HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Irbe Recalled

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2004, 09:54 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

vCash: 500
Irbe Recalled

Not exactly huge news, but he could see game action vs Toronto on Thursday. Great news for you Irbe fans.

Edit: Source: Talk 640 (Leafs Talk)

Old
02-17-2004, 09:55 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Devil_Boy
Not exactly huge news, but he could see game action vs Toronto on Thursday. Great news for you Irbe fans.
great guy, good luck to him. we haven't heard a peep from him since he's been in the minors...Go get 'em Arty!

Old
02-17-2004, 09:59 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

I'm surprised that he'd still want to play for the Canes after the shabby treatment they gave him. Didn't they send him down to the ECHL or something to try to get him to agree to a buyout?

Old
02-17-2004, 09:59 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji_ch
great guy, good luck to him. we haven't heard a peep from him since he's been in the minors...Go get 'em Arty!
Good for Irbe for accepting the job in the ECHL and wait for the call up. He's actually on fire playing for the Johnstown Chiefs.

13 GP
1.98 GAA
9W
3L
0.931 S%
1 SO

Old
02-17-2004, 10:00 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1280
Quote:

Edit: Source: Talk 640 (Leafs Talk)
I bet he's being showcased to the Leafs.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:03 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
He couldn't be any worse than Kidd....

Old
02-17-2004, 11:20 PM
Skydog

Quote:
Good for Irbe for accepting the job in the ECHL and wait for the call up. He's actually on fire playing for the Johnstown Chiefs.

13 GP
1.98 GAA
9W
3L
0.931 S%
1 SO

Well that fire has surely cooled considering he has just recovered from wrist surgery and hasn't played in months.

Old
02-17-2004, 11:50 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Irbe really deserves this. It's probably a show-case or something, but he deserves another chance. He always has been a guy who would always come back just when you think he's done.

He's also been a real class act. The Canes sent him down to Johnstown to get him mad at them and accept a buy-out, but he did no such thing. He's been very good about this whole situation, and I hope he does well.

This reminds me of the Cujo situation, where he was sent down and didn't say anything bad about the Wings. Then he was recalled and played awesome. I hope Irbe's case ends like that too.

Old
02-18-2004, 06:53 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

The Canes really mistreated Irbe. Down here in Canes Country he went from playoff hero and fan favorite to local whipping boy. His play didn't help his case, but still, they shipped him to the ECHL, bypassing the AHL so he would leave. :mad:

Old
02-18-2004, 07:45 AM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator
The Canes really mistreated Irbe. Down here in Canes Country he went from playoff hero and fan favorite to local whipping boy. His play didn't help his case, but still, they shipped him to the ECHL, bypassing the AHL so he would leave. :mad:

Let's not forget, he claimed he was good enough to start somewhere in the NHL, then when Weekes went down, he put on a goaltending display almost as spectacular as Storr has this year. Then he has some very nice things to say about the team to a Latvian newspaper, something along the lines of "my career was ruined because they wouldn't trade me." Only after he cleared waivers was he sent down to the minors. Bridges were burned on both sides, but Irbe was no saint in the ordeal.

Old
02-18-2004, 08:01 AM
loveshack2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
I actually was just about to suggest that very thing. Irbe would come pretty cheap at this point, and could he possibly be any worse than Trevor Kidd has been lately? He's backstopped a team to the Cup finals and he'll probably just be happy to be back in the NHL at all. He might not be too bad injury insurance for Belfour.

Old
02-18-2004, 09:24 AM
Les Ouragans

If nothing else, it has generated a lot of discussion here. I hope he is able to show his wares sufficiently for a decent offer to be made, because I do think he has some NHL-calibre hockey left in him. After being away from the league for a year, though, I don't know how quickly he'll be able to show that.

I would agree that both Canes management and Archie both handled last year poorly - neither can cast stones.

Old
02-18-2004, 10:05 AM
Skydog

[QUOTE=ducksflytogether]He's also been a real class act. The Canes sent him down to Johnstown to get him mad at them and accept a buy-out, but he did no such thing. He's been very good about this whole situation, and I hope he does well.[QUOTE]

I guess complaining about playing time during a period in which Weekes was by far the hottest goalie in the leauge and the team was finally winning after a sluggish start to the season is a class act.

Also he had every opportunity to go to, not only another NHL team, but an AHL team as well....no takers He was given permission to seek his own trade and nothing worked out. He was waived and no one wanted him. After all that he was loaned out to an ECHL team so that he could actually play to give him a chance at something like this (a return to the NHL) and so he wouldn't further clog up the Canes minor league system with goalies.

Old
02-18-2004, 09:04 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

[QUOTE=CanesFan10][QUOTE=ducksflytogether]He's also been a real class act. The Canes sent him down to Johnstown to get him mad at them and accept a buy-out, but he did no such thing. He's been very good about this whole situation, and I hope he does well.
Quote:

I guess complaining about playing time during a period in which Weekes was by far the hottest goalie in the leauge and the team was finally winning after a sluggish start to the season is a class act.

Also he had every opportunity to go to, not only another NHL team, but an AHL team as well....no takers He was given permission to seek his own trade and nothing worked out. He was waived and no one wanted him. After all that he was loaned out to an ECHL team so that he could actually play to give him a chance at something like this (a return to the NHL) and so he wouldn't further clog up the Canes minor league system with goalies.

Seems I forgot all the negative stuff. My playoff hangover gave me some rose colored glasses. I forgot about all that junk on Irbe's part. But I still like the guy!

Old
02-19-2004, 10:51 AM
Chevy Cheveldae

Send a message via MSN to Chevy Cheveldae
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1737709

"How may more times do I have to say it?" Rutherford said when Storr's signing was announced. "I think Archie can still play in this league, but it was time for us to cut ties with him. Certainly it puts another goalie between him and us."

Storr is 0-8-2 with a 2.91 goals-against average in 14 appearances. :p

Old
02-19-2004, 03:57 PM
Skydog

Quote:
Storr is 0-8-2 with a 2.91 goals-against average in 14 appearances.
Those are bad numbers but check out Irbe's from last year.....

7-24-2 with a 3.19 GAA

Old
02-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Chevy Cheveldae

Send a message via MSN to Chevy Cheveldae
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanesFan10
Those are bad numbers but check out Irbe's from last year.....

7-24-2 with a 3.19 GAA
Hey, at least Irbe won some games for the Canes

Old
02-19-2004, 05:02 PM
PecaFan

To be fair to Storr, in *half* his starts this year (4 of 8), he's allowed 2 or less goals. Which is pretty damn good. Every time he plays, Carolina pretty much scores 1 goal or less. 6 out of 8 starts, 11 out of 14 appearances.

That's insane, they're pretty much forcing him to pitch a shutout every time out. *Nobody* wins if your team doesn't score in front of you.

Old
02-19-2004, 05:12 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn
I'm surprised that he'd still want to play for the Canes after the shabby treatment they gave him. Didn't they send him down to the ECHL or something to try to get him to agree to a buyout?
Yes they did, and I say it was the right thing to do.

Closed Thread