Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2014, 03:47 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 500
I want us to have Morrissey and Enstrom

I posted this in the IceCaps thread but it can help here:

Last edited by garret9: 08-17-2014 at 04:08 AM.
Old
08-17-2014, 09:28 AM
ps241
.915 please Steve

vCash: 50
Having a look at next years draft and any team that misses the playoffs should be getting a heck of a player. I think there are three at the top of the draft but it is pretty loaded.

If we make the playoffs this season that would be great, if we miss the playoffs we are getting a really nice asset.

Old
08-17-2014, 09:52 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Having a look at next years draft and any team that misses the playoffs should be getting a heck of a player. I think there are three at the top of the draft but it is pretty loaded.

If we make the playoffs this season that would be great, if we miss the playoffs we are getting a really nice asset.
So is everyone else that misses the playoffs.

Hard to have 'our guy' consistently outperform others in order to creep up the standings with our draft and develop strategy.

Still hoping for a top 5 or 6 pick, rather than 12, ps.

Old
08-17-2014, 09:59 AM
truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I want us to have Morrissey and Enstrom

I posted this in the IceCaps thread but it can help here:

Toby is 84 assists away from the Kovi's franchise mark. I suspect he gets there.

Old
08-17-2014, 10:32 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post
Haha, yep. We are certainly shallow on the left and I don't think Toby is going anywhere. As it is, we're betting a lot on Morrissey.
Why does everybody keep saying we are shallow on the left? We MAY lack quality on the left but we certainly have quantity (depth?). Left side: Toby, Morrissey, Clitsome, Stuart, Pardy, Ellerby, Melchiori, Chiarot. I count 8. I could add Brouillette & O'Neil for completeness.
Right side: Bogo, Trouba, Postma, Kichton. Four, that's it and the last 2 are just as weak as most of the lefties. If we put Buff back on D the right side looks a lot better but still far from deep.

Old
08-17-2014, 10:39 AM
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net

vCash: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
Why does everybody keep saying we are shallow on the left? We MAY lack quality on the left but we certainly have quantity (depth?). Left side: Toby, Morrissey, Clitsome, Stuart, Pardy, Ellerby, Melchiori, Chiarot. I count 8. I could add Brouillette & O'Neil for completeness.
Right side: Bogo, Trouba, Postma, Kichton. Four, that's it and the last 2 are just as weak as most of the lefties. If we put Buff back on D the right side looks a lot better but still far from deep.
Considering that our best LHD after Toby is Clitsome...

Old
08-17-2014, 10:58 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

True but so is everyone else. Of course it is nice to contemplate getting this or that good player but if everyone else does the same there has been no net gain. So far Chevy has appeared to have been able to draft above his rank. If he can continue to do that and by continuing to pick in the top 10 we may be gaining a little. Buffalo has, as far as I can tell 3 1st round picks and 3 2nd round picks in this very strong draft and a pretty good chance at 1 of those top 3. Never mind that they have some good young players on their roster and already have a good group of prospects, that's potentially a complete rebuild in one draft. They could still blow it but they are certainly improving their odds of gaining ground on the rest of the league.

Old
08-17-2014, 11:07 AM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
True but so is everyone else. Of course it is nice to contemplate getting this or that good player but if everyone else does the same there has been no net gain. So far Chevy has appeared to have been able to draft above his rank. If he can continue to do that and by continuing to pick in the top 10 we may be gaining a little. Buffalo has, as far as I can tell 3 1st round picks and 3 2nd round picks in this very strong draft and a pretty good chance at 1 of those top 3. Never mind that they have some good young players on their roster and already have a good group of prospects, that's potentially a complete rebuild in one draft. They could still blow it but they are certainly improving their odds of gaining ground on the rest of the league.
100% agree.

I was in a hurry when I was posting or I would have added that the other teams that miss the playoffs will be in the same boat. Buffalo could seperate themselves for the next era with this draft. They are getting 3 drafts worth of 1st and 2nd round picks this year

Old
08-17-2014, 11:07 AM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
By playing crappy, near un-watchable hockey for 2+ years. I commend them for having the guts to completely revamp their lineup in a short period of time, but what the fans have had to put up with on ice hasn't been pretty.

From the Jets standpoint: with the backfill happening, I hope to see some of the older assets converted into prospects/picks at a point that won't leave massive holes in the lineup.

Old
08-17-2014, 11:17 AM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
So is everyone else that misses the playoffs.

Hard to have 'our guy' consistently outperform others in order to creep up the standings with our draft and develop strategy.

Still hoping for a top 5 or 6 pick, rather than 12, ps.
Yea I responded to this point already but I do agree. Those that get the top 3 are getting better players that we are but I still like the crop for "all teams" that miss the playoffs. Hey maybe the gods will shine on us in the lottery draw

Old
08-17-2014, 11:28 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Yea I responded to this point already but I do agree. Those that get the top 3 are getting better players that we are but I still like the crop for "all teams" that miss the playoffs. Hey maybe the gods will shine on us in the lottery draw
Ya, and there will be players that miss, and even bust, there always is. Or even players that are pretty solid players, but don't live up to their draft placement. Guys like Bogo, Gudbranson, or Larsson (to date).

I think a top 3 pick is very unlikely. I'm hoping the guy they eventually take can fill an important role one day. The odds that player could become 'our' best at his position is higher than normal years. That's a plus, I suppose.

Old
08-17-2014, 01:50 PM
buggs
nanoo nanoo

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Why are some people so enamoured with trading Toby? He's our best RHD, far better than Bogo is right now.
Actually I'm not at all enamored of trading Toby. Until Morrissey passes him and he's got 6-12 months on his contract. Which is about three years from now. That coincides when a LHD drafted next year would likely be ready for significant minutes if he's a stud like Morrissey/Trouba. Toby would be 32 at that point. Neither old nor young, so we could retain him or move him.

The post you quoted was a one liner random thought after a day of golf and drinking.

Old
08-17-2014, 02:01 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Considering that our best LHD after Toby is Clitsome...
Well I think it is Morrissey but that remains to be seen. Assuming Clitsome is healthy he is an adequate 2LHD until Morrissey is ready and then he is a better than average 3LHD IMO.

On the right side we can say that after Bogo our best RHD is Postma. Does that sound better than what you said? Maybe, but how about looking at what is next? There is Kichton (who I like as a 3RHD someday) and noooobodyyy at all. A great emptiness until Glover who may turn out to be a great pick but is just too far away to influence this point at this time. I think our RHD is scary shallow unless Buff is put back there.

Old
08-17-2014, 02:05 PM
StronGeer

vCash: 1337
Quote:
That's the problem though.

I prefer to look at it as how many players have proven to competently play at whichever pairing in the NHL. I'm really not concerned with AHL defencemen, since my concern is with the Jets. When they get called up, they are rarely more than a sheltered 6/7 D.

1st pairing:
  • RHD: Byfuglien, Bogosian, Trouba
  • LHD: Enstrom
2nd pairing:
  • RHD: B, B, T
  • LHD: E, Clitsome, Stuart (kinda)
3rd pairing:
  • RHD: B, B, T, Postma
  • LHD: E, S, C, Pardy, Ellerby

So yes, right now we have more NHL defencemen who are lefties than righties. However, RHD is top heavy and LHD is bottom heavy. If we get an unlucky injury on the left (Enstrom), then immediately we have someone playing above their heads or someone on their off side. In addition, Stuart ends up on your second pair if Clitsome or Enstrom go down, and he is well below average in that role.

If there is a high level injury on the right, that's ok, we're still fielding players comfortable in their responsibility. Even if TWO of BBT goes down, you now only have a 2nd pairing guy playing above his head. Much less significant than having a guy taking top minutes he can't competently take.

Old
08-17-2014, 02:17 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
100% agree.

I was in a hurry when I was posting or I would have added that the other teams that miss the playoffs will be in the same boat. Buffalo could seperate themselves for the next era with this draft. They are getting 3 drafts worth of 1st and 2nd round picks this year
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
By playing crappy, near un-watchable hockey for 2+ years. I commend them for having the guts to completely revamp their lineup in a short period of time, but what the fans have had to put up with on ice hasn't been pretty.

From the Jets standpoint: with the backfill happening, I hope to see some of the older assets converted into prospects/picks at a point that won't leave massive holes in the lineup.
Almost makes me wish we had done the same thing 2 years ago. ALMOST makes me want to do it now but not quite. 2 years from now I might be wishing we had done it now though. That crap in between can be hard to take (been there, done that with Jets 1.0 among others) but the anticipation would be great. It would be one of those situations where the journey is better the the destination. My best experiences in sports have been watching 'my team' gradually build from doormat to championship contender.

Old
08-17-2014, 03:35 PM
EastRiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
As of right now, I like Barzal and Zacha a lot. Not counting McGretzky and co.

I am intrigued to see how Paul Bittner and Jordan Greenway make out this year, as they are big boys with some tools (as is Zacha).
Haven't followed many of the 2015 prospects other than the top 2, but Barzal is one that I'd be interested in next year.

Old
08-18-2014, 01:39 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post
That's the problem though.

I prefer to look at it as how many players have proven to competently play at whichever pairing in the NHL. I'm really not concerned with AHL defencemen, since my concern is with the Jets. When they get called up, they are rarely more than a sheltered 6/7 D.

1st pairing:
  • RHD: Byfuglien, Bogosian, Trouba
  • LHD: Enstrom
2nd pairing:
  • RHD: B, B, T
  • LHD: E, Clitsome, Stuart (kinda)
3rd pairing:
  • RHD: B, B, T, Postma
  • LHD: E, S, C, Pardy, Ellerby

So yes, right now we have more NHL defencemen who are lefties than righties. However, RHD is top heavy and LHD is bottom heavy. If we get an unlucky injury on the left (Enstrom), then immediately we have someone playing above their heads or someone on their off side. In addition, Stuart ends up on your second pair if Clitsome or Enstrom go down, and he is well below average in that role.

If there is a high level injury on the right, that's ok, we're still fielding players comfortable in their responsibility. Even if TWO of BBT goes down, you now only have a 2nd pairing guy playing above his head. Much less significant than having a guy taking top minutes he can't competently take.
I agree. I am really just taking issue with the way it is being expressed. It is more than semantics (IMO) because the continual repetition of the 'we lack LHD depth' mantra builds up an unrealistic demand to acquire more LHD when the truth is we really only need 1 more top 4 LHD and 0 more 3rd pair LHD. It is getting a little ahead of the situation but I think we are all (almost) pretty confident that Morrissey will be that guy next year if not this year. I count Buff as a D only if an injury pushes him back there until such time as he gets moved back. That said I would LIKE to have 1 more on each side who would not be out of place moving up to 2nd pair if needed but Morrissey filling out our top 4 meets the immediate urgent need.

Old
08-18-2014, 08:56 PM
NBjet

I may go watch young Mr. Ehlers play an exhibition game in Saint John this Friday, and if I do I will report back here. Perhaps he will tell me how much weight he's gained over the summer so far! If he can find decent line mates, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2+ pt per game pace this year...

PS - I just noticed that he's listed at 176 on the Mooseheads' site... Interesting.

Last edited by NBjet: 08-18-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old
08-18-2014, 09:58 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBjet View Post
I may go watch young Mr. Ehlers play an exhibition game in Saint John this Friday, and if I do I will report back here. Perhaps he will tell me how much weight he's gained over the summer so far! If he can find decent line mates, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2+ pt per game pace this year...

PS - I just noticed that he's listed at 176 on the Mooseheads' site... Interesting.
And, according to some the only reason he doesn't make the Jets THIS year is because he weighs<170ish. Hmmmm.

Last edited by Mortimer Snerd: 08-19-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old
08-18-2014, 10:16 PM
EastRiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBjet View Post

Look forward to you report on Ehlers.

Old
08-19-2014, 12:11 AM
Hobby Bull

Isn't it about time E. Pasquale was removed from the rolling banner of Jets' Prospects at the top of the page?

Old
08-19-2014, 08:58 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Hellebuyck has a nice Jets/IceCaps themed mask for the coming season...

source: http://dielairbrush.ca/masks/connor-hellebuyck/

Old
08-19-2014, 09:11 AM
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net

vCash: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by rguy56 View Post
Isn't it about time E. Pasquale was removed from the rolling banner of Jets' Prospects at the top of the page?
That gets updated once a year around the start of the season.

Old
08-19-2014, 09:19 AM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
-- BROUILLARD, Nikolas D 19 5'10" 150
-- DUPUY, Jean LW 19 6'3" 194
-- FREIBERGS, Ralfs¹ D 23 5'11" 192
-- HICKMAN, Justin C 20 6'3" 209
-- WALKER, Ben C 21 6'0" 192

Apparently these players have been invited to training camp

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3#post88984733

Old
08-19-2014, 09:24 AM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
Oh nice, I was hoping we would sign Hickman to a minor league deal. He is a big,mean two way center.

Dupuy is a bit of a tough up and down winger

Brouillard is an offensive D man on the smaller side

Walker was an ok player in the WHL bit on the small side

Closed Thread