HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

PO GDT: Sharks @ Predators - 4.10.07

Old
04-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Stranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
I held my breath everytime I heard those train whistles. There was more than once that Tootoo was out while Thornton's line was out, and in our end, that's recipe for disaster.
Agreed. Furthermore, I thought Tootoo was one of the worst players on the ice. He wasn't hitting as much due to the the refs watching him under a microscope. In fact, he wasn't doing much of anything. Well, other than blowing a breakaway chance in OT... My initial thought was, why couldn't it have been anyone else on the breakaway...

Stranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 12:00 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Toots career is at a crossroads. It seems like he's no longer able to play physically because the refs have singled him out. He either has to develop an all-around game or he'll bounce from team to team before finishing it up in the AHL.

And his breakaway attempt was pathetic. He showed shot the entire time and surprised no one with his release. Only a sniper can tell the goalie he's going to shoot it and then basically announce exactly when the shot will take place. He'd have been better off winding up and attempting to blow it by him.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 12:01 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

One additional item I would like to mention concerning Radulov. If you examine the shift chart at NHL.com, you'll see that he hardly played in the first period (unlike his normal linemate Peter Forsberg). He was only on the ice for :44.

That explains why he only had 19:39 of total ice time.

I suppose that Trotzy wanted to ease him into the playoffs. If he doesn't get more ice time on Friday though, Trotzy is nuts. Even if San Jose shifts their focus to Forsberg and Rads, that should open up the Kariya-Legwand-Erat line even more.

Fortunately, Radulov isn't the defensive liability he once was. Hell, he went from being one of the weakest guys on his feet to one of our strongest. His forechecking abilities and ability to win the puck battles are absolutely phenominal.

Looking forward to Friday.

David

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 12:07 PM
RollingPredFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingle View Post
One additional item I would like to mention concerning Radulov. If you examine the shift chart at NHL.com, you'll see that he hardly played in the first period (unlike his normal linemate Peter Forsberg). He was only on the ice for :44.

I suppose that Trotzy wanted to ease him into the playoffs. If he doesn't get more ice time on Friday though, Trotzy is nuts.

Fortunately, Radulov isn't the defensive liability he once was. Hell, he went from being one of the weakest guys on his feet to one of our strongest. His forechecking abilities and ability to win the puck battles are absolutely phenominal.

David

No doubt Radulov was our best player. And I did notice he wasn't in much in the first period... I guess Trotzy thought he may have deer in the headlights or something... Trotzy better give him lots of ice time from now on LOL

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Vswan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtrash25 View Post
I, for one, could give a crap whether Cheechoo plays. If he's out for the series, it won't bother me a bit. It was a fluke play, and fluke plays happen. It's unfortunate, but that's hockey. San Jose has had remarkable luck with injuries this year. Of their key guys, Thornton played 82 games, Marleau 77, Cheechoo 76, Michalek 78, Carle 77, Grier 81, Ehrhoff 82, Hannan 79, Rissmiller 79, etc. McLaren missed 15 games, Clowe missed 14 and Bernier missed 20. That's it.

When compared with our long-term injuries this season -- Vokoun, Arnott, Sullivan, Erat, Hartnell, Nichol -- I won't feel bad at all if they have to do without a key player.
I dont remember the sharks being the cause of your "long term" injuries. I would much rather see both teams bring all they have to the table healthy and sorting out which is the best team, over the intentionally or not, removal of a teams key players.

Friday is another game there will always be a possiblity of injuries....I predict the physical play will continue to get stepped up as the series goes on , should be quite excitting.

Vswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 01:18 PM
nashtrash25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vswan View Post
I dont remember the sharks being the cause of your "long term" injuries. I would much rather see both teams bring all they have to the table healthy and sorting out which is the best team, over the intentionally or not, removal of a teams key players.

Friday is another game there will always be a possiblity of injuries....I predict the physical play will continue to get stepped up as the series goes on , should be quite excitting.
The playoffs are a war of attrition. Having both teams play a series at 100% health isn't realistic.

nashtrash25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 02:28 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:

I suppose that Trotzy wanted to ease him into the playoffs. If he doesn't get more ice time on Friday though, Trotzy is nuts. Even if San Jose shifts their focus to Forsberg and Rads, that should open up the Kariya-Legwand-Erat line even more.

David
I think the plethora of special teams play in the first period also had a lot to do with Radulov only getting two shifts. Regardless, once he got onto the ice...he was one of the top players in the game.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 02:38 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I think the plethora of special teams play in the first period also had a lot to do with Radulov only getting two shifts. Regardless, once he got onto the ice...he was one of the top players in the game.
True, but Forsberg doesn't kill penalties either we didn't have too many PP ourselves in the first period. Radulov just didn't get on the ice very much in the first period. Most of San Jose's PP time came in the second period.

Again, I don't think it's a big deal. Just pointing out an oddity. I think Trotzy just wanted to ease him into his first playoff game. He probably wishes he'd played him earlier. I imagine the leash will be lifted on Friday.

David

Old
04-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Stranger

You have to think San Jose tightens up on Forsberg and Radulov next game. If so, perhaps another line will be sprung loose. We need Kariya and Legwand to step it up next game.

Stranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 03:00 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:

David
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
You have to think San Jose tightens up on Forsberg and Radulov next game. If so, perhaps another line will be sprung loose. We need Kariya and Legwand to step it up next game.

You must have read my original post.

Just teasing. It's that "great minds think alike" thing.

Old
04-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
True, but Forsberg doesn't kill penalties either we didn't have too many PP ourselves in the first period. Radulov just didn't get on the ice very much in the first period. Most of San Jose's PP time came in the second period.

Again, I don't think it's a big deal. Just pointing out an oddity. I think Trotzy just wanted to ease him into his first playoff game. He probably wishes he'd played him earlier. I imagine the leash will be lifted on Friday.

David
You're right that Forsberg doesn't kill penalties, however he does come out immediately following the end of a penalty with Kariya and Erat on his wings. Therefore, since I think there was some concern about easing Radulov into the playoffs and a desire to keep him with Forsberg at all times, the penalties did play a big role in why his ice time was so limited in the first period.

Penalties kill flow. They make your PK'ers work extra hard and have your best players that don't kill penalties on the bench watching the action instead of creating the action. Penalties just plain old blow the big one.

Old
04-12-2007, 03:39 PM
off_the_shneid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtrash25 View Post
If this series stays 5-on-5, Nashville wins. We're the better team at even strength. Let's hope Legwand and Kariya show up sometime soon. If Radulov continues playing with the drive he had last night, he and Forsberg will be tough to stop. I have faith that Dumont will continue to be $$.

I had a bad feeling after failing to convert in the first overtime. You can't leave that many chances on the table and expect to win.

I, for one, could give a crap whether Cheechoo plays. If he's out for the series, it won't bother me a bit. It was a fluke play, and fluke plays happen. It's unfortunate, but that's hockey. San Jose has had remarkable luck with injuries this year. Of their key guys, Thornton played 82 games, Marleau 77, Cheechoo 76, Michalek 78, Carle 77, Grier 81, Ehrhoff 82, Hannan 79, Rissmiller 79, etc. McLaren missed 15 games, Clowe missed 14 and Bernier missed 20. That's it.

When compared with our long-term injuries this season -- Vokoun, Arnott, Sullivan, Erat, Hartnell, Nichol -- I won't feel bad at all if they have to do without a key player.
Injuries are part of the Playoffs and San Jose will battle through it. Unfortunately, Nashville did have many key injuries during the season but they healed in time for the POs (except Sullivan). The intent of the Hartnell hit is questionable, but players have to keep their elbows and knees to himself, just like they do with their sticks. As a Sharks fan, it hurts to see Cheech go down like that, but the Sharks have dealt with injuries before this season.

Thornton played the first quarter of the season with a broken toe, a broken wrist, and strep throat. He showed the Sharks what it means to be a team player. I espect both the Sharks and the Preds to endure more injuries in the POs. You can only hope that they will not be borderline-intentional.

Good luck the rest of the series, it will be intense!

off_the_shneid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Rmac22

Just thought I'd mention how awesome the Preds are. You guys are lucky to see a team built from nothing to a legit cup contender in 7-8 years. Too bad we will never see that in Toronto.

I think this will be an incredible series, game 1 was just awesome.

I called Preds as cup champs before the season, so I hope you can pull through. Go Preds!!!

Rmac22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 05:11 PM
braindead

I'm finally getting around to posting some thoughts.... my head was pounding and ears ringing too much to do it last night.

First and foremost (as captured in an earlier posts by nomo and others) this was an exciting, entertaining match. As badly as we want our teams to win, this is ultimately an entertainment product and I was entertained far beyond the price of admission. I also think the ability to come back and tie it and play nearly 2 more periods of strong hockey was a big boost to the Pred players and fans. I've never felt that good after a loss-- but to be clear it still isn't close to the feeling after a win.

The great

Forsberg, Rads, and Dumont. I thought all 3 stepped up their games. Forseberg had more hits last night than all prior Preds games combined and his passes on several occasions were truly unbelievable. I almost had the feeling that he was playing this game in the context of a series rather than an individual game and was doing things to win over the long-haul. Rads was great and continues to improve on nearly a game by game basis.

I would also add the penalty kill to the list considering the circumstances.

The good

Zids. I haven't seen anyone mention this so I may be asleep at the wheel but it seemed like Zids had his mojo back. It seems like he has been sleep walking through the year but he had hits, moves, passes and shots last night that reminded me of the attitude he used to play with.

Vokoun. Sure he let in 5 and Nabby outplayed him but he also seems like he is getting it back togther. I can see this Vokoun actually getting a shutout or 1 goal victory sometime, which until 2 games ago I couldn't have said anytime during 2007.

Suter and Zanon. I thought both had a solid hustling game

The refs. What???????????? Yes, I said it. The refs were good...over 5 periods. Over 3 periods they had a few too many mistakes to get a passing grade (see below) but over the course of 5 periods it was fine (there will always, in every game be missed calls and often a really badly missed call so I think complaints about officiating should be used very sparingly notwithstanding its popularity on our boards). Most importantly they let the teams decide things in the 2 OT periods, as it should be.

The bad

Enterprise to Captain, are you there? I shouldn't say Kimmo had a bad game, he just had some really, really awful moments during the game. Several. Really bad. I'm not confident that he has the stamina to play top pairing minutes against the Sharks' big bodies during a long series-- I hope I'm wrong.

Hooking and diving combo calls. I hate them. Pick one and go with it. I'd rather be on the PK than have this stupid combo of penalties called. Outlaw it for the sake of the game.

The Tootoo boarding call- I think the refs in the last 3 games have clearly sent a signal that a clampdown has been ordered. I'm fine with calling his stupid hits but I think he is being put under the microscope because it hurts to get hit by him.

Final officiating thought-- I think the league (and the players) has to better address the scrums after whistles in front of the nets. It seems to me that players are free to do virtually anything in the first 5 seconds following the whistle as long as they are in the crowd in front of the net. Maybe its just me but I find it annoying and it seems to be getting worse. Anyway, I digress.

Really final officiating thought-- does booing and chanting "ref you suck" really help our team? Given a striped shirt and an opportunity, I'd **** with a crowd that did that to me.

The invisible

Paul Kariya, please come to the lost and found desk immediately. Your fans can't find you and they are worried.

Vish. Ok, he was scratched but what happened to this guy? Substance abuse problem? Attitude issues? Atlanta benched and dumped him and now we bench him. Something is going on.

The miracle

Sully will play again in our building this year, this series. Book it.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Seth Lake

Someone I haven't seen mentioned too often for his performance last night was Arnott. Clearly the best game he has played as a Predator. A whole new level to his game and I thought that he was clearly trying to lead by example and showed that he has not only been deep in the playoffs, but he has also claimed the ultimate prize.

Arnott was aggressive on the forecheck and literally willed himself through players to get ahold of the puck. I thought he was a key to our third period comeback and much of our chances generated off the cycle in both OT's as well. But he performed the same way from the opening puck drop throughout the end of the game.

Old
04-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Hello all.

I had a chance to finally watch the Preds last night vs. Sharks. I saw most of the game, and I have to say that this Radulov kid was impressive! Pardon me, if I'm a little a late on this but believe it or not, last night's game was the first time this year that I've gotten to see the Preds play. That one goal he scored (I believe it was the Preds third goal) was just amazing.

Now, this is probably going to be a stupid question (and again, pardon me if it is), but has he played this good all year long? Anything else I need to know about him aside from his great puck-handling and skating? Thanks.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Hello all.

I had a chance to finally watch the Preds last night vs. Sharks. I saw most of the game, and I have to say that this Radulov kid was impressive! Pardon me, if I'm a little a late on this but believe it or not, last night's game was the first time this year that I've gotten to see the Preds play. That one goal he scored (I believe it was the Preds third goal) was just amazing.

Now, this is probably going to be a stupid question (and again, pardon me if it is), but has he played this good all year long? Anything else I need to know about him aside from his great puck-handling and skating? Thanks.
His last 10-15 games have been awesome ... he had a slump in the middle of the season where most rookies do ... but man he's finishing the season like he started it! ... and yes it was the Preds' 3rd goal where he absolutely undress (Hannan OR McLaren)

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 09:35 PM
milfordwing

From Braindead:
"The refs. What???????????? Yes, I said it. The refs were good...over 5 periods. Over 3 periods they had a few too many mistakes to get a passing grade (see below) but over the course of 5 periods it was fine (there will always, in every game be missed calls and often a really badly missed call so I think complaints about officiating should be used very sparingly notwithstanding its popularity on our boards). Most importantly they let the teams decide things in the 2 OT periods, as it should be.

The Tootoo boarding call- I think the refs in the last 3 games have clearly sent a signal that a clampdown has been ordered. I'm fine with calling his stupid hits but I think he is being put under the microscope because it hurts to get hit by him."

A couple of astute points. I don't think the reffing was as god awful as made out on these boards...questionable calls both ways.

Also, I think Tootoo is going to battling his reputation with the refs for the rest of his career, let alone this series.

milfordwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 09:39 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by milfordwing View Post
From Braindead:
"The refs. What???????????? Yes, I said it. The refs were good...over 5 periods. Over 3 periods they had a few too many mistakes to get a passing grade (see below) but over the course of 5 periods it was fine (there will always, in every game be missed calls and often a really badly missed call so I think complaints about officiating should be used very sparingly notwithstanding its popularity on our boards). Most importantly they let the teams decide things in the 2 OT periods, as it should be.

The Tootoo boarding call- I think the refs in the last 3 games have clearly sent a signal that a clampdown has been ordered. I'm fine with calling his stupid hits but I think he is being put under the microscope because it hurts to get hit by him."

A couple of astute points. I don't think the reffing was as god awful as made out on these boards...questionable calls both ways.

Also, I think Tootoo is going to battling his reputation with the refs for the rest of his career, let alone this series.
the Tootoo call didn't bother me TOO much. The ones that got me were the Nichol dive and the Zanon interference...but overall, I'm not harping on it.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 10:38 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
the Tootoo call didn't bother me TOO much. The ones that got me were the Nichol dive and the Zanon interference...but overall, I'm not harping on it.
I really sincerely appreciate the frustration with a dive call. Worse to me, is the situation where the hook and the dive are called together like last night. It was either one or the other right?

One of the benefits of the even-up call on that play early in the series is that both teams are still skating 4:4, but the ref has laid down the rule that he wont tolerate flopping and drawing minor and phantom penalties. I would rather see the players play rather than the actors act - without making a judgment on the specific play. I think the ref sending that message when he did it, may make for a more enjoyable series all around, and one where the refs are ALLOWED to fall into the background, rather than deciding a series.

Now all that being said, this series is going to get very physical and ugly at some point. My prediction is I don't think the refs are going to be able to fall into the background.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 08:16 AM
braindead

GDT someone????

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 08:20 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Game 1 might have been one of the most exciting games Ive ever seen.

Cant wait for tonight!

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 10:15 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Hello all.

I saw Radu a few times in Quebec city and he was a super-dynamo there. I never understood why the Preds took so much time in putting him in their line-up.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 10:47 PM
irisheyes555

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
GDT someone????
i'm banned because the preds don't win when i make them....

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 10:48 PM
irisheyes555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I saw Radu a few times in Quebec city and he was a super-dynamo there. I never understood why the Preds took so much time in putting him in their line-up.
the non-scoring aspects of his game. barry thought he was more a liability in defense than an asset on offense.

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote