HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your opinion of the Oilers off season so far?

Old
08-17-2014, 12:06 AM
Joey Moss

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Not a fan he didnt get a 2c and seems to be relying on LD. However I am in the crowd that thinks the better of Lander/Arcobello will be able to handle the job.

I really wanted Fayne and Pouliot in FA. Fayne, man this might be one of the best deals weve signed in a long time. He is in the prime age, signed to a discount contract, and signed one with a team that routinely has to overpay FAs due to the team situation and city. Pouliot was an overpayment, but I look at it is if you take off a million from his deal and add it to Faynes, wed be more than happy

Nikitin was an overpayment, but one I can live with. We need NHL bodies, not cap space.

We didnt get a top pairing D, but I knew we werent getting one as they are rarely dealt away. Nurse/Marincin/Klefbom will need to fill that role in the future

Draft: Pretty meh. It was a pretty bad year in terms of depth, so no suprise some teams took more overagers. LD and Laggesson are good though

The biggest thing I am happy for is that he has taken a step forward in using analytics that included the Dellow hirer.

Eakins also seems way more open about coaching ideas, which is great to see. Ramsey was a GREAT hire, he should help the team alot

In terms of the players training. Yakupov seems completely motivated to have a big year. He had the right mindset and was saying all the right things. He came to NA early to train, which signals his work ethic is pretty good. LD and Yakimov both stayed in NA to train, so cant say enough about their character

Nuge has been able to have his first full offseason, and I am guessing he has a Johansen type break out year offensively.
And look what that did for Columbus..

All it takes is a breakout season(s) from RNH, Yakupov or Schultz and we are a totally different team than what we look like on paper. That, and Scrivens/Fasth need to be as good as last season.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2014, 12:29 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
And look what that did for Columbus..

All it takes is a breakout season(s) from RNH, Yakupov or Schultz and we are a totally different team than what we look like on paper. That, and Scrivens/Fasth need to be as good as last season.
Yup, couldnt agree more. One of the biggest issues with this team is that they can never be on fire at the same time (and constantly). Yakupov would be hot (around Jan) for some games, and then Eberle would go cold. Similar with RNH and Schultz and even Perron.

This was an issue because he didnt have any depth and relied on 2 lines to carry us. I hope that they are experienced enough to play at a consistent level, and hopefully 3 of them have career best years (or really good seasons). Maybe if the depth scoring helps us out we have a shot at the playoffs. Lotta ifs tho

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2014, 01:25 AM
oilinblood

vCash: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
No, I didn't want to retain the asset. We should have traded him for a dman last summer. Didn't have to be a great dman even a guy like Del Zotto or Franson. Basically anyone better then Belov, Grebeshkov, Potter, etc... Instead they overpay the guy to the point that he has a negative value and trade him this summer. We would have been better off overpaying one of Grabovski, Cullen, Antropov, Bozak to come play here and dumping Gagner for a bottom pairing nhl dman.
They still have to want to play here. History has shown we can throw nearly ELEVEN figures at someone and longterm security and they will reject it with a thanks for coming.
Its not just paying someone much MUCH more...its literally that players would gladly pay to not play here...burn money...millions upon millions to never live here.

But i undertsand your thoughts. You can pitch to those guys aand offer them max contracts...half would probably still say no at MAX CAP HIT.

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2014, 01:47 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
They still have to want to play here. History has shown we can throw nearly ELEVEN figures at someone and longterm security and they will reject it with a thanks for coming.
Its not just paying someone much MUCH more...its literally that players would gladly pay to not play here...burn money...millions upon millions to never live here.

But i undertsand your thoughts. You can pitch to those guys aand offer them max contracts...half would probably still say no at MAX CAP HIT.
What history has shown that? And you dont think we could have got Cullen if we offered him 4.8M? If your talking about the big time guys like Hossa and Chara sure they have a ton of choices and don't need to worry about money. A guy like Cullen will most likely be out of the league in the next two years and should be looking for every dollar he can get.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2014, 01:56 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
What history has shown that? And you dont think we could have got Cullen if we offered him 4.8M? If your talking about the big time guys like Hossa and Chara sure they have a ton of choices and don't need to worry about money. A guy like Cullen will most likely be out of the league in the next two years and should be looking for every dollar he can get.
Oh belanger types. Ok. Didnt notice past prime downward spiral cullen

Old
08-17-2014, 02:11 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
Oh belanger types. Ok. Didnt notice past prime downward spiral cullen
The same Matt Cullen who had more points then Gagner last season, is defensively responsible, and has the ability to skate?

The fact remains this team would have been better if it had signed Cullen and traded Gagner for a Gunnarsson type dman last year. This year they could have traded a 6th for Purcell and had Tampa retain 1/3rd of his salary. Our team would have looked something like this going into the season:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Cullen-Yakupov
Pouliot-Arcobello-Purcell
Gazdic-Gordon-Hendricks

Nikitin-Petry
Gunnarsson-Schultz
Ference-Fayne
Aulie

Instead we have an absolutely horrible roster as per usual for the Oilers.

Old
08-17-2014, 02:15 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
This offseason? Poor effort

The forwards are bigger, but not necessarily improved despite the gross overpay in the pursuit of improving the size of the team. The Pouliot contract marks a standout moment of poor spending as he is a Clarkson type mess in the making, showing Mact apparently learned nothing from the 2013 UFA frenzy to apply in 2014. As you already noted, they are again making the mistake of throwing rookies into the deep end by running with gaping holes in critical team roles, which will cause problems both this season and the coming seasons. Potential facepalm moment - Arcobello gets buried by Eakins for the season again; Oilers try to run with RNH, Drasalti, Gordon, Lander for the year.

The defense is a little better, but the best you can really say about the bottom pairing defensemen they brought in, they are no where near as bad as the trash they brought in last year. Not hope past this year either, as the guys they are bringing in have no long term potential, and as noted they'll will lose Petry in just a few months which will set back the organization even more. Developing prospects will have no room for regression or less than speedy development, or the entire defensive core will collapse the rebuild before it even has a chance to gain any traction. Potential facepalm moment - Nurse makes the team.

Goaltending may hold up, or they may turn out to be the inconsistent backup goaltenders they were outside of Edmonton. Nothing to really evaluate offseason wise.

Coaching may be improved, but it's unlikely as long as Eakins is still running things. It would be nice to believe that Ramsey will take over at some point, but it's not probable considering the egos that are involved with making a go of Eakins as the head guy. Daily facepalm moment - every Eakins media availability.
Why do people assume Petry will be gone? They will give him 5M for 5 years if they think he's worth it before he becomes UFA. Right now, they clearly feel giving him this kind of money is a big gamble.

If not, then well, they will move him for a 2nd rounder at the deadline. Marincin, Klefbom, Nurse are not that far away and they could go after another top 4 d-man in free agency in the summer.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2014, 11:57 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
The same Matt Cullen who had more points then Gagner last season, is defensively responsible, and has the ability to skate?

The fact remains this team would have been better if it had signed Cullen and traded Gagner for a Gunnarsson type dman last year. This year they could have traded a 6th for Purcell and had Tampa retain 1/3rd of his salary. Our team would have looked something like this going into the season:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Cullen-Yakupov
Gazdic-Gordon-Hendricks

Nikitin-Petry
Gunnarsson-Schultz
Ference-Fayne
Aulie

The Matt Cullen who is 37 years old, who hasn't played a full NHL season since 2000-2001, and hasn't hit 50 points ONCE in his career, is the guy you want at #2 center.

Yeah, right.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2014, 11:59 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Cullen-Yakupov
Gazdic-Gordon-Hendricks

Nikitin-Petry
Gunnarsson-Schultz
Ference-Fayne
Aulie

Here we go: NHL 14 type transactions because MacT simply didn't do what a forum poster thought he should do. This is just filled with "what ifs" and has absolutely no proof.

Also, LOVE Tarus "Poor effort" as usual. Great post man. Keep up the great work.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2014, 01:59 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Here we go: NHL 14 type transactions because MacT simply didn't do what a forum poster thought he should do. This is just filled with "what ifs" and has absolutely no proof.

Also, LOVE Tarus "Poor effort" as usual. Great post man. Keep up the great work.
I wasn't aware hfboards hired post reviewers that have no board function other than to critique others posts and not offer any content in reply.

I think most readers can detect that your chronic *input* on a discussion board is more questionable than any of that which you reply to.

The focal point should be discussion on a discussion board. The focal point of 90% of a posters posts shouldn't be critiquing other posters with no real input into the discussion.

Have you even stated your answer to the topic in the thread yet?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2014, 02:08 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Why do people assume Petry will be gone? They will give him 5M for 5 years if they think he's worth it before he becomes UFA. Right now, they clearly feel giving him this kind of money is a big gamble.

If not, then well, they will move him for a 2nd rounder at the deadline. Marincin, Klefbom, Nurse are not that far away and they could go after another top 4 d-man in free agency in the summer.
If I'm Petry I've paid attention to how the org treats players, and specifically D, that are their go to players. For instance past D like Gilbert and Smid given big minutes and then suddenly deemed expendable. Ironically the Oil even did that with Gilberts replacement.

If I'm Petry I'm noting as well other defenders getting better contracts, and negotiating for better contracts than the Oil were prepared to give Petry. This despite Petry being one of the Oilers better, and most exposed defenders that the team likes giving difficult minutes to. Again a pattern. A club force feeds D into toughest assignments on a chronic basis, watches as a player without competent pairing or puck support struggles, then devalues that player in their minds and go "next" its a virtual meatgrinder.

LOL as well at what Petry thinks about a creampuff like J Schultz asking top money. Or that the Oilers seemingly said to Nikitin "how much ya want" lol

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2014, 06:14 PM
MagicOilers73

I think MacT's done a fairly good job so far & think everyone's got their butts in a bind to be so pessimistic based on the end results from last year indicated but forgot a few important things about how we started off last year & should be more hopeful for this year.
First off we started without RNH & Gagner in the lineup(RNH with shoulder & Gagner with broken jaw)
Second Arco I believe will be the #2C & will show that he can hold the fort for the year as he also had pretty good possession #s last year until Eakins dropped him to 3rd/4th line duty.
Third Pouliot & Purcell's possession #s suggest that they were brought in to not only add size but to bring the "fight" to the opposition & keep they play more in the opposition's zone & both have shown that they can get the job done. I've heard other's on this board complain about Pouliot's term & money for a player that played for 5 different teams in 5 years but neglected to take into consideration that the teams he played for eventually had younger/cheaper options for that spot(stop gap type player) we currently don't have a player on the roster of that type & I believe that's why MacT signed him to that contract.
Fourth As far as Fayne & Nikitin are concerned, Fayne was playing against opposition's top pairing for last couple of years & has done a good job at it & I believe he'll be top4 if not top2 for us. Nikitin is a top4 defender that had younger/cheaper options for top4 in Columbus & that's why he was playing third pair there.

As a result of these new additions & with RNH healthy to start the season, If Arco can hold the fort as 2C unless someone else shakes loose from another team during training camp or pre-season, I believe this team can challenge for a playoff spot this year. Weither or not they get in or not we'll have to wait until the games are played to find out.

Sorry for the length of this post & my apologies in advance if I sound like I'm ripping into anyone, I'm dismayed at the pessimistic views of the Oilers' board while conveniently forgetting certain facts about our situation last year. If RNH & Gagner hadn't been injured to start the season, I don't think this is a bottom 5 team, I see this team as a 17th to 22nd place team overall.

MagicOilers73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2014, 06:54 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I wasn't aware hfboards hired post reviewers that have no board function other than to critique others posts and not offer any content in reply.

I think most readers can detect that your chronic *input* on a discussion board is more questionable than any of that which you reply to.

The focal point should be discussion on a discussion board. The focal point of 90% of a posters posts shouldn't be critiquing other posters with no real input into the discussion.

Have you even stated your answer to the topic in the thread yet?
90% is being generous

He's been at this schtick so long that I suspect it has more to do with an inability to participate, rather than an unwillingness.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2014, 09:01 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
The Matt Cullen who is 37 years old, who hasn't played a full NHL season since 2000-2001, and hasn't hit 50 points ONCE in his career, is the guy you want at #2 center.

Yeah, right.
Hey, I'd love to have RNH as our number 2 with Crosby on the first but I wanted a plausible scenario. And having a 37 year center with experience > 3 centers with under 200GP.

Lets put this into perspective Matt Cullen has played 1150 NHL games. RNH, Arcobello, Draisaitl and Gordon combined have a total of 784 NHL games. The worst part is the guy with the 560 of those games people want to put on the 4th line. Meaning our top 3 centers would have a combined 224 games. Thats absolutely pathetic and a great way to get into the Mcdavid sweepstakes. Also love how you threw in that Cullen hasn't played a full season since 2001, even though he hit 77 games last year. The guy missed 5-10 games a year over the last 4 years, the same or less then about 90% of the league.

Im not pissed that MacT didn't do what I thought he should. Im pissed that people seem to excuse MacT for the center situation this team is in right now. He has had numerous options going back to last year to fix the center position. Instead he chose to resign Gagner and subsequently trade him the following off season for nothing. Giving us absolutely brutal center depth going into the season unless a trade is made.

Old
08-18-2014, 12:49 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Well, I think it's safe to say that our off-season moves are over with. It's too close to training camp to convince me that we're picking up anyone else.

I was hoping we'd pick up another center so that we could let LD spend another year in the juniors, but it doesn't look like that's happening.

Still, with LD being forced into that #2 center position, I'm pretty happy with what we've done.

When was the last time we had a year where we picked up so many players qualified to be playing on NHL teams?

The D-men we picked up allow Klefbom and Nurse to continue to develop in the minors.

The forwards we picked up give eakins a lot of options in terms of line combos, a lot more size and toughness and we'll have a lot of these guys for long enough that we won't have to worry about rushing our other prospects.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Hey, I'd love to have RNH as our number 2 with Crosby on the first but I wanted a plausible scenario. And having a 37 year center with experience > 3 centers with under 200GP.

Lets put this into perspective Matt Cullen has played 1150 NHL games. RNH, Arcobello, Draisaitl and Gordon combined have a total of 784 NHL games. The worst part is the guy with the 560 of those games people want to put on the 4th line. Meaning our top 3 centers would have a combined 224 games. Thats absolutely pathetic and a great way to get into the Mcdavid sweepstakes. Also love how you threw in that Cullen hasn't played a full season since 2001, even though he hit 77 games last year. The guy missed 5-10 games a year over the last 4 years, the same or less then about 90% of the league.

Im not pissed that MacT didn't do what I thought he should. Im pissed that people seem to excuse MacT for the center situation this team is in right now. He has had numerous options going back to last year to fix the center position. Instead he chose to resign Gagner and subsequently trade him the following off season for nothing. Giving us absolutely brutal center depth going into the season unless a trade is made.
110% disagree with this statement. Just because the guy has played more games doesn't mean he will be better at the job. Especially when you consider that he's 37 years old, and at the end of the road career wise.
This type of mentality is what causes stagnation - Well Jim has been with us for 7 years now, so deserves the promotion even though John is more qualified (but happens to be a newbie).

See the logic fail there?

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2014, 11:53 AM
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
110% disagree with this statement. Just because the guy has played more games doesn't mean he will be better at the job. Especially when you consider that he's 37 years old, and at the end of the road career wise.
This type of mentality is what causes stagnation - Well Jim has been with us for 7 years now, so deserves the promotion even though John is more qualified (but happens to be a newbie).

Depends on the 37 year old. If the 37 year old still has good hockey left in him and can contribute in a meaningful way, then he;s a perfect stopgap until one of our young centers are ready.

But of course, I think you're probably thinking about the time we acquired Eric Belanger who was an absolute disaster of a signing. All he did was win faceoffs. This guy couldn't even play hockey.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2014, 12:26 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:

Name the last team that made the playoffs with their top 3 centers having played less then 250 games combined?? Were not even going to be close this year but you fans can keep hoping and wishing I guess. We should have one more vet for a year or two to help break in RNH and one of Arcobello/Draisaitl. Thats what a team with brains would do.

Also you must be pretty young if you don't understand why Jim gets that promotion instead of John who is green as green can be. As long as Jim can handle the job and is competent in filling the position he's the better choice. It helps build a sense of pride in your work when you have to earn your position and it's not given to you. Drasaitl and Arcobello's time will come to be NHL'ers, it doesn't have to be this year, and IMO it would be better for the Oiler's culture if they sent Draisaitl down even if he is ready.

Last edited by raab: 08-18-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old
08-18-2014, 12:43 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Name the last team that made the playoffs with their top 3 centers having played less then 250 games combined?? Were not even going to be close this year but you fans can keep hoping and wishing I guess. We should have one more vet for a year or two to break in RNH and one of Arcobello/Draisaitl. Thats what a team with brains would do.

Also you must be pretty young if you don't understand why Jim gets that promotion instead of John who is green as green can be. As long as Jim can handle the job and is competent in filling the position he's the better choice. It helps build a sense of pride in your work when you have to earn your position and it's not given to you. Drasaitl and Arcobello's time will come to be NHL'ers, it doesn't have to be this year, and IMO it would be better for the Oiler's culture if they sent Draisaitl down even if he is ready.
This has absolutely nothing to do with the point I had made. If we have a guy who's only played 45 games say, but is better at the position in every way than the guy that's played 1145 games...you play the rookie. Otherwise you're just hurting yourself - now having that old guy around for depth however, is a different thing.

As far as Jim getting the job over John, it just shouldn't be happening. Any manager that would promote Jim over John should be fired (I'm over 40, but I'm not sure how that even equates into this discussion - frankly it shouldn't, but it explains a lot about why you're thinking the way you do.) It has nothing to do with just having your position handed to you. I very clearly stated that John is more qualified than Jim, but Jim has been working there longer. Jim shouldn't get to "earn" the promotion just because he's been around longer....that's pure mismanagement and borderline incompetence.

You want your company to fail? Because that's how you get your company to fail...

Old
08-18-2014, 12:54 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
This has absolutely nothing to do with the point I had made. If we have a guy who's only played 45 games say, but is better at the position in every way than the guy that's played 1145 games...you play the rookie. Otherwise you're just hurting yourself - now having that old guy around for depth however, is a different thing.

As far as Jim getting the job over John, it just shouldn't be happening. Any manager that would promote Jim over John should be fired (I'm over 40, but I'm not sure how that even equates into this discussion - frankly it shouldn't, but it explains a lot about why you're thinking the way you do.) It has nothing to do with just having your position handed to you. I very clearly stated that John is more qualified than Jim, but Jim has been working there longer. Jim shouldn't get to "earn" the promotion just because he's been around longer....that's pure mismanagement and borderline incompetence.

You want your company to fail? Because that's how you get your company to fail...
Your assuming Drasaitl and Arcobello will be better then a guy who scored 37 points last year while playing good defensive hockey? And it's not just Cullen we could use anyone in this example. I take the guy who has experience and has proved that he can handle the position over some young hot shot who thinks he has what it takes. If you want to build a culture of pride in your organization you don't give the position to the young guy if they are close in talent. You make the young guy put in the work and earn it. Of course in saying that there are exceptions to the rule. If we had just drafted Sidney Crosby I would obviously have him on the team as he is clearly head and shoulders above a guy like Cullen or any other average center out there even as an 18 year old.

Old
08-18-2014, 01:43 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Your assuming Drasaitl and Arcobello will be better then a guy who scored 37 points last year while playing good defensive hockey? And it's not just Cullen we could use anyone in this example. I take the guy who has experience and has proved that he can handle the position over some young hot shot who thinks he has what it takes. If you want to build a culture of pride in your organization you don't give the position to the young guy if they are close in talent. You make the young guy put in the work and earn it. Of course in saying that there are exceptions to the rule. If we had just drafted Sidney Crosby I would obviously have him on the team as he is clearly head and shoulders above a guy like Cullen or any other average center out there even as an 18 year old.
Once again, you are totally ignoring the point I made and are insisting on obfuscating it.

What I stated, and I'll provide some quotes for you to make it easy; "If you have a rookie that is better at doing the job than a player that has many years under his belt, you play the rookie. It's just smart business practice to employ the best "employee" for the position possible".

BOTTOM LINE: You don't promote an employee over someone better qualified, just because they've been there longer...that's terrible management.

Old
08-18-2014, 01:50 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Once again, you are totally ignoring the point I made and are insisting on obfuscating it.

What I stated, and I'll provide some quotes for you to make it easy; "If you have a rookie that is better at doing the job than a player that has many years under his belt, you play the rookie. It's just smart business practice to employ the best "employee" for the position possible".

BOTTOM LINE: You don't promote an employee over someone better qualified, just because they've been there longer...that's terrible management.
How does anyone have a clue that the rookie is better than the vet unless they are both competing for time. That is the WHOLE point. As it is the Oilers are going with a good AHLer and an 18 year old rookie and have no one at all for them to compete with.

As it is now the team is handing an 18 year old player with zero games in the league a job and worse yet the Oilers have no depth at all behind the two very unproven quantities.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2014, 01:59 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
How does anyone have a clue that the rookie is better than the vet unless they are both competing for time. That is the WHOLE point. As it is the Oilers are going with a good AHLer and an 18 year old rookie and have no one at all for them to compete with.

As it is now the team is handing an 18 year old player with zero games in the league a job and worse yet the Oilers have no depth at all behind the two very unproven quantities.
Ahh excellent point to bring up Beerfish! This is more like it, and the right questions to ask. This is why i also stated that bringing in a guy like Cullen for depth is a different matter altogether.

My stance was assuming you HAVE a guy like Cullen in the org already. My whole point all along (assuming you read through it), is that you don't auto give that experienced guy a position over the rookie if the rookie is obviously better - you play the rookie, and keep the experienced guy for depth/injury.

Old
08-18-2014, 02:01 PM
oilinblood

Quote:

They way i see it is Gordon will be the third line centre...he is wasted on the fourth. Most fans who cheer for other teams see him as one of the decent non core players we had last season. A deep team like the Bruins even like himas a 3rd.
Hiring Cullen is akin to hiring Grebs for competition in camp and depth last year....something hf got their panties in a twist about. Difference being Grebs signed (slim chance even an overager signs inEdmonton) and wasnt an overage contract with the handcuffing that comes with that.

If Iam GM i like having lots of competition but i also want to manage my contract number to give me flexibility and i want to bring in undrafted players as tryouts to camp. They dont cost me a contract up front and i can evaluate my options.

Lots will happen on the waiver wire and lots of players will become available once GMs get a look at their teams. The way MacT has been flying to watch other teams and sending out his pro scouts, since he took over as GM, leads me to a belief he will continue to be the most active and involved GM in the league.

My personal opinion is...even if a Cullen wants to sign here and move his family for a short term need...and sign an overage contract with the controls placed on those...i still predict i could promote as good or better a player from within that allows me actual flexibility not available in an overage contract. Thats if he even wanted to tell his wife and family they were being dragged to Edmonton for a few months.

Old
08-18-2014, 02:33 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Ahh excellent point to bring up Beerfish! This is more like it, and the right questions to ask. This is why i also stated that bringing in a guy like Cullen for depth is a different matter altogether.

My stance was assuming you HAVE a guy like Cullen in the org already. My whole point all along (assuming you read through it), is that you don't auto give that experienced guy a position over the rookie if the rookie is obviously better - you play the rookie, and keep the experienced guy for depth/injury.

I think everyone agrees with that. But IMO if the vet and the rookie are equal, you keep the vet and let the rookie earn his stripes. The whole point I made is that we have ONE guy with any experience, so we don't know if Drasaitl or Arcobello will be better or not. And you can say experience doesn't matter but then I will bring it up again name the last team with 3 centers with under 250 games played combined that made the playoffs? You don't see it because experience is worth something.