HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Policy of not negotiating with upcoming UFAs

Old
04-14-2007, 03:41 PM
BaseballCoach

vCash: 500
Policy of not negotiating with upcoming UFAs

Bob Gainey has stated that his policy is not to negotiate with players who will be free agents, once the season has started.

I think this is going to pose increasing difficulties over the years as unrestricted free agency becomes ever easier to obtain.

For example, after living with the stress of the status of Souray/Markov plus Bonk/Johnson in 2006-2007, we will be faced in 2007-2008 with uncertainty over Cristobal Huet, Mark Streit, and probably Michael Ryder (if he inks only his usual one-year deal).

In 2008-2009, we will probably have to live on pins and needles over Saku Koivu, Alex Kovalev, Steve Begin, Mathieu Dandenault, Francis Bouillon, Garth Murray and probably Mike Komisarek. That's a YIKES!!!!

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Hab-Dawgs

I won't be "living on pins and needles" for kovalev, begin, dandenault bouillon or murray....

komi will be signed long term and as far as koivu's concerned I don't think he's sticking around..

Hab-Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Belso

Koivu will want to leave IF Gainey does not give him a winning team soon

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 04:25 PM
Miller Time

no need to worry about Koivu since he's apparently "exempt" from this ridiculous "policy"...
Let's hope Komi has played well enough by then to earn himself an exepmtion as well!!!

aside from that, I gotta say we are looking pretty good as far as UFA's are concerned the next two years.
THe only really key guy is Huet, and by the end of next year I think that Halak/Price will have shown enough that Huet will only be kept if he accepts a much smaller role/contract.

If we come out of this year's summer well (lock up markov, sign souray or another top 3 d-man, and add a UFA foward that COMPLEMENTS/improves our top 6) we will be in a great position for at least a few years.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 04:53 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
There's nothing ridiculous with that... Gainey is trying to build a «team» from within, he setted those policies when he had some perspective on it why would he change now? There's no reason to make an exception because it's Sheldon Souray.

Everything's clear from now on, there's no contract talk in the dressing room. I think thats a good policy that will pay off in the long run.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
There's nothing ridiculous with that... Gainey is trying to build a «team» from within, he setted those policies when he had some perspective on it why would he change now? There's no reason to make an exception because it's Sheldon Souray.

Everything's clear from now on, there's no contract talk in the dressing room. I think thats a good policy that will pay off in the long run.
if it's such a good policy for building the "team", why:

- did he make an exeption for Koivu?

- Don't any of the other successful G.M's use it? (Holland, Lou, Burke, Sutter etc.)?

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 05:24 PM
znk

I think this policy has to be changed. Because when other potential UFA`s sign the players and agents of unsigned UFA's gain a stronger position because UFA's will be rarer during the summer. So more teams will fight over fewer UFA'S and prices could go up.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 06:15 PM
David_99

It's a good way of screening out who is in it just for the money.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 06:26 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Hard to say if it's really a policy or not. It might be a "strong preference", but I imagine that if, say, the Markov or Souray camps had stepped up and really made a strong case for signing early (i.e. at a bargain), Gainey wouldn't have refused. One hopes he wouldn't have, anyway.

In some ways, it's a good idea to wait... you need those players playing hard right to the end, nobody coasting on a new massive contract. Also with the kind of money being thrown around these days, you don't want to spend it if a guy tanks, blows out a knee, etc.

But nevertheless I do generally agree that the Habs should have no policy one way or the other... "try to keep the players that can help the team succeed" is the only policy I'd subscribe to. And of course, that could involve locking up impending UFAs in mid-season if necessary.

There were only two candidates to consider signing mid-season this year, IMHO... Markov and Souray. But since they're two of the bigger names in the whole league available this summer, it's not entirely surprising that they might have played a part themselves in having the negotiations moved primarily to the off-season. Impossible for us to know if there's a policy there or not.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Hard to say if it's really a policy or not.
Haven't we heard in a couple of occasions Gainey saying that himself that he doesn't want to negotiate during the season no matter what?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Haven't we heard in a couple of occasions Gainey saying that himself that he doesn't want to negotiate during the season no matter what?
I think the "no matter what" is more inferred than actually stated? Didn't he also say at various points that he was talking to them during the season?

Anyway, Koivu again stands as the definitive counterexample to "no matter what".

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 07:28 PM
milou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
if it's such a good policy for building the "team", why:

- did he make an exeption for Koivu?

- Don't any of the other successful G.M's use it? (Holland, Lou, Burke, Sutter etc.)?
Durocher said in one article that Koivu wasn't an exeption for Gainey . It 's Saku's agent that called uncle Georges and asked him to " convince " Gainey to proceed .

It's probably the reason why he got that 4,75 m$ with a no clause ; i suppose that Gainey only asked to his agent what he wanted , or to Gillet how much he wanted to give to Saku .

milou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 07:31 PM
milou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
yes he said it few times .

I suppose that he don't want a player to be a distraction if the negotiatiions don't go the way he would have like .

milou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 07:39 PM
Dr. Zoidberg

Just from an my perspective: as a sabres fan, Regier has the same policy. It used to frustrate the hell out of me, but the counter-argument could be seen on Long Island and Toronto earlier this year. Both Tucker and Blake were pushing for contract extensions in the middle of a playoff hunt; it created unnecessary distractions, especially in Toronto. The media was swarming around Tucker for a few weeks straight.

Dr. Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I think the "no matter what" is more inferred than actually stated? Didn't he also say at various points that he was talking to them during the season?

Anyway, Koivu again stands as the definitive counterexample to "no matter what".
I was going to write "no matter what except Koivu" but didn't....shame on me...

I just hope in the end, if he's talking to them, hope the players are frank enough to give him their real intentions. I hope that, if it's the case, Souray might have gone to Bob and say that whatever amount on the table, he has no intention of signing. Same with Markov, hope that he and his agent were frank enough to say that he loves Montreal, it's his first choice but will see with the negotiations. With that in my mind, even though you didn't negotiate, you know on which grounds you are.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 04:13 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Bob Gainey has stated that his policy is not to negotiate with players who will be free agents, once the season has started.

I think this is going to pose increasing difficulties over the years as unrestricted free agency becomes ever easier to obtain.

For example, after living with the stress of the status of Souray/Markov plus Bonk/Johnson in 2006-2007, we will be faced in 2007-2008 with uncertainty over Cristobal Huet, Mark Streit, and probably Michael Ryder (if he inks only his usual one-year deal).

In 2008-2009, we will probably have to live on pins and needles over Saku Koivu, Alex Kovalev, Steve Begin, Mathieu Dandenault, Francis Bouillon, Garth Murray and probably Mike Komisarek. That's a YIKES!!!!
Who knows if Gainey will even be there for 2008-2009. I think next season may be the last chance he has to prove himself.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote