HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Pics of the Moore/Naslund hit

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-18-2004, 06:56 PM
  #76
Thalia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Scotland
Posts: 4,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller259
Not this one, I got rather used to it after their 1st meeting in the playoffs. Apparently, Crawford and his band of boys didn't think they could win by just playing the game. As a matter of fact, I think Vanvouver lost game 3 in overtime because bertuzzi "accidently" fell on top of Eric Messier.......the refs didn't think so and sent his **** to the sin-bin for 4 minutes (Messier was bleeding after all). Forsberg scored in overtime by the way.
If my memory serves me right, that was the year that the 'Nucks hadn't made the playoffs for five years, Naslund broke his leg, Cassels was injured, Essensa (backup) was in net, Cloutier (who had never played a p/o game) was in net, basically the Canucks played with half of their AHL team b/c everyone was falling like flies and they were still in every game til the end.

It was a David vs Goliath matchup and the Avs went on to win the Cup. I thought our boys played a pretty damn good and entertaining series!

Thalia is offline  
Old
02-18-2004, 07:00 PM
  #77
Miller259
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: "If hockeys to tough, go play tennis"-Bryan Marchment, Colorado Avalanche
Posts: 1,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
I didn't know that the Canucks had a Nortsrom. What is funny is that the Avs are acting like they have *never* had a player take dirty shots at anyone and the Nucks fans are doing the same.

Why Nucks fans are still whinning is beyond me. Now if you want to talk about the kneeing incident that Norton did to Hunter the other day and how he should be suspended (which he should) that is another story. This one is much ado about naught. Silly.

The point is, there's a large conception that the Avs are untouchable can skate circles around their opponents every other night. When the brutal reality is they get hooked, held, and hog-tied by almost every team that can' run with them. I only mentioned Norstrom, because of all the guys who do a very good job against Forsberg (Lidstrom also, and chellios.....whenever he doesn't have to move his feet) he's the best and coincedentally the cheapest of them all.

Another misconception is that the Avs head-hunt regularly. The days of Claude Lemieux and Ville Nieminen are long gone. If anything, a few sparatic incident of cheap hits do occur (Such as Footer cross-checking a dude on the Yotes in the neck). But every team has players who have incidents like that.

It's one think for the fans to whine, but I can't beleive the players were crying about it. If what he really did upset them no matter if it was dirty or not.....I'm sure SOMEBODY had the chance to challenge him to a fight but didn't. They could've done something other than cry and whine about the situation like babbling babies. Crawford's excuse was terrible, I pitty him, because he's a really good coach, but occasionally borderline-dirty. And for ruutu to accuse Moore of being dirty? ruutu in my opinion is one of th leagues cheapest players! No wonder why he's the most hated lol! And Burke's comments were idiotic at best. He sounded like a baby, again....but I think everybody's used to that by now also.

Miller259 is offline  
Old
02-18-2004, 07:03 PM
  #78
Miller259
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: "If hockeys to tough, go play tennis"-Bryan Marchment, Colorado Avalanche
Posts: 1,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia
If my memory serves me right, that was the year that the 'Nucks hadn't made the playoffs for five years, Naslund broke his leg, Cassels was injured, Essensa (backup) was in net, Cloutier (who had never played a p/o game) was in net, basically the Canucks played with half of their AHL team b/c everyone was falling like flies and they were still in every game til the end.

It was a David vs Goliath matchup and the Avs went on to win the Cup. I thought our boys played a pretty damn good and entertaining series!



Whatever. The only thing I remeber of that series was a few bad hits from the Canucks players, along-side overtime winners by Drury and Forsberg. Being injured and short-handed isn't an excuse for trying to put somebody else out of the series.

Miller259 is offline  
Old
02-18-2004, 07:09 PM
  #79
WuRtZLeSs
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,929
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WuRtZLeSs Send a message via MSN to WuRtZLeSs
This is professional hockey.

Any player in the league making a sloppy play is putting himself at risk, Naslund is no exception and Moore proved it.

It's a clean hit (if it even is one, more on that later though) in my opinion, there would have to be an extreme change in direction in order for Moore to go from lining up Naslund to playing the puck. This is the NHL, there's a reason it's called playing the body, and regardless of whether it was Forsberg, Sakic or Naslund - the hit was legal. It's really easy to think it's an elbow, but you have to realize Naslund is on his knees. In fact, it almost looks like a dive, although I haven't seen the replay on television, and I think it's safe to assume the speed is lowered in the animated gif thing. You see Naslund notice Moore coming, and then pull back a little on his knees, it looks like the momentum of Naslund's spin-o-rama was the only real cause for Naslund's concussion. In the replay that's in this thread, it looks like Moore only really catches Naslund's glove, if he had hit him straight on, he wouldn't keep the same path and speed, and it's obvious he didn't stick out his elbow. Naslund sees the hit coming and gives it the good whole "linguini" technique and goes limp in an effort to minimize the impact, instead of bracing himself. Granted, I haven't seen it in real speed nor viewed it in any other way other then through this thread, so feel free to discredit me if ya' want. It doesn't look all that bad and the only reason I could see for Naslund's injury was the fact that he gathered so much momentum doing the unneeded spin that the momentum was enough of an impact to give him a concussion.

This is hardly a hit in my opinion and hardly an interference call even. Unless the graphics given in this thread some how sissified it - this is only an issue because it's Naslund. My thinking here is that somehow the graphics made it look less worse then it is - but judging from the graphics, how is it a hit at all? Moore catches Naslund's glove..

If Forsberg had gotten a concussion from diving, people would be laughing.

WuRtZLeSs is offline  
Old
02-18-2004, 07:23 PM
  #80
punchy1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Kiwiville.
Posts: 2,444
vCash: 500
An excellent point. IF Moore wanted to he could have truly taken MN out. If fact, all he had to do was to carry through the motion of throwing his check and he would have done some majour damage. He didn't take full advantage of what could have been done and that is part of the reason I feel he did the right thing.

Miller, solid points mate. I don't agree entirely with your assesment of how the Avs are percieved but I will say that it stands true that the real pisser is how the Nucks players whined about the hit. Us fans are supposed to be biased and see things one way. Its what we do and since we aren't playing the game with our teams, the most we can do.

For the players do moan and groan like that on a questionable at worst hit is silly and lame. For thier coach to do it is even worse. I do like the honesty of them talking thier minds but, if that is the best they can do then maybe they should think twice before commenting on things. IF it were such a bloody blatant intent to injure hit then where were the 5 on 5 scrum? I mean, if it were so bloody bad then of course the whole team would have run at Moore and taken him out and then had a piece of whoever else they could as well.

It is a bunch of lip service. I for one am happy about it because it will make me actually watch the next game they play eachother in. That said, Betteman will ruin it like he always does by letting the teams know that there will be suspensions if anyone does anything about it. When I read that bit by that kid who were sent back down (can't recall his name) who said that he were warned by the league that if he fought the guy who run him in the next game (it were a home at home) that he would be suspended for certain it made me so bloody pissed that I sent an email off to the pile of scat GB straight away. I know he never sees them but still, to send them is cathardic.

Lighten up Nucks, it weren't blatantly dirty and the puck were right there. It could have been worse.

punchy1 is offline  
Old
02-18-2004, 10:37 PM
  #81
Ensane
EL GUAPO
 
Ensane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 15,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuRtZLeSs
This is professional hockey.

Any player in the league making a sloppy play is putting himself at risk, Naslund is no exception and Moore proved it.

It's a clean hit (if it even is one, more on that later though) in my opinion, there would have to be an extreme change in direction in order for Moore to go from lining up Naslund to playing the puck. This is the NHL, there's a reason it's called playing the body, and regardless of whether it was Forsberg, Sakic or Naslund - the hit was legal. It's really easy to think it's an elbow, but you have to realize Naslund is on his knees. In fact, it almost looks like a dive, although I haven't seen the replay on television, and I think it's safe to assume the speed is lowered in the animated gif thing. You see Naslund notice Moore coming, and then pull back a little on his knees, it looks like the momentum of Naslund's spin-o-rama was the only real cause for Naslund's concussion. In the replay that's in this thread, it looks like Moore only really catches Naslund's glove, if he had hit him straight on, he wouldn't keep the same path and speed, and it's obvious he didn't stick out his elbow. Naslund sees the hit coming and gives it the good whole "linguini" technique and goes limp in an effort to minimize the impact, instead of bracing himself. Granted, I haven't seen it in real speed nor viewed it in any other way other then through this thread, so feel free to discredit me if ya' want. It doesn't look all that bad and the only reason I could see for Naslund's injury was the fact that he gathered so much momentum doing the unneeded spin that the momentum was enough of an impact to give him a concussion.

This is hardly a hit in my opinion and hardly an interference call even. Unless the graphics given in this thread some how sissified it - this is only an issue because it's Naslund. My thinking here is that somehow the graphics made it look less worse then it is - but judging from the graphics, how is it a hit at all? Moore catches Naslund's glove..

If Forsberg had gotten a concussion from diving, people would be laughing.
Wow, you know what, I hadn't noticed that until they just replayed it on my TV in the Oilers game. It sure does look like Naslund just tripped over Moore as Moore missed the hit completely. Hmm...interesting.

Ensane is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 12:07 AM
  #82
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 19,359
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie
When Naslund saw that he and Moore were on a collision course, he leaned backwards, while kneeling, putting him in a bad position. Moore saw that Naslund was going forwards and he was going sideways, so the only way to stop the speedier Naslund from getting by him is to hit him. He leaned in WITH HIS SHOULDER, and Naslund leaned backwards, which delayed the hit a split second.

Had Naslund just leaned into the hit, he would probably have bounced off with his shoulder. Instead, his head was at Moore's elbow height, and the forearm of Moore ended up hitting Naslund's head. Moore clearly did not leave his feet until after the collision, and his elbow clearly was tucked until after the hit.

If Naslund had not leaned back he wouldn't have a head. It was a illegal shot against a player in vulnerable position. It was Cheap with a capital C.

me2 is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 12:17 AM
  #83
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
 
colonel_korn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: St John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,362
vCash: 500
Well, here's what Naslund looks like after the hit. Was it his visor that cut him?

(Not implying that the hit was dirty or clean, just posting the pic for the hell of it )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg atcamera_b.jpg‎ (37.4 KB, 45 views)

colonel_korn is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 12:24 AM
  #84
Knucklez
Registered User
 
Knucklez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Behind the bench!
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn
Well, here's what Naslund looks like after the hit. Was it his visor that cut him?

(Not implying that the hit was dirty or clean, just posting the pic for the hell of it )
Ugh, there's some nasty swelling. He's not such a handsome guy anymore Not to sound gay or anything...

Knucklez is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 12:32 AM
  #85
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 19,359
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Pedersen
Yeah, really refreshing to see how reasonable and fair that thread is. For those of you who didn't click on that lovely link, the thread title is 'More whining from Canuckleheads'. Lovely. Now tell me, Professor-Von-Holier-Than-Thou, if your star player was ran when he DID NOT HAVE THE PUCK, how would you feel?

Imagine Forsberg gets knocked down and as he gets up a player flicks the puck past him, skates 10 metres over to him and elbow/hip checks him in the head as he's getting to his knees, smashes his head on the ice and is out for the season. Nice clean form on the hip check, elbow in tight even if it did hit him in the head. Forsberg wasn't in possession but he was near the puck. Near enough to be legal and clean just like the Nassy hit. Should be legal, yeah right.

me2 is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 12:39 AM
  #86
Thalia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Scotland
Posts: 4,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaloFan
Ugh, there's some nasty swelling. He's not such a handsome guy anymore Not to sound gay or anything...
<<<<--------Thank God I got this poster framed before he got his face re-arranged. He's hideous looking now... I can barely look at him... he's a monster!!!

Thalia is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 12:45 AM
  #87
Knucklez
Registered User
 
Knucklez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Behind the bench!
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia
<<<<--------Thank God I got this poster framed before he got his face re-arranged. He's hideous looking now... I can barely look at him... he's a monster!!!
I heard his wife is leaving him...





just kidding, you wish eh?

Knucklez is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 12:59 AM
  #88
Thalia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Scotland
Posts: 4,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaloFan
I heard his wife is leaving him...




On a closer look, those scars don't really look too bad.

Thalia is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 06:12 PM
  #89
Miller259
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: "If hockeys to tough, go play tennis"-Bryan Marchment, Colorado Avalanche
Posts: 1,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2
Imagine Forsberg gets knocked down and as he gets up a player flicks the puck past him, skates 10 metres over to him and elbow/hip checks him in the head as he's getting to his knees. Nice clean form on the hip check, elbow in tight even if it did hit him in the head. Forsberg wasn't in possession but he was near the puck. Near enough to be legal and clean just like the Nassy hit. Should be legal, yeah right.

So? That's why he's so "prone to injury." Everybody plays him like that. They can't beat him, so they'll just beat him up instead

Miller259 is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 06:32 PM
  #90
rye&ginger
Registered User
 
rye&ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,156
vCash: 500
Its amazing how many people think its OK to hit players that dont have the puck or recently had the puck. The Avs d-man played the puck up the boards. Naslund never had possession.

rye&ginger is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 06:38 PM
  #91
Miller259
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: "If hockeys to tough, go play tennis"-Bryan Marchment, Colorado Avalanche
Posts: 1,620
vCash: 500
Happens all the time.

Miller259 is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 06:45 PM
  #92
rye&ginger
Registered User
 
rye&ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,156
vCash: 500
I guess you havent watched much hockey. Interference at a minimum and I've seen people tossed from games for hits like this. Hatcher got tossed last year for a similar play I believe.

rye&ginger is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 06:58 PM
  #93
Miller259
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: "If hockeys to tough, go play tennis"-Bryan Marchment, Colorado Avalanche
Posts: 1,620
vCash: 500




Hits like what?

Speaking of which, Forsberg almost got killed by Hatcher last year with a similar check (e.g. Forsberg never touched the puck....still a clearn shot though because he was looking down and behind him)

If anything, it's an argueable interference call. If Naslund hadn't reached for the puck, it's definately interference. Anyway, there's nothing about that hit that warrants Moore getting thrown out.....there has to be intent to injure......if anything, Moore did the opposite by trying not to go knee-to-knee with Naslund.

Miller259 is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 09:02 PM
  #94
punchy1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Kiwiville.
Posts: 2,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2
Imagine Forsberg gets knocked down and as he gets up a player flicks the puck past him, skates 10 metres over to him and elbow/hip checks him in the head as he's getting to his knees, smashes his head on the ice and is out for the season. Nice clean form on the hip check, elbow in tight even if it did hit him in the head. Forsberg wasn't in possession but he was near the puck. Near enough to be legal and clean just like the Nassy hit. Should be legal, yeah right.

Imagine that whales fly about with sharks as thier pilots throwing mad dosh at the sick children of the world. Imagine Michael Jackson is a normal man. Imagine that any of us have a legitimate understanding of what truly happens between NHL players. I mean, as long as we are imagining things that *never happened*, why not be creative about it.

Your proposed situation isn't close to what happened to MN. It is wildly innacurate. Along with several other glaring problems with your absolutely fantastical interpretation of what happened, one of the important bits you left off is where MN were reaching for the very puck that had, one second earlier been on the Moore's stick. Your imagination would have you believe that MN were skating along, minding his own pound when out of nowhere came this monster who knocked him down and before he could get back on his feet all the way, this other beast closed on him chasing him down at full speed leaving the poor and defenceless MN absolutely clueless to what were coming.

The whole play happened within a second and a half. Moore appears to have popped the puck and then as MN went to move it the two hit eachother with Moore intending contact to happen. MN tried for the puck that Moore had just touched, the two collided. NOTHING DIRTY HAPPENED. If Moore wanted to be dirty, he could have easily just raised his knee.

punchy1 is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 09:18 PM
  #95
Scottkmlps
Moderator
 
Scottkmlps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ladysmith, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,191
vCash: 500
Can we seriously move on from this? It's over. It's done, live with it.

Scottkmlps is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 09:26 PM
  #96
ducky
Registered User
 
ducky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Home of Kokanee Beer
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,996
vCash: 500
It would be fun to be able to see what discussions were in Vancouver when the infamous Peca on Selanne hit occurred.

As a Jet fan I thought it was an obvious late hit with attempt to injure. Selanne had passed the puck - made the huge mistake of watching his pass - took three strides and was nailed in the head.

Canuck fans likely thought it was a beautiful "finishing his check" kind of play.

ducky is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.