HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL IV

Closed Thread

Old
08-27-2014, 11:05 AM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

vCash: 500
They were putting teams in Saskatchewan, Kansas City, Toronto, Quebec, Seattle and Las Vegas. I guess if they chose to do that, it would be like the late 90's-00's expansion where one or two came in at a time, over a period of x years. Honestly, I can see Quebec and Seattle. Not sold on second team in Toronto. Sure the interest is there, but are people going to use it as a way to see their beloved Leafs or are they going to support the team? I guess if they win, they'll survive, but what if they don't? Saskatchewan and Las Vegas--not sure the population is there for either team, though I'm not writing them off, either. Kansas City--probably. I'm still bitter about our being shopped to them by the criminal owner.

Old
08-27-2014, 11:07 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Expand! Expand like my waistline!

I want Seattle, Portland, Houston, KC, TOR2, QC

Old
08-27-2014, 12:20 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
Not me. I would not want to be the only central team in the east. Built in disadvantage regarding rest and practice times. Everyone plays the other teams and experiences it some, but this would be every division foe with that advantage.
If that's the case - it might be an advantage - every time a team comes into our barn, they have to play an hour earlier than they're used to.

I can't imagine that having an hours difference would make as much of a difference as having 50% of the teams we play on the other side of the continent and having to take dozens of long flights and multiple week+ long road trips.

It never seemed to bother Detroit being an eastern time zone team in the west, on the ice anyway.

Not to mention, it'll be easier to build rivalry and fan interest with teams that fans might actually be able to road trip and see (and have their fans in our place). How many of us trek to Vancouver or San Jose or Anaheim, vs those of us that might run up to Pittsburgh, Washington, or take a short flight to Miami/Tampa?

Plus, I've always said that the Preds, to the casual fan - are out of sight, out of mind when they go out west. How many kids stay up to watch those 9:30/10pm face-offs vs Cali teams? At least in the East almost all of our games will be viewable from start to stop.

Old
08-27-2014, 02:47 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

It isn't the same. Yes, every team plays out of time zone when they play out of conference and division. But the difference is your divisional and conference opponents are playing one team in their conference in that situation. We are playing everyone else in our conference with an hour's disadvantage. And yes, an hour gained is processed differently in the body than an hour lost. From the American Sleep Association:
As such, people on long flights in the same time zone (north to south for example) are much less susceptible to jet lag as are those on shorter flights that cross time zones. West to east travel is considered the more adverse than vice versa, as it pushes the cycles forward rather than back, which are easier to adjust to.

Obviously, for the VIEWER, it's great. But I'm talking about the team here.

There have been plenty of visits from other team fans in the Central. I think you have to compare it by distance. Do you think as many people from Quebec or Florida will make the trip as those from St. Louis or Chicago? (Forget their fan bases--I'm just comparing distance--ha!)

As for Detroit, they complained about it the whole time, so I think it did bother them. :-D

Old
08-27-2014, 03:02 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Vegas, Seattle, Quebec, GTA.

Hm.

Old
08-28-2014, 07:59 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
It isn't the same. Yes, every team plays out of time zone when they play out of conference and division. But the difference is your divisional and conference opponents are playing one team in their conference in that situation. We are playing everyone else in our conference with an hour's disadvantage. And yes, an hour gained is processed differently in the body than an hour lost. From the American Sleep Association:
As such, people on long flights in the same time zone (north to south for example) are much less susceptible to jet lag as are those on shorter flights that cross time zones. West to east travel is considered the more adverse than vice versa, as it pushes the cycles forward rather than back, which are easier to adjust to.

Obviously, for the VIEWER, it's great. But I'm talking about the team here.

There have been plenty of visits from other team fans in the Central. I think you have to compare it by distance. Do you think as many people from Quebec or Florida will make the trip as those from St. Louis or Chicago? (Forget their fan bases--I'm just comparing distance--ha!)

As for Detroit, they complained about it the whole time, so I think it did bother them. :-D
Good points.

I still think we'll be better off overall with shorter flights. Losing 1 hour vs spending 5 on an airplane and week long road trips. What happens to the team when we have to come back from those Pacific time zones? We lost multiple hours multiple times a year.

I think fan interest greatly increases with teams in the east. I just can't see folks in Nashville building a interest in teams like San Jose, Vancouver, Calgary - like we would against teams like Cbus/Det/Pitts/Boston/Rangers, etc. Those teams are on TV, despite the West's dominance, those teams are, and will likely always be the face of the NHL (East coast bias?).

And just about the only fans that come to Nashville are the Chicago and StL fans. And that's really only recently.

I see your points, but I just don't think that 1 hour difference - 6pm faceoff vs 7pm faceoff - would make that much of a difference. Some east teams play at 7:30pm EST, so that's only a difference of a half-hour.

Old
08-28-2014, 09:47 AM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Also good points, but back when I was at UTK, going back to school after a short holiday was very difficult due to the lost hour because it was one hour less for study or sleep. I lived about 5 hours from campus back when we had to drive 55 mph, so that hour made a big difference! The time involved getting there wasn't the issue--it was the clock after I got there. But believe me, I always loved getting the extra hour going the other way--just crossing the time zone line was happy time!

The big stickler for me is the fact that ours would be the ONLY team in that situation for games within the conference, not that they have to do it. This would be the loss of an hour for every initial game we played away from Nashville. After the first one it wouldn't be that big of a deal. So always play the crappy teams on the first game of the roadtrip, I guess...

OT a little--my idea for a name for Las Vegas--the Vegas Odds. Ha ha! It would never fly but boy, could people have fun with it.

Old
08-28-2014, 10:26 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Las Vegas Gamblers OR Aces
Seattle Easter Eggs OR Sasquatch
Quebec Nordiques
Toronto Toros

Old
08-28-2014, 11:39 AM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Toronto Tims
Not the doughnut shop, the guy! Plural to poke a little fun at the Leafs.

Old
08-28-2014, 01:50 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Toronto Tims
Not the doughnut shop, the guy! Plural to poke a little fun at the Leafs.
Except now it will be the Toronto Burger Kings...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...wer-taxes.html

Old
08-28-2014, 02:39 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Except now it will be the Toronto Burger Kings...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...wer-taxes.html
They may be owned by BK, but that doesn't mean they're all converting to BK's. Still, like I said, it's for the player. If it was the product it would be the Toronto Timbits.

Old
08-29-2014, 01:56 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Funny, someone on the main boards suggested the Toronto Tims, too. Either great minds think alike or someone was perusing the Preds threads.

I'm sure it was the latter. ;-)

Old
08-29-2014, 08:52 PM
bdub24
Section 212

vCash: 194
A second team in Toronto is simply a Canadian fantasy. NHL revenue streams will start to become tv viewership based in the next 10 years and Canada is not the answer for that revenue stream. The US is. Sure, they'll throw Canada a bone and allow a franchise in Quebec City...the rest will be in States. LV, Seattle and KC if I had to guess. The yokels on NHL on Sirius are acting like Toronto 2 is a done deal, while looking down their scarves at Florida and Nashville. screw you Top Shelf show! The name of the league is the National Hockey League. You can't just have hockey in the north.

Old
08-30-2014, 09:14 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

I just saw that Edmonton re-signed Justin Schultz for $3.675 million for one year leaving him a free agent next year. Schultz is a good player but just think, we have Josi locked up for a little more than a quarter of a million more per season and he's a way better all around defensemen than Schultz. Pretty funny how certain teams keep the cycle of bad signings going year after year and never improve on the ice.

Old
08-30-2014, 09:29 AM
RCola88

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I just saw that Edmonton re-signed Justin Schultz for $3.675 million for one year leaving him a free agent next year. Schultz is a good player but just think, we have Josi locked up for a little more than a quarter of a million more per season and he's a way better all around defensemen than Schultz. Pretty funny how certain teams keep the cycle of bad signings going year after year and never improve on the ice.
One of the main reasons why Poile is a top 5 GM in this league.

To add to the expansion teams I would definitely go with Seattle and Quebec City first, to add some hype back into the league. Then after two years bring in another Toronto team and another team in the US. I don't really want Vegas as a city to be chosen, doesn't feel right to me. Maybe a team in Houston or Hartford

Old
08-30-2014, 09:30 AM
RCola88

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub24 View Post
A second team in Toronto is simply a Canadian fantasy. NHL revenue streams will start to become tv viewership based in the next 10 years and Canada is not the answer for that revenue stream. The US is. Sure, they'll throw Canada a bone and allow a franchise in Quebec City...the rest will be in States. LV, Seattle and KC if I had to guess. The yokels on NHL on Sirius are acting like Toronto 2 is a done deal, while looking down their scarves at Florida and Nashville. screw you Top Shelf show! The name of the league is the National Hockey League. You can't just have hockey in the north.
So the talk about Nashville moving is back again? Great..

We can never get away from being **** on by the teams up north.

Old
08-30-2014, 10:03 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

One of these days, I've got to get on the air with Boomer Gordon or Mike Ross and lay a bet with them - Nashville wins Lord Stanley before Toronto does.

Old
08-30-2014, 10:24 AM
bdub24
Section 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
One of these days, I've got to get on the air with Boomer Gordon or Mike Ross and lay a bet with them - Nashville wins Lord Stanley before Toronto does.
I've never actually heard a Canadian get mad...post up on the board when you plan to call in so I can hear what that's like!

Old
08-30-2014, 10:26 AM
bdub24
Section 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCola88 View Post
So the talk about Nashville moving is back again? Great..

We can never get away from being **** on by the teams up north.
They didn't call for Nashville to move, but made a condescending comment like, Nashville is coming along. the conversation was just couched in how much more sense it makes to expand in Canadian markets due to ticket sales. Short sighted and snobbish.

Old
08-30-2014, 11:23 AM
RCola88

Quote:
They didn't call for Nashville to move, but made a condescending comment like, Nashville is coming along. the conversation was just couched in how much more sense it makes to expand in Canadian markets due to ticket sales. Short sighted and snobbish.
Sounds like typical ignorant talk. If they ever visited here they may actually shut up about us

Old
08-30-2014, 05:06 PM
bdub24
Section 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCola88 View Post
Sounds like typical ignorant talk. If they ever visited here they may actually shut up about us
Yeah. I agree, but nothing will convince them that all team belong in Canada or at least where it snows for 4 months out of the year.

Old
08-30-2014, 08:38 PM
FossilFndr

Quote:
The best chance for team expansion in Canada is for another franchise in Atlanta. They've exported more teams to Canada than anyone else!

Who would have thunk it? Atlanta being a net exporter of hockey to Canada.

Old
08-31-2014, 12:59 AM
Infinite Jest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilFndr View Post
The best chance for team expansion in Canada is for another franchise in Atlanta. They've exported more teams to Canada than anyone else!

Who would have thunk it? Atlanta being a net exporter of hockey to Canada.
Don't be a ****.

Old
08-31-2014, 08:09 AM
bdub24
Section 212

[QUOTE=FossilFndr;89264051]The best chance for team expansion in Canada is for another franchise in Atlanta. They've exported more teams to Canada than anyone else!

Who would have thunk it? Atlanta being a net exporter of hockey to Canada.[/QUOTE

Old
09-02-2014, 07:20 AM
FossilFndr

[QUOTE=bdub24;89269205]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilFndr View Post

Who would have thunk it? Atlanta being a net exporter of hockey to Canada.[/QUOTE

That's the response I hoped for! I got to spend a season taking pictures of the Flames and Hawks, got to stand next to the corner glass and between the benches with Boom Boom coaching Atlanta.

Photographing the Flames was so much fun, better than sitting on the boards taking Hawks pictures, even with Pete Maravich just feet away. For a late teenager to go to the Omni, have a full buffet meal provided for the press before every game and being introduced to hockey like that ... spectacular opportunity.

Made me a hockey fan for life.

Closed Thread