HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Kovalev to St Louis Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2004, 07:08 AM
BLACKBURN

vCash: 500
Kovalev to St Louis Proposal

Kovalev + Leetch

for

Salvador, 1st + McClement/Hemmingway

Anyone got any constructive opinions or ideas?

Old
02-19-2004, 07:30 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
Kovalev + Leetch

for

That deal is just dreadful from a NYR perspective.

Old
02-19-2004, 07:34 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
1. Despite the fact that both those players are UFA, those two players would probably put THIS SEASON's pay structure out of whack for St. Lou.

2. NYR probably could get a little more value for those two, but they do get quicker, younger, and cheaper, and that's a good start.

Old
02-19-2004, 07:35 AM
Dropkick Alex

Quote:
Kovalev + Leetch

for

Rangers get screwed. The first pick is the only real reason the NYR would do this trade.

Old
02-19-2004, 07:36 AM
jedicujo

Quote:
Kovalev + Leetch

for

I think this is a bad deal for St. Louis.

I'm not sure what Kovalev and Leetch's contract situations are, but I'm pretty sure that Salvador for Leetch is a lateral move at best from a Blues perspective, all things considered (salary, age). Salvador is one of the more consistent Blues defenders when he's 100%.

I'm not sure the Blues need to be trading away any more 1st rounders.

Maybe not so much a bad deal as it is unnecessary.

Old
02-19-2004, 07:51 AM
fatnickmo

Take Leetch out of the equation. Kovalev I would be interested in.

With what Bondra just brought I think the equivalant would be Hemingway and a second. This is similar to what Bondra was traded for and he is under contract for next year whereas Kovalev is an UFA.

Old
02-19-2004, 12:14 PM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Pleau already said we wont be shipping out any 1st rounders. So that part definately wont work.

Old
02-19-2004, 12:37 PM
DontTouchMyDonskoi
4everFerkland

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatnickmo
This is similar to what Bondra was traded for and he is under contract for next year whereas Kovalev is an UFA.
AK's contract expiring makes him worth MORE not less.

Dont kid yourself.

DR

Old
02-19-2004, 12:38 PM
xevious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
1. Despite the fact that both those players are UFA
Leetch has a year left on his deal after this season.

Agreed about getting younger, quicker, etc.

Old
02-19-2004, 01:04 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

How 'bout Joel Lundqvist, Jason Bacashihua and a 1st (15th/20th) for thw two?

Old
02-19-2004, 01:06 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedicujo
I think this is a bad deal for St. Louis.

I'm not sure what Kovalev and Leetch's contract situations are, but I'm pretty sure that Salvador for Leetch is a lateral move at best from a Blues perspective, all things considered (salary, age). Salvador is one of the more consistent Blues defenders when he's 100%.

Yeah, Salvador vs Leetch would be a lateral move for the Blues. :p

Old
02-19-2004, 01:09 PM
NYR469

Quote:
1. Despite the fact that both those players are UFA, those two players would probably put THIS SEASON's pay structure out of whack for St. Lou.
kovalev is a ufa but leetch has 1 more year left on his contract @ $6.5 mil...

both leetch & kovalev are each owed roughly $1.8 mil the rest of this year...

the big wildcard is the fact that the rangers don't need to dump salary...they aren't looking to unroll payroll, but rather simply blow the whole thing up and get younger...so that means that if $$ is an issue and the rangers were run by someone with half an ounce of common sense (which they aren't) the rangers could pick up part or all of the remain salary in order to increase the trade value...

Old
02-19-2004, 01:29 PM
jedicujo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9

Yeah, Salvador vs Leetch would be a lateral move for the Blues. :p
Salvador makes $1.2M. Leetch makes more than 5 times that.

I fail to see how trading a young, solid defenseman for one of many overpaid Rangers on the verge of retirement is anything BUT lateral.

It's completely unnecessary and definitely not what the Blues are looking for.

Old
02-19-2004, 01:39 PM
ginner classic

crazy thing is that Kovalev would be a far more fiscally responsible acquisition for Burke than Cassels. Like everyone else I would prefer to pay the going rate for O'Neill as he can play centre in a pinch which may be necessary. Kovalev is a more attractive option than any other name I have heard though.

Old
02-19-2004, 02:03 PM
Davisian

Quote:
I fail to see how trading a young, solid defenseman for one of many overpaid Rangers on the verge of retirement is anything BUT lateral.
Maybe I can help clear it up for you..

You'd be trading a young solid defenseman for an older but supremely more talented game breaking defenseman, who's got a MINIMUM of 4 seasons left in the tank, and who's contract is right at market value for players of his caliber (but even then freight can be paid by the Rangers)..

If it's not what the Blues are looking for fine, but it would be FAR from lateral..

Ranger fans don't want Leetch traded unless its an offer they can't refuse.. Sending Leetch AND Kovalev for Salvador a 1st and a prospect is quite easily refused..

Old
02-19-2004, 02:15 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Salvador makes $1.2M. Leetch makes more than 5 times that.

It's completely unnecessary and definitely not what the Blues are looking for.
Yes, Leetch makes more money and is older than Salvador (soon to be 36 vs. 28) but any reference to these players being traded for one another and being a lateral move is ridiculous.

If you know anything about Leetch it's this:

1. He'll probably play another three to four years at a level that Salvador can only hope to achieve.

2. Leetch normally draws the opponents best line and routinely has to battle the larger forwards in the East such as Thornton, Sundin, etc.

3. Leetch can quarterback the powerplay something Salvador can't do.

4. At any given time, Leetch can take over a game and make Bobby Orr type moves to turn a game around. Can Salvador do this? I don't think so. If you don't think Leetch can, ask the Islander fans what happened last year when Leetch, single handedly beat the Isles.

Just my opinion but a #1 dman for a #4, just isn't a lateral move!

Last edited by Jackson Ranger: 02-19-2004 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Age was wrong for Salvador
Old
02-19-2004, 02:23 PM
jedicujo

I'm not trying to argue that Salvador is Leetch's equal in terms of skill. There is no doubt in my mind that Leetch is a far superior player--one of the best American-born players of all time.

MY POINT, since all of you seem to have missed it, is that the financial burden of Brian Leetch is what makes this an undesirable trade for the Blues, a team that currently has nearly $30M wrapped up in just three of its players.

The Blues would undoubtedly benefit from having a player like Leetch, but they simply cannot afford (in a financial sense) to do it. Keep Salvador.

Old
02-19-2004, 02:26 PM
BLACKBURN

I was just suggesting it as Panger was saying how St Louis is a good fit for Kovalev. And I thought seeing how your record recently has slipped you may be interested in upgrading your blueline. Without Macinnis thsi year I thought you would want another top 4. From a Ranger point of view I think another team would be better as St Louis dosent have the assets/are willing to part with the assets they have.

What other teams would be good fits for the Rags? Maybe Dallas for Leetch certainly.

Old
02-19-2004, 02:35 PM
jedicujo

The Blues got what they needed with the Weinrich trade, and the return of Matt Walker. With Jackman returning next season (ignore for a moment the fact that there most likely will not BE a 'next season'), there really isn't a need to trade for players locked up for a long time; things will get sorted out.

I could see the Blues renting a puck-moving defenseman like Leetch, just one that's MUCH less expensive. What does Poti's contract status look like?

I don't like Kovalev. He might be a good addition, but Weight and Kovalev diving all over the ice together would be an embarassment.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:55 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
rangers have no need for bacashihua with blackburn and henrik lundqvist in the system...

what about joel lundqvist & 1st/2nd for kovalev?

Old
02-19-2004, 11:04 PM
Ozy_Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
That doesn't address the Rags need at all. Cash is useless with Blackburn in the system, and Lundy is redundant with Murray and Moore in the system as well. The first is alright, but you're asking for two superstars who the Rags probably don't mind holding on to.

You're going to have alter that trade to include both Trevor Daley AND Steve Ott.

Old
02-20-2004, 12:37 AM
c-carp

Quote:

2. NYR probably could get a little more value for those two, but they do get quicker, younger, and cheaper, and that's a good start.
Great Fantasy trade for the Blues if they really want to try and win now, but that is too much salary to take on.

Old
02-20-2004, 12:39 AM
c-carp

Quote:
The Blues got what they needed with the Weinrich trade, and the return of Matt Walker. With Jackman returning next season (ignore for a moment the fact that there most likely will not BE a 'next season'), there really isn't a need to trade for players locked up for a long time; things will get sorted out.

I could see the Blues renting a puck-moving defenseman like Leetch, just one that's MUCH less expensive. What does Poti's contract status look like?

I don't like Kovalev. He might be a good addition, but Weight and Kovalev diving all over the ice together would be an embarassment.
If Kovalev could finish off some sweet Doug Weight passes, I dont care how much they try for an academy award.

Closed Thread