HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Avalounge: Days Of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2014, 03:17 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentblack View Post
Yeah I didnt want to watch it, cause im not sure if ISIS
would edit the actual deed out , im sure they didnt
Thats just too much 'real' for me. Id probably get sick,
angry, disgusted all at once.
Seriously don't watch it. Not many times where I have felt like crying and throwing up after watching something... that was one.

Old
08-20-2014, 03:18 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 1200
I found an edited video.

08-20-2014, 03:20 PM
agentblack

vCash: 50
And its being rumored that the guy who beheaded him was british.

Old
08-20-2014, 03:24 PM
agentblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Seriously don't watch it. Not many times where I have felt like crying and throwing up after watching something... that was one.
Trust me I wont, esp. after hearing his dad say his last words
Just thinking of it makes me feel awful. He was a brave man
to go back even after he survived his last capture. He just felt he had
a duty to show what was going on over there.

Old
08-20-2014, 04:49 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

I don't know what you guys are talking about but sounds terrible

Old
08-20-2014, 04:52 PM
Lonewolfe2015

I'm pretty sure if anyone knew my new job used all google webapps everyone I know would laugh at me for being a Microsoft person put into this situation. I'm having a real tough time adapting though because I hate Gmail and Google Calendar. Exchange works fine with my Windows Phone, but I can't merge Google with Microsoft at all in the cloud because Google has hard blocks in place.

It's interesting the way the company built everything with web apps, that's for sure. (Combination of Drive, Calendar, Mail, etc), but damn is it annoying at the same time. Outlook.com is such a better mail client, neither have a good Calendar system.

Oh and it looks like I'll be in Boston all next month for my first client... sweet.

Old
08-20-2014, 05:06 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I'm pretty sure if anyone knew my new job used all google webapps everyone I know would laugh at me for being a Microsoft person put into this situation. I'm having a real tough time adapting though because I hate Gmail and Google Calendar. Exchange works fine with my Windows Phone, but I can't merge Google with Microsoft at all in the cloud because Google has hard blocks in place.

It's interesting the way the company built everything with web apps, that's for sure. (Combination of Drive, Calendar, Mail, etc), but damn is it annoying at the same time. Outlook.com is such a better mail client, neither have a good Calendar system.

Oh and it looks like I'll be in Boston all next month for my first client... sweet.
My company uses Google for everything as well... I freaking hate it! My work computer works okay with Google app sync, but everything else is always a mess because if you use your phone or tablet for anything it doesn't sync correctly and all sorts of weird errors happen when I log back into my work computer. I don't mind gmail for my personal email, but for my work email it is absolutely terrible so I refuse to make the switch from Outlook.

I don't think many companies would be using gmail as their email client if it wasn't so damn cheap to use Google for that and everything else that comes with it. Microsoft is crazy expensive when you get a bunch of users, and Google is pennies on the dollar in comparison.

Old
08-20-2014, 05:11 PM
UncleRisto
Registered Loser

Is Gmail really that bad? Seems alright to me.

Old
08-20-2014, 05:19 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRisto View Post
Is Gmail really that bad? Seems alright to me.
It isn't that bad if you use it lightly, but when you get literally hundreds of emails a day the weaknesses really start to show... especially in comparison to a decent client in outlook.

Old
08-20-2014, 05:31 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
My company uses Google for everything as well... I freaking hate it! My work computer works okay with Google app sync, but everything else is always a mess because if you use your phone or tablet for anything it doesn't sync correctly and all sorts of weird errors happen when I log back into my work computer. I don't mind gmail for my personal email, but for my work email it is absolutely terrible so I refuse to make the switch from Outlook.

I don't think many companies would be using gmail as their email client if it wasn't so damn cheap to use Google for that and everything else that comes with it. Microsoft is crazy expensive when you get a bunch of users, and Google is pennies on the dollar in comparison.
It's not the price, but rather that it's Google. My company is California based and is SaaS based. So it was a natural fit in 2006 when they were founded (Gmail was at its height) and Microsoft were being idiots.

But today it's barely improved, just become more entrenched in their organization.

I have a lot of filtering ahead of me to get this inbox tolerable. It's pretty ridiculous the lengths Google goes to be incompatible with Microsoft products, despite the years Google fed off Microsoft for its existence. They've really turned into the evil corporation they portrayed Microsoft as in their early days.

Oh well, time to adapt and overcome. At least I can use exchange, that's more than I expected.

Old
08-21-2014, 11:11 AM
Flanagan
Registered Loser

vCash: 900
Is this thread closed? I hope not.

Either way I'm hoping someone can better explain how relative plus/minus works. According to this site, it is calculated by:

(plus/minus of when the player is on the ice / [plus/minus when the player is on the ice + plus/minus when the player is off it])

First of all, this doesn't seem correct. Even if it is, it's a terrible way of expressing it. The denominator in that equation, [plus/minus when the player is on the ice + plus/minus when the player is off it], isn't that just equal to the team's goal differential? Well discounting powerplay goals I guess. And what if it's zero (which should be the average value)? Then you simply can't calculate relative +/- any more?

And lastly it doesn't seem to account for the sign of the +/-. Say a player's team rating was +2, and he was a +10. Simple enough, his rel. rating is 5.0 (I think).
But what if your team is a -5, and you're +3. Same difference, but suddenly you're relative rating is -0.6. Makes no sense.

Just using the difference instead of quotient seems to make more sense. Someone should straighten this out for me

Old
08-21-2014, 12:09 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanagan View Post
Is this thread closed? I hope not.

Either way I'm hoping someone can better explain how relative plus/minus works. According to this site, it is calculated by:

(plus/minus of when the player is on the ice / [plus/minus when the player is on the ice + plus/minus when the player is off it])

First of all, this doesn't seem correct. Even if it is, it's a terrible way of expressing it. The denominator in that equation, [plus/minus when the player is on the ice + plus/minus when the player is off it], isn't that just equal to the team's goal differential? Well discounting powerplay goals I guess. And what if it's zero (which should be the average value)? Then you simply can't calculate relative +/- any more?

And lastly it doesn't seem to account for the sign of the +/-. Say a player's team rating was +2, and he was a +10. Simple enough, his rel. rating is 5.0 (I think).
But what if your team is a -5, and you're +3. Same difference, but suddenly you're relative rating is -0.6. Makes no sense.

Just using the difference instead of quotient seems to make more sense. Someone should straighten this out for me
Relative +/- uses the worst boxcar statistic in hockey three times and no other statistic at all. What were you expecting?

Old
08-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Flanagan
Registered Loser

vCash: 900
Well since it's the basis of Quality of Competition I was expecting a little more.

But seriously, there's something wrong with my understanding. Is what I posted above actually correct?

Old
08-21-2014, 12:37 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanagan View Post
Well since it's the basis of Quality of Competition I was expecting a little more.

But seriously, there's something wrong with my understanding. Is what I posted above actually correct?
Assuming the information on that site is both correct and complete, yes.

Old
08-21-2014, 05:10 PM
hockeyfish

Who is the most famous person you know? And by know, I mean would recognize you if you walked in the room and would talk to you, not someone who you saw at the airport.

I was randomly trying to think of the answer for me. Really sad who is on my list.

Old
08-21-2014, 05:13 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
Who is the most famous person you know? And by know, I mean would recognize you if you walked in the room and would talk to you, not someone who you saw at the airport.

I was randomly trying to think of the answer for me. Really sad who is on my list.
Spencer Dinwiddie.

Old
08-21-2014, 05:52 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post

I have a friend who plays in the highest football (soccer) league in Finland. And is one of the best players there.

Don't know many others though.
I mean I've talked 3 times with a hockey player who plays in Finland, but still I don't think he'd recognize me until I would say something to him.

Old
08-21-2014, 06:04 PM
UncleRisto
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
I have a friend who plays in the highest football (soccer) league in Finland. And is one of the best players there.

Don't know many others though.
I mean I've talked 3 times with a hockey player who plays in Finland, but still I don't think he'd recognize me until I would say something to him.
Spill the beans.

Old
08-21-2014, 06:10 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRisto View Post
Spill the beans.
Not a chance. The hockey player played for Jokerit two seasons ago.
That's all I'm gonna say

Old
08-21-2014, 06:57 PM
UncleRisto
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
Not a chance. The hockey player played for Jokerit two seasons ago.
That's all I'm gonna say
I can't believe you know Ross Lupaschuk!

If it's Manelius, tell him he sucks at hockey.

E: I'll always remember him by the pass at ~2:00.

Last edited by UncleRisto: 08-21-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old
08-22-2014, 02:17 AM
Razor29
The Ultimate Tank

Cause of that thread on the main boards I just bought my dog an Avalanche sweater.

Old
08-22-2014, 06:42 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 1200
Stick a fork in this one, it's done.

Closed Thread