HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Justin Schultz's contract

Closed Thread

Old
08-13-2014, 11:37 PM
hallsyoilerforever

vCash: 500
Haven't heard anything. My guess it gets done in the next week.

Old
08-15-2014, 09:35 AM
Hockey Nightmare
Ex-hockey fan

http://oilersnation.com/2014/8/14/ju...act-isn-t-done

Quote:
JUSTIN SCHULTZ: NO WONDER THE CONTRACT ISN’T DONE

...Matheson seems to take exceptional care with his phrasing, using words like “almost surely” this and “probably” that rather than making outright assertions, but if the picture he paints is accurate than Schultz and agent Wade Arnott have an unrealistic view of just how good the defenceman actually is at this point in time...
Whatever happened to hockey players earning what they receive? I'm beginning to wonder if this is the price the oil are paying for giving huge contracts to guys like Nuge who are getting their $$$ based on potential more than performance. Problem is, Schultz has done even less to deserve a huge contract given his poor defensive play and underwhelming offensive numbers.

Old
08-15-2014, 09:39 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Nightmare View Post

Whatever happened to hockey players earning what they receive? I'm beginning to wonder if this is the price the oil are paying for giving huge contracts to guys like Nuge who are getting their $$$ based on potential more than performance. Problem is, Schultz has done even less to deserve a huge contract given his poor defensive play and underwhelming offensive numbers.
Defensemen get "paid" for offensive production, the Defense is just expected. So from Schultz' perspective, he's looking at the offensive production and how that relates to a deal he wants. Of Course he's asking for a lot, it would be stupid if he didn't.

I suspect this will be a 1 to 2 year deal (at this point) and then Schultz, if his game comes around, will get paid.

But to Willis' point, you don't pay Diaz or McBain $600K because you think $4M is too much for Schultz, ugh. If you don't want to pay Schultz, trade him, it's that simple.

Last edited by Jimmi Jenkins: 08-15-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old
08-15-2014, 09:45 AM
Skinnyjimmy08

I have a feeling itll be a pain in the butt everytime Schultz is up for a new contract... But on the flipside, he sees what the other underperforming Oil youth contracts are so I guess I don't blame him

Old
08-15-2014, 09:47 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
I have a feeling itll be a pain in the butt everytime Schultz is up for a new contract... But on the flipside, he sees what the other underperforming Oil youth contracts are so I guess I don't blame him

No, that's not a thing in this case.

Old
08-15-2014, 09:50 AM
shogun99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
Which young Oiler is underperforming based on their contract? Hall and Eberle played the 1st year of theirs. Hall is overperforming and Eberle was on par with his. RNH did pretty good for a guy with an ELC cap hit. Maybe wait until the end of next season to see if RNH is underperforming.

Old
08-17-2014, 02:51 AM
tiger_80

Schultz just seems such an entitled *******. I guess the Oilers should have known better what they were getting into after his Anaheim's adventures. Hopefully it's a 2 year bridge contract, then trade his ass once Klefbom, Marincin and Nurse are ready to assume more prominent roles.

Old
08-17-2014, 06:21 AM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Schultz just seems such an entitled *******. I guess the Oilers should have known better what they were getting into after his Anaheim's adventures. Hopefully it's a 2 year bridge contract, then trade his ass once Klefbom, Marincin and Nurse are ready to assume more prominent roles.
Why take it personal dude, it is Schultz's right to negotiate. Schultz doesn't really have alot of leverage here so it is probably in his best interest to sign short term. Personally I think Schultz could be a very good player for this team so I think the bridge deal could come back to bite the team in the ass.

Old
08-17-2014, 08:07 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Why take it personal dude, it is Schultz's right to negotiate. Schultz doesn't really have alot of leverage here so it is probably in his best interest to sign short term. Personally I think Schultz could be a very good player for this team so I think the bridge deal could come back to bite the team in the ass.
I personally think it's in his best interest to get as much money as possible now.

He did not have a good season. If his defense doesn't improve during the course of this contract there's a good chance he becomes Michael Del Zotto, or MA Bergeron, in terms of the money he's going to be worth to a team.

Old
08-17-2014, 09:50 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Nightmare View Post

Reading that article makes me wonder if Dellow was hired to do the analytics stuff and to make contract comparables

Old
08-17-2014, 11:39 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Reading that article makes me wonder if Dellow was hired to do the analytics stuff and to make contract comparables
Sounds like a good place to use Dellow's talents to me, among other places of course.

Old
08-17-2014, 12:34 PM
ExOilerFan

This guy is really holding out
Obviously he thinks he is way better than his play indicates

Old
08-17-2014, 03:00 PM
topchowda

I'm perfectly fine if he holds out and we roll on without him. Either trade him or sign him to a bargain deal. His asking price is ridiculous and his attitude is not what we need.

At this point he is a pp QB. If we dealt him it wouldn't hurt us. Maybe Gernat or Laleggia could fill that role.

Id wish him luck elsewhere. But judging by his history with the ducks and now here, he is only looking for the $

Old
08-17-2014, 03:09 PM
MettleOiler

maybe he's like

" You know, I just want to enjoy my summer, and don't want to bother Mac-T with my extension just yet, maybe late August or early September, then I will sign my appropriately fair contract, which I will take a paycut because I dont' want to burden this team! You know, because I'm that kind of guy and fans will love me for being so humble"

or maybe

" ****a gotta get paid!"

who knows? Schultz or no Schultz, I'm just happy hockey is right around the corner.

Old
08-17-2014, 03:09 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

He's gonna get a ton of haters within the fanbase now, no matter what happens.

Old
08-17-2014, 03:13 PM
MettleOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
He's gonna get a ton of haters within the fanbase now, no matter what happens.

Old
08-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
I'm perfectly fine if he holds out and we roll on without him. Either trade him or sign him to a bargain deal. His asking price is ridiculous and his attitude is not what we need.

At this point he is a pp QB. If we dealt him it wouldn't hurt us. Maybe Gernat or Laleggia could fill that role.

Id wish him luck elsewhere. But judging by his history with the ducks and now here, he is only looking for the $
Look at Justin Schultz's production in college and the AHL. Now compare that to Gernat and Laleggia. Gernat and Laleggia probably will never even be NHLers.

People are delusional if they think this team doesn't need Justin Schultz right now. The next best point producer on the back end? Andrew Ferrence.... yeah this team doesn't need Justin Schultz

You don't just dump a player because contract negotiations are tough.

Old
08-17-2014, 03:42 PM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Look at Justin Schultz's production in college and the AHL. Now compare that to Gernat and Laleggia. Gernat and Laleggia probably will never even be NHLers.

People are delusional if they think this team doesn't need Justin Schultz right now. The next best point producer on the back end? Andrew Ferrence.... yeah this team doesn't need Justin Schultz

I agree. You can't just drop him. You can't pay him top dollar either though. If he doesn't want to take a reasonable contract make him sit and then we'll see how "valuable" he really is when the team isn't bleeding goals while he's on the ice.

Old
08-17-2014, 03:53 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post

I think one can become a #6 PP QB, which Schultz is right now.

We can also trade him and get a good asset back.

We do need Schultz right now, but not his diva attitude

Old
08-17-2014, 05:04 PM
KMart27

Quote:
I think one can become a #6 PP QB, which Schultz is right now.

We can also trade him and get a good asset back.

We do need Schultz right now, but not his diva attitude
Where is there any actual evidence of that?

Old
08-17-2014, 05:13 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

For all of the BS that Schultz is getting right now, imagine how ****ed we'd be if he didn't sign with us. Our point production on the blueline would probably have approached record levels of futility these last 2 seasons.

At the end of the day he chose to sign with us when he could've gotten the exact same contract from pretty well every team in the league. He does not deserve to be crapped on by this fan base, he has been identified as one of the core by our current GM. The best is yet to come with this player and even if we overpay him on this deal keep in mind that unlike the rest of our core he had a choice where to go and he chose here so cut the guy some slack. Watch him get paid and be appreciative that it's one less position on D that needs to be filled. Regardless of what anyone thinks of his defensive play he is the best offensive d-man that we have in the system or on the team so he fills a valuable role on this club.

08-17-2014, 05:25 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMart27 View Post
The Anahiem ditch, if he is actually holding out for a Subban deal.

Gardiner signed quick to a good deal, I see no reason why he doesnt do the same

Old
08-17-2014, 05:28 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
The Anahiem ditch, if he is actually holding out for a Subban deal.

Gardiner signed quick to a good deal, I see no reason why he doesnt do the same
So he didn't want to sign with Anaheim but instead chose somewhere where most FA's don't want to go and that's bad for us? Subban deal? What kind of a dimwit thinks that he's looking for a $9 million a year deal at full term?

Old
08-17-2014, 05:31 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMart27 View Post
There was a rumour a while back from a somewhat suspect source that the Schultz camp may have an unrealistic view of his play at the moment. But that is about it. Otherwise it's complete speculation.

As much as they need Schultz, they also need to not blow the team's cap structure. I can see this dragging out to camp, tbh. But I think a reasonable deal can be arranged by the start of the season. Schultz won't want to sit and not play with his friends, and MacT won't want to go into the season without a D that can put up points. The Oilers would be throwing in the towel at game 1.

Because, and this sucks to say, worst case scenario and Schultz holds out all season or goes to play the season in Russia or something, the Oilers probably just end up where everyone is predicting they end up, and get one last great kid out of that fantastic 2015 top 5-6. MacT's job isn't on the line and wouldn't be after one more dismal season no matter how much fans and media might want it.

Old
08-17-2014, 05:36 PM
KMart27

There are still quite a few significant RFA's that haven't signed yet. Anything being said about the contract negotiations is speculation. As long as he signs a reasonable contract and it is before training camp, there is no reason to be upset or bash him.

Closed Thread