terrible spot, but now they can play fundamental football in the future because teams know that that Fake is in the playbook. They know if they have to play fundamental defence or they will get burned.
I've stated exactly this before. Any stunt plays, fakes, make the opponents have to cover and practice and prepare for those plays. Taking time and focus away from the other things you do.

Also, I've mentioned that according to Jones and Grymes that Grymes had the option to go on that play if he saw green. It was Grymes interpretation it was green, that the opening was there. People forget for some reason that Grymes could still have conceded the safety while in the endzone and was given instruction to do just that if the opening wasn't there.

If one actually knows the background and thought that went into the play one can have a different opinion of it.

In reality this was a hot play with player options. It wasn't a fake that required the player to find the first down marker. Going down in endzone was always an option on read.

Old
08-17-2014, 12:52 PM
Replacement
Checked out

A comment on the penalties. Several of them have occurred due to injuries and with players inserted into the lineup taking many of the penalties. Indeed for instance the one that negated the interception TD return.
Other penalties have been aggressive. But lets not forget that Ottawa initiated stupid aggressive play early in this game and going after late hits multiple times setting the sequence for rest of game.
The Esks are a physical team with a lot of players not content to let that stuff go. This could be a problem, yes, but you have to be careful always as a coach how you deal with that intensity. Reeds approach was to blow a gasket, single out players, (even his best players) and indirectly mute that aggression. Which resulted in some very physical players playing tentative ball. For instance Howard most of his time wasn't recognizable playing under Reed.

I'm upset with the penalties but theres 3 things. Inexperience, aggression, and sometimes trying too hard to maintain a play.

They'll sort it out. Not show many know this but the Esks have hired a former official (that lives in Edmonton) to go over practices and scrimmages and call penalties as if it was game play. They do this at home. They haven't been at home for quite a while.

Old
08-17-2014, 01:18 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:

There is taking risks and then there is just doing something stupid. That play at the end of the first half against Calgary was stupid. It cost them the game. Nothing wrong with running trick plays but do them at times where it's least likely to hurt you if they fail and do them when it's possible to get some kind of reward for them. That wasn't one of those times. I don't see how blaming the player or the execution takes Jones off the hook for the bad decision either. It was still a bad decision at the wrong time of a game and he shouldn't have been putting it into the hands of a player in the first place. It was what it was, a gamble that failed miserably. To try justifying it now or pretending it was something else doesn't make any more sense to me than running it in the first place.

Old
08-17-2014, 01:32 PM
iCanada

Quote:
There is taking risks and then there is just doing something stupid. That play at the end of the first half against Calgary was stupid. It cost them the game. Nothing wrong with running trick plays but do them at times where it's least likely to hurt you if they fail and do them when it's possible to get some kind of reward for them. That wasn't one of those times. I don't see how blaming the player or the execution takes Jones off the hook for the bad decision either. It was still a bad decision at the wrong time of a game and he shouldn't have been putting it into the hands of a player in the first place. It was what it was, a gamble that failed miserably. To try justifying it now or pretending it was something else doesn't make any more sense to me than running it in the first place.
Actually, they lost because their punt returner can't hold on to the ball and they missed four field goalsd they should have had...

But sure blame it on that one coaching choice.

Old
08-17-2014, 01:50 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Actually, they lost because their punt returner can't hold on to the ball and they missed four field goalsd they should have had...

But sure blame it on that one coaching choice.
It was a tight game where every scored mattered. The fact they were constantly turning the ball over and failing to score on drives is yet another reason not to do something so stupid. Dress it up anyway you want to but it doesn't change what happened.

The good news is that they are 6-1 in a league where nobody looks good. I'm not saying Jones is a terrible coach. I'm an Oilers fan, I know what those look like. He made a really bad decision that cost his team one game. I'm ready to get over it. It just bugs me to see people continuously trying to defend it like it either wasn't his fault or that it was a good thing. It certainly wasn't a good thing and it definitely WAS his fault.

Old
08-17-2014, 01:56 PM
iCanada

Quote:
It was a tight game where every scored mattered. The fact they were constantly turning the ball over and failing to score on drives is yet another reason not to do something so stupid. Dress it up anyway you want to but it doesn't change what happened.

The good news is that they are 6-1 in a league where nobody looks good. I'm not saying Jones is a terrible coach. I'm an Oilers fan, I know what those look like. He made a really bad decision that cost his team one game. I'm ready to get over it. It just bugs me to see people continuously trying to defend it like it either wasn't his fault or that it was a good thing. It certainly wasn't a good thing and it definitely WAS his fault.
But that's the thing, there are 100 other things you could point to in that game that you can say "lost them" the game, but that one decision has a positive attached to it: Teams wont **** around when the esks are punting no more, because if you pull the 11 man blitz the punter stunt you will give up a solid 80 yards.

I dont think you should single out the thing with positive ramifications for the rest of the season as what lost them the game, even if it did. I'd sooner look and say "Well, we need to just hang on to the damn football...."

But thats just me.

Old
08-17-2014, 02:13 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
But that's the thing, there are 100 other things you could point to in that game that you can say "lost them" the game, but that one decision has a positive attached to it: Teams wont **** around when the esks are punting no more, because if you pull the 11 man blitz the punter stunt you will give up a solid 80 yards.

I dont think you should single out the thing with positive ramifications for the rest of the season as what lost them the game, even if it did. I'd sooner look and say "Well, we need to just hang on to the damn football...."

But thats just me.
I just think there was a better time to send that message than when you are 3rd and 10 on your own 5 yard line with less than a minute to go in the half of a tied game. Considering how it worked out I suspect that I'm right. I still would have been extremely annoyed with the decision even if Grymes had gone one extra yard and gotten the first down because I couldn't have justified the risk in the event that he hadn't.

I guess we'll find out starting next week how much fear Jones has put into hearts of the Stampeders punt rush. My guess is that it isn't as much as you think. I suspect they'll relish the thought of going against a group that is intimidated into making huge mistakes.

Last edited by rboomercat90: 08-17-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old
08-17-2014, 02:38 PM
iCanada

I get it, you'd rather have some scripted Madden-Style play calling.

Old
08-17-2014, 03:07 PM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
I get it, you'd rather have some scripted Madden-Style play calling.
This kind of reply isn't required. I can see both sides of the argument, have argued your side, but the opposite view is reasonable as well.

To wit in the Ottawa game Jones shouldn't gamble, he should take the pts for the lead late in the game as pretty much any pro coach would. Its standard kick to win stuff. you take the easy FG there for the win.

Used to be a conventional wisdom to take the pts and not overthink it and cost the team easy pts on the board. I like Jones but he's culpable of some poor decisions.

Any viewer watching is noting that in the Ottawa game its a low scoring game and with the esks D dominating so take the damn pts for the win. That play alone almost cost us the result and from his own 5yd line last minute heroics were required of Reilly to save Jones from that brutal decision late in an 8-7 game.

you could imagine the furor here if that call by Jones cost the club the 2 easy pts.

Last edited by Replacement: 08-17-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old
08-17-2014, 04:09 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This kind of reply isn't required. I can see both sides of the argument, have argued your side, but the opposite view is reasonable as well.

To wit in the Ottawa game Jones shouldn't gamble, he should take the pts for the lead late in the game as pretty much any pro coach would. Its standard kick to win stuff. you take the easy FG there for the win.

Used to be a conventional wisdom to take the pts and not overthink it and cost the team easy pts on the board. I like Jones but he's culpable of some poor decisions.

Any viewer watching is noting that in the Ottawa game its a low scoring game and with the esks D dominating so take the damn pts for the win. That play alone almost cost us the result and from his own 5yd line last minute heroics were required of Reilly to save Jones from that brutal decision late in an 8-7 game.

you could imagine the furor here if that call by Jones cost the club the 2 easy pts.
These kind of in game calls are very questionable. He lucked out and got away with it in the Ottawa game even after his decision failed him again but he didn't against Calgary. There have been more in other games too. If this was Kavis Reed he'd be getting roasted and rightfully so. He's been luckier than Kavis that's for sure. It also helps him that every team in this league is awful right now. If this was any other year where he was playing against a team that could take advantage of these mistakes the team would have a very different record. Who knows, this might play a part in why he's gambling so much. I just hope he starts coaching a little smarter as the games start meaning more.

Old
08-17-2014, 07:43 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Hey, Toronto actually has a chance of beating BC tonight by the looks of it!

Hallelujah!

Closed Thread