HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-18-2014, 06:45 PM
  #701
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilz89 View Post
Whatever faults he may have.. hes a damn good fighter. Kicked Mcgrattans ass and can fight lucic
He's a damn good fighter who can skate. No harm in having him on the 4th line IMO. We've had worse players in that spot over the last 4 years.

raab is offline  
Old
08-18-2014, 06:48 PM
  #702
KMart27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 210
vCash: 500
If we add another winger it will be to the 4th line so I would prefer a bottom six winger that can kill penalties and provide energy. I don't see somebody like Penner or Malone adding anything to the team.

If the Oilers make another move it probably won't be until just before the season starts. Hopefully there will be some teams that are impressed by one of their younger players and that will make somebody available (Berglund for example).

KMart27 is offline  
Old
08-18-2014, 06:57 PM
  #703
oilz89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMart27 View Post
If we add another winger it will be to the 4th line so I would prefer a bottom six winger that can kill penalties and provide energy. I don't see somebody like Penner or Malone adding anything to the team.

If the Oilers make another move it probably won't be until just before the season starts. Hopefully there will be some teams that are impressed by one of their younger players and that will make somebody available (Berglund for example).
A centre depth of RNH-Berg-LD-Gordon would be the best we've had in a long time... which is pathetic lol

oilz89 is offline  
Old
08-18-2014, 07:04 PM
  #704
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilz89 View Post
So your saying you wouldn't be complaining if we didn't have a guy that can fight like him?
I never have. I'm not a huge believer in the need for an enforcer who can't play hockey.

Master Lok is online now  
Old
08-18-2014, 07:06 PM
  #705
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
He's a damn good fighter who can skate. No harm in having him on the 4th line IMO. We've had worse players in that spot over the last 4 years.
There is a harm.

What role is the fourth line to be?

Everyone is saying that the 4th line centre should be Boyd Gordon to shut down the opposition and because he doesn't have much offense.

Ok. So who's playing with Boyd Gordon shutting down the opposition, starting every faceoff in his own defensive zone.

Luke Gazdic? Good lord, that's a terrible idea.

So either Gazdic isn't playing on the fourth line, or Gordon isn't playing on the fourth line.

Master Lok is online now  
Old
08-18-2014, 07:15 PM
  #706
N5991989
Oilers Fan
 
N5991989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,498
vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
He's a damn good fighter who can skate. No harm in having him on the 4th line IMO. We've had worse players in that spot over the last 4 years.
No there is actually harm in him being there. We get trapped in our zone because he can't play a lick of hockey. I just tried to look up his stats but only found fights. While I get that it's entertaining for people to watch fights, modern hockey has gone past that. Face punchers are now hindrances in line ups.

N5991989 is offline  
Old
08-18-2014, 08:09 PM
  #707
oilinblood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,701
vCash: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
There is a harm.

What role is the fourth line to be?

Everyone is saying that the 4th line centre should be Boyd Gordon to shut down the opposition and because he doesn't have much offense.

Ok. So who's playing with Boyd Gordon shutting down the opposition, starting every faceoff in his own defensive zone.

Luke Gazdic? Good lord, that's a terrible idea.

So either Gazdic isn't playing on the fourth line, or Gordon isn't playing on the fourth line.
This what i dont understand. Gazdic is a great fighter but really a black hole.

I have a tough time believing that Gordon will be on that full defensive fourth line. I guess i see something in him that only others outside edmonton can see...that he does have good offensive iq and his play will benefit better wingers. His wingers will be sheltered and get more touches with him. I see a Hendricks as a full defensive centre that i can pin black holes on.

As for Gazdic...i think you have to double shift other forwards in that spot and keep Gazdic benched unless you want to kill that shift.

oilinblood is offline  
Old
08-18-2014, 08:15 PM
  #708
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by N5991989 View Post
No there is actually harm in him being there. We get trapped in our zone because he can't play a lick of hockey. I just tried to look up his stats but only found fights. While I get that it's entertaining for people to watch fights, modern hockey has gone past that. Face punchers are now hindrances in line ups.
Gazdic is a good enough hockey player to be able to clear the zone. His problem is that his fist are literally made of stone which is why he's so good at knocking guys out but can't score goals. Our defence is the main reason we were getting trapped in our zone. They take to long to make decisions and have a hard time getting the puck back if they lose it. Doesn't help that they got almost know forward support from any of the forwards on the team. Hopefully it will be better this year with the additions and because Scrivens can actually slow the game down and freeze the puck. Unlike Dubnyk who seemed to be a rebound machine.

raab is offline  
Old
08-18-2014, 09:44 PM
  #709
Quinteoilers
Registered User
 
Quinteoilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
I like how you dismissed Malone based on his off ice activities and then suggest Biznasty in the next sentence
Malone is slow, and old. Biznasty is pretty well known as a good guy/popular teammate.

Quinteoilers is offline  
Old
08-18-2014, 10:08 PM
  #710
Bergeron47
Registered User
 
Bergeron47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Gazdic is a good enough hockey player to be able to clear the zone. His problem is that his fist are literally made of stone which is why he's so good at knocking guys out but can't score goals. Our defence is the main reason we were getting trapped in our zone. They take to long to make decisions and have a hard time getting the puck back if they lose it. Doesn't help that they got almost know forward support from any of the forwards on the team. Hopefully it will be better this year with the additions and because Scrivens can actually slow the game down and freeze the puck. Unlike Dubnyk who seemed to be a rebound machine.
Wow, this sounds like a medical anomaly. To even play a game in the NHL with such a condition is mind-boggling!

Bergeron47 is online now  
Old
08-18-2014, 10:09 PM
  #711
SupremeTeam16
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
I don't really see a need to sign any other bottom 6 wingers. Regardless of whether Gazdic is healthy to start the season he will probably have some competition for that 4W spot from Pitlick and you could add in Arco/Lander if Mac-T can somehow land another C before the season starts.

I'm interested to see how Pakarinen is going to handle the transition to the NA game but judging from what I've read about him he could possibly be a good fit on that 4th line as well.

SupremeTeam16 is offline  
Old
08-18-2014, 10:33 PM
  #712
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
The Oilers Best
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilz89 View Post
Whatever faults he may have.. hes a damn good fighter. Kicked Mcgrattans ass and can fight lucic
Not in the fight that I saw between them. I'd give the edge to the Flame in that fight.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is online now  
Old
08-18-2014, 10:35 PM
  #713
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
The Oilers Best
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
There is a harm.

What role is the fourth line to be?

Everyone is saying that the 4th line centre should be Boyd Gordon to shut down the opposition and because he doesn't have much offense.

Ok. So who's playing with Boyd Gordon shutting down the opposition, starting every faceoff in his own defensive zone.

Luke Gazdic? Good lord, that's a terrible idea.

So either Gazdic isn't playing on the fourth line, or Gordon isn't playing on the fourth line.
Or you double shift guys in Gazdic's place, problem solved.

Bryanbryoil is online now  
Old
08-18-2014, 11:19 PM
  #714
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,307
vCash: 500
Gazdic, while no bum, is not a very good NHLer. But I'm not completely against having him on the team as purely a depth player.

Also, don't know why Gordon is your 4th line centre, he's a third line C who's taking big face offs, playing 15 hard minutes against opposing teams first and second lines... this is not the role of a fourth line player.

Philly85 is offline  
Old
08-18-2014, 11:25 PM
  #715
BarDownBobo
Registered User
 
BarDownBobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Yak City
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Gazdic, while no bum, is not a very good NHLer. But I'm not completely against having him on the team as purely a depth player.

Also, don't know why Gordon is your 4th line centre, he's a third line C who's taking big face offs, playing 15 hard minutes against opposing teams first and second lines... this is not the role of a fourth line player.
Historically you're right, but the way the NHL is going you need three scoring lines, and Gordon cannot contribute much offense at all. Him and Hendricks are 2/3rds of a good shutdown fourth line, just have to find the third part.

BarDownBobo is online now  
Old
08-18-2014, 11:30 PM
  #716
Joey Moss
Registered User
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 23,168
vCash: 500
Gazdic as a rookie established himself as a top end fighter in the league.. I don't have a problem with him playing 40 games a season. I don't think he's as bad as people think he is but I think Hendricks can hold his own as a tough guy when we don't need Gazdic in the lineup.

He still has time to grow his game.

Joey Moss is offline  
Old
08-19-2014, 12:02 AM
  #717
RisingSun
Registered User
 
RisingSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,743
vCash: 169
There's a multitude of articles explaining Gordon on the fourth line. Given our current center situation it's more than likely Gordon is going to be taking the bulk of any defensive zone activity, ultimately playing the second most minutes out of all the centers on this team. It's not the most ideal situation but it'll take a load off guys like Nuge and Draisaitl.

RisingSun is offline  
Old
08-19-2014, 12:52 AM
  #718
488fitter
Registered User
 
488fitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,276
vCash: 210
OT but this is one of the busier threads...

Was listening to 630ched on my drive up north and at about 7:45pm Reid Wilkins mentioned not to be surprised to see an Oilers press conference tomorrow that has nothing to do with Schultz's contract. Any ideas what it could be about? Either I heard wrong (my buddy heard the same thing) or something is up.

488fitter is offline  
Old
08-19-2014, 01:11 AM
  #719
millpoo
Registered User
 
millpoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: ST. A
Posts: 1,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 488fitter View Post
OT but this is one of the busier threads...

Was listening to 630ched on my drive up north and at about 7:45pm Reid Wilkins mentioned not to be surprised to see an Oilers press conference tomorrow that has nothing to do with Schultz's contract. Any ideas what it could be about? Either I heard wrong (my buddy heard the same thing) or something is up.
Brownlee mentioned earlier today that we will likely hear something about the 30th anniversary and the celebration of the 1984 Stanley Cup winning team.

Quote:
Robin Brownlee
@Robin_Brownlee
Expect some news about the Oiler 30-year reunion Jim Matheson has been writing about in the next day or so.

millpoo is offline  
Old
08-19-2014, 01:18 AM
  #720
488fitter
Registered User
 
488fitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,276
vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by millpoo View Post
Brownlee mentioned earlier today that we will likely hear something about the 30th anniversary and the celebration of the 1984 Stanley Cup winning team.
Meh. Thanks for clearing that up.

488fitter is offline  
Old
08-19-2014, 03:36 AM
  #721
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,556
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Gazdic, while no bum, is not a very good NHLer. But I'm not completely against having him on the team as purely a depth player.

Also, don't know why Gordon is your 4th line centre, he's a third line C who's taking big face offs, playing 15 hard minutes against opposing teams first and second lines... this is not the role of a fourth line player.
Well our centres are Hopkins, LD, Gordon and one of Lander or Acrobello.

I imagine we'll see Gordon take a fair number of defensive zone face offs away from the others.

At least that's what I'd be doing if I were the coach.

thadd is offline  
Old
08-19-2014, 03:37 AM
  #722
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,556
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Or you double shift guys in Gazdic's place, problem solved.
Heh try the opposite. Give him a shift on each line each period and make sure he's giving everyone the death stare while he's running around.

thadd is offline  
Old
08-19-2014, 03:48 AM
  #723
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,426
vCash: 500
Gazdic isn't going to be an 82 game player. People have to remember that.

A full roster is (usually) 14 F, 7 D and 2G... so Gazdic is going to spend a fair amount of time in the press box when they play games versus many of the Eastern teams or in Western games where the other team doesn't have face-punching goons on the menu for the game.

Like it or not Gazdic and his type are still an element in the NHL... some may want that gone from the game but obviously there is that type of player still in the game (although it's somewhat declining and diminishing more each year).

I don't mind Gazdic as a #13/#14 option... it's the Joensuu type player that is more useless imo (Jones was in that group last year as well and is gone now).

Joensuu is a guy who isn't a goon... and should be able to play 5-10 minutes of respectable hockey but really doesn't do anything of significance out there. At least Gazdic has a role and plays very limited minutes and DOES what he's supposed to.

nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
08-19-2014, 04:14 AM
  #724
Pekka Rinne
Registered User
 
Pekka Rinne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Red Deer
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Gazdic isn't going to be an 82 game player. People have to remember that.

A full roster is (usually) 14 F, 7 D and 2G... so Gazdic is going to spend a fair amount of time in the press box when they play games versus many of the Eastern teams or in Western games where the other team doesn't have face-punching goons on the menu for the game.

Like it or not Gazdic and his type are still an element in the NHL... some may want that gone from the game but obviously there is that type of player still in the game (although it's somewhat declining and diminishing more each year).

I don't mind Gazdic as a #13/#14 option... it's the Joensuu type player that is more useless imo (Jones was in that group last year as well and is gone now).

Joensuu is a guy who isn't a goon... and should be able to play 5-10 minutes of respectable hockey but really doesn't do anything of significance out there. At least Gazdic has a role and plays very limited minutes and DOES what he's supposed to.
this. people need to get this

Pekka Rinne is offline  
Old
08-19-2014, 07:28 AM
  #725
oilinblood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,701
vCash: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Well our centres are Hopkins, LD, Gordon and one of Lander or Acrobello.

I imagine we'll see Gordon take a fair number of defensive zone face offs away from the others.

At least that's what I'd be doing if I were the coach.
That doesnt mean putting him with plugs though.
He fared pretty well for points when he was getting decent players to play with at the beginning of the year...and i cant say anyone felt they werent getting lots of touches with him.

I would think youd want to do more than have Gordon win a back check...a face off and then throw pucks away to crap linemates. I just dont understand it myself. Just because he is the centre on the line doesnt mean you cant have offense from it and have to give up. But that is essentially what will happen with hendricks and scrub with him.

Just because you want three scoring lines doesnt mean you want them to bleed chances or let your wingers get tied up in a defensive zone attack.

Oh and if only one guy is handling all defensive draws...count on his shoulder giving out by january.

As an opposing coach i love it. Gordon and plugs...i send out my best players...even forwards as dmen. No risks. They wont be able to do anything if they get the puck anyways. Then my beasts are ready to drive hall and eberle and yak through the glass. Well rested. Id also make gordon a target...especially if i am a div rival. Nail his shoulders every chance. Dont even need to pay attention to that line or give them any respect. Please send them out lots:-)

Now, what does work? Put different scorers on one of the other wings, switch them up throughout the game...then you actually might get respect rather than a drewling opposing coach.

One month and a bit before we see for sure.


Last edited by oilinblood: 08-19-2014 at 07:38 AM.
oilinblood is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.