HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ottawa trades Brooks Laich and 2005 2nd round pick to Washington for Peter Bondra

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2004, 06:34 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan18

Redden plays with Alf on the 1st unit, Bondra was brought in to play the point on the 2nd unit with Chara. Doesn't improve their strengths? They get another goal scorer to add to the top offensive unit in the league, that is improving their strength.

Their weakness? Oh yes the ever-blown out of proportion grit factor. They added Simpson and Ray (doubt he will play much) and are apparantly going to have Varada, Fisher, and Volchenkov all back for the playoffs. Therefore the grit is actually better than the team who was 1 goal away from the Stanley Cup last season.

Laich is not overly gritty like alot of people are assuming. The guy is a decent prospect but will most likely only be a steady 3rd line player in this league.
Oh so the sens have no weaknesses, ok cool thx

Old
02-18-2004, 06:36 PM
sensfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji_ch
Oh so the sens have no weaknesses, ok cool thx
I'm not saying they have no weaknesses, just that the "grit" factor gets continuously blown out of proportion.

Old
02-18-2004, 07:02 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
I'm not saying they have no weaknesses, just that the "grit" factor gets continuously blown out of proportion.
And i'm just saying that the Sens really don't need help at offence, much less on the power-play, and there are other things that could be adressed before the 2nd power play unit

Old
02-18-2004, 07:30 PM
PecaFan

Great deal for Ottawa. Can't believe some are saying "steep price", they gave up *nothing*. The vast majority of prospects and picks turn into average players, the likelihood of this turning into some massive one sided deal for Washington in the future is extremely low.

As a Canucks fan, I'm envious. Would be nice to have management that desired the Cup more than the almighty dollar.

Old
02-18-2004, 07:37 PM
Love Machine

Send a message via MSN to Love Machine Send a message via Yahoo to Love Machine
Bondra To Sens!!! It's Official!!!

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/

Last edited by Love Machine: 02-18-2004 at 07:41 PM.
Old
02-18-2004, 07:38 PM
Love Machine

Send a message via MSN to Love Machine Send a message via Yahoo to Love Machine
Traded for Brooks Laich and a 2nd in 05

Old
02-18-2004, 08:24 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Quote:
And i'm just saying that the Sens really don't need help at offence, much less on the power-play, and there are other things that could be adressed before the 2nd power play unit
Yeah, they should have addressed the weakness at left wing...oh, wait, they did.

Old
02-18-2004, 08:24 PM
Other Dave

Quote:
Therefore the grit is actually better than the team who was 1 goal away from the Stanley Cup last season.
2 goals, let's not exaggerate.

Other Dave

Old
02-18-2004, 09:39 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
I don't like this from Ottawa Persp, they are even softer now.
Not really. They didn't trade a gritty guy in their lineup to get Bondra. And Peter is grittier than many of their skill players.

I do agree that he is not what this team needed. But it's not like they traded a gritty guy for a skirt-wearer in the Eric Daze mold :p

Old
02-19-2004, 12:03 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Not really. They didn't trade a gritty guy in their lineup to get Bondra. And Peter is grittier than many of their skill players.

I do agree that he is not what this team needed. But it's not like they traded a gritty guy for a skirt-wearer in the Eric Daze mold :p

Eric Daze wears skirts? Must go nice with those black pumps he wears to road games.

02-19-2004, 12:04 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Man, hope you have a life preserver, because your drowning in denial.

How's that saying go? You can't be too rich, too thin, or have too much offense!

Sens added a legit 1st line sniper on LW (something they lacked), and it didn't cost them anything off their roster. How can that be a bad thing? Bondra is supposedly good in the room, and isn't a soft cherry picker like some are trying to make him out to be.

Bondra might not be the player he was 5 years ago, but he is still hands down better than any other LW on the Sens. It gives the Sens another weapon, and that's never a bad thing.

Laich is supposed to be a good 3rd liner. Combine the Sens organizational depth, and the very young age of their "core" players, and this was a great deal from them IMO.

Old
02-19-2004, 12:12 AM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by borro
Bondra is a major add for the Sens. He is by no means a power forward, but he sticks up for himself. He is not a "soft Euro." What he is is streaky. When he is on he dominates a game. It makes him very dangerous in the playoffs. He and Bonk will be awesome together. I could see Bondra playing 3-5 more years-3 at a high level.

Getting Bondra without giving up a 1st????? That guy is a friggin GENIUS! If Bondra had to be traded we needed a DEFENSIVE PROSPECT! No 1st and no Defensive prospect? That Muckler guy could sell Maple Leafs in Toronto! McPhee prpbably got ordered to sell. Leonsis is simply the worst owner I have encountered in pro sports.

Yeah, I agree. Ridiculous that GMGM couldn't get any help on the back end. Even just getting freaking Pothier would have helped things a TON next year. Now we have Boumedienne or doig in a top-4 role. just totally pathetic. Great job George.

Old
02-19-2004, 12:14 AM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Dave
Pat Eaves? Mike Fisher? I say Laich won't be missed at all, and that the Sens can afford to trade every single prospect currently in the system. Remember Ottawa's still the third youngest team in the league.

Other Dave (getting ready to be lynched for saying this on a prospect site)

Yeah, I agree. The Sens are young, all their important players are under 30, and they have a lot of good players under 25(Hossa, Havlat, Spezza, Vermette, Volchenkov, Rachunek, ~Phillips, i'm probably forgetting some).

I'm definitely rooting for the Sens to come out of the east, they have a lot of classy guys(other than Havlat).

Old
02-19-2004, 01:32 AM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Horner
As a Leaf fan after this trade I think that Fergie has been given an opportunity to secure the future of the Leafs, it's time to put our golden oldies on the block for the future of Leaf hockey.

Nieuy- 2nd and a prospect
Roberts- 1st and a prospect
Belfour -2nd and a prospect
Marchment- 3rd
Reichel- 4th
Renberg-4th
Fitzgerald-5th
Klee- 2nd and 4th

I may be over evaluating what we could get but I'm a Leaf fan, what do the follower's of other teams think, and if your team is in the playoff or Cup race what would you part with for one of these vailiant warriors to help your team to the next level.
1) Yes, you are most definatley over valuing.

2) Why on earth would you want to trade away these guys when your team has almost as good of a shot as any to win the cup????The Leafs have been playing great hockey and have been at the top, or near the top of the East all season!

You want to start a rebuilding process 2 months before the playoffs in a season which your team is considered one of the front runners?
I'm sorry but I find that logic insane.

Old
02-19-2004, 01:58 AM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Obviously you are not familiar with Horner's work.

Old
02-19-2004, 02:04 AM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
Haha....no but I think I am starting to get the picture....

Old
02-19-2004, 01:15 PM
Capt Tuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan
Man, hope you have a life preserver, because your drowning in denial.

How's that saying go? You can't be too rich, too thin, or have too much offense!

Sens added a legit 1st line sniper on LW (something they lacked), and it didn't cost them anything off their roster. How can that be a bad thing? Bondra is supposedly good in the room, and isn't a soft cherry picker like some are trying to make him out to be.

Bondra might not be the player he was 5 years ago, but he is still hands down better than any other LW on the Sens. It gives the Sens another weapon, and that's never a bad thing.

Laich is supposed to be a good 3rd liner. Combine the Sens organizational depth, and the very young age of their "core" players, and this was a great deal from them IMO.
Awesome post! You never like to give up a good young prospect but Ottawa is loaded with good young core players. You have to give to receive and they got something they needed for something they could afford to give up.

Old
02-19-2004, 02:06 PM
Red Horner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_roland
Yeah, I agree. The Sens are young, all their important players are under 30, and they have a lot of good players under 25(Hossa, Havlat, Spezza, Vermette, Volchenkov, Rachunek, ~Phillips, i'm probably forgetting some).

I'm definitely rooting for the Sens to come out of the east, they have a lot of classy guys(other than Havlat).
The Leafs went out in the 1st rd last year, the Leafs are always good in Oct to Dec but when the going gets tough on the way to the playoffs the Leafs break down, their too old, your not that foolish to believe the old Leafs can win 4 playoff rds. And if the Leafs are so good according to you why am I over evauating what they could bring back in a Trade.

Old
02-19-2004, 02:10 PM
Red Horner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
I'd like to see some young players grow into stars like the people in Ottawa have, instead of some old mercenaries that were Stars 10 years ago for someone else.

Old
02-19-2004, 03:10 PM
Magnumteemu

holy jesus i think this is a astoundingly good pickup for the sens they are really making a scary push for lord stanley

Closed Thread