HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Transporation Advice going to Games 3 and 4, Taxies/Trains/Subways etc

Old
04-15-2007, 12:48 AM
gamera

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to gamera Send a message via AIM to gamera Send a message via MSN to gamera Send a message via Yahoo to gamera
OT: Transporation Advice going to Games 3 and 4, Taxies/Trains/Subways etc

hey guys,

I will be flying in Tuesday and my flight doesn't get in until 5:15 (couldn't go any earlier cuz of work ) and I'm flying into LaGuardia. What would be the fastest way to get to the Garden from there? taxi (it will be rush hour), subway? LIRR?

do you think i'll be able to make it by puck drop? i'm not checking any bags.

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks!!

gamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 12:53 AM
broadwayblue

Taxi is definitely the most direct route. LGA to MSG should run about $40. Assuming you're in the cab by 6pm you should make it for opening faceoff.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 12:55 AM
gamera

Send a message via ICQ to gamera Send a message via AIM to gamera Send a message via MSN to gamera Send a message via Yahoo to gamera
thanks!!! definitely easier than figuring out the trains

Old
04-15-2007, 12:58 AM
broadwayblue

I've never taken a train to/from LGA and I wouldn't have a clue how to go that way. And unless traffic was horrendous, I would imagine it would take a lot longer than a cab.

Old
rickyrod

What hotel are you staying at? Most Likely, taxi/walking will be easiest for you most of the time unless you are staying outside of midtown.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Taxi is definitely the most direct route. LGA to MSG should run about $40. Assuming you're in the cab by 6pm you should make it for opening faceoff.
ye thats definitely the most convenient way to go.. you might run into a bit of traffic, but if you get a cab by 6, you should be fine.

good luck dude... that is on getting to the game (hehe)

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 01:04 AM
gamera

i'm staying across from msg @ the pennsylvania ... so i can run over there and drop my bag off and then head over to the game.

ideally i'd like to make it for warmups, but i'll be ok if it doesn't work out. i'll be able to be there for warmups for the wed game.

thanks again for your help, y'all

see you tuesday!!

are alot of HFers @ the games? it would be cool to meet in person i'll have on a blue xlb 2 jersey and my friend will have on a white hossa jersey. (marian )

Old
04-15-2007, 01:05 AM
rickyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamera View Post
thanks!!! definitely easier than figuring out the trains

You can get a subway map at most stops in the city itself (stops with a manned booth in the boroughs). You'll look like a tourist if you open it up on the actual subway, which you may want to avoid.

But, unless you are staying more than 10-15 blocks away from the Garden or want to see some stuff/people, don't bother. It's a good walking city.

Old
04-15-2007, 01:11 AM
broadwayblue

or just go to mta.info and you can check out all the maps online.

Old
04-15-2007, 01:36 AM
zacn

You will be fine taking a cab. Traffic will be going out of the city, you'll be one of the few going in. Don't sweat it.

zacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 01:42 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
hey guys,

I will be flying in Tuesday and my flight doesn't get in until 5:15 (couldn't go any earlier cuz of work ) and I'm flying into LaGuardia. What would be the fastest way to get to the Garden from there? taxi (it will be rush hour), subway? LIRR?

do you think i'll be able to make it by puck drop? i'm not checking any bags.

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks!!

I'm just gonna warn you. You have no idea what you're in for. The Garden is gonna scare the living hell out of you Tuesday night. It'll be like nothing you've ever seen in your life. Enjoy tho!

As for getting there, cab is no doubt the way to go.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 02:16 AM
FLYLine24*

I'll let this stay open(instead of moving it to the tourist thread) for our ATL fans visiting NYC for the game and our non-local Ranger fans doing the same....it's playoffs time so i've got a big heart (plus us being up 2-0 helps )

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 02:45 AM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
Quote:
i'm staying across from msg @ the pennsylvania ... so i can run over there and drop my bag off and then head over to the game.

ideally i'd like to make it for warmups, but i'll be ok if it doesn't work out. i'll be able to be there for warmups for the wed game.

thanks again for your help, y'all

see you tuesday!!

are alot of HFers @ the games? it would be cool to meet in person i'll have on a blue xlb 2 jersey and my friend will have on a white hossa jersey. (marian )

Ive met a few. As for Balej's comments above. I hope you dont mind not hearing the national anthem, because you wont. Blueland is great, but come playoff time (and especially with the rangers up 2-0) we New Yorkers know how to rock a house Have fun

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 10:55 AM
gamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
I'll let this stay open(instead of moving it to the tourist thread) for our ATL fans visiting NYC for the game and our non-local Ranger fans doing the same....it's playoffs time so i've got a big heart (plus us being up 2-0 helps )
thanks, dude

and thanks everyone for all the help and advice!! i can't wait!!

oh, and i fully expect to get heckled and booed. as long as it doesn't get physical, which i certainly hope it doesn't, as i'm all of 110 lbs....

Old
04-15-2007, 11:07 AM
lundy

I will be at the Wednesday game..best of luck getting here man,hopefully the weather will clear up a bit

lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 01:52 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
thanks, dude

and thanks everyone for all the help and advice!! i can't wait!!

oh, and i fully expect to get heckled and booed. as long as it doesn't get physical, which i certainly hope it doesn't, as i'm all of 110 lbs....
Nah unless people get drunk and beligerent (or wear Isles, Devils or Flyers jerseys while doing so), there are not usually fights and since you are a woman (I believe), it definitely won't happen.

I'll be at wednesday's game too. It is going to be absolutely nuts

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 02:58 PM
Fletch

Definitely cab...

can't guarantee if you'll get there by puck drop..with this weather and LaGuardia's penchant for late arrivals, and traffic heading west (which is better than going the other way at leat), you never know. There's really no subway option unless you takea bus to a subway, and that's a recipe for disaster for an out-of-towner (and even a guy like me who typically takes public transportation). Good luck getting in and enjoy the game! Should be a great game and great experience...

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Choice

If you have a lot of bags it probably isnt a good idea trying to bring them into the Garden

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 03:50 PM
in the hall

if you have bags go to the hotel first since you won't get in the building..

personally I would NOT take the cab from LGA to MSG after 5ish.. the traffic heading both into the city and in the city is just terrible, especially since you can just take a 20 minute train ride (E train) to Penn Station (MSG) maybe 10-15 minutes from LGA

if you don't have bags and want to go direct from LGA.. two things, either take the 47 bus from LGA (first stop is in the airport) to its final stop at 74st and Roosevelt, from there take the E-train downtown and it brings you directly to MSG, exactly a 20 minute train ride and I know this because this is how I get to MSG so I've timed it .. the bus lets you off right in front of the subway so there is no walking and no way to get lost

or take a cab from LGA to 74 st and Roosevelt (again 10-15 min ride) then take the E train from there

save you an assload of money and time

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 03:54 PM
in the hall

wow just read some of the other posts.. do yourself a favor and read mine, I just saved you a good hour+ and about $50..

I have taken this route before from LGA to go other places so I know this is pretty easy.. Q47 bus is direct to the E train which is direct to MSG.. literally no walking for you except getting to the bus stop which is already in the airport

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 04:28 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
wow just read some of the other posts.. do yourself a favor and read mine, I just saved you a good hour+ and about $50..

I have taken this route before from LGA to go other places so I know this is pretty easy.. Q47 bus is direct to the E train which is direct to MSG.. literally no walking for you except getting to the bus stop which is already in the airport
I'm not sure which posts you are referring to...but taking a bus and train from LGA would not be an hour+ faster than taking a cab. And considering the cab fare from LGA to MSG is not going to be more than $50, I'm not sure how you would be saving the OP that amount unless your method is free. Not to mention carrying bags on a bus and train is a PITA.

Old
04-15-2007, 06:20 PM
rickyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
Except you're putting gamera and whoever she is going with on a bus and a rush hour subway to midtown with luggage which is a cruel and unusual form of punishment for all parties involved.

Old
04-15-2007, 06:24 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod View Post
Except you're putting gamera and whoever she is going with on a bus and a rush hour subway to midtown with luggage which is a cruel and unusual form of punishment for all parties involved.
Agreed.

Just take the cab, gamera.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 06:45 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Yeah go with the cab.

Traffic won't be TOO bad since you'll be going IN to the city and most other people will be going back home away from the city. Plus if you get the benefit of a driver that ignores the speed limit, you'll make great time You may have your heart in your throat, but you will definitely get to MSG in time.

As it was mentioned, drop your bags off at the hotel before the game. Not sure how much luggage you will have, but you probably don't want to bring that into the arena. I'm sure you have that figured out though and they will probably let you just drop it off at the front desk since you have reservations there.

But if possible, avoid taking the subway/bus with luggage. I've done that many, many times and it's a nightmare. Just friday I went up to stay over at my dad's apartment in Westchester and I had to carry an overnight bag plus a bag containing a suit on a rush-hour Metro North train. When I got off at my stop, I must have accidentally hit at least 23 people with my luggage, lol

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 06:50 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

yeah, take it easy on gamera. she helped me out big time with parking, directions, etc.

really really really cool person

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote