HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Vezina Wide Open

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2004, 02:42 PM
Arastiroth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by luongofan
I don't remember who said it, but I remember reading that if Luongo were in ANY other city in the US, he would be a star. Have to say I agree, but of course I am biased.
I think most people think he is a star. He doesn't get much press cause he's in Florida, but that doesn't mean he isn't a star.

Old
02-19-2004, 03:04 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator
Brodeur will get it just because he has become the media's new goaltending darling. Last year showed that.
JS Giguere was the medias new goaltending darling throughout the playoffs. ESPN and ABC hyped him and trumped him every chance they could when he was at the top of his game to sell the sport better. Now all of a sudden, great defense and goaltending is no longer en vogue to sell this same sport.

Old
02-19-2004, 04:12 PM
Rowsdower

Send a message via AIM to Rowsdower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint
I will be disappointed if Luongo doesn't get it, as he very well deserves it... anyone who has watched a Panther game can tell you that. He should also get serious consideration for the Hart, as he has most certainly been more valuable to the Panthers than any other player has been to any other team.

But what do I know, I'm just a homer!
If the Cats can squeak into the playoffs, I can't see how they could not at least give Luongo a very long look for the Hart (IMO if this scenario happens he should win it)....but IMO they will fall short, so I don't see Roberto winning the Hart....I could see him as a Vezina finalist, but I think Broduer will win the Vezina again....Abby and Nabokov are some others in the race....Raycroft has excellent numbers.....if Turco can be dominant down the stretch, he may have an chance as well....as good as Kipper's been for Calgary, I just don't think he'll have enough games played...it's a shame too, because he's got some impressive numbers.....the Sharks have really been pumping out goaltenders.....first Hedberg busted out with Pittsburgh and now Kipper on the Flames....

Last edited by Rowsdower: 02-19-2004 at 05:08 PM.
Old
02-19-2004, 04:49 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
Anyone pimping Kiprusoff needs to look at John Grahame's numbers.

NAME GP W L T GAA TGA SV SV% TSA SO
Miikka Kiprusoff 20 14 3 2 1.46 28 444 .941 472 1
John Grahame 23 15 6 1 1.76 39 454 .921 493 1

Pretty similar, eh? And Grahame is in no way, shape or form deserving of a Vezina nomination.
SIMILAR sure. But there is a .020 difference between their save percentages and that's pretty significant. That's the same difference as between a .910 goalie (respectable) and a .890 goalie (not at all respectable.) I'd say Kipper's .940 SV% is far more impressive.

Old
02-19-2004, 05:04 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by luongofan
MLB set an example last year giving A-Rod the MVP. Think about it -- Most Valuable Player, if there is a player more valuable to their team than Luongo, I would love to know about them.

I don't think he will win it, but he definately deserves consideration.

It's amazing how Grahame can get recognition for the Vezina before Luongo. Must have been a slight memory problem.

I don't remember who said it, but I remember reading that if Luongo were in ANY other city in the US, he would be a star. Have to say I agree, but of course I am biased.
Because sports award shows are about politics as much as worthy recipients. How did Niklas Lidstrom go unawarded for so long before starting his string of consecutive Norris Trophies? How did Brodeur get snubbed for the Vezina when he should have won?
Indeed if your team makes the playoffs, you have a better chance of getting an award, especially if your team squeaks into the playoffs(see Theodore). Age also plays a factor into it. I'm not saying Luongo's not deserving, but given the past award shows, he probably won't win any for a few years. Once he makes it big(ie when Brodeur is no longer around/declining in play), he will get the spotlight. But until Brodeur and his shutouts go away, I'm afraid Luongo will have to be quietly successful. Oh yeah, it would help if Dudley could get him some freaking help defensively. It could improve his stats in the W column.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:04 PM
Higgy4

I think Kiprusoff has been fabulous for the Flames. But there is now way the Vezina will go to a goalie who plays less than 40 games. So, just forget about him for this year. Maybe next?

Old
02-19-2004, 10:26 PM
Wyvern

I think that Turco will still have to be considered for the Vezina/Hart.

Sure, his numbers are not that great right now, but Brodeur winning the Vezina last year it goes to show that number are not everything. When Dallas was down and only scoring 1-2 goals a night, Turco found a way for them to get wins/points. He has played in all but 3 games for Dallas so far this season. Several weeks worth with a broken foot.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:30 PM
OBCT

Send a message via MSN to OBCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
I think Kiprusoff has been fabulous for the Flames. But there is now way the Vezina will go to a goalie who plays less than 40 games. So, just forget about him for this year. Maybe next?
Yeah, maybe next.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:32 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern
I think that Turco will still have to be considered for the Vezina/Hart.

Sure, his numbers are not that great right now, but Brodeur winning the Vezina last year it goes to show that number are not everything. When Dallas was down and only scoring 1-2 goals a night, Turco found a way for them to get wins/points. He has played in all but 3 games for Dallas so far this season. Several weeks worth with a broken foot.
Turco is terrific. I think he is pretty unappreciated sometimes. In another thread some people are really giving him no respect. Without Turco, the Stars arent even sniffing the post season.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:37 PM
No Quarter

If it were me voting, I'd give it to Turco.
I think he's the best goalie in the league.

Closed Thread