HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trading the 9th overall pick

Old
04-15-2007, 01:43 PM
VanW27

vCash: 500
How about one of your other 1st rounders for Ian White, hes already a solid top 6 NHL d-man with top 4 potential, he had a good rookie season. Good offensive game and worked well with Hal Gill as his partner this year (partner with Woywitka perhaps).

White and Leafs 2nd

for

Atlanta or NJ 1st and a 4th/5th

or maybe:

White

for

Blues 2nd and a 4th/5th.

VanW27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 01:55 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwychen27 View Post
How about one of your other 1st rounders for Ian White, hes already a solid top 6 NHL d-man with top 4 potential, he had a good rookie season. Good offensive game and worked well with Hal Gill as his partner this year (partner with Woywitka perhaps).

White and Leafs 2nd

for

or maybe:

White

for

Blues 2nd and a 4th/5th.
I think I can speak for everyone here - the Blues need scoring wingers, not D-men. No thanks.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 02:48 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
How about one of your other 1st rounders for Ian White, hes already a solid top 6 NHL d-man with top 4 potential, he had a good rookie season. Good offensive game and worked well with Hal Gill as his partner this year
The BLues are already in a position where we may have to deal off a D man; and you want us to add another one? And one that would be on the BOTTOM of our depth chart to boot? TO be nice; no thanks.

Quote:
(partner with Woywitka perhaps).
Do you even know who Woywitka is?
YOU do NOT put two offensive minded D men on the same pairing unless you're talking about a Pronger/Neids or Lidstrom/Schneider caliber player. Even then you TRY to split them up to balance out your lines.
Simply put; this is a DUMB idea.

Quote:
White and Leafs 2nd

for

or maybe:

White

for

Blues 2nd and a 4th/5th.
1) The ONLY D man we'd give up a 1st round pick for is a Pronger/Neid's caliber #1. The Blues have NO NEED OR DESIRE to pick up more depth at the position.

2) You GROSSLY overestimate White's value. You'd be lucky to get the Blues 3rd round pick for him. He is a #5 D man at this point in his career and has a LOT of work to do in the defensive zone before he will ever go much higher than that.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 02:50 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
I think I can speak for everyone here - the Blues need scoring wingers, not D-men. No thanks.
You don't speak for me.
The Blues need a legit #1 center; not wingers.

THe only thing we need on the wing right now is for Rucinsky and Cajanek to leave.

Old
04-15-2007, 05:20 PM
2ForRoughing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
You don't speak for me.

THe only thing we need on the wing right now is for Rucinsky and Cajanek to leave.
why do we need Ruckinsky to leave? We'd lose one of our most effective forwards.

2ForRoughing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 05:20 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
You don't speak for me.

Agreed. Centers make wingers, not vice-versa.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 05:29 PM
St.Louis sports fan

The Blues actually need an entire number 1 line. They are not going to go anywhere with Weight, Cajanek, and Rucinsky on the top line. Stempy is more of a second liner and I'd say that Boyes is the only top liner the Blues have right now. I like Ian White, but he doesn't fill a need and so I'd pass.

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 05:31 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:

White and Leafs 2nd

for

or maybe:

White

for

Blues 2nd and a 4th/5th.
Yeah, if you're looking to trade White for a pick you're looking at the wrong trading partner - we have too much D.

However, I do like the polls you've been running on other teams' boards about who would the fans want... I see you got all the way through Columbus. Helps to test the theory of whether a team like Columbus (for example) who needs D will take BPA regardless, and obv the fans would question them not taking BPA.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 05:35 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Louis sports fan View Post
The Blues actually need an entire number 1 line. They are not going to go anywhere with Weight, Cajanek, and Rucinsky on the top line. Stempy is more of a second liner and I'd say that Boyes is the only top liner the Blues have right now. I like Ian White, but he doesn't fill a need and so I'd pass.
IMO, they need to build a top 9 forward base like Buffalo's - long term. Where it's three dangerous lines and a mix of skills on each. In that scheme, whether Stempniak was a traditonal first or second liner would be irrelevant. Teams would have so much trouble focusing on which line or two lines to concentrate on defending that the production of all three lines would go up.

Old
04-15-2007, 06:09 PM
barnburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForRoughing View Post
why do we need Ruckinsky to leave? We'd lose one of our most effective forwards.
There is no denying Rucinsky's considerable talent. Problem is - you can't count on him because any little ailment, or injury sends him to the IR.
Give me someone with less talent that shows up every night.

barnburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 06:29 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Louis sports fan View Post
The Blues actually need an entire number 1 line. They are not going to go anywhere with Weight, Cajanek, and Rucinsky on the top line. Stempy is more of a second liner and I'd say that Boyes is the only top liner the Blues have right now.
I agree.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 06:34 PM
2ForRoughing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnburner View Post
There is no denying Rucinsky's considerable talent. Problem is - you can't count on him because any little ailment, or injury sends him to the IR.
Give me someone with less talent that shows up every night.
he's no worse than Doug "Wait, I can't play, Coach"

2ForRoughing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 06:36 PM
trublu16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
IMO, they need to build a top 9 forward base like Buffalo's - long term. Where it's three dangerous lines and a mix of skills on each. In that scheme, whether Stempniak was a traditonal first or second liner would be irrelevant. Teams would have so much trouble focusing on which line or two lines to concentrate on defending that the production of all three lines would go up.
Well we are working towards this. We know that we have at 1 full line already taken. The Stempy/Jay Mac/Backes line appears to prety solid line that will get even better next season. That is all depending on how much time they end up with each other.

But for those other six spots, we do have 2 guys that will make this team take the next major step in the right direction. Those 2 are Soderberg and Berglund. Theses 2 are your top 2 centerman of the furture. They are they most important 2 prospects that we have right now. The future offense will revolve around these 2. But we probably won't see Soderberg until the middle of next season, because his recovery time for his eye injury. And Berglund is more than likely 2 seasons away from coming to the States.

So We need to keep this pick and keep trying to improve with high draft picks. But the other 2 1st rounders, I would have no problem with using 1 to trade for a temporary #1 center. Or putting both of them together to get a another top ten pick for this year. Not sure if any of it will happen or not. But I will do as I always do when it comes to the draft, at least what I have done lately. I will trust Jarmo to bring home at least 1 steal in the draft. Just like he did when snagged Berglund.

trublu16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 06:39 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
No Worse than Weight?

Do you mean how Weight played all 82 games this year? Or do you mean how he played 70 games the year before? Or do you mean how he played all, but one playoff game, during the cup run? Or you must be talking about the strike year when he didn't play in any games..because before that he played in 75 games in 2003-2004 season...And the 2002-2003 season he played in 70 games?

What would you like Weight to do...break Cal Ripken's steak?

Old
04-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:

White and Leafs 2nd

for

or maybe:

White

for

Blues 2nd and a 4th/5th.
We overpay HUGE.

They'll need to throw in EJ to make that work.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 06:50 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
We overpay HUGE.

This is getting funny. Note to Leafs fans: stop offering us D or discussing how fair or unfair your random and arbitrary offer of D to us is on our section of the boards. We aren't interested in acquiring D or generating/debating deals where you dump your D on us.

Old
04-15-2007, 06:57 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
This is getting funny. Note to Leafs fans: stop offering us D or discussing how fair or unfair your random and arbitrary offer of D to us is on our section of the boards. We aren't interested in acquiring D or generating/debating deals where you dump your D on us.
Hey Leafs fans...got any Defense for us??

Old
04-15-2007, 07:23 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Rucinsky is a solid player and a decent enough stop-gap; but he's exactly that, a stop-gap. We need him to leave so that we can go with more of a long term solution on the wing(such as Oshie). It's nothing personal against Rucinsky, it's just a matter of how to upgrade the team.

Old
04-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Checker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
We overpay HUGE.

The words "throw in" and EJ should never EVER be used in the same sentence.

I'm just going to assume for your sake that you are confused/intoxicated and are talking about maybe Ryan Johnson and not Erik Johnson. Once again

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 09:04 PM
barnburner

Quote:
I disagree. Weight has a long history of playing hurt - to the point that sometimes it would have been better if he had pulled the plug and got well before going back.

Ruscinsky thinks a hangnail requires 2 weeks in the hospital.

barnburner is offline   Reply With Quote