HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

what was the thinking behind trading Dupuis?

Old
04-15-2007, 01:22 AM
GarretJoseph*

vCash: 500
That was an excellent trade. I'd do it again if Dupuis scores 7 goals in this series.

All of the trades Sather made this season were "good" in my opinion.

Ward for Mara I think was amazing.

Avery deal was amazing.

Dupuis, an UFA for a former 1st rounder... is great.. we did give up a 3rd with that though....

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 02:24 AM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
That was an excellent trade. I'd do it again if Dupuis scores 7 goals in this series.

All of the trades Sather made this season were "good" in my opinion.

Ward for Mara I think was amazing.

Avery deal was amazing.

Dupuis, an UFA for a former 1st rounder... is great.. we did give up a 3rd with that though....
yea a third in a very weak draft. Bourret is a first rounder that looks like he will be in the nhl. I cant say the same thing for the player we would have drafted.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 02:41 AM
cinthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
yea a third in a very weak draft. Bourret is a first rounder that looks like he will be in the nhl. I cant say the same thing for the player we would have drafted.

Are drafts weak? Or are there essentially the same talent in each years draft and just some years it's not as obvious.

cinthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 02:47 AM
StartLundqvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Sorry, looking back at my post, it can really be read very differently than what I intended.
No, it cannot be. You'd have to be an absolute moron to not see you were backing the guy up.

By the way, LondonRanger, no ***** Bourret is no Crosby. Last I checked, what prospect is Sidney Crosby? If you only want prospects that are Sidney Crosby's, well then, you are going to be pretty dissappointed about your prospects.

StartLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 02:49 AM
StartLundqvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by london ranger View Post
Clear Dupuis didn't fit I can see that.
Then why would you be upset about trading him.

StartLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 06:42 AM
gaglinefan

Pascal had his cup o joe; the plus started with moving Adam Hall who never was able to do much here. It got better by getting Bourett, whom I believe we had high on the radar the year he was drafted. We got better with the deal, gave a #3, pretty good move by Slats.

gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 07:17 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
This guy is a stud! Can you imagine Dupuis along with Avery......

What did we get for him? A bag of pucks?

I was asking a genuine question - I wasn't slagging off anyone.
I am questioning Bourret's ability to make it in the show, and make it with the Rangers.

Hartley is a fairly experienced coach, he is no moron. He knew what he had and what he needed
Why would he do such a trade if Bourret was such a stud and Dupuis a lame duck?

To some of you of amongst my critics - of course the answer is obvious. To me it's not.

From what I saw in Dupuis in Game 1 (and I have observed him with Wild before)
he would be have been an asset for us in the play offs. I certainly believe that he
would have brought us more short term (this season) than Callahan.

dupuis played 5/6 season's under Lemaire who I hold in high esteem. A player who lasts that long in Lemaire's team is
not a waste. If he didn't fit into OUR gameplan why did we take him in in the first place. Just to get rid of Hall????

Last edited by Sad London Ranger: 04-15-2007 at 07:24 AM.
Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 07:32 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I am questioning Bourret's ability to make it in the show, and make it with the Rangers.

Hartley is a fairly experienced coach, he is no moron. He knew what he had and what he needed

To some of you of amongst my critics - of course the answer is obvious. To me it's not.

he would be have been an asset for us in the play offs. I certainly believe that he

dupuis played 5/6 season's under Lemaire who I hold in high esteem. A player who lasts that long in Lemaire's team is
not a waste. If he didn't fit into OUR gameplan why did we take him in in the first place. Just to get rid of Hall????

That was part of it. And, remember, at the time of the deal the Rangers were in 12th place in the conference. Dupuis is a pending UFA, and the Rangers were given an opportunity to get back a prospect in Bourret that they were very high on in the 2005 draft. As for Dupuis as opposed to Callahan, in the stretch run, Callahan had scored some big goals for the Rangers, so he's already proved his value. He's also gaining big time experience. The slight upgrade Dupuis might have given the Rangers, which considering how good the PK has been so far, I'm not sure exactly how much more Dupuis could add, is negligible to what this means in the future for both Callahan and the Rangers.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 08:35 AM
aylib
User and abuser

Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82 View Post
He played great in just ONE GAME against us... Minnesota traded him away for a reason (Defensive Liability) and his offensive ability wasn't enough of a compensating factor...
He is far from a defensive liability.
Dupuis killed penalties on the Wild, which says a lot.

The reason Pascal was traded- he acted/spoke out against Lemaire.

aylib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 08:48 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

We Want the Cup, I believe.

Old
04-15-2007, 09:34 AM
DutchShamrock

I have actually been impressed by Dupuis' defensive and penalty killing play, but the question is do we miss what he is bringing to the table. The last time I looked, our pk has been great for 2-3 months and it is absolutely smothering the Thrasher powerplay. Our team has been far and away the best defensive team since the All-Star break. No, what we need is a bit more scoring throughout our lineup which has picked up during our run. Dupuis wasn't the answer there.

So I don't think we are losing too much in the present. We obviously aren't losing anything (actually gaining) in the future since Dupuis is UFA this summer. We packaged him with a 3rd round pick and got a great developing asset. True, he's no Crosby but Dupuis' no Crosby either so I don't really get that argument.

This isn't like Fedetenko for Pittkanen. It's not like a 'slam-dunk' trade backfired and blew up in our faces. It's not like a supposed spare part is killing us and torching us in the playoff series. This was a good trade and it's hard to find any ill-effects that are resulting from it.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 09:46 AM
JerseyRangers

Its a trade you make regardless of what Dupuis does in the playoffs. We added Bourret a kid with a very promising future who has really been playing great in Hartford. Our penalty killing has been great. Actually by moving Dupuis we've given more ice time to Avery -- I'll take more ice to Avery and the rest of the time to Cally over Pascal any time. Nope, I've got no problems with the trade -- in a few years we will be calling it a steal for the Rangers!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 11:12 AM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinthree View Post
Are drafts weak? Or are there essentially the same talent in each years draft and just some years it's not as obvious.
A lot of drafts have players that have a lot of players that will be sure fire things like the 2003 draft was. (too bad we got the only bust of that first tound, jessiman ) but other drafts its just more watered down and its harder to find talent. And in my opinion this is going to be one of those drafts. Honestly the rangers couldnt have picked a better year to look good in the playoffs and get a crappy pick. But looking at how they drafted the last few years, they might be able to turn metal into gold again.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 02:12 PM
cinthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
A lot of drafts have players that have a lot of players that will be sure fire things like the 2003 draft was. (too bad we got the only bust of that first tound, jessiman ) but other drafts its just more watered down and its harder to find talent. And in my opinion this is going to be one of those drafts. Honestly the rangers couldnt have picked a better year to look good in the playoffs and get a crappy pick. But looking at how they drafted the last few years, they might be able to turn metal into gold again.
You mean gold into metal?

cinthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 03:04 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

The Rangers NHL scouts deserve a heck of a lot of credit for identifying these NHL players who were available at relative bargain prices and seeing how they could impact the team.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 03:10 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:

Than Callahan? Ok, if you said Orr then I might have went with you but Callahan? No way dude! Callahan has been MONEY for us. He hits, skates hard, scores & plays with a lot of passion.

Cally is the man.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:

This isn't about Dupuis and his value as a player, it's about a decision the Rangers made in thinking Dupuis is most certainly not in their plan. They didn't mean to trade him, but got a chance to get Bourret who according to some they really wanted in the draft, and they pushed the trigger on it.

Trading him for Hall was to get rid of a disappointing player, and get a good PKer while Shanahan was injured.

All in all, I disagree that Dupuis would have been better than Callahan for the Rangers. Ryan is getting valuable experience for next season while playing awesome. Dupuis on the other hand might have played just as good or better, but then he'd be gone, and Ryan would only then be starting to get his experience.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 06:15 PM
Kari32fan

Alex Bourret is a very overated guy and is an out of shape wanna be. You got less than a bag of pucks for Dupius

Kari32fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari32fan View Post
Alex Bourret is a very overated guy and is an out of shape wanna be. You got less than a bag of pucks for Dupius

16goals, 34 assists 50 points in 68 combined games. and oh yeah, hes one of, if not the youngest player in the AHL.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 06:31 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Where did you buy your sour grapes? I've been looking for them all over and can't find them for a reasonable price (a UFA and a 3rd is all I am willing to pay)...

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 06:31 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Nice way to lose ALL credibility on your 22nd post, but feel free to post more nonsense..

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 06:51 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post

16goals, 34 assists 50 points in 68 combined games. and oh yeah, hes one of, if not the youngest player in the AHL.

KariFan is having a bad week. His Patrick Roy got pulled.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Avery Ranger Fan

To be honest I was surprised that we got something decent back for Adam Hall straight up, and to then trade a player like Dupuis along with a 3rd, for a 1st rounder with upside is a no-brainer.

Credit were credit is due, Slats did a great job at the trade deadline, making some great moves to bolster this teams playoff push.

Last edited by Avery Ranger Fan: 04-15-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Avery Ranger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 08:59 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
This guy is a stud! Can you imagine Dupuis along with Avery......

What did we get for him? A bag of pucks?
Not trying to be offensive to this person when I ask this but, is this a serious question. I think the real question here is what was the thinking behind trading FOR dupuis???

Seriously, what has Dupuis done for Atlanta. There has only been 2 games played in this series. Dupuis had two points in the first one. Does this mean we should have kept him? He didnt show up on the scoresheet in the 2nd one. You can talk all you want about how fast he is but he did nothing here and he really hasnt done much in Atlanta. He runs around the ice trying to hit people, and when someone finally hits him (Ortmeyer, game 1), he goes down and doesnt get up because Avery is right, there's too much french canadian in him. He's pathetic and I'm glad we traded him. Look at what we got for him. Bourret is a top prospect. Waddell seriously has something wrong with himself for trading Bourret for Dupuis of all the players to trade for. He coulda cut a better deal and didnt. The Rangers won the deal by a landslide and they're winning this series 2-0. Dumb move by Atlanta.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 09:37 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Not trying to be offensive to this person when I ask this but, is this a serious question. I think the real question here is what was the thinking behind trading FOR dupuis???

Seriously, what has Dupuis done for Atlanta. There has only been 2 games played in this series. Dupuis had two points in the first one. Does this mean we should have kept him? He didnt show up on the scoresheet in the 2nd one. You can talk all you want about how fast he is but he did nothing here and he really hasnt done much in Atlanta. He runs around the ice trying to hit people, and when someone finally hits him (Ortmeyer, game 1), he goes down and doesnt get up because Avery is right, there's too much french canadian in him. He's pathetic and I'm glad we traded him. Look at what we got for him. Bourret is a top prospect. Waddell seriously has something wrong with himself for trading Bourret for Dupuis of all the players to trade for. He coulda cut a better deal and didnt. The Rangers won the deal by a landslide and they're winning this series 2-0. Dumb move by Atlanta.
Now I don't think that is true. We saw him get hit just moments before he scored a goal for us. I would agree that he goes down easy, but to say that he's pathetic is a bit over the top.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote