HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Off-ice goalie conditioning

Old
04-12-2007, 06:10 PM
fullmetal2405

vCash: 500
Off-ice goalie conditioning

Just wondering what sorts of drills and exercises would be best for me to get in shape (I've put on quite a bit of weight since my season ended) I'm hoping to play in college and would like to be in better shape by then... hehe...

Not looking for just cardio (though that would be of some assistance) but also something I can do to keep my reflexes in order.

Also, anything I can do in terms of butterfly/ half butterfly mechanics so I can keep that in top shape? Besides just dropping and getting up again in my living room... Thanks guys

fullmetal2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal2405 View Post
Just wondering what sorts of drills and exercises would be best for me to get in shape (I've put on quite a bit of weight since my season ended) I'm hoping to play in college and would like to be in better shape by then... hehe...

Not looking for just cardio (though that would be of some assistance) but also something I can do to keep my reflexes in order.

Also, anything I can do in terms of butterfly/ half butterfly mechanics so I can keep that in top shape? Besides just dropping and getting up again in my living room... Thanks guys
Tennis balls are your friend. Either juggling or just catching them off of the wall is good for basic reflexes. If you have someone who will work out with you there are some great drills you can do. Get a bunch of tennis balls and give the other person a tennis racket. Have them hit the balls at you (not really that hard) just like you would face shots. Good for the reflexes. I actually know of a good number of drills like this from when I played and from coaching. PM me if you want more and I'll try to do a better job explaining.

Clarence Beeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 09:34 PM
fullmetal2405

sounds like a plan. Anyone else have anything? And I just thought of another question. How could I work on my shot/pass? I'm a natural righty shot, but since I hold my goalie stick righty I have to shoot lefty. My shot's okay, but not great. Can't even come close to shooting the full length of the ice, and if I take more than 3 shots or so in one practice, my forearm starts to hurt a bit. Any suggestions on how I can work on my shot, given the lack of an ice rink and a lack of space in and around my house?

Old
04-15-2007, 11:53 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
sounds like a plan. Anyone else have anything? And I just thought of another question. How could I work on my shot/pass? I'm a natural righty shot, but since I hold my goalie stick righty I have to shoot lefty. My shot's okay, but not great. Can't even come close to shooting the full length of the ice, and if I take more than 3 shots or so in one practice, my forearm starts to hurt a bit. Any suggestions on how I can work on my shot, given the lack of an ice rink and a lack of space in and around my house?
There's nothing stopping you from flipping your stick around and shooting righty when you want to play the puck. Something I can suggest to get more zip on your passes is to lean on your stick and use its flex to pass harder.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:

Why not play more hockey? Open hockey is free for goalies and you can't get any better conditioning than by playing

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 11:40 AM
fullmetal2405

Yeah, I've been trying to get out more for open hockeys, but it's not quite that easy for me. :-\ The rinks by my house are usually only free for the first 2 goalies that show up, so I'd have to make sure i'm there early-ish. Problem is it's usually only once a week and I'm trying to work to save up for a set of RBK 6k pads, as well as stuff for me dorm.

Old
04-16-2007, 12:28 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
I've heard some goalies play raquetball to keep their reflexes intact.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote