HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Transporation Advice going to Games 3 and 4, Taxies/Trains/Subways etc

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-15-2007, 07:10 PM
  #26
danno2530
 
danno2530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,453
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Always willing to welcome fellow hockey fans to MSG to show them the greatest experience in the league Hell I even brought a friend of mine who is a Wings fan to the game in february. Dunno if I would bring my friends who are Isles and Devils fans though

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 07:15 PM
  #27
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,453
vCash: 500
Broadway...

bus+subway saves about $48, assuming $50 for a cab ride - pretty close (I believe there would be a free transfer). Personally, though, busses can be slow and the subway also could be slow and you may not save time, and coming from out of town, most importantly, one can get lost with the transfers.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 07:33 PM
  #28
gamera
Registered User
 
gamera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kovalchuk Army HQ
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 6,475
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to gamera Send a message via AIM to gamera Send a message via MSN to gamera Send a message via Yahoo to gamera
i took the train from NJ to Penn station in December on a Sunday and it was horrible with luggage. I don't mind spending an extra $40-$50 for the convenience of not having to deal with lugging around a bag on public transportation (especially since i don't know my way around).

thanks for all the suggestions, though! you have been most helpful.

if you see me, say hi. i'll most likely be holding an inflatable moose head up at warmups if hedberg gets the start (will deflate it before going to my seat)



yeah, it kinda looks more like an elk or a deer, but the package said moose

gamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 08:55 PM
  #29
RothmanHockey
Registered User
 
RothmanHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Port Chester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,666
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Yeah go with the cab.

Traffic won't be TOO bad since you'll be going IN to the city and most other people will be going back home away from the city. Plus if you get the benefit of a driver that ignores the speed limit, you'll make great time You may have your heart in your throat, but you will definitely get to MSG in time.

As it was mentioned, drop your bags off at the hotel before the game. Not sure how much luggage you will have, but you probably don't want to bring that into the arena. I'm sure you have that figured out though and they will probably let you just drop it off at the front desk since you have reservations there.

But if possible, avoid taking the subway/bus with luggage. I've done that many, many times and it's a nightmare. Just friday I went up to stay over at my dad's apartment in Westchester and I had to carry an overnight bag plus a bag containing a suit on a rush-hour Metro North train. When I got off at my stop, I must have accidentally hit at least 23 people with my luggage, lol
I've done that on an inbound train coming home from school... I don't know who gets more annoyed on the trains, the other passengers or me lol.

I would say definitely take a cab. Also, I THINK, though don't quote me, but a trip from LGA is a flat rate of 40 or 50. Don't quote me on that, but I definitely think its a flat rate.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 09:32 PM
  #30
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
Also, I THINK, though don't quote me, but a trip from LGA is a flat rate of 40 or 50. Don't quote me on that, but I definitely think its a flat rate.
The flat rate is for JFK.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 09:40 PM
  #31
in the hall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
Agreed.

Just take the cab, gamera.
you don't even live in NY..

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 09:51 PM
  #32
in the hall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod View Post
Except you're putting gamera and whoever she is going with on a bus and a rush hour subway to midtown with luggage which is a cruel and unusual form of punishment for all parties involved.
guys.. i take this route every tuesdays and thursdays at this time.. the "rush hour" in the subway heading into the city is not even worth calling rush hour, its rush hour in the morning.. rush hour going to queens at this time, and it always clears up at Lexington (first stop in the city, 3 after 74st)

the bus ride is in a very relaxed part of queens and is very short, its an easy 20 minutes with normal traffic, there isn't even much traffic until the one block before the last stop which is where the subway is

the train ride is an express train, E train.. exactly 20 minutes from that stop to 34 st

if you drive, which i have done many times before, you are either taking the midtown tunnel which is probably your worst option just because of cross town traffic.... or taking 59st bridge which at this time just getting on the bridge will take maybe 10-15 minutes..

anyway it really depends on baggage and comfort.. and money i suppose.. if you have much carry on you really should go to the hotel first because i can't imagine being let in with everything.. and yes if you do have this then take the cab.. as for comfort obviously i don't suggest taking the subway if you don't feel comfortable doing so.. and money well its $2 taking the bus/train versus $50 taking a cab

anyway i hate the subway myself but i hate traffic even more.... i have a car and i've driven only twice to ranger games/work this season and that was only because it was raining and i had to pick up a few people.. just offering my imput since i pretty much go this route


Last edited by in the hall: 04-15-2007 at 10:00 PM.
in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 09:56 PM
  #33
in the hall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I'm not sure which posts you are referring to...but taking a bus and train from LGA would not be an hour+ faster than taking a cab. And considering the cab fare from LGA to MSG is not going to be more than $50, I'm not sure how you would be saving the OP that amount unless your method is free. Not to mention carrying bags on a bus and train is a PITA.
i wasn't really referring to any post.. the wow was shock factor on the price it would cost from taking a cab and also i think the traffic is going to be a bigger pain in the behind then the inconveniance of taking the train (assuming no luggage is involved)

driving to MSG maybe won't save an hour plus, but it will be close to an hour at least.. and it obviously does save the OP money since its just $2 to get on the bus then free transfer to the train

once again.. i am assuming this is all without carrying bags because how can the OP even get into MSG with it?

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 09:59 PM
  #34
in the hall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamera View Post
i took the train from NJ to Penn station in December on a Sunday and it was horrible with luggage. I don't mind spending an extra $40-$50 for the convenience of not having to deal with lugging around a bag on public transportation (especially since i don't know my way around).

thanks for all the suggestions, though! you have been most helpful.

if you see me, say hi. i'll most likely be holding an inflatable moose head up at warmups if hedberg gets the start (will deflate it before going to my seat)

yeah, it kinda looks more like an elk or a deer, but the package said moose
well there ya go.. if you have luggage then forget public transportation.. but i am curious if you are going directly to MSG how you are going to deal with the luggage?! my friend was stopped for having a backpack with her.. you might have a hard time with the baggage

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 10:22 PM
  #35
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
once again.. i am assuming this is all without carrying bags because how can the OP even get into MSG with it?
I believe the OP said she was staying at the hotel directly across from the Garden and was going to stop in real quick to drop off bags before shooting over to the game.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 10:43 PM
  #36
gamera
Registered User
 
gamera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kovalchuk Army HQ
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 6,475
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to gamera Send a message via AIM to gamera Send a message via MSN to gamera Send a message via Yahoo to gamera
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I believe the OP said she was staying at the hotel directly across from the Garden and was going to stop in real quick to drop off bags before shooting over to the game.
yes, i'm at the pennsylvania hotel across the street. i'm not going to bring bags into the arena

it's not like i have alot of luggage, just my laptop and a carry on, but it is still a pain on the subway....

that being said, if it is a significant time saver to do the public transportation, i'll do that. i'm more worried about the time factor than the money. i can be uncomfortable on a train if it takes me half the time, for sure.

but so far most ppl have suggested a taxi...


gamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 10:50 PM
  #37
danno2530
 
danno2530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,453
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamera View Post
yes, i'm at the pennsylvania hotel across the street. i'm not going to bring bags into the arena

it's not like i have alot of luggage, just my laptop and a carry on, but it is still a pain on the subway....

that being said, if it is a significant time saver to do the public transportation, i'll do that. i'm more worried about the time factor than the money. i can be uncomfortable on a train if it takes me half the time, for sure.

but so far most ppl have suggested a taxi...

I honestly have never taken the train/bus from LGA so I'm not too sure how long it takes, but there probably won't be much traffic going towards the city at that hour, so I would recommend that if money isn't an issue and time is the only factor.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 11:25 PM
  #38
TomLaidlaw
Registered User
 
TomLaidlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Transylvania
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,177
vCash: 500
1)Gamera...isn't that the name of the giant turtle that was friends with Godzilla. Don't ask me why I know that...lol. If you are indeed Gamera the giant turtle then just stomp your way from Laguardia to MSG.

2)I would not bring that inflated moose head into the 400's. Thats the best advice you will get in this thread.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 11:29 PM
  #39
in the hall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamera View Post
yes, i'm at the pennsylvania hotel across the street. i'm not going to bring bags into the arena

it's not like i have alot of luggage, just my laptop and a carry on, but it is still a pain on the subway....

that being said, if it is a significant time saver to do the public transportation, i'll do that. i'm more worried about the time factor than the money. i can be uncomfortable on a train if it takes me half the time, for sure.

but so far most ppl have suggested a taxi...

i think most people are suggesting a cab simply because they are not familiar with either route.. as i said before this is something i driven before and i take the subway this way regularly so i know how it is

either way, i would doubt you make warm ups in time if you leave LGA at say around 5:30ish.. they start letting fans in at 6 (i think its a 7pm start?).. might as well take the cab and not feel rushed or worried

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 11:32 PM
  #40
in the hall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
2)I would not bring that inflated moose head into the 400's. Thats the best advice you will get in this thread.
if it's anything like the last couple games at MSG.. odds are she'll have a lot of support

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 11:41 PM
  #41
danno2530
 
danno2530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,453
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
1)Gamera...isn't that the name of the giant turtle that was friends with Godzilla. Don't ask me why I know that...lol. If you are indeed Gamera the giant turtle then just stomp your way from Laguardia to MSG.
I was thinking that too..I remember my Mystery Science Theater

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 11:45 PM
  #42
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer
 
Whoot Whoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
guys.. i take this route every tuesdays and thursdays at this time.. the "rush hour" in the subway heading into the city is not even worth calling rush hour, its rush hour in the morning.. rush hour going to queens at this time, and it always clears up at Lexington (first stop in the city, 3 after 74st)

the bus ride is in a very relaxed part of queens and is very short, its an easy 20 minutes with normal traffic, there isn't even much traffic until the one block before the last stop which is where the subway is

the train ride is an express train, E train.. exactly 20 minutes from that stop to 34 st

if you drive, which i have done many times before, you are either taking the midtown tunnel which is probably your worst option just because of cross town traffic.... or taking 59st bridge which at this time just getting on the bridge will take maybe 10-15 minutes..

anyway it really depends on baggage and comfort.. and money i suppose.. if you have much carry on you really should go to the hotel first because i can't imagine being let in with everything.. and yes if you do have this then take the cab.. as for comfort obviously i don't suggest taking the subway if you don't feel comfortable doing so.. and money well its $2 taking the bus/train versus $50 taking a cab

anyway i hate the subway myself but i hate traffic even more.... i have a car and i've driven only twice to ranger games/work this season and that was only because it was raining and i had to pick up a few people.. just offering my imput since i pretty much go this route
You are nuts to take a cab to midtown at that time of the day. Listen to this guy.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 11:46 PM
  #43
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamera View Post
yes, i'm at the pennsylvania hotel across the street. i'm not going to bring bags into the arena

it's not like i have alot of luggage, just my laptop and a carry on, but it is still a pain on the subway....

that being said, if it is a significant time saver to do the public transportation, i'll do that. i'm more worried about the time factor than the money. i can be uncomfortable on a train if it takes me half the time, for sure.

but so far most ppl have suggested a taxi...

easiest way sal....ditch the tickets, stay at home, watch it on TV

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 11:58 PM
  #44
TomLaidlaw
Registered User
 
TomLaidlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Transylvania
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
I was thinking that too..I remember my Mystery Science Theater


lol, I typed in Gamera on youtube and this is what I found, i guess i was right. Gotta love the oldschool japanese movies.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w18A-aGta88

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 12:03 AM
  #45
gamera
Registered User
 
gamera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kovalchuk Army HQ
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 6,475
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to gamera Send a message via AIM to gamera Send a message via MSN to gamera Send a message via Yahoo to gamera
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
easiest way sal....ditch the tickets, stay at home, watch it on TV
hahahha yeah right!

to answer some questions:

yes, gamera is the turtle godzilla monster....i had a turtle named gamera as a pet for a long time (19 years!); it is also my license plate

no, i will not be bringing the moose into the 400s...he'll be deflated after warmups

but if i miss warmups on tuesday, i'm guessing kari will start wednesday so the moose may get any face time anyway

another completely unrelated question: is there a subway to the bronx zoo? i have a good friend who works in the reptile house (i was a reptile keeper at zoo atlanta) and may want to go there wednesday....it's free on wednesdays, too, isn't it? suppose i could just ask joe LOL

ok see y'all in a few days!!

gamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 12:22 AM
  #46
tjs252
Registered User
 
tjs252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 489
vCash: 500
Biggest problem should be getting in on time to LGA.

That time of day is just a bear to be on time coming in...you'll probably circle Virginia several times.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 12:22 AM
  #47
TomLaidlaw
Registered User
 
TomLaidlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Transylvania
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,177
vCash: 500
#2 or #5 train to East Tremont Ave/West Farms Square to get to the Bronx zoo. That leaves you a short walk away from the zoo.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 02:19 AM
  #48
rickyrod
Registered User
 
rickyrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: nyc
Country: United States
Posts: 1,294
vCash: 500
Hope she got out of the building alive tonight.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.