HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Newbie stick.

Old
04-05-2007, 11:47 PM
Danrik
It is what it is.

vCash: 500
Newbie stick.

Going to start playing for real now! I'm taking some adult skating/hockey skills classes before joining a league and I need a stick. I'm thinking 2 piece? I don't really want to shell out for the 1 pieces and is wood just "old" and "heavy" these days?

From the local web sites the Easton Octane seems like a decent price, but I'm guessing the quality isn't as good as the higher priced models. Would this be a good shaft for me to start out with?

How do I size it? Also, should I get 2? What if I break mine during a game? And I suppose I now need a heat gun to put it together?

Thanks in advance for the responses (if any )!

Danrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 12:26 AM
BuddehJuS

Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
From what I've read, wood is always a great starting point while learning. 2 piece can run you in the range of $130 bucks which is expensive. You can get two good wood sticks for $60 and your not at the skill level where you would gain the benefits of a 2piece. But, if you got the money and it will make you happy, I say go for it!

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 12:43 AM
EazyB97

Buy a lighter wood stick to start. Something along the lines of the Sherwood 5030, Nike Quest, Easton makes a few nices wood stick (called the something "lite"), One60. These won't be too heavy, get you some hands and will dampen the feel. If you MUST composite, look for close-out models which are on sale. Don't buy an Octane or Ultra Carbon because it's in your price range. It's overpriced crap and there's better buys out there to be had.

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 12:53 AM
ClicheGuevara

Sher-Wood 5030, Crosby curve.

ClicheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Impact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik View Post
From the local web sites the Easton Octane seems like a decent price, but I'm guessing the quality isn't as good as the higher priced models. Would this be a good shaft for me to start out with?
The Octane is low grade trash. One good slash and you'll be heading to the bench to get your spare. I know first hand...

I would recommend just starting with wood. You'll develop your stick handling more quickly with wood because of better puck feel.

If you really really want to go with a composite, the CCM Vector is my choice. I bought 3 of these 2 years ago and still have 2. The toe of the first one I used finally got chewed up enough after a year of constant use that I just retired it. It still probably had a lot left in it though!

Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Danrik
It is what it is.

THanks for the tips guys. I think I'll pick up a couple of the Sherwood 5030's at Canadian Tire this weekend. Quick question though: What do you guys mean when you say the wood has better feel? Every time I touch the puck or accept a pass I will feel it more through the stick?

Old
04-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Impact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik View Post
THanks for the tips guys. I think I'll pick up a couple of the Sherwood 5030's at Canadian Tire this weekend. Quick question though: What do you guys mean when you say the wood has better feel? Every time I touch the puck or accept a pass I will feel it more through the stick?
Exactly, wood transmits the vibrations of the puck hitting or moving across the blade better. Most people can more easily tell where the puck is on the blade as well as what it's doing.

Old
04-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Danrik
It is what it is.

Sounds good!

Old
04-06-2007, 12:20 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
As it was said already...Sherwood is nice, the One60 is really light for a woodie, and Easton has the Z-Carbon which lotta people like.

If you ever wanted an Octane, buy a blade and stick it in a piece of PVC pipe...pretty much the same thing.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Impact

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
If you ever wanted an Octane, buy a blade and stick it in a piece of PVC pipe...pretty much the same thing.
LMAO, i think the PVC is stronger!

Old
04-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Redden Hogalot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosh View Post
Yeah!

I use that stick in my ball hockey league.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosh View Post
Great pick. Also try the Bouchard curve. Montreal makes pretty good wood sticks as well. Their Euro curve is a bit of a hook though.

If you want to go for a one-piece go for the Bauer One50 (around $70) or the One70 ($100).

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 07:22 PM
windflare

Don't touch the One50 or the One70. There are better OPS's out there for similar prices. And really, if you aren't sponsored, using a blade/shaft combo is much more economical than an OPS.

Start with wood - many players actually stick with wood, but definitely start with wood. Part of it is cost, so if you back out, as some folks do, you won't have spent an arm and a leg on a stick. The other major reason is a wood stick helps with training your arms - they are heftier than composites, and they have a good feel.

Sherwood makes good wood sticks - the 5030 Crosby curve is a good one to learn on. CCM's Vector line of woodies are also pretty good, their blades are made of a composite material. The V40/V50s especially are great - try the Lecavalier or Recchi to start out. Easton isn't really known for their woodies, but if you can find one, use a Sakic curve. Nike Bauer's One20 and Flexlite 8s/10s are good wood sticks - try the Naslund curve to start learning. Don't pick the Kovalchuk curve to start out with.

If you insist on a shaft/blade combo, the Easton Cyclone is a cheap shaft that will be good for you. There are some steals out around Vancouver for buying shafts, esp. second hand, but you have to look carefully. Ice Level Sports in Richmond has Easton Ultra Graphite shafts for cheap for roller league players.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 11:50 PM
Redden Hogalot*

Have you seen the Sher-Wood 5030 stick, Coffey curve?

That is just gross. Hahahaha.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 04:58 AM
windflare

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoh15 View Post

Hated it. It's hideous.

Old
04-15-2007, 02:47 PM
spamojones

I like this thread! I've done a bit of research on good beginner sticks before this, but I am in need of a bit more help. I'm only 5'3 (female if that helps any) and am looking for a decent stick. I'm assuming it would be good for me to get a Junior model instead of a Senior one and cut it down ridiculously. The thing is, from what I can see online, the Junior models don't necessarily have a variety of different blades.

Any suggestions?

spamojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 05:09 PM
windflare

Get some intermediate shafts - they should work well, and intermediate shafts take senior blades. If you've tried it and liked junior shafts better, go with the juniors - they also have quite a variety of blades to choose from, though maybe not as many patterns. Also, one of the Easton sticks was designed for female hands - the Octane or Typhoon, I'm not sure. I think it's the Typhoon - that might be worth looking into. But I think a short intermediate shaft or junior will work well.

Go to www.hockeymonkey.com and check out stuff there. www.hockeygiant.com also has a good selection. Many other sites out there as well, but I usually use those two.

Old
04-15-2007, 05:33 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoh15 View Post

Hey dont diss that stick, I can nail the top corner of the net from the edge of the crease.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 07:34 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by windflare View Post
Get some intermediate shafts - they should work well, and intermediate shafts take senior blades. If you've tried it and liked junior shafts better, go with the juniors - they also have quite a variety of blades to choose from, though maybe not as many patterns. Also, one of the Easton sticks was designed for female hands - the Octane or Typhoon, I'm not sure. I think it's the Typhoon - that might be worth looking into. But I think a short intermediate shaft or junior will work well.

Go to www.hockeymonkey.com and check out stuff there. www.hockeygiant.com also has a good selection. Many other sites out there as well, but I usually use those two.
Just say no to the Octane...I think it was the Cyclone even that was made thinner. But they do offer woodies in intermediate flexes so you could go for any of the choices that were mentioned already.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 08:00 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'll agree with those that said the 5030. Probablly one of the best wood sticks ever

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 03:56 PM
KevFist
is best pony

When I played Defense, I always used a Hespeller one piece wooden stick. Best stick I've ever used!

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 04:05 PM
lotus

5030 is the way to go. I've yet to see a single hockey store that doesn't carry the 5030. And that's for a reason

Just don't get it from like a modells or something. Odds are theyre really old and have no flex, and even the blade can be weak. One i picked up from there, I broke the blade on within 4 shots.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote