HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers invite Russian Prospect Vladimir Tkachev to Training Camp

Old
08-22-2014, 12:19 AM
topchowda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I guess some people are forgetting the size in our forward prospects coming up. No issues giving a 5'8 skilled forward a tryout. In a few years the look of our roster will be different.
Yup. And maybe him or Holmberg can be our Tyler Johnston

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2014, 04:48 AM
A Classy Banana

I'm sorry, and I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything, but why is a good portion of this thread about johnny gaudreau? again, not being rude, genuinely curious.

A Classy Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2014, 06:38 AM
OiledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Classy Banana View Post
I'm sorry, and I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything, but why is a good portion of this thread about johnny gaudreau? again, not being rude, genuinely curious.
Good portion is a bit rich, 5-6 posts on three pages, the majority jokes. And some size comparisons which has been done with MSL etc as well. Very little about Gaudreau tbh. Not really that odd if Gaudreau turns up in a thread about a tiny skillplayer.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2014, 12:15 PM
Aerchon

I understand wanting to bring in someone with talent. I also didn't think he was joining the Oilers to be a long term prospect 5 years down the road. Someone with that talent usually wants to be successful asap and goes where they can get that.

As others have pointed out the organization has a terrible track record for these types of players and seems to move them around without any real strategy.

Seems like a waste but can't hurt I suppose... Just as long as we are not adding contracts willy nilly. We don't want to be in a position like we have been, right up against the contract ceiling and unable to make any more moves.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2014, 06:15 PM
HeavyHitter99

I can't believe people are actually complaining about this or don't understand why the Oilers would do this. The more skilled players you give a chance to the more chances that one will turn out. Who gives a **** if Omark and Rajala didn't workout, every player is different.

HeavyHitter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2014, 07:33 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

I think it would be hilarious if this kid makes it as an undrafted player and Ho-Sang busts.

Some Russian players never try out for teams when they go undrafted. This guy came over to NA, he obviously wants to play here. I hope he makes a good impression at camp and gets a deal. We have enough grinders anyways, need some more skill.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2014, 12:05 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post

Seems like a waste but can't hurt I suppose... Just as long as we are not adding contracts willy nilly. We don't want to be in a position like we have been, right up against the contract ceiling and unable to make any more moves.
Aerchon, please explain to me how it's a waste. He wasn't drafted. He's not ready to play now or in the next 2-3 years.

He is small but super-skilled. Sometimes these guys make it.

Tell me what the Oilers are doing wrong on this.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2014, 12:30 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Aerchon, please explain to me how it's a waste. He wasn't drafted. He's not ready to play now or in the next 2-3 years.

He could turn out to be better than anyone in the draft, and some people still wouldn't be happy

08-24-2014, 12:34 AM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post

Not saying it is wrong.

Seems a waste cause of our track record with these kinds of players recently combined with our depth for those kind of players in the big club, but as long as we have enough contract space to act freely I suppose it doesn't matter.

I also figured he would be looking to break into an NHL roster within the next 2 years. If that isn't the case even better.

Old
08-24-2014, 12:39 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Not saying it is wrong.

Seems a waste cause of our track record with these kinds of players recently combined with our depth for those kind of players in the big club, but as long as we have enough contract space to act freely I suppose it doesn't matter.

I also figured he would be looking to break into an NHL roster within the next 2 years. If that isn't the case even better.
Our track record for these type of guys (assuming smaller wingers) is PPG AHL players (Omark, Rajala, Arco), and decent rookie NHL forward seasons (Arco,Omark)

If this guy turns into a .8 ppg AHL, or anything like Rajala or Omark. Thats a win as it improves our AHL team greatly and lets players like Moroz/Khaira play with skill

Not every signing has to turn into a top 6 guy, and this guy likely never will

Old
08-24-2014, 12:45 AM
Lion

Wait, can he even be signed to a contract since he's only 18? Wouldn't he have to be drafted in 2015 instead?

Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2014, 02:19 AM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
Wait, can he even be signed to a contract since he's only 18? Wouldn't he have to be drafted in 2015 instead?
There's a window after camps where a team can sign a player who attended their camp and is draft eligible but has passed through the draft.

Sergei Tolchinsky with Carolina is the most recent example, I think. Michael Sgarbossa to the Avs is another one off the top of my head.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2014, 12:44 AM
Dabomb

sign this kid now?

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2014, 12:57 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 168
so far, so good

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2014, 12:59 AM
topchowda

I cant imagine anybody we took in this draft after Lagesson will ever turn out as good, so id much rather give a contract to a useful player.

Itll be interesting to see what he can do in the CHL next year. 1.5 ppg in 20 games, so maybe 100 points over a full season is doable?

Old
09-13-2014, 01:03 AM
Aerchon

Quote:
This this and more this. I don't understand the move.

Is he a right winger as well?

Wow, we potentially found Omark version 2.0.

I suppose these kind of moves don't hurt but I am completely lost as to why we are even bothering. Our winger depth is ridicules, his skill set not needed, and I am not even sure why he would want to sign here since he has such a small chance of making the team in the next 5+ years.
Ummmm. Wow indeed. Great first impression. 2 outstanding defensive plays to go with some serious offence. Looked very good in his first rookie tourney.

Old
09-13-2014, 01:07 AM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Plays surprisingly good defence for a tiny offensive dynamo. Maybe I'm just used to offensive talent = defensive mishaps.

Hope he gets a couple more games in with Yakimov here.

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2014, 01:20 AM
DeathbyCheerios

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Plays surprisingly good defence for a tiny offensive dynamo. Maybe I'm just used to offensive talent = defensive mishaps.

Hope he gets a couple more games in with Yakimov here.
Pairing the tiny guy with a giant like Yakimov is genius. Balance the size out a bit

DeathbyCheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2014, 06:09 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Not saying it is wrong.

His contrct won't count against the limit when he's returned to junior, it will slide to the next year. Zero risk in signing him, free draft pick.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2014, 06:48 AM
glassbangers
#FireEakins

vCash: 161
Well he made me a fan. Now we have to start calling him Vladdy Hockey.

glassbangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2014, 07:58 AM
surshot*

I am sold!

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2014, 08:45 AM
Lacaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
His contrct won't count against the limit when he's returned to junior, it will slide to the next year. Zero risk in signing him, free draft pick.
Isn't there some risk to the contract limit when he comes out of Junior next year or the year after. Don't know his jr eligibility off hand. I see he's going to be 19 in October so this will be his last year of jr I beleive.

I'm just trying to understand the risks. If anyone could explain the rules to signing undrafted players. Is there a window before he goes back into the draft as an overager?

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2014, 11:10 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
I'm just trying to understand the risks. If anyone could explain the rules to signing undrafted players. Is there a window before he goes back into the draft as an overager?
From the end of the draft until (I believe) the beginning of the NHL season, draft-eligible CHL players (so 18,19 year olds) who have been passed over in at least one draft can be signed to an ELC by any team as a free agent. Once the season begins however, they are then back in the pool of players who are then eligible for the next draft.

This allows teams to sign guys they invite to development camps/rookie camp/training camp.

Tolchinsky, Sgarbossa and Brett Festerling are all examples. Tomas Hyka is a great example of a player who didn't fall into that category (Philadelphia invited him to camp as an un-drafted player and then wanted to sign him, but the rules for Europeans is different and so he went into the draft pool for the following season and was ultimately selected by Los Angeles).

09-13-2014, 11:13 AM
OilBuoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
Isn't there some risk to the contract limit when he comes out of Junior next year or the year after. Don't know his jr eligibility off hand. I see he's going to be 19 in October so this will be his last year of jr I beleive.

They have until the start of the regular season to sign him. He would then be sent back to junior for his 19 year old season so his contract would slide and not count against Edmonton's contract limit. His contract would then count against their limit next season which would be his 20 year old season. They could either send him back to junior again for his overage season or to the AHL but his contract would count either way.

OilBuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2014, 11:58 AM
Mr Positive

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilBuoy View Post
They have until the start of the regular season to sign him. He would then be sent back to junior for his 19 year old season so his contract would slide and not count against Edmonton's contract limit. His contract would then count against their limit next season which would be his 20 year old season. They could either send him back to junior again for his overage season or to the AHL but his contract would count either way.
Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure how that worked. Still, wouldn't it be smart to have his contract count against this year's limit? I thought we had quite a few vacancies. We might want those slots next season.

At any rate, I say good for Tkachev. With the way that the league cracking down on head shots, there may be a place opening up for the smaller players. It's hard for big players to hit them without getting suspended lol

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote