HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Idea : Sign Brière to a 1 year 8M contract (or likewise)

Old
04-12-2007, 08:39 PM
IcE ColD

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
I'm thinking about it, and our team really needs Brière. The problem is that we have problems to sign the top UFAs. Here is my idea : lure Brière with a one year insane contract, give him the most he can get for one year. If we miss the playoffs again, we can trade Brière for prospects, and if we end up with a competitive team, if Brière likes it here, resign him to a 4 year normal contract the year after. He will get used to Montréal, and if we have success next year, Brière will see how cool it is to play in Montréal. Dump all the dead weight in Hamilton or through the waivers, and you have enough $$ for that team.

Lats-Brière-Kost
Ryder-Koivu-Higgins
Milroy-Grabovski-Perezhogin
Lapierre-Chipchura-Kost

Markov-Komi
Souray-Streit
O'Bryne-Emelin

Kovalev, Sammy, Bouillon, Dandy, Begin (About 10M a year saved, counting the salary of the rookies) on waivers or to Hamilton. A lot of young players take their place and develop, and if we manage to make the playoffs next year, if our young gunz progress well and if we manage to sign Brière the year after to a conventionnal deal, we have a very good team in two years.

So basically, you overpay for a center, you bring in 5 players from Hamilton/Europe (Milroy, O'Byrne, Emelin, Grabovsky, Chipchura), you have two 2nd years guys (Lapierre, Latendresse) and Kosty who hasn't played half a season and expect to win another Stanley Cup before the team's centennial, is that right?

IMO, it's laughable. Plus, Gainey would so get crucified for doing that. Especially after having publicly said that team wasn't in rebuilding mode anymore.

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 08:58 PM
znk

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 09:43 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
By giving Briere a 8 mill contract, you give him the idea hes worth that much not only in the short run but also in the long run.

Plus as many said, players want long term deals.

Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Sportacus
:)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamon View Post
No we won't. Toronto will do something stupider, it's their nature.

Hopefully it isn't a 4-year 12 mill contract to Battaglia...

04-12-2007, 10:44 PM
wade

8 million per year
97,560.98$ per game
32,520.33$ per period
1,626.02$ per minute
27.10$ per second

all this for a player who has only started to have a little more than a ppg on a very talented roster starting last year

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post
I too like the ingenuity, but the problem is that there's a reason no one has done this before

Guaranteed money is a pretty crucial aspect of any professional sports contract. Especially in a sport like hockey where a single injury can end/de-value your career. So i dont think a guy like Briere can be bought by giving him an extra 2 mil this year when another team would lock him up for 4-5 years at 6 mil. It just isn't smart business on Briere's part to put his career up in the air at this point (also considering the disastrous results playing in montreal could yield)

so while its a good idea on paper...in reality it just doesn't seem like a viable option
Just one word: Insurance

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Habs

lol, so much for the new CBA stopping the overpayment of players. Give me 8 million to spend on 3 players, I'd take that any day of the week over Briere.

He would never excel in Montreal, he'd be a 50 point player.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 10:53 PM
hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
lol, so much for the new CBA stopping the overpayment of players. Give me 8 million to spend on 3 players, I'd take that any day of the week over Briere.

He would never excel in Montreal, he'd be a 50 point player.
You're right but he has a CH tattoo (so says the media). If Buffalo doesn't resign him, there will be a pressure campaign for Gainey to sign him, even if it means overpaying.

hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 11:16 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
If we can't get the players that we NEED to improve our team via UFA signings, then there is another way. We could always trade for them.

Personally, I'd rather see Gainey stand pat than bring a player that we do not need to Mtl.

And I don't subscribe to the Briere bandwagon. Another small forward. A small forward that just had a career year on the most succesful offensive team in the league.

I'm just very wary(?) of players coming off career years in their UFA season.
The reason I would like Brière is because Latendresse and Kostsitsyn, two possible future 1st line players, will improve a lot more with him than with Plekanek, Lapierre or even Grabovski. The 8M one year deal was an idea, but I doubt it happens. But I have to agree, my first option, with the habs, would be to "rebuild" in the sense of trading up to draft, getting a future superstar and let the young players develop. I wanted Cherepanov, I still wish we could draft him, but I would also like to see Kane...

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 11:56 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo View Post
You're right but he has a CH tattoo (so says the media). If Buffalo doesn't resign him, there will be a pressure campaign for Gainey to sign him, even if it means overpaying.
This team doesn't need "one" player to fix its problems. It needs a few players to fill the voids we have had for years.

1. Size on the wing.
2. Shore up the defence
3. Grit.

Briere brings nothing of the above. He's a good hockey player, that is important on certain teams, who already have the tools in place. Buffalo was a perfect fit for him, Montreal wouldn't be.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 12:00 AM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cole View Post
Hopefully it isn't a 4-year 12 mill contract to Battaglia...
Well he did score like 10 goals this year so he should find himself on the top line next year, Peddie will see to it

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 12:51 AM
F. Duchemin

Send a message via MSN to F. Duchemin
If a guy like Bertuzzi or Briere want a 1 year contract...im all for that! We can trade them at deadline if it dont work out! 1 year contract is nice!

But i prefer 1 year for bertuzzi and long term for briere.

F. Duchemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 04:14 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

How about Gainey find in himself some imagination and come up with trade proposals. The UFA avenue is not the only thing that exist to get players. I think a lot of disapointed elemited teams will be game for trades next summer.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote