HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Cheechoo Injury

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2007, 08:45 PM
braindead

vCash: 500
What I see in the still frames is:

1. Cheechoo intentionally dragging his right leg in an effort to trip Hartnell.

2. Cheechoo intentionally headbutting Hartnell in the shoulder after he has him off balance.

3. In the last frame you can clearly see Hartnell collapsing to the ice with his perhaps broken arm dangling helplessly from the elbow.

4. If you look closely at the back of his helmet, you can see the hit curled Hartnell's hair.

Each of these deliberate acts happened well behind the play. Cheechoo should be suspended for as long as Hartnell has curly hair.

Disclaimer: This post is intended as a gentle spoof on those that use still frame photography to interpret live motion, with particularly emphasis for those that do so without seeing the video footage at any speed, much less full speed. I certify that I would be pissed if Jason Arnott had done this to Martin Erat in open ice and am not condoning the action of Scott Hartnell in any way..... if such action was intentional, mindless, malicious, careless or fails to comply with six sigma protocols (otherwise I condone his unrecognized gentleness, sensitivity, thoughtfulness and commitment to quality manufacturing). I also admit that I already knew Hartnell had curly hair and couldn't actually see it in the still frame. I also have knowingly used the wink smilie to indicate humor, even knowing that, when used in prior posts in other forums, it has failed to clearly and sufficiently identify humor..

Old
04-12-2007, 08:49 PM
off_the_shneid

I am a Sharks fan and I don't believe that it was intent to injure. Hartnell was going for a clean hit hit, and Cheechoo side-stepped it a little late. As Cheech moved, however, Hartnell moved his right knee as is evident in the picture above. The fact is that Hartnell kneed and elbowed Cheechoo. Cheech lost a tooth from the elbow and he sprained his knee. Did Hartnell intend to do this going into the hit? No. But when Cheechoo moved, he reacted and stuck out his knee, probably to slow him down. Luckily, Cheechoo lifted his skate just in time and avoided serious injury.

Bottom line: Hartnell stuck his knee out and Cheech was in a bad position and got injured.

Old
04-12-2007, 09:09 PM
Radulov for Czar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by off_the_shneid View Post
I am a Sharks fan and I don't believe that it was intent to injure. Hartnell was going for a clean hit hit, and Cheechoo side-stepped it a little late. As Cheech moved, however, Hartnell moved his right knee as is evident in the picture above. The fact is that Hartnell kneed and elbowed Cheechoo. Cheech lost a tooth from the elbow and he sprained his knee. Did Hartnell intend to do this going into the hit? No. But when Cheechoo moved, he reacted and stuck out his knee, probably to slow him down. Luckily, Cheechoo lifted his skate just in time and avoided serious injury.

Bottom line: Hartnell stuck his knee out and Cheech was in a bad position and got injured.
but there was no elbow.

Old
04-12-2007, 09:35 PM
ktf

Send a message via MSN to ktf
that was not a dirty hit at all when i saw the replay, i couldn't believe he got a major for it... he wont get suspended and shouldn't. thats what happens when you try and side step an open ice hit... and as i know from personal experience where i dragged my leg to trip someone... ya... it was my fault lol
and as for the elbow... liek soemone already said unless his arm can freakishly bend

Old
04-12-2007, 09:45 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
I see all these frame by frame photos popping up, as if Hartnell could slow down time, line up Cheechoo, and throw a bow and a knee to pre-targeted areas.

That thing happened in the blink of an eye. For all we know, Hartnell raised his knee to protect himself.
I was just going to say that. It was really Cheechoo that should have got a penalty for leading with his head. It really could have hurt Hartnell's elbow.

Old
04-13-2007, 01:51 AM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Everyone will have a different view on this, but this was Cheechoo's perspective posted on the SJ Sharks Team Site:

From SJS.com

"Sharks fans already have the cheap shot by Hartnell ingrained in their heads, but for those who missed it, Hartnell put a knee-on-knee hit on the Sharks leading goal scorer and, on the same play, hit Cheechoo in the face with his elbow, causing him to lose a tooth.

"I thought it was a little cheap," said Cheechoo. "The guy stuck his knee out. If he wouldn't have moved his leg, he would have missed me by five to six inches."
And did the missing front tooth come from the elbow or when Cheechoo's head hit the ice? "He got me with the elbow," said Cheechoo. "If you're going to hit me late, at least hit me (clean).""

Old
04-13-2007, 04:21 AM
J0e Th0rnton*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktf View Post
that was not a dirty hit at all when i saw the replay, i couldn't believe he got a major for it... he wont get suspended and shouldn't. thats what happens when you try and side step an open ice hit... and as i know from personal experience where i dragged my leg to trip someone... ya... it was my fault lol
and as for the elbow... liek soemone already said unless his arm can freakishly bend
Even without the elbow and knee, this hit was extremely illegal by any hockey judgement. He lined Cheechoo up from opposite bluelines, and took charging strides(5 to 7, when 4 is enough to book you for charging), and he was headhunting a guy without a puck. If you know you do not have the puck, and have not for 3 seconds, then you are aware that you are not allowed to be hit legally and most players skate with their guard down until the puck touches their stick.

Old
04-13-2007, 06:19 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
Wats with everyone saying elbow? If you watch the replay its clear that Hartnell did not elbow Chechoo in the face. I understand I would be pissed too if my leading scorer was out but take off the homer goggles.

Old
04-13-2007, 07:08 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Wasn't it Hartnell's right leg that had the broken foot? Would anyone that had just missed nearly 2 months with a broken foot, stick that foot out to hit someone with it intentionally?

Old
04-13-2007, 08:16 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Wasn't it Hartnell's right leg that had the broken foot? Would anyone that had just missed nearly 2 months with a broken foot, stick that foot out to hit someone with it intentionally?

no. Ive also yet to hear any TSN personnel or any other on air personalities outside of the SJ organization that thinks it was a dirty hit.

Do I think a suspension is justice - NO.

Old
04-13-2007, 09:06 AM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0e Th0rnton View Post
Even without the elbow and knee, this hit was extremely illegal by any hockey judgement. He lined Cheechoo up from opposite bluelines, and took charging strides(5 to 7, when 4 is enough to book you for charging), and he was headhunting a guy without a puck. If you know you do not have the puck, and have not for 3 seconds, then you are aware that you are not allowed to be hit legally and most players skate with their guard down until the puck touches their stick.
Scott Stevens disagrees.

Old
04-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Fraserburn

Send a message via MSN to Fraserburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
no. Ive also yet to hear any TSN personnel or any other on air personalities outside of the SJ organization that thinks it was a dirty hit.

Do I think a suspension is justice - NO.
The entire TSN Panel, The Entire Panel on Off The Record and every person outside of the Sharks organization thinks a suspension is not warranted

The 5 and a game was perfect according to them
and they all think that phantom elbow is ********

Roenick even went as far to do a live re-enactment of somebody hitting and pushing off.........it was an attempted hit gone back it was penalized and Nashville subsequently got scored on

game set match issue over
people are grasping at straws over this
when they should be talking about Radulov and Forsbergs play
or the outstanding work by SJ's 4th liners.........

Old
04-13-2007, 09:20 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I shudder to think what names Preds fans would get thrown at them if they were whining about a hit like this on one of the Preds on the Sharks board...

Old
04-13-2007, 11:25 AM
Thundermare

Quote:
Originally Posted by off_the_shneid View Post

From personnal experience playing hockey, when you go for a hit, it almost comes as a reflex to stick an arm or a knee. as if your brain aims on a target and when that target moves you don't want to miss or get caught of position.

But sticking a knee out at fast speed, is plain stupid, caused you can get seriously injured yourself doing so. I honestly don'T beleive that there was any attemp to injure, but just an unfortunate collision. Very sad for Cheechoo and I understand SJ fans reaction. It's normal to be mad when things like that happens ... specialy that it leaves the impression of voluntary thing

Last edited by Thundermare: 04-13-2007 at 11:32 AM.
Old
04-13-2007, 12:13 PM
The Big E

I'm a Wild fan, so all I want out of this series is for y'alls to pound the living begeezus out of each other for 7 games so that if we ever have to face either of your teams, y'all r banged up real good.

On a more serious note, when there is intent to injure and the hit occurs in the playoffs, I think that the offending player should be out for as long as the injured player.

Old
04-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

I guess its not an injury if he's skating correct its more like an "ouchie" ... at least he was reported by the local rag that he was skating this morning ... so good luck with getting a suspension now

Old
04-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Matsi
got paws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan McGiveaway View Post

(sorry, it deserved more then 12 emoticons)

Ya you're a funny guy... don't know what's so funny, guess you just have no idea

please go away...

Last edited by Matsi: 04-13-2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old
04-13-2007, 12:56 PM
PredDave

We can now add the title "big faker" to Cheechoo's resume...
The Cheechoo acting was all a ploy to get Hartnell suspended by the evil master Ron Wilson.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs..../70413027/1028

Quote:
Sharks forward Jonathan Cheechoo participated in his teamís morning skate today but said heíll have to assess how his right knee reacts this afternoon and pre-game before a determination is made if heíll play.

ďIt all depends on how it reacts this afternoon,Ē he said

Old
04-13-2007, 04:03 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredDave View Post
We can now add the title "big faker" to Cheechoo's resume...
The Cheechoo acting was all a ploy to get Hartnell suspended by the evil master Ron Wilson.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070413/SPORTS02/70413027/1028
Ahhhh yes. The old "have your best goal scorer fake an injury in the second period and never return to the game, so you can eliminate a marginal player with a suspension" trick. That Ron Wilson has all the angles covered. I wonder if Trotz learned anything from that. Maybe Karya will try the same ploy tonight?? Are you the same one that said Cheech should have received a penalty for hurting Hartnel's elbow?

Old
04-13-2007, 04:42 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Hartnell is a marginal player? He scored 22 goals in 64 games and he's marginal? A marginal powerforward maybe.

How many of the Sharks players have had back to back 20 goal seasons? How many have averaged as many goals as Hartnell over the last 3 seasons?

Think before you post.

Old
04-13-2007, 05:57 PM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

Quote:
Hartnell is a marginal player? He scored 22 goals in 64 games and he's marginal? A marginal powerforward maybe.

How many of the Sharks players have had back to back 20 goal seasons? How many have averaged as many goals as Hartnell over the last 3 seasons?

Think before you post.
well...off the top of my head....Cheechoo, Marleau, Thornton, Michalek, Bell (not counting this year), and Guerin

Old
04-13-2007, 06:07 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Ron Wilson View Post
well...off the top of my head....Cheechoo, Marleau, Thornton, Michalek, Bell (not counting this year), and Guerin
michalek had 17 last year

Old
04-13-2007, 06:51 PM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan7 View Post
michalek had 17 last year
only 17.......*checks ESPN stats* er...ok fine!

Old
04-13-2007, 09:06 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Ron Wilson View Post
only 17.......*checks ESPN stats* er...ok fine!
So those are all marginal players too?

Trigg thanks you for proving his point.

Old
04-13-2007, 10:27 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Think before you post.
You missed the entire point of the post. "" means there is a little tongue-in-cheek humor.

That being said. I don't think Hartnell is a special player. He is an OK player with some upside still, who most teams would love to have on their team for the package he brings including physical play, and chipping in with second tier scoring. I didn't say he was your worst player. I said he was marginal. He is below your top players and probably in the same level of player as Grier, Clowe and Brown on the Sharks IMO. But I'm splitting hairs. The post was meant as humorous and you focused on 2 words in the post.

I will try and think before I post next time.

Closed Thread