HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Jamie McBain's landing spot?

Old
08-17-2014, 07:13 PM
Man Bear Pig

vCash: 500
If we deal Franson I could see him being brought in as our extra D. I'd give him a camp invite.

Man Bear Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2014, 07:36 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Came in thinking this! There's obviously some skill there and he is rather big. At least some time on forward could be the right thing for him to reinvent himself.
This isn't done very often for some reason. I think he could be either a Burns or MAB

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2014, 07:44 PM
Girgensons28

Miss you Sekera.

Girgensons28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2014, 08:39 PM
Ron C.

JT Compher better be decent, because Carolina looks to have won the Sekera deal. I wonder if the deal for #4 overall was legit (Sekera + #8 for #4 overall)? Compher + Risto+ McBain instead of Monahan?

Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2014, 01:33 AM
biturbo19

I heard some chatter about McBain heading to Europe with ZSC Lions? Who knows though, wouldn't really surprise me.

I do think his "issues" are a bit overstated, but often it seems to take a cooling off period of a solid year in Europe for teams to really value guys like McBain as a "reclamation project". McBain to me, is a guy who has consistently being shuffled into a role above his station due to playing on teams with poor blueline depth/too much youth and the fact that every now and then he flashes intriguing upside that teams want to tap into.

If you just look at him as a potential sheltered bottom-pairing defenceman play sub 17 mins a night sort of "PP and offensive minutes" type of role, a la Nick Leddy...i think you'd have a decent enough player, with a coveted RHS.

I'd be happy to see the Canucks sign him to a cheap deal, or even a camp invite at this point.

Maybe i just only caught him on his good days with Carolina and Buffalo?

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2014, 01:51 AM
Reznor

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
I heard some chatter about McBain heading to Europe with ZSC Lions? Who knows though, wouldn't really surprise me.
Haven't seen anything on this and Zurich already has three foreign defensemen (M-A Bergeron, Derek Smith and Tabacek). So if they take another foreign player, I guess it will be a forward. But I wouldn't be surprise if another swiss team is interested.

Reznor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2014, 06:09 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:

I do think his "issues" are a bit overstated, but often it seems to take a cooling off period of a solid year in Europe for teams to really value guys like McBain as a "reclamation project". McBain to me, is a guy who has consistently being shuffled into a role above his station due to playing on teams with poor blueline depth/too much youth and the fact that every now and then he flashes intriguing upside that teams want to tap into.

If you just look at him as a potential sheltered bottom-pairing defenceman play sub 17 mins a night sort of "PP and offensive minutes" type of role, a la Nick Leddy...i think you'd have a decent enough player, with a coveted RHS.

I'd be happy to see the Canucks sign him to a cheap deal, or even a camp invite at this point.

Maybe i just only caught him on his good days with Carolina and Buffalo?
What do you think Buffalo did with him? He played behind Myers, Tallinder, Ehrhoff, and Pysyk (until he was returned to the AHL). He faced the softest competition of anyone on our blue line, including the multitude of rookies that saw time throughout the year. He got plenty of chances on the PP. He just sucks.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2014, 07:17 AM
Richi

Quote:
That was before they have signed Derek Smith. I guess there was some sort of competition (contract-wise) for the spot and the ZSC Lions chose Smith in the end.

I think itīs highly unlikely that heīll go to Switzerland because heīs too expensive for some teams and the ones who could afford him arenīt looking for a defenseman.

Richi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2014, 07:24 AM
tony d
gatorade

I think a team desperate for a defenseman will give him a training camp contract, Colorado perhaps?

08-18-2014, 07:54 AM
Skip2myBordyloo
Fallin for Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I think a team desperate for a defenseman will give him a training camp contract, Colorado perhaps?
The Avalanche have 9 defenseman signed as of right now, 10 when Barrie signs, it won't be us.

Skip2myBordyloo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2014, 08:20 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Again though, it's not like he's some kind of phenom who will justify that kind of roster dynamic. He could be used that way, but it would be in the context of a team that had no better options on the table.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2014, 11:11 AM
Boom Boom Aho
Sooo Good

Think about this. Look who Carolina had on defense the last 2-3 years and look at who Buffalo had this past year and still, neither team still wanted McBain, even in a limited, sheltered role.

Boom Boom Aho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2014, 12:54 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Think about this. Look who Carolina had on defense the last 2-3 years and look at who Buffalo had this past year and still, neither team still wanted McBain, even in a limited, sheltered role.
C'mon, he's better than Thomas Frik'n Hickey and Calgary could certainly use the depth.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2014, 01:01 PM
Boom Boom Aho
Sooo Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
C'mon, he's better than Thomas Frik'n Hickey
Highly debatable.

Quote:
and Calgary could certainly use the depth.
Maybe, as I'm not that familiar with Calgary...but if it was a certainty they could use depth like McBain, I would think he would be signed already.

Old
08-19-2014, 01:55 AM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
It's a double-edged sword though. That fact cuts both ways. It also means these teams were never in a position to properly "shelter" him behind quality depth.

Obviously a gamble that any team has the depth to do that right now, but i'd say it's easily a risk worth wagering a camp invite, if not a cheap 1-year NHL deal.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 05:59 AM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Detroit needs a RHD I can't believe that they're not looking at McBain.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 08:31 AM
Boom Boom Aho
Sooo Good

Quote:
It's a double-edged sword though. That fact cuts both ways. It also means these teams were never in a position to properly "shelter" him behind quality depth.
Teams don't want to have to "shelter" a guy unless they have a good reason to. If he was an offensive weapon (a la MAB), or if he was a young, developing DMAN (a la Morgan Reilly), or if they were stuck with his contract, etc....then teams are ok with sheltering a guy. But McBain hasn't shown he brings enough in other areas to deserve being sheltered.

Quote:
Obviously a gamble that any team has the depth to do that right now, but i'd say it's easily a risk worth wagering a camp invite, if not a cheap 1-year NHL deal.
I think it's telling that he doesn't have an NHL deal after almost 2 months of free agency. Either McBain or his agent is holding out for a higher paying deal (overvaluing his worth) or nobody wants him even at a bargain price.

Old
08-19-2014, 02:05 PM
McSuper
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siludin View Post
Seems like a guy that was as highly touted as they come even a couple of years ago. I know he struggled in Buffalo but certainly he still has some value. Of the remaining UFAs, he led his team in ice time. He'd be useful as a 5th/6th guy.

What type of contract do you think he'll receive?
I am not sure what the cable deals are where he is living . I got the 1 year deal and got a free tv . I think that is the type of contract he can get . Then he can land his a$$ on the couch to watch NHL hockey

McSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 02:11 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Detroit should give McBain a camp Invite at least. We need a RHD and it could'nt hurt on a 1 year cheap deal and trade Kindl.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 05:50 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C. View Post
JT Compher better be decent, because Carolina looks to have won the Sekera deal. I wonder if the deal for #4 overall was legit (Sekera + #8 for #4 overall)? Compher + Risto+ McBain instead of Monahan?
I thought it was obvious to everyone that Buffalo got fleeced?

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 05:55 PM
ZeroPT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Not really. They really wanted Compher and he has developed very very well so I can't see why Buffalo got "fleeced" before Compher even plays a game in the NHL.

ZeroPT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 06:52 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Only to people who didn't and don't understand Buffalo's motivation for the trade. It's possible Regier undervalued what he had in Sekera, and I do miss him, but it's more likely Regier didn't see him fitting into the rebuild or that Sekera himself didn't want to stick around for it. But more importantly, the Sabres wanted Compher bad. They had him graded as a 1st rounder and were sure he wouldn't still be there at 38. His development to date has been nothing but promising (led Michigan in scoring as a freshman, was B1G's freshman of the year, the only freshman to crack either of the regular All-Star teams, and the only unanimous decision amongst voters for the all-freshman All-Star team; missed the WJC's because of injuring himself in practice blocking a shot, but it sounds like USA is looking to him to be a leader on their WJC team this year). It's a short-term loss for sure, but Buffalo is obviously a team thinking in more long-term at this point, and they got a player they really wanted. Now they just need to be right about him.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2014, 04:08 PM
THall4

I can see 2 options for McBain.

Either he is offered a camp invite by detroit..or is signed to a cheap deal with Calgary.

THall4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2014, 04:43 PM
Boom Boom Aho
Sooo Good

Quote:
If you want to base a trade off 1 year, then yes. But we won't know for a few years how this works out. For instance, let's say the Canes don't make the playoffs again this year, Sekera walks as a UFA and then Compher turns into a good 2nd/3rd line player for the Sabres down the road (when they are done with the rebuild). If it plays out that way (and it could), then Buffalo in no way got fleeced.

Heck, if Compher turns into a 2nd/3rd line player down the road, it's a good move for Buffalo no matter what happens to Sekera as having Sekera on the Sabres last year and this year would have only served to worsen their draft position. He wouldn't have put them into the playoffs.

Old
08-20-2014, 07:23 PM
Bps21*

vCash:
McBain was not what buffalo traded for. How THAT wasn't obvious to everyone does not speak highly for those it was not obvious to. They had just drafted Ristolainen and Zadorov that day to go with Pysyk, Myers, McCabe...and at the time Ehrhoff and Mcnabb. Traded from surplus for the right to draft Compher. I know asking people to wait for the guy they picked to at least make it to his sophomore year of college is a lot...but still...