HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Semenov

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2004, 07:54 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Semenov

http://www.canoe.com/Slam040219/nhl_edm2-sun.html

THE BIG WHEEZY: Head coach Craig MacTavish put Alex Semenov through some taxing footwork drills after practice yesterday that had the big Russian wheezing.

"We wanted to make sure he got a good workload in," said MacTavish. "There's lots there, you just have to tap the tree."

Semenov says Denver's high altitude is murder on the lungs.

"After two rushes in practice you're (gasping) and saying why the heck am I so out of breath."

I wonder if there's something else wrong with Semi. I didn't notice it when I was in Denver over 10 years ago. But then again I wasn't doing anything strenuous or skating or running either. Who knows?

02-19-2004, 07:59 PM
USC Trojans
AD

The thin air in high altitudes is difficult when you're exercising. You always feel like you're not getting enough air in.

I'm just wondering why MacT decided to put Semenov through those drills? Is it for punishment? Or has his footwork been that bad lately? I'm just hoping that this is a regular drill and not his infamous bag skates.

Old
02-19-2004, 08:28 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
The thin air in high altitudes is difficult when you're exercising. You always feel like you're not getting enough air in.

I'm just wondering why MacT decided to put Semenov through those drills? Is it for punishment? Or has his footwork been that bad lately? I'm just hoping that this is a regular drill and not his infamous bag skates.
Totally true. A lot of pro athletes have gone to places with high altitudes specifically to train because the oxygen carrying capacity of your blood gets higher through necessity.

I don't think one workout does the trick though, from what I've heard you have to do it for a few weeks to get any real benefits and it's only a marginal amount anyways.

It seems like more of an excersize in pain endurance than anything else imo but I'm no doctor.

Old
02-19-2004, 08:42 PM
USC Trojans
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Totally true. A lot of pro athletes have gone to places with high altitudes specifically to train because the oxygen carrying capacity of your blood gets higher through necessity.

I don't think one workout does the trick though, from what I've heard you have to do it for a few weeks to get any real benefits and it's only a marginal amount anyways.

It seems like more of an excersize in pain endurance than anything else imo but I'm no doctor.
Yep, I once spent one month in Kunming, China during the summer for swim training cause the air was thinner there. It was probably the most excruciating month of my life. I couldn't finish programs that I could normally finish because my lungs felt like they were burning. I did feel a slight improvement in my endurance afterwards, so I guess it helped...but then my endurance always had sucked anyways cause I was strictly a sprinter. I think its all mental.

And you're right, its most likely a pain endurance...cause I had to suffer through cold showers and crappy training facilities for a month.

Closed Thread