HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

kyle cummiskey

Old
04-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Jarb

vCash: 500
kyle cummiskey

hi guys, i just what to know if kyle will be in NHL next year ?
What is the upside of this player?
Can we see him in the top 6 , top 4 in the futur ?

thx ...

Jarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 08:41 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Hard to say. The Avs will likely be making changes to the blue line this offseason. Kyle had a very good training camp last September, but its probably going to be a numbers game for him. He's definately an NHL calibur player. Wont be great defensively, but a nice addition to the PP and a solid third pairing defenseman in the future.

Old
04-14-2007, 01:21 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Cumiskey is a highly talented player, however his defensive game is not great. He obviously can improve his play in his own zone, but his size works against him. Like Jori said unless he can overcome his size and become a better player in his own zone he will be a third pairing PP quarterback.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 06:57 AM
Draft Dodger

I still say it's hard to envision both him and Liles on the same roster.

Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 09:51 AM
12# Peter Bondra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
Only if the other 4 guys are behemoths but I agree with you. The D would be tiny if both of them were in the top 6.

12# Peter Bondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 02:08 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12# Peter Bondra View Post
Only if the other 4 guys are behemoths but I agree with you. The D would be tiny if both of them were in the top 6.
Size queen.

Don't get me wrong I agree with you 100% but I don't think this team brings in big d-men and uses them effectively. There is something about our system that treasures sitck-checks and poke-checks to body checks. It's frustrating because I like to watch physical games but the AVs simply shy away from that and use positioning and stick-work instead. I believe bringing in d-men who will seperate a player from the puck and take the skater out of the play would go a long way in helping out the team. We do fair with work along the boards, not great, not terrible but fair. However, we try too often to lock sticks or poke the puck which neither eliminates the player or the puck from the play but often puts our d-men out of position. I'm not sure if that is something that is coached or what. We just don't finish checks consistantly. We need a combination of d-men willing to play that game combined with a coach who endorses that style.

If not...well I have no problem with Liles and Cummiskey on the same team. At least they are both good offensively. If we are going to use d-men as forwards we might as well have skilled and fast forwards filling that role.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 02:21 AM
12# Peter Bondra

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
Size queen.

Don't get me wrong I agree with you 100% but I don't think this team brings in big d-men and uses them effectively. There is something about our system that treasures sitck-checks and poke-checks to body checks. It's frustrating because I like to watch physical games but the AVs simply shy away from that and use positioning and stick-work instead. I believe bringing in d-men who will seperate a player from the puck and take the skater out of the play would go a long way in helping out the team. We do fair with work along the boards, not great, not terrible but fair. However, we try too often to lock sticks or poke the puck which neither eliminates the player or the puck from the play but often puts our d-men out of position. I'm not sure if that is something that is coached or what. We just don't finish checks consistantly. We need a combination of d-men willing to play that game combined with a coach who endorses that style.

If not...well I have no problem with Liles and Cummiskey on the same team. At least they are both good offensively. If we are going to use d-men as forwards we might as well have skilled and fast forwards filling that role.
I am a size queen .

12# Peter Bondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 03:28 AM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
I've mentioned this a few times myself, and I agree with you 100%. It just doesn't make any sense to me to have two undersized, offensive defenseman on the roster. One of them will be traded, and I'd prefer it to be Cummiskey, even though he has the potential to develop into a very good D-man.

Liles just seems to have more of that "it" factor to me. He's a leader, he scores clutch goals, he's very smart at knowing when to jump into the play, and maybe most importantly he's already proved himself at this level, where as Cumiskey hasn't. Another thing I like about him, is when he charges up the ice on the breakout, especially on the PP, he looks very confident and in command of the play. He's got a presence with the puck that backs forecheckers up, and freezes them in their tracks almost.

Liles has also showed me that he very easily has the potential to lead all defenseman in scoring. He also showed early in the year that he had improved his defensive play very much, but unfortunately I think his injury severely effected him in that department later in the year.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 04-15-2007 at 03:41 AM.
Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 03:35 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Keeping Liles or Cumiskey? It's up to Liles, if he wants to sign with Colorado long-term. Liles will be UFA after 2007-08 season. I think Liles is a better player and always will be, but that's just my opinion.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 06:23 AM
El_Loco_Avs

If can get big dman to partner with both liles and cumiskey it shouldn't be that big an issue right?

Especially when/if Clark leaves...

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote